• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Essays are still quite subjective. The main reason I do so well in English was because I flat out asked my teacher at the beginning of the year, "What do you like to see in an essay?" It's all about what the marker likes emphasized. ;o

Less subjective than multiple choice test mind you :P

I think teacher biases are more prevalent in grade school unfortunately... Whereas in post-secondary, profs a lot of the time, take the time to read your paper, and look at it in an objective manner. Both my history and english teacher were like that. :)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Really? I've heard from people I've spoken to taking/having done university that it's far more subjective, because the professors are opinionated, and they expect their students to have the same view. Maybe it's just NZ universities. XD;

To keep it on topic,

If your fic is focused in an original setting, how intensively do you develop the setting of your fic? If it is focused in a canon setting, do you tend to change much of it?

Bay

Years
  • On the essays part, yeah in my university (American, ya) the professors and teacher assistants are very opinionated. Sometimes I would have them look over my essays and they would say your argument would be better this way. :P

If your fic is focused in an original setting, how intensively do you develop the setting of your fic? If it is focused in a canon setting, do you tend to change much of it?
    I mention already for the original version of NE I have the places based upon real life ones (BIG BEAR! XD), so I developed them quite a bit. For the new version of NE, it's set in Sinnoh so I mostly kept it the same, at least for the anime version. However, I do add some buildings as I think it's reasonable the buildings I had put could be ones in the anime, considering some of the cities in the anime are huge. @_@

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I tend not to focus on the setting unless if a great deal of time is spent there, or if the plot is important.

You'd have to set up a good argument. If anyone has read Life of Pi, the story can be taken a few ways. Like that the story with the Tiger is actually true, or that the more sickly way (forget its summary atm) was actually true, when recounting it to the Japanese investigators. While this wasn't the question in the essay, I adhered to the belief that the tiger portion of the story was correct, and indirectly backed it up with evidences pertaining to the original question.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • If your fic is focused in an original setting, how intensively do you develop the setting of your fic? If it is focused in a canon setting, do you tend to change much of it?

Probably not as much as I should have, lol. Interestingly, I found it easier to develop the setting of the cities rather than the routes and natural features of my region. One city's set up as an island with Southern-style antebellum homes, another island town features lavish estates of the rich and famous. I have a beachfront resort city modeled after Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach, as well as two college towns. One of those said college towns has a town-wide obsession with the Buick LeSabre's rival, the Mercury Grand Marquis. Each city's businesses and lodging/shopping/dining options are also carefully planned out.

But the routes in between towns? Mostly generic grass routes, with the occasional mountain cave or volcano to break the monotony. Yeah, I'm not so good with the natural settings XD

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Metal Coat took place in future!Sinnoh. Except for a few age increases (and replacements) of some canon characters to fit the timeline in comparison to DP's whirlwind tour of the region, not much had changed.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • If your fic is focused in an original setting, how intensively do you develop the setting of your fic? If it is focused in a canon setting, do you tend to change much of it?

I've got the awfl habit to extend descriptions, and since my fic's set in a new region, I could say that so far, its largely developed. There are short parts set in canon settings, but I don't really change it, or even make much of a big description (e.g. Sunyshore in the fic was just like how its been seen, at least in the games).

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

About 95% of the Chronicles takes place in original settings, so I do take the time to describe them. I mean, it is a fantasy novel. The settings have a tendency to be a bit over-the-top.

Mastermind, on the other hand...I'm not sure yet. Right now Mewtwo's in an institute, which I describe a fair amount, but I haven't decided whether the story takes place on Earth or in pokemonland.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Y'argh, it be my time t' answer me own askin'.

I developed me own settin' by me lonesome, with all the care of findin' swag. It's like a big chest of booty t' me tale - losin' it would mean it'd be like a marooned pirate with no rum. So it was me duty as a pirate to build up me settin' even beyond the bounds of me story, 'nd I'd pull parts in when I needed 'em.

(Er, translation: I developed a non-canon setting quite meticulously. It's a central part to my story; without it, the fic would be incredibly different. I've actually developed the setting beyond the bounds of what is written, so that I can incorporate extra tidbits, like the history or geography of Torcra, when I need to.)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Despite what the anime has shown us, not everyone thinks about Pokemon 24/7. What are some of your character's side interests and/or hobbies?

I'll answer this when I'm not dead tired, lol.

Bay

Years
  • Despite what the anime has shown us, not everyone thinks about Pokemon 24/7. What are some of your character's side interests and/or hobbies?
    Both Bunny and Jacob are interested in history, myths, and artifacts. As shown in NE, they're very obsessed in those interests. :P

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
  • Just for fun (since I don't have a fic), I'll use my character from the RP I've joined, which is being made into a fic. Hope that counts.

Despite what the anime has shown us, not everyone thinks about Pokemon 24/7. What are some of your character's side interests and/or hobbies?

Side interests? My character, a pyromaniac Teletubbie fan named Strobe, likes Eeveelutions, enjoys chasing bubbles, placing jandals on people's heads and generally being a public nuisance.
    And that's not all... He has a split personality!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years

Time to answer my own question:

Lisa has interests in math, classic cars, computers, and hotel chains. She also enjoys challenging other people to quiz battles, spending nights at Quality Inns, and long drives down Interstates 77 and 85 in a wood-paneled '89 Buick Estate Wagon. And also long walks on the beach as well as performing questionable chemistry experiments in her "lab".

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years

Well, Jack and Mari are both trainers who have only just begun their journey, so they aren't really into anything but Pokémon. They both enjoy any kind of thrill, though, and ice cream, but focus mainly on Pokémon and adventures.

Cimi and Adan are a whole different story. Cimi enjoys speed, Adan enjoys peace and tranquility. Cimi also likes to collect things like bottles, stuffed toys, tiny boxes and other junk. She then stuffs her room full with the things she's collected, so the room looks like some kind of flea market to other people. Adan cooks as a hobby: after his mother fell ill, he had to do all the cooking at home, because his dad is completely hopeless in so many different ways. As it turned out, Adan really likes to cook, so he still looks up new recipes and cooks when he wouldn't have to.

Sora-chan loves everything and is good at everything. 'Nuff said.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Despite what the anime has shown us, not everyone thinks about Pokemon 24/7. What are some of your character's side interests and/or hobbies?

Well...

Bah, to the Inferno* with chapter two spoiler warnings.

Caro loves exploring mysterious places, unintentionally annoying everyone who can hear/see him, making and retaining friends, Raichus and other Pokémon in that general rodent category (duh), running around doing whatever as long as it's a fun whatever, and jumping on solar panels. Kris is more a fan of making scheme (evil or otherwise) and watching them explode in her face, exploration (though she takes a more serious mindset than Caro does), making it very obvious to everyone they meet that she is much more mature than Caro happens to be (and initially Helio but... that sort of fell apart a few days in), and bossing people around on occasion. Cyrus... well, he doesn't really show very much in the hobby department except for messing around with machines and other assorted mechanical junk. Oh yes, and the occasional bout of mad science.

* specifically, Darkrai's Inferno. Take a guess what it's like.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

To avoid going through my usual tl;dr list, allow me to cover just the main characters of AEM.

Spoiler:

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Warning: This post is long and contains a lot of stuff which most people probably don't care about, that stuff being me ranting on and on and on about my fics. Yes I do that a lot in here, but for some reason this seems worse than usual...

Both TFC and TRINITY are set in fairly original settings. TFC, however, remains pretty close to the normal, original Pokemon settings. What I have changed is stuff like the (otherwise pretty much nonexistent) school system, which in turn resulted in a slight modification to the starting age (up to 12, to allow for six years of primary school without needing kids to start too early). On the whole, my intent was just to make it more "real," rather than the overly cartoony depiction that the anime tends to show.

Battles can actually be really dangerous now, and encounters with wild Pokemon (which are no where near as common as in the games, and not even close to the anime either) can even sometimes end fatally. I mean, they're wild animals. For the most part, they'll run away from a human walking through the woods, not just hang out and chill when they have no idea what the strange human's intentions are. If a Pokemon doesn't run away it'll fight, but not just for the hell of it. Wild Pokemon encounters are typically because the Pokemon is defending its territory, and they'll go after any Pokemon the trainer has out first because they pose the bigger threat. If the trainer doesn't have any Pokemon with them, a wild Pokemon WILL attack the trainer. In the end, that's just a long way of explaining why Prof. Oak so desperately wants to keep you out of the tall grass. Only in TFC it's not tall grass but more so forests. I write in forests too much, and don't get me started on my overuse of clearings in forests.

Um, yeah. In TRINITY the whole damn settings is completely new. And yes, I've been developing it rather intensively. In fact, ever since I started writing it, I've been thinking about the TRINITY setting so much that it's probably developing faster than TFC did, although I suppose that's not a surprise since I had literally nothing to base TRINITY on. Well, other than the series I blatantly ripped it off from (Ghost in the Shell for the land-based parts, Battlestar Galactica for space). Actually adapting those existing elements to my own purposes, in a setting populated not just with humans but also by Pokemon, proved to be quite interesting though, and the more I develop more detailed ideas and concepts, the more I begin to realize that directly ripping something doesn't work too well.

The Battlestar Galactica is great in a BSG setting, but while I can take some of its concepts and use them in TRINITY on the USS Andromeda, some parts of its designs just won't fit with TRINITY. Either because of technology problems (TRINITY doesn't have FTL drives as BSG does), or because of stylistic reasons (Galactica's too rounded. Pegasus is better, but still too rounded and generally oddly proportioned to fit with the style I'm going for). While Ghost in the Shell provides some excellent cyberpunk concepts and aesthetics to work off of, it tends to be perhaps too advanced with some of the concepts. I'd love to give the members of Icarus thermoptic camo, but that would be just way too convenient and all, so I had to change how cloaking fields work. Virtual computer interfaces would be awesome in TRINITY, but it's just rather absurd really and the only way GitS gets away with it is because they do it so flashy. Still, I carry on a part of it with the Cybernet, which is less GitS and more obligatory Sci-Fi cyberspace anyway.

Shrike is pretty much like me with his interests, due to how early in his development he was pretty much a self insert. While he's largely changed from that, (although some might say he's just an idealized version of myself now <_<) he still retains my own side interests. He plays video games (Pokemon games to be specific, with other RPGs on the side. Yes, Pokemon games within the Pokemon world. Think of them like the Sims is to us, a reality simulator. Kind of), he likes computers, he listens to music, he'll read books once in a while, he even writes! Speaking of which I so missed an opportunity to start each story part with an excerpt from his story within a story. Oh well, I can still start books with them if I really want to. Or I can make like TRINITY and just stick the excerpts in at the beginning of random chapters (except it's not so random in TRINITY, currently it's every other chapter).

Rayne primarily reads and draws. She doesn't use computers much. Her biggest interest is simply caring for and training her Absol Matariel, outside of that she doesn't do much other than read and draw.

Aira is somewhat of a cross between Shrike and Rayne I guess. She reads some, about on the level of Shrike (aka, only once in a while), she'll doodle when bored but isn't too good at it, she's not too fond of video games but doesn't hate them, she does spend most of her time online though, chatting it up in chat rooms and forums. It is how she and Shrike met after all.

All the characters in TRINITY are a bit of an exception to this question since in TRINITY, no one spends much time thinking about Pokemon in the whole training and caring for sense as Pokemon are (generally) regarded on the same level as humans. In fact, training is dead since it's actually impossible to contain Pokemon within Pokeballs anymore. In terms of interests nonetheless however, Tashima is of course very, very heavily into computers. They're pretty much his entire life. He has them inside him with his cybernetics, he worked as a programmer for CYPHER, is a hacker on the side, and before all the events of TRINITY happened he spent a lot of time within the virtual world of the Cybernet, primarily playing virtual video games and fights. Other than computers, all he really does is watch TV and that's about it. Havoc is pretty mellow, and can in fact spend a lot of time simply thinking. He also likes to watch TV, but then he also likes to just go out and walk around. Truthfully, I haven't really developed his post-TRINITY character that much so I can't say too much about him. <_<

I think I'm done typing. I haven't been writing much lately due to school so my urge to write has been building up resulting in rants on my fics like this. Anyone who read all of it and actually cares, please reply so I can award you all with cookies. Dear god you deserve them.

Valentine said:
    To avoid going through my usual tl;dr list
    I am obviously not afraid of tl;dr. -_- Although lists aren't really my things.

Bay

Years
  • Battles can actually be really dangerous now, and encounters with wild Pokemon (which are no where near as common as in the games, and not even close to the anime either) can even sometimes end fatally. I mean, they're wild animals. For the most part, they'll run away from a human walking through the woods, not just hang out and chill when they have no idea what the strange human's intentions are. If a Pokemon doesn't run away it'll fight, but not just for the hell of it. Wild Pokemon encounters are typically because the Pokemon is defending its territory, and they'll go after any Pokemon the trainer has out first because they pose the bigger threat. If the trainer doesn't have any Pokemon with them, a wild Pokemon WILL attack the trainer. In the end, that's just a long way of explaining why Prof. Oak so desperately wants to keep you out of the tall grass. Only in TFC it's not tall grass but more so forests. I write in forests too much, and don't get me started on my overuse of clearings in forests.

Agree on you with that part. Pokemon are wild creatures for the most part, so some slashes are bound to happen. That's what I like about your one shot. :D

Um, yeah. In TRINITY the whole damn settings is completely new. And yes, I've been developing it rather intensively. In fact, ever since I started writing it, I've been thinking about the TRINITY setting so much that it's probably developing faster than TFC did, although I suppose that's not a surprise since I had literally nothing to base TRINITY on. Well, other than the series I blatantly ripped it off from (Ghost in the Shell for the land-based parts, Battlestar Galactica for space). Actually adapting those existing elements to my own purposes, in a setting populated not just with humans but also by Pokemon, proved to be quite interesting though, and the more I develop more detailed ideas and concepts, the more I begin to realize that directly ripping something doesn't work too well.
    Happens to me too. XD; NE is at first a rip off of Da Vinci Code, but then the more I got into the story, the more I'm able to adapt some Pokemon stuff in there and making it more my own. I still like to called NE the Pokemonized version of Da Vinci though. :P

Shrike is pretty much like me with his interests, due to how early in his development he was pretty much a self insert. While he's largely changed from that, (although some might say he's just an idealized version of myself now <_<) he still retains my own side interests. He plays video games (Pokemon games to be specific, with other RPGs on the side. Yes, Pokemon games within the Pokemon world. Think of them like the Sims is to us, a reality simulator. Kind of), he likes computers, he listens to music, he'll read books once in a while, he even writes! Speaking of which I so missed an opportunity to start each story part with an excerpt from his story within a story. Oh well, I can still start books with them if I really want to. Or I can make like TRINITY and just stick the excerpts in at the beginning of random chapters (except it's not so random in TRINITY, currently it's every other chapter).
    Sounds very interesting. I was thinking of doing that with NE before, but I don't think I can do it that well. XD I suggest you have the excerpts be put in random chapters, though.

I think I'm done typing. I haven't been writing much lately due to school so my urge to write has been building up resulting in rants on my fics like this. Anyone who read all of it and actually cares, please reply so I can award you all with cookies. Dear god you deserve them.
    I want my cookie. XD Your posts are interesting to read, really. :)

I am obviously not afraid of tl;dr. -_- Although lists aren't really my things.
    Not afraid either. XD Also, I actually like lists sometimes as it can make a post organized somewhat.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I read your post, Shrike. Always interesting to read them, since they offer incredible insight into the world of your fics.

Also, I want a cookie. I forgot to buy some yesterday, and I am now completely cookie-less.

Also, everyone, my Sims blew up their neighborhood. I love them.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years

My canon-based fan fiction takes the pokemon world and kind of changes the view on the perfection of it. In all reality, people are not going to be training pokemon just to go battle. They are going to be people that is going to use pokemon to get what they want in life. In a world of pokemon, crime rate is not going to be low. There will be some time when people abuse the uses of pokemon and they will have to be punished for it. I think the game kind of creates it to a point that nothing truly bad happens in the pokemon world as long as you have friendship and love. That's not going to be true for all trainers. All trainers aren't going to be good and not all pokemon is going to be either. Besides that, not all battles are going to involve pokemon sadly. I kind of take the negative spin to a positive world. So mostly the towns are the same but I kind of embellish the realism of those towns.

A great question.
    My main character is a huge fan of the army so he collects guns, knives, and various other army based weaponry (he's the son of an army man so yeah, read my fan fiction XD).
    My secondary character is kind of a tomboy and she likes dirt bikes but also is into nice clothes.

Though I wouldn't consider a side interest but two characters in my fan fiction is fans of drinking. My favorite character (though not the main character) is a fan of beer but not so much a fan of the hangover afterward. He's also a huge fan of history especially the Norse culture and Dinosaur Era. :p He's a huge fan of heavy metal and general rock and roll.

The anti-hero is kind of weird to the fact the he likes art especially nail art (you are free to ask me why I chose nail art lol.) But quite technically he is bipolar and likes to kill too. >_< Real awesome. :p

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back