• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why they hatin'?

Years
Well, that was a corny title, was it not? Anyhow, Sinnoh has recieved a considerable amount of hate, among the fan community. What I'd like to know is what was it that made you dislike Sinnoh. Was there one particular thing that made you stray away from Sinnoh, or was it a multitude of things?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm not one of those haters, but I think one of the reasons why people hate Sinnoh is because of the designs of some of the older Pokemon's pre-evolved forms (like Rhyperior).

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
Years
I think because it's new, no one I've come across has been happy with a region since Johto.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
They probably didn't like the fact that some of their favorites from the past were touched and converted into pre-evolutions and evolutions. Or the fact they might have over did it on the amount of evolutions. I really don't see what is up with all the hate though, I think they had some decent starters, a decent story with Team Galatic. A funny rival in Barry, and one of the best Champs imo in Cythia who has one of the most balanced teams in the history of pokemon for any trainer. The region is extensive and there is a lot to see. So I don't see what is not to like.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
Well I can't see what is not to like about it. Probably because Unova's graphics etc. made people think Sinnoh was lame. Maybe they wanted lots of cities like there were in Hoenn.There is a chance they did not like the new evos such as Gliscor. But like I said I am pretty sure they think it is lame compared to Unova.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I reckon it's fantastic. People just don't like it because their favourite Pokemon got new evolutions that they thought looked bad or something - or at least, that seems to be the case with most. It's that whole corruption of nostalgia concept. Remember Gligar? He was so cute. And then GLISCORARGLEBLARGELFWAAAAAWHAT

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
I reckon it's fantastic. People just don't like it because their favourite Pokemon got new evolutions that they thought looked bad or something - or at least, that seems to be the case with most. It's that whole corruption of nostalgia concept. Remember Gligar? He was so cute. And then GLISCORARGLEBLARGELFWAAAAAWHAT

to add up to what has been said, and this is purely based on my observation and alot of surfing through the net. I found out that people don't like the fact that the Sinnoh legendaries introduced in the 4th gen pokemon games somewhat made the pokemons of older generation weaklings or not on par with the legendaries of Sinnoh mainly Arceus and the creation Trio.

They didn't like the fact that those pokemons are of in a different level than the favorite pokemon of all time - Mewtwo. But I myself think that Mewtwo is still stronger than the creation trio though I don't think it can par with Arceus which is basically a God.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Sinnoh is sorta still my favourite since it was my first owned game region. I don't get the hate with it and Hoenn, but nostalgic people don't like change. Funny thing is I hate Johto and I'm not a fan of Kanto ^_^ Newer people to the series will like the newer regions while older fans like what they began with.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
I like all games in there own way, Just need to get the Pokemon Black to work :)

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Some people prefer Red/Blue/Gold/Silver.

Spheal with it, its the new generation. It was my first game, so I also don't get the hate. The story was just FANTASTIC, and everything else was just great about it.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
Years
I don't necessarily hate it, but I rank it lower than others. I didn't like the generation as much as any of the others, for various reasons, but I didn't hate it.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
Years
I thought Gen IV was a bit of a letdown, but I didn't hate it. I actually enjoyed the games quite a lot. The Pokemon were only satisfactory, though.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
It wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't come close to my expections... I couldn't take team galactic seriously (mainly because of their comedy fashion), but pokemon in there were generally forgettable also, nothing special. One positive thing though, was that they had the best music tracks. I could listen to them all day :)

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Sinnoh? Bad?

Not necessarily. I liked Pearl version quite a bit. Team Galactic was funny, and the music was just great. Not to mention the awesome new Pokemon introduced to us, like Palkia and Shaymin. And Platinum just made everything even more awesome! :)

But... I will confess, I still like Soulsilver just a little bit more than Platinum version. May be the nostalgia factor. I liked the original Silver. But Platinum's still up there. (Origin Forme Giratina FTW!) :3

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I. LOVE. SINNOH.

I am not really sure why, but it is my favorite generation and region. Maybe it is prejudice, I really don't understand why people dislike it so much. I think it is absolutely amazing.

Hoenn is the one I hate though :/

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
Years
I. LOVE. SINNOH.

I am not really sure why, but it is my favorite generation and region. Maybe it is prejudice, I really don't understand why people dislike it so much. I think it is absolutely amazing.

Hoenn is the one I hate though :/

Word.

Well, I don't hate Hoenn, but I didn't find it amusing or exciting. Despite a lot of ideas came from Hoenn, it was still this stuck-between old and new game for me. Sinnoh expanded on them and played it right (for me). And I didn't like the Pokemon that much, in fact I only remember liking Treecko's evolutionary line off the top of my head.

I liked Sinnoh because there was just so much to do with old and new Pokemon. You didn't have to change the bikes, the contests were better. I have to admit though, it took some getting used to the crazy additions in some of the evolutionary lines.

Years
Sinnoh is my favourite region of all of them, including Johto. Its design is more intricate and full than any other region. It's non-linear. You revisit many places you've been to before on your way. The mood it sets is also very warm and traditional. Basically the same reasons I like Johto only moreso, since it's larger (newer) and more complete. I get the sense it's the largest single region.

To me, Unova is the new Hoenn: tacky and fake. Did you notice how in B/W, you progress along a single path the entire way up to the Elite Four?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I'm one of those infamous Sinnoh-haters, and to be honest, I just can't put my finger on what irks me about D/P. All I know is that the games bored me out of them. I've never gotten further than beating Volkner in any Sinnoh-based game. >_>

Here's a small list of things that just rub me the wrong way:
- Team Galactic's storyline is hard to take seriously
- The plot's pacing is just...slow...
- I want to stab Barry repeatedly anytime he's on screen.
- With the exception of the main three, the legendaries are boring and not worth hunting.
- Sinnoh is generally very frustrating to navigate, especially Mt. Coronet and the Snowpoint area.
- My choice in fire-type was limited to either a horsie with fairly weak stats or an ape with broken stats but a horribad design. way to undermine how awesome the other two starters are, by the way...

I hear a couple of these were rectified in Platinum, but to be honest, I didn't even notice it was released until shortly before HGSS were announced. >_>

Years
- Sinnoh is generally very frustrating to navigate, especially Mt. Coronet and the Snowpoint area.
I get the feeling the very same reason you hate it is the reason why I love it so much. The non-linear region layout was epic. As opposed to the tunnel vision Black & White give me.

Unova has what, 16 routes, as compared to Sinnoh's 30. By numbers, Unova is smaller than Kanto! They're comparable when you count all the extras.

Back