• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Blackout World

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    This is an experimental trainer fanfic based on a hard nuzlocke challenge. Please tell me what you think since I hope to continue this but it's still in the experimentation stage. Reviews would be very much appreciated.

I give this a 15 British film rating, just to be on the safe side. Though incidences of swearing are rare they're also a bit strong, violence may get more brutal in later chapters. Sory about that. I'll try to keep it toned down wherever it's unnecessary.

---

Blackout World
    Prologue - The 12-year Solar Storm

They all had to do this.

From the age of ten, every boy in Kanto was expected to set off on their pokemon journey. It was tradition and a ritual going back thousands of years. Boys - young fragile boys, and occasionally girls - were thrown into the harsh and unforgiving wilderness with only a single, low-level pokemon to protect them. It was a rite of passage into adulthood. Only the ones most worthy of survival deserved the title of "men".

With their pokemon by their side, they had to fight to become stronger and take on the Four Elders. If they could pass them on the Indigo Plateu, they would then come face to face with the Pokemon Master, kind of like the elder of elders with the strongest pokemon, and would be granted their passage into adulthood. They would return to their families proud and much stronger than when they left. If they didn't, it meant that they had either died honourably in combat, had a fatal accident, or fled as cowards, forever remembered as such.

The Four Elders later became the Elite Four, a very watered down version of what they once were. For a start, they never fought alongside their pokemon any more. Pokemon battling began as humans and pokemon fighting side by side. Recently, before the solar flare hit, it seemed that pokemon did all the hard work. Even the gyms and trainers had become much weaker than they once were, with health and safety policies, pokemon league regulations and policing. It seemed that nobody beyond martial arts enthusiasts actually joined in battle beside their own pokemon, and those who did had to do so in hiding, as it was considered barbaric in the new politically correct society.

Still, for a ten year old, pokemon battling was a frightening practice, but didn't present the challenge it once had done so hundreds or thousands of years before.

About 12 years ago, pokemon battling was winding down. A digital revolution was taking hold, and people were reverting to more peaceful ways of life. Even the tradition of sending our children into the wilderness was starting to be seen as too extreme.

That was until the solar flare erupted from our sun. All electronics were suddenly rendered completely useless. Pokeballs, pokedexes, satellites, televisions, computers... absolutely everything. People were left in darkness during the night. Food in the refrigerators and warehouses quickly spoiled. There was no communication - there was too much interference from the solar radiation to hear radio broadcasts, and it wasn't likely that any were being sent either.

I remember it quite clearly actually. I was just a boy. Eight years old. I lived in a kind of run-down neighbourhood that the government had totally abandoned all hopes for, even before any natural disaster struck. Celadon was quite well known for such neighbourhoods. People used to say that the betting shops and liquor stores exploited the poorer locals and always set up wherever social degradation could be found. Well, one such location was my home.

I lived in a small apartment opposite a run-down and abandoned community sports court where the local kids used to play soccer. After all, most of them couldn't really afford the fancier forms of entertainment enjoyed by the more fortunate residents of Kanto. Actually, I shouldn't really complain. It could have been a lot worse, it could have been that one part of town that gets all the shootings and a lot of gang activity. In relation to that place, I was really quite safe where I lived. I lived there with my mom, my dad, my older brother Chris, and my even older sister Jade.

Just before the natural disaster occurred, I remember that I was reaching that age where I was starting to get not only street-wise, but also a bit cocky. I wanted to run around with the older lads, get up to whatever they got up to, especially if Chris was there. Even though I was only eight, he sometimes let me go with him. I guess at fourteen, and being allowed to roam and do whatever he pleased instead of being supervised and disciplined, he himself wasn't exactly the responsible type.

I saw something during my time in that neighbourhood that always stuck with me. Pokemon battling. Not the type most people were familiar with back then. No. This was the archaic illegal type of pokemon battling that took place at night in underground parking lots and abandoned buildings. I saw pokemon die in front of my eyes. I saw trainers risk their lives to jump in and defend their fallen partners against gnashing teeth and beams of frost, lightning and fire, or fight alongside them in the face of possible death. This was a type of pokemon battling that truly initiated an interest in pokemon for me. It played on my most primitive instincts for violence and bloodshed at an age when I was very impressionable. I didn't really know what I was feeling back then, I was too young to realise any feeling I was having beyond horror and fear, even though I kind of liked it. I didn't dare let my fear show in front of Chris and his friends though.

They, as in my brother and his friends, were the ones who told me about the history of pokemon. It's all true, too. Go to your nearest pokemon lab or library and look it up for yourself if you don't believe me. They were just continuing an ancient tradition, one that was almost snubbed out. After a while, they started to manipulate me so that I would join them. They would get me into trouble, and say it was training. I didn't realise they were just using me as a scapegoat for all their mischief, but what can I say, I was eight.

Then the solar flare happened.

I remember that night we had an amazing display overhead. The Aurora Borealis - never before had these shimmering teal, green and blue curtains of light been seen with such intensity in the sky so far South. I remember many of the residents went out into the street that night, enchanted by the phenomenon that lit up the streets and their astonished faces with an eerie green glow. There was something strangely peaceful about it all. People who otherwise never said a word to each other now had something to talk about, something that they could share. Some people brought out food and warm drinks to pass around the neighbourhood. The anger and frustration of the day seemed to melt away.

I think everyone sensed this was the start of something huge. After all, some people had never even seen this before even in books or on television, so it probably crossed nearly everyone's mind that there could be something dangerous and sinister causing this effect in the night sky. There was a kind of tension in the air because of that, but it was masked by the sheer appreciation for the beauty of the creation before us.

It was in the morning that everyone's problems started.

I had noticed the night before, during the aurora storm, that many of the power lines were glowing and crackling. It seemed after I had gone to bed the power had completely gone out over at least the entire city. Nobody could get in touch with anyone anywhere. Mobile phones were dead, not just out of range of a signal. I mean proper dead. They wouldn't turn on. Same with battery powered radios, except when the family were checking up on my great grandma and we tried her radio. It mysteriously turned on. All we could hear was a terrible screeching on all frequencies though. Later on that day, after we had left great grandma's house and returned later, she said the radio had suddenly burst into sparks on her, followed by a puff of smoke.

That day we had record temperatures of around 90 F degrees. That's hot for Celadon. It didn't help that no power was restored, food in the refrigerators was spoiling, and everyone was left in the dark about what was going on. We had the whole police act with the microphone and cruising around all the streets telling us to stay calm and all that. But no info, and that's what people needed. Information. It didn't take long for people to get frustrated and start bickering with one another, and eventually start picking at the police for not telling them anything. I remember joining in with my brother cussing at some police officers and giving them a hard time while they stayed in their car, reluctant to be held responsible for laying their hands on a minor. I didn't really know exactly what I was cussing at them about, I was just trying to look tough in front of the older kids. It was strange though, in these days of political correctness, the police were powerless against me because of my age.

The next day, there was still no power. Most major stores had closed. Some minor stores were still open without power, but many had become victims of looting by panicked civilians and opportunists since no security systems were functioning at that time. Without their technology, the police didn't have as much power as they used to. Everyone was on a more level playing field. Over the next several days only long-lived foods remained on store shelves. But most of this was being guarded by gangs, which had formed out of a need for security for those who had nobody to defend them. Many houses were broken into. Along with this, the number of casualties increased and without any power, there were far more patients going into hospital than were coming out.

Our family didn't have a car. We all relied on local transport. Many cars and buses wouldn't start, the electronics were fried by the ongoing solar storm that hadn't stopped yet after all this time. Every night the aurora could be seen. My mom and dad tried to keep me home, they defended themselves against looters with metal pipes and knives and anything else they could get their hands on. Chris, on the other hand, had other ideas. He was packing. One night, he asked me if I was coming with him or staying home. I wanted to go, of course, because I didn't know that this wasn't one of his usual night-time gallivants.

We walked for a long time before we reached the edge of the city. I was surprised at the amount of abandoned cars on the road, a couple with their doors open and windows smashed. Occasionally Chris would tell me to duck or hide, which was strange because I didn't see anyone coming. I wasn't exactly sharp and alert though. Or maybe Chris was just jumpy, I'm not sure. I remember because there was no artificial lighting we had to rely on the light from the aurora, which although bright it didn't give enough consistent illumination - it seemed to keep moving around. Sometimes Chris would spark up his lighter just to be able to see a few feet in front of him, especially when a massive cloud or two crept overhead.

We stopped in a wide open dark area. I couldn't see anything and I couldn't hear anything. I really just wanted to go home, but I didn't want to admit that in front of Chris. Then, from out of the darkness approached who I recognised as one of Chris's friends. He was a little older than Chris, a bit taller and darker too.

He threw to Chris what appeared like a large, rounded nut about the size of a fist.

"Take that to Pallet Town."

Chris leaned forward and asked, "is it trained?"

His friend nodded. "I've already given it instructions. It'll follow my lead."

Of course their conversation was going way over my head, but I made myself look attentive and like I understood. Then to my surprise Chris threw the oversized walnut at the ground. The resulting "poff" that came afterwards was enough to rustle some of the nearby branches and extinguish Chris's lighter flame. For a moment we were in total darkness before Chris scratched at his lighter to get another flame going.

I jumped back from what I saw. It was a large bird, bigger than all three of us put together, sitting patiently on the grass and staring straight at us. It was hard to tell exactly what colour it was in the orange flickering light, but it looked like a light colour with a fairly short but not too short beak. The beak also had a hook tip, which looked quite formidable. It had black markings beneath its eyes and the feathers on its forehead were long enough that they flowed back down behind the creature.

"What is this for?" I asked.

Chris didn't answer me at first, he just approached the bird nervously. As soon as he got near it the bird crouched down and extended its great long wings outward over the grass and waited patiently.

"It's telling you to get on." Chris's friend chuckled.

Chris hesitantly put his feet on the bird's wings, I think he was maybe unsure if they were strong enough to take his weight. But surprisingly, they were sturdy as a thick board, and took his weight without any problem. He crawled up onto its back and motioned with his hand for me to follow him.

My anxiety was beginning to show. "What about mom and dad?" I thought that they would throw a fit if they realised what we were getting up to.

"Just get on, Hugh" my brother said as he rolled his head in annoyance.

I rushed over and climbed aboard the bird's back via its wing. There was another poff on the grass, and since the clouds had cleared a bit, another large bird could be easily seen in the aurora's green glow next to the one we were sitting on. It was a different bird, a little smaller and skinnier, but still big compared to anything I'd seem before today. It had a longer pointier beak, skinny neck and a darker colour. It had a collar of lighter fluffier feathers around the base of its neck at the top of its body. I recognised it as a fearow. Like the pidgeot we were sitting on, it crouched down and extended its broad fingered wings obediently, letting Chris's friend on its back.

"Hold on tight" Chris told me.

I grabbed hold tightly onto a bunch of the pidgeot's trailing head and neck feathers as though they were reins. I knew that we were going on a trip somewhere on the pokemon's back, but I'd never flown before. I mean, I hadn't even been on a plane before. So I was very nervous. My palms were sweating so much that I thought I would lose my grip and fall off.

There was some strong gusts of wind from the fearow's wings as it took off into the air. I watched the black silhouette of the bird get smaller by the second. Suddenly the pigeot's body rocked, making me whimper. I could feel its powerful back muscles moving beneath its feathered skin as it exercised its wings briefly, before jumping into the air. The wing flaps were rapid and immense. I could feel the change in velocity in my stomach, the sudden increase in altitude too. I just remember holding on for dear life, not daring to look for fear of falling off. I had buried my face into the bird's feathers so I was unable to see anything.

It was far from a steady ride. Each wing flap was a heavy bump. It took a while for me to recognise the consistency and the pattern of each flap. At first I thought it was what they called turbulence and that we were going to crash or the pidgeot was going to tilt too far or something. But gradually I raised my head to realise that the pidgeot's back was quite level. It offered a lot of space too. Of course seeing the slightly illuminated outline of the trees and buildings get smaller and smaller by the second still left me with a falling sensation at the pit of my stomach. I didn't dare go too close to the edge or acknowledge that great empty space between our avian platform and the cold hard ground. It also seemed as though we were getting closer to that green and blue curtain of light in the sky, and I wondered if it could harm us.

I strained to look up at my brother, who was leaning forward on his hands and knees, smiling like I'd never seen him smile before. He was usually a bit moody. But now he looked like he was having the time of his life, with his black hair whipping behind his head in the prevailing wind.

Since Chris was smiling, I had to at least not look like a coward in front of him, so I tried my best to get off my belly and try to enjoy the ride.

"Why are we going to Pallet Town?!" I had to shout over the roar of the wind.

"We're going to start a new life there!" He stopped a moment to gasp for breath. "Like our ancestors did, as REAL pokemon trainers!" He laughed a moment before continuing. "Now nothing can stop us!"

I tried to seem enthusiastic in response, only because I didn't really know how to respond. Although I had been introduced to the old style of pokemon battling, which I also knew was illegal, I was unsure about the overall meaning of what he said.

When we finally landed in Pallet Town, I could see the blue glow of light on the horizon that indicated the approach of sunrise. I think I had slept through some of the journey but I wasn't sure either. I think it could have been too cold up there to sleep. The aurora had also subsided a little, for now.

And that's how I ended up in Pallet Town. I remember when we got there it was as quiet as Celadon, but much less urbanised. I could hear the trees swaying a lot more and hear the crickets chirping in the grass. My brother's friend took us in to a large building, apparently the town's pokemon laboratory. I had expected in a lab for there to be men and women in lab coats everywhere, but that wasn't the case. The inside was lit dimly with fire. There were a lot of people huddled about, some staring at us as though they were sizing us up. I could hear an acoustic guitar strumming away somewhere in the room, but the room was so large and so poorly lit it was hard to tell where it was coming from. There was also a growlithe wandering around, panting happily and oblivious, wagging its warm plush tail all over the place.

There were desks and computers still left from when the lab was used as a lab, probably less than a couple of weeks ago. A few of the glass windows and an area of glass roofing had already been smashed. The sterile bleach smell was faded and had since been replaced by the smell of smoke and human odour.

Chris and I were guided into one of the hallways where we would meet the man in charge, who would go on to explain everything.

Paul was his name. Just Paul. Nobody knew his second name and he never cared to share it. He stood waiting for us in a back room with two machoke by his side. They were like two blue heavy muscled body guards, though Paul didn't look like he needed them. He was pretty well built himself. His blond hair was shaven short at the sides and the sleeves of his shirt looked as though they had been torn off. He took one look at me with his sharp, eagle-like blue eyes and I was petrified solid. Not moving was far better than making it obvious I was afraid.

After taking a glance at me, he shook his head. "Too young."

Chris piped up. "But he'll be coming with me..."

"All boys journey alone. That is how it's always been. Too young. How old is he?" Paul chuckled. "Five?"

"I'm eight" I said, masking my inner fear by making myself seem assertive.

Paul chucked again. "In two years time, kid. In two years."

"Now what?" Chris barked, seeming a bit irritated.

Paul went dead silent for a moment. He slowly approached Chris and looked down at him, pressuring him to back away out the room. But his exit was blocked by his friend and someone else who had shown up, I didn't know who it was though. Out of nowhere Paul slammed his fist into Chris's stomach with such force I could hear the slam of the impact, and I yelped and jumped back. Chris's breath was forced out of him, and he doubled over coughing and gasping for air. I watched as his knees weakened and he fell to the floor, curled into a ball and shivered while trying to get his breath back.

Paul wiped his nose and told my brother "you can start by showing me some respect. I'm not your fuking kid brother, you understand?" Paul bent down slowly and put his hand to his ear. "Now. Apologise."

I remember how sick I felt seeing my brother hurt like that. I'd seen him get into fights before and stuff but I'd never actually seen him floored by someone who was perhaps several times his own weight. All this time I'd tried to make myself seem strong and hide my fear every time it reared its ugly head. This time it was just too intense to hold back. I was bubbling away like a crying tot with tears rolling down my face.

"Chris, are you okay?!" I heaved the words out through sobs and hiccups. "Chris..."

"He's okay" Chris's so-called friend replied, putting his hand on my shoulder. I didn't like him doing that.

Chris squeaked something out, which didn't earn a response from Paul. He then said more loudly "I'm sorry" though it sounded quite strained.

Paul nodded, before turning to me. "Take the kid outside, find him a place to sleep."

The two people who had stopped Chris from escaping dragged me out, although I shouted and cried and fought to be with my brother. I sometimes think back to that moment and regret not fighting back harder, but I was afraid of being hurt by these people. I wonder though, had I fought back with more vigour, would I have seen Chris again? Because that moment was the last memory I have of my brother. I didn't know why at first, but over the next two years that I stayed in Pallet Town, I learned what happened to him, and what was going to happen to me too.

I lived under Paul, Anthony (Chris's so-called friend) and the remaining supporters of Pallet Town as though they were my family. It didn't really feel to me like they were my family, I missed my parents too much. Thing is I had no means of going home and these people weren't going to let me go either, so they were really all I had. They taught me their ideals of bringing back the old ritual, the pokemon journey. Ideals I was already familiar with, but had not yet implemented into my own view of the world.

Over those two years, the solar storms didn't stop. Actually, they got worse. Everything that humans had relied on, electricity, computers, everything like that was gone. Because most people had been so reliant on these things, many people died when it was taken away from them. Many people, thanks to advanced technology and cushy living, had become weak. Paul was right about that. So, he taught me about how the pokemon journey ties in with that. The strong and adaptable survive and the weak don't. It was really quite straight-forward.

He wasn't the only one who was enforcing these ideals either. In fact, he wasn't even the guy at the top, far from it. The new Four Elders had been appointed and the gyms taken over by Paul's comrades and superiors. They all called themselves the Pokemon Fighters, as opposed to pokemon trainers, because they actively fought in battle alongside their own pokemon. They had been around for hundreds of years as an underground organisation, awaiting a time like this to re-enforce the old laws.

Over my stay in Pallet Town, those who did not agree with their ideals were exiled from the town. The same was happening elsewhere. All the while they tried to convince the remaining population that this was the right way, the original way and the way nature intends us to be. I wasn't exactly old enough to know the real depth of it all, but I knew enough to be surprised that a lot of the population was coming round to the idea. Especially many of the strong pokemon trainers who could have fought back, yet they submitted instead. That always really confused me as a kid.

The Pokemon Fighters became a pseudo-nation, conquering Kanto. They had a flag, a machoke's arm on a red background. The arm was a fist clenched upwards with the bicep bulging. It was supposed to represent strength, and also unity between humans and pokemon. This is because the machoke's arm looked so similar to that of a human's the symbol could even be substituted for a human's. It was a symbol that had existed in history, once representing the former pokemon league before it had gone soft. This was taught to me in my history lessons under the Pokemon Fighters in Pallet Town.

I learned later that Chris had been sent out on his Journey. There was a Pokemon Master waiting for him at Indigo Plateu, who would mark him as proof of his success. Many more went too, adults and children alike, except those under ten years old. Some returned very quickly, already being quiet adept at battling alongside their pokemon and were back in less than a month. Others took longer, two years usually for those who had never battled before. Chris would be due to return to Pallet Town just as I was due to leave.

The first year I waited and waited, patiently hoping that Chris was going to return early for some reason. It was a difficult time for me. Paul kept me close by at all times. I think he knew that I planned to run away at the first opportunity. But then things changed after the first year. When I was nine, Paul called up Anthony, knowing that I knew Anthony better than anyone else there, I think so that I would feel more at ease even though I didn't really like Anthony that much. He took Anthony and I on a short excursion to the other side of the town to watch some fights.

The combatants were rivals taking part in a friendly match. Not for money, and not to the death. Just as friends and rivals, proving to one another who was the strongest. One was a young male, long blond hair, shirtless to show off his muscles. Yeah, one of those, the show-off pretty-boy type. The one opposite was quite a short female with black hair, straight-cut just below her ears. In this new age, women didn't really take part in battles as much, probably because they often had to actually fight, rather than let their pokemon do all the fighting. In a male-dominated sport, this made it very difficult for women to compete. It also wasn't compulsory for women to go on a pokemon journey either, so many opted out, while for the men they had no choice. Kind of reminds me of schooling in ancient history.

I noticed the girl didn't really look all that well built. Actually, she was kind of skinny in a way, which was exasperated by her choice in tight clothing - a sleeveless sports top and a pair of shorts - but her muscles did still show through. They just weren't that big, and I remember worrying for her. I feared she would be pummelled by her clearly bigger and stronger opponent.

I remember having difficulty seeing over the heads, so Paul lifted me onto his shoulders so that I could see easier. It made me feel uncomfortable, he wasn't my dad or anything even though he had been treating me like his son all this time. But I didn't complain, I had a better view over the roaring crowd.

"They're lovers as well..." Anthony shouted over, struggling to be heard over the crowd. "Famous I hear!"

"Neither of them has lost a single fight... except against each other!" Paul explained to me, probably why they're so well known. Especially the woman. It was pretty impressive that during her journey she never lost one match.

After the girl had taken a swig of water, she threw an apricorn onto the grass. Out burst a hitmonchan, a small, skinny, tan-coloured boxing pokemon. It had very large red fists and a shield-shaped head. It danced around, lapping up the attention it was receiving from the crowd that had gathered. Her partner and rival threw his apricorn on the ground, revealing a sleek light cream-coloured cat pokemon with rounded ears and a ruby gem on its forehead - a persian. It causally started licking itself as though it was disinterested in the crowd.

Over the past year I had learned a thing or two from one of my teachers about type advantages and disadvantages. I knew right away that the persian was at a disadvantage, and looked on curiously, wondering what the male fighter was planning.

Suddenly both the male fighter and the persian burst forward. Simultaneously, the persian reared up and slammed both of its paws together, just as its ally clapped his hands flat together, one on top of the other, with his elbows jutting out very angular. The impact of the simultaneous fake-out sent forth a powerful energy shockwave that sent hair, clothes and leaves rippling in its wake, and also caused some of the crowd to stumble back.

Somehow, though, the ripples of energy didn't connect with their intended opponents. In a flash of red light both the female fighter and her hitmonchan zipped back to their positions. They must have dodged somehow, but I didn't even notice where they had gone before they made their sudden, seemingly impossibly fast return.

I didn't even know humans were capable of such speeds. I did learn that the human's true potential comes out when training alongside peers far stronger than themselves, such as pokemon, but I wasn't really given a scale on how far this could go.

"I dunno why he doesn't change his tactic..." I heard Paul say over the noise of the crowd. "She cottoned on to that one long ago..."

The male fighter and the persian suddenly zipped off somewhere for a split second, just after the female fighter and her ally had returned. It took them a short moment to realise that her opponents were gone. Two black shadows shot towards them from either side in a pincer attack. The female fighter and her hitmonchan dodged out of the way (and away from each other), causing the crowd to back up a bit and give them more space.

"Now, Hugh look closely. Gav and his persian have separated their opponent. Shell and her hitmonchan won't be able to support each other..." Paul explained while pointing.

I stared engrossed. It was all happening so fast and I didn't want to miss a thing. I noticed the hitmonchan couldn't reach the persian with this 'Gav' in the way. He had effectively prevented his persian from being subject to super-effective attacks. The female 'Shell' was facing the persian, and looking nervous. In her moment of hesitation, the persian hissed, spat and screeched like nothing I have ever heard before. I could see a lot of people covering their ears. Even the hitmonchan seemed distracted by the noise.

The hitmonchan's distraction was a crucial error. Gav lunged in with some very jarring punches to the hitmonchan's stomach. The hitmonchan wheezed from the punches, backed off and defensively put up his arms and fists in front of his body and face, preventing any more attacks. Just when Gav was getting cocky, one of hitmonchan's round red fists popped out into his face. It didn't look like it was with too much force, but it was accompanied by glowing yellow light and blue sparks. Gav's whole body went into a spazm, still connected to the hitmonchan's fist by a blue bolt of electricity, as he fell backwards onto the grass and the electric current cut off.

Meanwhile the persian had lunged for the female, slashing in her direction. She was amazingly fast at dodging its wide paws tipped with sharp claws all around. Ducking, dashing, jumping... she also came down from a high jump with a well-known hi-jump-kick right into the persian's rib-cage.

"Wait, humans can learn hi-jump-kick too?" I questioned out loud, letting down my apparently disinterested facade of the past year. It was the only form of rebellion I had against my captors at that time - to seem disinterested in everything they were teaching me.

"It's just a kick, whaddas it matter if a human or a pokemon does it?" Anthony leaned over so his response could be heard.

"Risky move - persians are agile. She could have hurt herself if she missed" Paul commentated.

But it seemed to have worked. The persian roared in pain, before scampering off to the other side of the battle field. It stayed low to the ground. Its breathing looked erratic, going by the inconsistent expansion and contraction of its mid-section. It shook its head from side to side with a shiver as though it was shaking water off itself, fluffing up its coat for a moment before resuming to the battle. It was failing to hide a limp.

Hitmonchan had all this time been waiting like a good sport for Gav to re-gain his senses from the thunderpunch he had received. It seemed like Gav was suffering the effects of an unlucky paralysis. A bit embarrassing considering there's not much chance of paralysis from that move (and considering that oh-so-pretty hair was now standing on end like a lion's mane). Gav got up shakily, before one of his legs gave way due to a nerve spasm and he stumbled to regain his balance.

While Gav was suffering the effects of paralysis, the hitmonchan bounced over him and lunged for the persian, just about the same time as Shell did. They both landed their attack at about the same time, Shell with a carefully aimed karate chop to the back of its neck, while hitmonchan pummelled it with some close combat techniques. The big cat's body rippled like a bag of water from the force of the attacks.

Before anyone could tell if the persian was down (which I think everyone assumed it was) both the hitmonchan and its ally Shell were swept off their feet by a single low-kick. It was Gav, back on his feet. But he wasn't on them for long.

Both the hitmonchan and Shell pushed themselves back off the ground, propelling their way towards Gav for an attack. I guess they were hoping he would be confused into not knowing who to defend against first, but he used one of his shins and both forearms to block against both of their attacks. Unfortunately for him his opponents were already travelling with so much force that nearly the entire crowd could hear a loud, audible snap when they connected.

I jolted and gripped on to Paul when I heard the agonising scream from Gav. Suddenly, Shell and hitmonchan stopped fighting. I think they didn't expect it either. They were looking at each other, wondering what to do. Gav quickly stopped himself from screaming any more and tried to put on a brave face. I saw Shell bend down to speak with him, and Gav just nodded and forced a smile through expressions of agony. Gav shouted something and the crowd suddenly cheered and surrounded Shell.

"Shell didn't win...?" Anthony gasped in disbelief.

"She won!" Paul assured.

I was shaking, and feeling slightly sick. Just watching the battle filled my body with energy. Suddenly I needed an outlet. I didn't know what it was I was feeling, though I remembered it from being a spectator to similar (and sometimes more brief and gruesome) battles in Celadon. As the crowd dispersed, I watched as people crowded around Gav, trying to assess his injuries and carrying off his defeated persian to be treated. That was a tame and friendly battle compared to what I was in for if I went off on my pokemon journey.

I should really have been scared, and I was scared. But something about watching that match gave me a new motivation. The rush it gave me left me with an empty feeling when it subsided, and I wanted more of it. So from then on I kept asking if I could join Paul whenever he went to watch matches. More and more often, I found him asking me to go with him. The more matches I watched, the more normal it seemed to me. The violence and the bloodshed, even between close friends on the battle field. No longer did it shock me. Instead, I started to yearn for my chance to shine in battle.

I started to dream and wonder about what kind of fighter I would make. Would I really be brave? Would I be strong? What kinds of pokemon would I have with me? I started to get impatient. I started to forget my old life. I guess I was starting to accept I wasn't going back home, and dare I say, I didn't really want to go back home.

My tenth birthday was long anticipated. Then, the day finally arrived.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh wow. This was good.

The way you started pulled me in. How Pokemon training began, the reasons for it, and how intense it was... You painted it as a darker world, which contrasts to what we're used to.

And then these solar storms come along, and throw the world upside-down. Looking forward to finding out more about them.

I also have to compliment you on your fight scene. You did great including the two humans fighting along with their Pokemon. I could see every move clearly.

Few small typos:

Chris leaned forward and asked, "is it trained?"
    "Is" should be capitalized.

"Just get on, Hugh" my brother said as he rolled his head in annoyance.
    Comma needed after "Hugh".

"Hold on tight" Chris told me.
    Comma needed after "tight".

"I'm eight" I said,
    Comma needed after "eight".

"He's okay" Chris's so-called friend replied
    Comma needed after "okay".

Those were the ones that I noticed. They're small, and so they didn't distract from the story at all.

Hugh's a good character already. I'm looking forward to seeing him start his journey, especially into this changed world. Especially since I haven't seen a fic like this based on a Nuzlock challenge (though I am slightly familiar with the rules of one).

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Well, you took an idea that was stewing around in my head and just ran with it.

Your description was good, but I couldn't help but think that there were a few parts where you got the word choices mixed up. Like here:

they would then come face to face with the Pokemon Master, kind of like the elder of elders with the strongest pokemon, and would be granted their passage into adulthood.
    The text surrounding the "kind of like the elder of elders" was very grandiose and formal, but this one stuck out as something that was very casually put in there, in an almost conversational tone for the kind of writing that you had around it.

The premise was also good, but I couldn't help but think that you were being a little too direct, or in some cases too brief, with your narrative.

The Four Elders later became the Elite Four, a very watered down version of what they once were. For a start, they never fought alongside their pokemon any more.
    It seemed, to me at least, that you could have elaborated on this with another sentence, because then you cut straight into another idea altogether, which is related, but didn't really flow well.

Pokemon battling began as humans and pokemon fighting side by side. Recently, before the solar flare hit, it seemed that pokemon did all the hard work. Even the gyms and trainers had become much weaker than they once were, with health and safety policies, pokemon league regulations and policing.
    You just state the first sentence and then move onto something else. I think a "however" would be in order here, before the "recently", like this:

Pokémon battling began as humans and Pokémon fighting side by side. However, it seemed that recently, the Pokémon were the ones doing all the hard work.

Huh, so the kid seems to start liking that life of violence and survivalism.

I have a feeling, though, that this fic will be less of a real Nuzlocke fic and more of just a "physics is real" kind of fic where Pokémon die from battles (well, technically, that wasn't even part of the rule - it was just "release a Pokémon when it faints"). A true Nuzlocke run would have the rule where you can only catch one Pokémon per area, and I'm interested in how you plan on enforcing that.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Oh wow. This was good.
    Have to agree with this. =) Certainly a very strong introduction here, and an interesting concept. I have read a few post-apocalyptic stories before, and a few which involved humans fighting Pokemon as well, but this is one of the better ones, imo. I haven't read any nuzlocke-based stories however (only seen a few comics which were more concerned with making amusing expressions half the time) so this is a first for me.

The setting and situations were well pulled and set-up I thought - the beginning was a good introduction to how people came into using Pokemon like the 'old times'. You also showed us Hugh's thoughts on everything nicely as well - it was a good way to show us the other characters as well as his personality and character. He's a neat character to read about so far - I quite liked how he became interested in the Pokemon battles and enjoyed reading about his own enjoyment, and I'm pretty curious to see how his challenge goes, as well as what happened to Chris (although I suppose I can partly make a guess to that already). The description is pretty solid and and pacing is smooth as well - overall I quite like what you have here thus far. =)
    Still, for a ten year old
    Could be written as 'ten-year-old'.
    About 12 years ago
    Sometimes you did write out numbers, but generally most instances of numbers below 100 should be written out, so twelve over 12. (An exception might be when you noted the temperature at one point).
    It could have been a lot worse, it could have been that one part of town that gets all the shootings and a lot of gang activity.
    I feel a new sentence (so a full stop) or a hyphen or the sort would have worked better in place of that comma there.
    It didn't take long for people to get frustrated and start bickering with one another, and eventually start picking at the police for not telling them anything.
    'on' is another alternative although I suppose 'at' works too - I just feel 'on' works better.
    Many cars and buses wouldn't start, the electronics were fried by the ongoing solar storm that hadn't stopped yet after all this time. Every night the aurora could be seen. My mom and dad tried to keep me home, they defended themselves against looters with metal pipes and knives and anything else they could get their hands on.
    At times you tended to have run-on sentences caused by just using a comma like so when the sentences need a bit more or a different form of punctuation, or would have been just fine as two separate sentences either side of the comma.
    I jumped back from what I saw. It was a large bird, bigger than all three of us put together, sitting patiently on the grass and staring straight at us. It was hard to tell exactly what colour it was in the orange flickering light, but it looked like a light colour with a fairly short but not too short beak. The beak also had a hook tip, which looked quite formidable. It had black markings beneath its eyes and the feathers on its forehead were long enough that they flowed back down behind the creature.
    It was a different bird, a little smaller and skinnier, but still big compared to anything I'd seem before today. It had a longer pointier beak, skinny neck and a darker colour. It had a collar of lighter fluffier feathers around the base of its neck at the top of its body.
    At times with the description you become a touch too listy and repetitive with the sentence structure, such as here were you liked to us 'It was/had' too often to start a sentence. Try to mix it up some more to avoid it sounding like a detailed list - otherwise your descriptions seems pretty good to me and was enjoyable to read - it gave me a good idea of what things looked like.
    Chris hesitantly put his feet on the bird's wings, I think he was maybe unsure if they were strong enough to take his weight.
    I'd suggest changing that comma to a full stop.
    There was also a growlithe wandering around, panting happily and oblivious, wagging its warm plush tail all over the place.
    This sentence sounded a bit odd to me around the 'and oblivious' part - some rewording might be in order.
    I'm not your fuking kid brother, you understand?"
    Might have been a purposeful change from the actual spelling because of the swear filter and avoiding it all becoming a bunch of stars (***** etc) but I feel like pointing it out, as it did distract a bit for me.
    Some returned very quickly, already being quiet adept at battling alongside their pokemon and were back in less than a month.
    quite.
    It stayed low to the ground. Its breathing looked erratic, going by the inconsistent expansion and contraction of its mid-section. It shook its head from side to side with a shiver as though it was shaking water off itself, fluffing up its coat for a moment before resuming to the battle. It was failing to hide a limp.
    Another instance I'll point out that 'starting sentences with the same word' thing here - again just try to mix it up more often.
    A bit embarrassing considering there's not much chance of paralysis from that move (and considering that oh-so-pretty hair was now standing on end like a lion's mane).
    This was a fairly amusing piece of visual imagery. XD

Overall a great start, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - just watch out for the small things here and there. Keep it up!

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks for writing style corrections and grammar corrections Astinus, Dragonite Ernston and bobandbill. It really helps because I'm aware that I am a bit awkward when it comes to getting my writing to flow correctly and there are certain grammar and punctuation rules that I still struggle to grasp, so the input really helps.

Surprisingly this is one of my better writings. It is almost a fluke that I got it to flow this well, normally it would be far worse than this. I just hope it wasn't a fluke so I can hopefully improve on it.

A true Nuzlocke run would have the rule where you can only catch one Pokémon per area, and I'm interested in how you plan on enforcing that.

Limitation on apricorns. One of the added rules I'm going to give is that there is a limitation on how many pokeballs (representing apricorns) and items you can buy due to limited store stock (or absence of stores all together in some locations) and this added with a lack of a pokedex to fill up would mean a limitation on caught pokemon. Hugh might want to save his apricorns and only catch one per so-many areas. There will be other optional limitations too.

I don't mean to argue, but didn't the original nuzlocke challenge actually say your pokemon dies, rather than just releasing it? I'm pretty sure it did.

But you're right about one thing, it's not going to be directly based off the happenings in the game play right down to the move or even down to who was fought. Mostly just who was caught and who died and where it happened. So It'll be based very loosely.

Anyway here's hoping you could maybe keep me on my toes in later chapters? I don't want my writing style to slip again, this is the best I've done so far (since I have a very child-like style of writing at the best of times), even though you didn't think it was very good.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Limitation on apricorns. One of the added rules I'm going to give is that there is a limitation on how many pokeballs (representing apricorns) and items you can buy due to limited store stock (or absence of stores all together in some locations) and this added with a lack of a pokedex to fill up would mean a limitation on caught pokemon. Hugh might want to save his apricorns and only catch one per so-many areas. There will be other optional limitations too.

Well then, it's kind of an approximated Nuzlocke run, then. That's fine too ^_^

I don't mean to argue, but didn't the original nuzlocke challenge actually say your pokemon dies, rather than just releasing it? I'm pretty sure it did.

Not if the first strip of the original Nuzlocke comic is anything to go by.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'm not going to try commenting on grammar/spelling/mechanics/whatever, not just because I'm trying to focus on the story but also because it looks like your other reviewers covered that thoroughly as it is. This note really isn't world-shakingly important; it just tells you what to expect from the rest of this review in a sort of "I hope you don't mind but" kind of way.

To start things off, I've read a lot of fics that started with a lot of information being dropped, and this one did it pretty well. It establishes the background of your world with carefully chosen details, so it's clear to a reader that everything we're reading is pretty important to remember. Even more than that, it's interesting. It's not overly flowery or textbook-dry. Instead, it comes across as straightforward yet respectful for traditions. Also, I like the idea that there was actually a sensible reason behind the entire idea of a Pokémon journey. Other writers tend to have difficulties explaining what the Elite Four and the regional champion are, but with your explanation that the entire quest is just a coming-of-age ritual, their existence makes complete and perfect sense.

I'm also liking how this is playing out. You've got the beginnings of a riot happening in ways that I think are pretty realistic, and the entire scene with Hugh and Chris journeying through the darkened streets of Celadon invoked an anxious feeling rather well. I kept expecting something serious to happen (gunshots, gangs in the streets, something along those lines) to happen right then and there, and besides that, the fic has this gritty, post-apocalyptic feel to it that kept my interest up.

The descriptions in general were pretty well-executed. For example, I really liked the detail Hugh gave in the flight scene. It's one of those strokes within the story where you take a look at something completely ordinary within the games (in this case, Fly) and actually expand upon it to give us a glimpse of it in a way that doesn't just shrug it off as ordinary. I know this probably makes no sense, but what I mean is a lot of writers skip over that awkward period where a character is using Fly with their Pokémon for the first time; you're recognizing that it might be a big thing, an opportunity to evoke an emotion in your audience. As a result, we end up feeling a little airsick for Hugh because instead of treating it like a normal, everyday mode of transportation, you're having him tell us exactly what he's seeing and how many knots in his stomach he's getting from it.

I also appreciate the idea of a hippie survivor's commune in Oak's laboratory. Just saying.

Also? I like the entire next scene. You built up the past bits to make it seem like this was going to be a cutesy journey of two brothers across the region, and then, you pull out Paul and his idea of enforcing the rules of the journey. There's no longer a doubt in anyone's mind that this isn't the pansy league you'd see in other trainer fics. The hero doesn't get a Max expy tagging along and being cute. It's brutal, violent, and at the risk of defining half of what I read right away, pretty exciting. The part about Hugh never seeing Chris again left a chilled feeling in me, like I was watching someone kick a puppy after punching it in the face.

I do have to object, though, at the idea that women wouldn't survive in this kind of sport if pitted against men. Maybe it's just the feminist in me talking, but I know a few women (myself included, not to brag) who can kick the crap out of a guy if put in the right situation. And that's both with and without weapons – and sometimes without training, too. So, maybe this would be true for a few girls, but I certainly wouldn't say the majority of them would. It'd be like saying the majority of guys are macho men who are natural-born fighters. Some are pretty tough. Some are whiny pansies who don't know how to throw a punch if their lives depended on it.

But for a girl, sure, some girls don't have the same kind of body strength as a guy, but in a fight between a girl and a guy, the outcome would still depend. If the girl was trained, she'd know to rely on techniques that exploit an opponent's weaknesses – stance, whether or not they're leaving themselves open, reaction time, that sort of thing. If the girl was untrained, some of them are seriously built like tanks. (Just check out any women's rugby team.) A woman's strength tends to be in the legs, not the arms, meaning kicks would probably be something to watch out for. (Not to say that a girl can't punch your lights out if she wanted.) If the girl was untrained and lacked general body strength, you've got the fact that women + anything that can remotely be used as a weapon = hope you like fighting blind. Seriously, women can be pretty vicious when provoked. (Also, keep in mind that women in canon are just as violent as men. Misty and Jessie, for example, had absolutely no qualms with beating the crap out of Ash, Brock, and James. Sometimes for the tiniest issues. In the games, you've got an entire class of this called the Battle Girl.)

If it's an issue of interest, that still depends. Because Pokémon training was an equal opportunity sport, it's very likely that girls would try to jump into Pokémon fighting. Others might go into it because they don't want the whole thing to become a male-dominated sport. Sure, there might be a few who're turned off by the violence, but that's a given with both genders, really.

However, I do approve of the fact that you let the first battle in this series go to a woman. In general, the battle itself was pretty visceral. I could practically imagine the pain while you described the Thunderpunch connecting, Shell's Hi Jump Kick slamming into Persian, Gav kicking the feet out from under both Shell and her partner... pretty much everything. It was also a nice touch to show Shell's and Hitmonchan's expressions and the way each strategy played off each other. This made the battle rather refreshing, in my view. It wasn't easy to determine who would win, just because the upper hand was passed between both sides pretty rapidly. As a result, the end of the battle was incredibly satisfying because Shell had to earn that victory, not just blast through it, and of course I felt inclined to root for her because of how many times it looked like she was about to get her teeth kicked in.

In short, you're off to a pretty interesting start. You've got a gritty, nearly post-apocalyptic setting complete with a society based on a form of Pokémon training that seems to have taken a page out of Fight Club. This world is carefully built and presented, with no detail out of place, and it frequently gives us fresh looks at what seem to be ordinary concepts in the Pokémon world. Hugh actually has a voice (as in, I can practically imagine his tone as he tells this story), and quite frequently, thanks to how vivid his descriptions are, I can almost feel how he felt. Moreover, your battles are well-constructed, with enough action and enough unpredictability to make them fascinating.

My only advice to you, then, besides anything that the others might have already given, is to avoid falling into macho stereotypes associated with action flicks. Bluntly put, I'm a little afraid of what you might do to female characters (thanks to what was said about the gender ratio in the field of Pokémon fighting and how you first described Shell, implying her to look weak and uncertain), but if a lot of them are like Shell (and if Shell actually turns out to be a pretty strong female character in terms of personality as well), this might not be an issue.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    You just might want to check the rules listed on that site. They say that if a Pokemon faints, it's considered dead and should be released. Since there is no death in Pokemon games, releasing is the closest thing a player can get.

I'm sure it's even in the second or third page of the comic. Nothing referring to them being deposited, in the comic they very clearly die.

Spoiler:

Thanks for your views. I'm glad you like it. I feel it's almost a fluke chapter though. My writing style is usually a lot worse. So I won't continue the next chapter in a rush, rather I'll just write when the inspiration hits, just like the prologue.

As for male to female ratio, I do have reasons for that besides "men are more physically strong than women". Through out history men have often (not always, but often) taken the upper-hand over women, particularly in physical sports, partially due to societal expectations of women, peer pressure, family pressure, male oppression, things like that - rather than the female physical condition. I expect in the situation in this story that this pattern is bound to repeat itself. I hoped this theme might play a role in the story.

Shell's body type doesn't really have much to do with her being a woman though. It's more to do with her being very energetic with a high metabolic rate. People like that tend to have little body fat and may even appear skinny. I know some guys who have that body type too.

I understand what you mean though

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Thanks for your views. I'm glad you like it. I feel it's almost a fluke chapter though. My writing style is usually a lot worse. So I won't continue the next chapter in a rush, rather I'll just write when the inspiration hits, just like the prologue.

No problem. Take your time. The best kinds of writing are done by authors who get that they don't need to have a chapter up every other day.

As for male to female ratio, I do have reasons for that besides "men are more physically strong than women". Through out history men have often (not always, but often) taken the upper-hand over women, particularly in physical sports, partially due to societal expectations of women, peer pressure, family pressure, male oppression, things like that - rather than the female physical condition. I expect in the situation in this story that this pattern is bound to repeat itself. I hoped this theme might play a role in the story.

There's two things you'll want to remember, however.

1. This isn't necessarily true in the Pokémon world. It seems like they don't really care about gender in that world to the point where fields that would seem male-dominated (like Pokémon research or Pokémon training itself) are equal-opportunity events. In fact, within that universe, the fact that Cynthia is such a powerful trainer is taken so nonchalantly one could say there's no real evidence that it's at all surprising that she can beat the crap out of guys. Likewise, fields that would seem they should be female-dominated (like contests) have an equal number of male participants, implying that gender really isn't much of an issue at all. When it comes to Pokémon, at least.

2. Even if it had been in the past, the current state of the Pokémon world is that everything is equal-opportunity. It's unlikely that they'd fall back on a patriarchal system because they've reached a point where the remnants of that kind of society are few and far between. I say this because it's more likely that women will continue to think of the world as equal-opportunity and attempt to pursue this new field because they have no reason to assume a patriarchal system is in place (because one hasn't previously existed for some time).

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but what I'm trying to get down to is that the Pokémon world, as much as it bears similarities to the real world, is not the same thing historically and socially as reality. It's an extremely important distinction to keep in mind if you want to do some world-building on top of what canon has to offer.

Shell's body type doesn't really have much to do with her being a woman though. It's more to do with her being very energetic with a high metabolic rate.

See, this isn't really something that was implied by the text, to be honest. Sure, we see that she's got high energy, but most people in canon are energetic. Likewise, Gav seems like he's just as energetic as she is but is instead the buff and hulky type of guy, so the description just came off as implying that she looks like that because she's female. I'm not really sure how you'd rework it in the story to make it clear that she looks that way because of the way her body is, but.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    No problem. Take your time. The best kinds of writing are done by authors who get that they don't need to have a chapter up every other day.

There's two things you'll want to remember, however.

1. This isn't necessarily true in the Pokémon world. It seems like they don't really care about gender in that world to the point where fields that would seem male-dominated (like Pokémon research or Pokémon training itself) are equal-opportunity events. In fact, within that universe, the fact that Cynthia is such a powerful trainer is taken so nonchalantly one could say there's no real evidence that it's at all surprising that she can beat the crap out of guys. Likewise, fields that would seem they should be female-dominated (like contests) have an equal number of male participants, implying that gender really isn't much of an issue at all. When it comes to Pokémon, at least.

2. Even if it had been in the past, the current state of the Pokémon world is that everything is equal-opportunity. It's unlikely that they'd fall back on a patriarchal system because they've reached a point where the remnants of that kind of society are few and far between. I say this because it's more likely that women will continue to think of the world as equal-opportunity and attempt to pursue this new field because they have no reason to assume a patriarchal system is in place (because one hasn't previously existed for some time).

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but what I'm trying to get down to is that the Pokémon world, as much as it bears similarities to the real world, is not the same thing historically and socially as reality. It's an extremely important distinction to keep in mind if you want to do some world-building on top of what canon has to offer.

See, this isn't really something that was implied by the text, to be honest. Sure, we see that she's got high energy, but most people in canon are energetic. Likewise, Gav seems like he's just as energetic as she is but is instead the buff and hulky type of guy, so the description just came off as implying that she looks like that because she's female. I'm not really sure how you'd rework it in the story to make it clear that she looks that way because of the way her body is, but.

Okay, I get what you're saying, for the society that dominates the canon. I like to twist the canon a bit though, I don't like to stick to it exact.

The thing about societies is that although there may be a dominating culture, there are often sub-cultures scattered in-between, sometimes with vastly different opinions from the dominant culture. Although it's not expressed in canon, I do think it's possible that a pokemon world, like our own, would have variety of cultures within one society.

One such sub-culture (one of the largest) being the Pokemon Fighters and their supporters, who want to bring back the old way of life. One such aspect of that old way of life is that girls don't actually need to go on their pokemon journey (as opposed to the modern idea that neither females nor males are forced to journey) because of the out-dated belief that females must have their domestic roles to attend to and that they are less able to fight, and also because there were some females who were happy with staying home.

The belief isn't as extreme as it was in archaic times as it is affected by modern ideals, but it's still there in one form or another. Also, later chapters will reveal that although this is the impression Hugh is getting of the new society, there's a world beyond Pallet that isn't as dominated by the Pokemon Fighters as he once thought. It certainly won't be short of strong (physically or personality) female characters.

As for Shell, when I was writing about her, I wasn't really thinking about her being perceived that way because she is female. So I didn't really notice that she could be perceived that way. I'll try to think about how else I could describe her.

Bay

Years
  • Okaaaaaay, I'm late to this party, haha. Many people have already commented on this story, but I'm going to try to have my say on it different (though I'm pretty sure I'll repeat what the others had said, oi).

I'll say right off the bat I love the way you structured the prologue. Like Jax, the information in here is pretty well down, and to top it off you expand scenes that are uttermost important (Hugh and his brother going to Pallet Town and Hugh seeing his first fight). Half the time the prologues started off with info dump that later isn't that much important. The stuff about the solar storm, how Pokemon training was done the old way, and the chaos I know instantly will be the major things going on in this story and are related.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Pokemon and humans brawling one another unless a "Have you wrestled a Ursaring" joke comes around, but I think you did the action nicely. You're able to describe both the humans and Pokemons' actions, not leaving anyone out. Also, nicely done on the hard blows everyone had endured. I also like how you slowly develop Hugh's interest in Pokemon battling while seeing the fight.

There are a couple things I want to point out quickly. First thing is while Hugh is in Pallet Town, how did he knew things turned out worse after he left Celadon? Considering communication was scarce due to technology decaying rapidly, I wonder how he know the information over that. Word of mouth? I probably missed that part over how he was able to find out, though. If so, let me know.

Second, since both Pokemon and humans are fighting, how important will treating their injuries will be (and how will they go about it)? Again, with not much technology going by, I assume it would be hard for trainer and Pokemon to go by without most of their injuries taken care of (though I understand in this setting it's "survival of the fittest" and such).

Overall, very solid prologue there and I'm really looking forward to how Hugh's journey will go.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I, too, seem to be late to the party, but what a party it is! This is a very solid beginning, and most original, too. The prospect of the Pokemon world after a sudden loss of power is totally new to me, and the Aurora Borealis was a marvelous touch. It's easy to depict a disaster of this kind as being nothing but doom and gloom, and the fact that you included something beautiful along with it was both more realistic and made the doom aspect more powerful.

Now, I often have a problem with first-person account kind of stories, because some authors have a tendency to tell more than show, but that's absolutely not the case here. The events Hugh recalls are vivid and fascinating. My only complaint about the structure is that it feels kind of long for a continuous stream of conscience. That's entirely my opinion; I just tend to prefer more breaks in the narration. Hardly an issue at all, because the story is so gripping.

Another thing I have to praise: the battle scene. Pokemon battles have a tendency to feel kind of safe and weightless because of the source material, but yours had a real toughness about them. It was more visceral than I usually see by a long shot. Also, excellent implementation of the humans-fighting-with-pokemon concept. I honestly feel worried about how poor little Hugh will have to do the same thing soon...

As for the whole sexist society deal, I'm with Jax that it seems kind of out of place in the Pokemon world, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The male-dominated aspect makes me kind of cringe at the new society's ideals, which is exactly how many of the normal people in this world are reacting to the development. Not sure if this is what you were going for, but the sexism aspect makes me feel a level of shock and dissonance with the new Pokemon Fighters that I wouldn't have felt otherwise (because hey, violence in Pokemon fanfiction is nothing that we're not used to). I'd go so far to say that it adds to the weight of the story. I think it could be great if you go deeper into the nuances and conflict of the concept over the course of the story. That said, it's a good thing for your PR that you had the first fight involve a female who wins. xD

Now that all my gushing is out of the way, here are a few problems grammar and writing-wise I found:

That day we had record temperatures of around 90 F degrees. That's hot for Celadon.
    That's a redundancy. If they're record temperatures, we can tell that it's hot for Celadon.

It had a longer pointier beak, skinny neck and a darker colour.

They were like two blue heavy muscled body guards
    When you have listed adjectives like that, you need commas between them.

He took Anthony and I on a short excursion to the other side of the town to watch some fights.
    This is iffy because it's first person, so you could just say that Hugh's grammar isn't great, but "me" is correct there because Hugh isn't the subject.

I first thought that the words "exasperated" and "cottoned" were misused, but upon looking up how else they can be used it turns out you were right. I hereby bestow you with the Obscure or Uncommon Word Usage Award!

Excellent introduction to Hugh and this fascinating new setting. I can't wait to see where things go from here!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Hallo *waves enthusiastically*

Oh hey, jumping on the bandwagon, despite being part of the latecomers, but whatever am I right? I was actually ambivalent about wanting to do a review for this one since I had a review quota to achieve, and I didn't really want to do a long one, but your fic just drew me. Oh yes, I'll probably end up repeating what's been said, but I don't really care about that at the moment, because this is mostly meant as an appraisal for how you handled the writing.

First off, let me commend you on a particularly excellent use of storytelling. It wasn't incredibly descriptive to the point of becoming repetitive and yet you managed to capture the essence of the background in which the fic is set incredibly. The backstory behind the illegal brawls was a nice deviation from standard pokemon journey fics and I'm actually loving how realistic you portrayed the solar storm. You even added the fantastic, IMHO, touches on the glowing power lines, which is, I think what would happen based on this documentary I once watched. Still, some science is better than no science at all and, hell, that was amazing. Still on storytelling, Hugh's narrative particularly caught my fancy. Throughout, it's evident that he's telling the story from something that happened in his past, and you make the effect even more realistic by the inclusion of tiny, insignificant details which an eight year old would easily recall. You know, those dramatic moments, like cussing at cops, which are tiny details that stop this from becoming too much of a summary and more off a retelling of past episodes through the eyes of your standard ten-year-old who spouts out anything interesting that he may remember. That's a good first-person narrative, that. It's nice to see something refreshing like this once in a while where the young narrator doesn't use grammar beyond his age or acts too much like a professional storyteller.

The plot itself is an interesting one. I haven't seen too much in the 'fighting alongside your Pokémon' story, so I was pleased to find one which was executed so brilliantly too. Having touched on the backstory, let's focus on that one fight. I won't repeat what Jax has said about how nicely the fight was described, but I'll instead focus on those aspects of storytelling which I really enjoyed. For instance, the inclusion of that little Paul comment there on how the match was progressing. Amazing really. You take the reader out of the action momentarily and remind us that this the narrator's a kid, someone who's liable to remember these tiny details, and also that there's actually a crowd watching the battle. All this adds to the realism of the piece leaving me quite amazed at these tiny, awesome details which you keep adding into your fic.

So overall, yes, I love this am looking forward to more. If I do perform another review for you, I'll probably go much more into characterization, but for the moment there's not enough material for me to go too much in-depth about Hugh's character. Other people might find it easier if they extrapolate some info from his behaviour through some other vague psychological method, but I prefer to work with some concrete indication of his personality.

Anyway, loving the fic, did more of a review than I was planning, and good luck. ;D

Back