• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sarcasm =/= Clever or Witty

Years
    But satirical art that has no detectable purpose besides making fun of stuff, or the common practice of embracing something (say, for instance Pokémon, or My Little Pony) for its inherent ironic and humorous value without actually believing in it? Are these dangerous to your integrity as a human being?
    Not to try to simplify a complex question by reducing it to a children's story, but by showing yourself insincerely embracing something you're playing the role of the Boy Who Cried Wolf and the more you do it the harder it will be for anyone to believe you when you really are sincere about something.

Or is mockery through insincerity a fundamental part of being human?
    I wouldn't say it is fundamental, though perhaps it is symptomatic of something more fundamental such as social acceptance (in the case of following trends and repeating jokes) or protecting one's self from hurt or embarrassment by keeping things at arms' length and staying noncommittal.

Is sarcasm a natural and ancient extension of humor or a relatively modern invention?
    It's hard to say. Sarcasm doesn't translate well into the written word, at least most of the time, and writing is where a great deal of our knowledge about the past comes from. If I recall correctly, sarcasm shows up in Shakespeare's plays from time to time so it would be at least that old. Whether it was simply a reflection of life and humor at that time or a literary invention I couldn't say.

Ayselipera

Like someone said before, sarcasm just isn't that fun online since its a little harder to imply.

Years
    Sarcasm can be used for two good things:

1. Lighten the mood.
    2. Used as an alternative to otherwise saying "That's the dumbest thing I've EVER heard ANYONE EVUR say in my entire life." Instead, the likes of "OMGZ NO WAI" is much easier to type, and relatively less offensive IMO.
    Sarcasm is the mind's natural defense against stupidity.
    ^Exactly. You beat me to it.

So, if used correctly, it can act as a conversation buffer. Some people use it way too much, to the point that you're not entirely sure what they even want to get across. Others aren't very good at making the presence of sarcasm clear, so people take it literally. Smilies :P and other helpful hints (/sarcasm; *being sarcastic*) can make things a little clearer to other readers.

Sarcasm =/= Clever or Witty
    True.....being sarcastic doesn't necessarily make you witty or clever. But a sarcastic remark can be clever if used by a clever/witty person.

Um, is this a revenge thread? Looks like one.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Althought i don't us sarcasm often, i find it quite amusing, as long as it doesn't harass anyone.

Goron

Mountain Dweller
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2009
    It depends how it's used.

I hate it when people use it to make another person seem stupid. It can also be used in a joking fashion which i prefer more.

Aksyel

Trajnisto Komencigxa
    Years
    It's just annoying as ****

Anyone else agree?
    I don't see why you think anyone would think it is clever or witty. Most people do it to intentionally annoy people, or because they don't like answering obvious questions. So I do not agree.

----

Mi ne vidas pro kio vi pensas ajnulon pensos gxi estas ruza aux sprita. Plej homoj faras gxin intenca cxagreni homoj, aux cxar ili ne sxatas respondatas demandoj evidentaj. Tiom mi ne konsentas.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Sarcasm is the only way I can deal with people. :l

It might seem mean at some aspects, but I really couldn't care less if people think I'm mean. When someone says/asks something stupid, it's natural to be sarcastic. If you can get over the fact that it's a little rude, it can be quite entertaining. Especially when it's children. :D

I use it very lightly/playfully as much as I can. When I'm in a bad mood is the only time it will seem smart-alack. The only person I've noticed that doesn't really like it is my parents, and that's just because they expect me to be an angel.

Clever or witty? Not exactly any of those. Just a light, playful way to say "Stop being retarded." :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Depends on the context and the amount of usage; mostly I enjoy sarcasm if it is clever or witty. :/

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Of course, sarcasm is not related to being clever or witty.
    It can be useful and funny at times, but it's mostly annoying.

I used to be a little sarcastic at times, but I got rid of that side of me since I came to realize a few things about it.
    I can still be a little sarcastic as long as it hurts nobody and only makes them laugh along too.

I'll just say some of the things already said in this topic from my part again:
    It depends how it's used.
    I hate it when people use it to make another person seem stupid.
    It can also be used in a joking fashion which i prefer more.

Most people do it to intentionally annoy people, or because they don't like answering obvious questions. - that is one part I really hate.

Given that I often encounter sarcasm in serious circumstances, I've come to loathe it. It has hurt my feelings a lot of times, and I advice people to make things obvious and go tell something to a person rather than using sarcasm as a device to tell the obvious and prove someone to be stupid.

But if you want to be sarcastic just to make everyone laugh and if it hurts nobody, then it's all good.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Ahh Sarcasm. It's like a block of C-4. Great fun if used correctly, horribly destructive if used incorrectly:D

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'd call sarcasm more.. 'rude' rather than clever, or witty. xD;

Not that it's ever stopped me before. >_>;

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    But if you want to be sarcastic just to make everyone laugh and if it hurts nobody, then it's all good.

But do you ever stop to think that some people need a harsh encounter of sarcasm? I've been in some situations with people who dearly need to be put in there place, and sarcasm is a convenient little mechanism to do such a thing.

I feel there's an unfair generalization about sarcasm. There's nothing wrong with mocking human folly with sarcasm among friends. Everything in moderation though, yes? And not all of it is that critical.

Though, I will admit that there are a bit more of those young, sarcastic twats around lately.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Yup. I hate sarcastic persons, no matter what the reasons are. They just think they're more clever than him/her, which in fact in most cases the opposite. They just there to annoy us.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Some of the cleverest comedians and playwrights who have ever existed have had a marvellous handle on sarcasm. To my mind, people who look down on those who use sarcasm are only people too dense or unimaginative enough to not be able to understand it.

Back