• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kanto Starters in X & Y!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Also @ Xander I remember other people also being behind the online transfer theory (I'm not one though I did consider the possibly, I was mostly for an app which sort of happened...but not the way I or others supporting the app theory had thought), so it doesn't seem proper to say you were the only one supporting it...

I was the one to bring up the possibility which everyone else rode off as not likely to happen. I kept pushing it as a possibility though everyone else in the convo kept saying it would just be an app or they'd fix game to game transfers. I was the only one supporting the online transfer method while everyone else was arguing over how the App would work.

Giving thought to it doesn't support it. It was easily dismissed by majority of the people in the original discussion with me bringing it back up. So it is accurate to say I was the only one supporting it. If others mentioned support, I apologize for not seeing your posts, really, but I was the one arguing for it's support as opposed to just the app.

Years
  • Haven't decided...Venusaur looks promising...Kinda want Squirtle because its Water and I love Water. Starting with Froakie....Getting the Torchic from Download...IF I get three starters OMG I won't know what to do with myself....so conflicted cause I want the third to be grass, but I love Water types and always start with a Water Starter and don't want to miss out on Squirtle, but at the same time Charizard is Dragon like...more so now with its Mega Evolution...I love Dragons as much as I love Water types....>.< Gen 1 was the only generation I have ever had a lot of trouble picking my starter and they just did this to give me hell in Gen 6! >.<

I know how you feel Xander, that tough decision. Assuming my wi-fi works well with my 3DS XL so I can get that Torchic, it's safe to assume that I might have my Grass/Fire/Water team slots taken up entirely by starters, something I have never done before. I always tend to start with the Water-types too, so that's why I'm going on the Froakie route like you, and while I do like Squirtle it would make my team a bit redundant. I think my Kanto starter should take up my Grass slot, that being Bulbasaur.

You know, they could always offer the Kanto starters early on and later have the Johto, Hoenn, and/or Sinnoh starters available post-game.

Also, spinning the topic a bit, but which Kanto starter is everyone going to choose!?

Yeah I could see this too. They should have some way to obtain other regions' starters in postgame or something.

And I think I know the Kanto starter I'm choosing. I'm going with Bulbasaur!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Oh no I'm also thinking of getting Charmander now to get three fire types...as I said in the 40 day thread, time to spend the next 38 or so days deciding which one I'll pick...

Years
  • Apparently we receive the starters from Professor Sycamore in Lumiouse City, which to me looks like the third/fourth city maybe?
    Where did you hear this from Suicune? I can't find it anywhere.

It seems like a good place to get them though, and it proably is the third city, or at least third gym city.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Where did you hear this from Suicune? I can't find it anywhere.

It seems like a good place to get them though, and it proably is the third city, or at least third gym city.

It's listed on the Mega Evolutions page for Venusaur, Charizard & Blastoise on Serebii.

"This Pokémon was first revealed in the Pokémon Direct on September 4th. This Pokémon is to Mega Evolve from the Bulbasaur you receive from Professor Sycamore in Lumiose City"

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    ...well ya. We already knew that we wouldn't even meet the professor until we got to Lumoise City. That was stated like forever ago back when he was first revealed. It said we didn't meet him in the beginning city, we wouldn't meet him until we went to Lumoise City. They even show the entire crew heading to Lumoise at the start of the game. At the time we didn't know if we had our starters then though. We were shown going through a forest as well. Its one of the older trailers.

Years
  • It's listed on the Mega Evolutions page for Venusaur, Charizard & Blastoise on Serebii.

"This Pokémon was first revealed in the Pokémon Direct on September 4th. This Pokémon is to Mega Evolve from the Bulbasaur you receive from Professor Sycamore in Lumiose City"
    Thanks for the info. I knew about meeting him in the city but wasn't sure if he'll give them right then and there. It's good to know that he apparently does :)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Thanks for the info. I knew about meeting him in the city but wasn't sure if he'll give them right then and there. It's good to know that he apparently does :)
    Well, that's still left to be determined. While it's likely we'll get the starters in Lumiose City, that's only because that's where Professor Sycamore resides. We're still unsure if we'll get them immediately during our first encounter with him or at a later time back at his lab. I'm leaning more towards sooner than later though.

Years
  • Well, that's still left to be determined. While it's likely we'll get the starters in Lumiose City, that's only because that's where Professor Sycamore resides. We're still unsure if we'll get them immediately during our first encounter with him or at a later time back at his lab. I'm leaning more towards sooner than later though.
    So people are just assuming he'll give them to us during our first encounter...made me think it was confirmed.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's not confirmed by any means, but it does seem like a suitable place to receive them. If you meet Professor Sycamore for the first time in Lumiouse City then it would be a good idea to receive one of the starters from him as it always has been.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I suppose I'll pick Squirtle since he's my favourite. I won't be using him though. One starter is enough and I'd rather have mawile as my mega/past gen pokemon.

Anyone else not using it?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I suppose I'll pick Squirtle since he's my favourite. I won't be using him though. One starter is enough and I'd rather have mawile as my mega/past gen pokemon.

Anyone else not using it?

Well I wasn't going to use torchic , but I will use the Kanto starter since its part if the story

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'm most likely picking Bulbasaur, since Froakie will be my Water type and Talonflame or Litleo my Fire type. I really love the Bulbasaur line, and they're probably going to be very useful against the Fairy types. However, I'm also interested in Gogoat, and I'm a little afraid that if we get the Kanto starters before the Elite Four, I have to ditch either the Bulbasaur line or the Gogoat line.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Well I wasn't going to use torchic , but I will use the Kanto starter since its part if the story

Its not confirmed to be part of the story. We don't know when he gives us the starters. His Lab may be in Lumoise so after we do a specific event he may give them to us then, like beating a specific trainer (2/4 Oak), beating the game (Steven), or completing the Pokedex (Birch). If we have to learn about Mega Stones and mega Evolution then we have to play through half the game, then choose to go back to him in Lumoise to get the starters (just like Eevee in most games). This could be a completely optional thing.

I really feel like it'll be sooner. At the same time, I can definitely see why the starters would be saved for end-game. Remember HG/SS when you were offered the three Hoenn starters by Steven, which occurred postgame? It's very possible that it could play out like that, also. But I'm still thinking (and hoping) that it would be earlier than later.

Emerald you get the Johto Starters from Birch after completing the Pokedex.
    HG/SS you get the Kanto Starters after beating Red and having all 16 Badges.
    HG/SS Steven gives you a Hoenn Starter.

All of them are Post game when they were handed out. Two of which had some pretty difficult requirements.

I feel like it'll be later, after we do something specific.

Years
  • Perhaps it will require us to do something, but I think it'll be story related. I don't think they'll announce the starter's being given to us if they're post game as they've never done this before for the already mentioned Johto starters post game in Emerald, and the Kanto and Hoenn starters post game in HgSs. Also considering the fact that we have four rivals two sets of starters for in story would actually make a lot of sense.

DexJr Karnage

Shiver TheKid
    Years
  • Honestly I think these Kanto Starters will be available early on with out needing to do a specific thing. GF is probably changing things up since this is a leap in Pokemon making drastic changes Px. So far everything they said sums it up to that. I mean if we weren't going to get those Kanto Starters til end game they wouldn't of said anything or say "take a Kanto starter through your Kalos Journey". And what journey would there be if you received the Kanto Starters near end game.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Its not confirmed to be part of the story. We don't know when he gives us the starters. His Lab may be in Lumoise so after we do a specific event he may give them to us then, like beating a specific trainer (2/4 Oak), beating the game (Steven), or completing the Pokedex (Birch). If we have to learn about Mega Stones and mega Evolution then we have to play through half the game, then choose to go back to him in Lumoise to get the starters (just like Eevee in most games). This could be a completely optional thing.

Emerald you get the Johto Starters from Birch after completing the Pokedex.
    HG/SS you get the Kanto Starters after beating Red and having all 16 Badges.
    HG/SS Steven gives you a Hoenn Starter.

All of them are Post game when they were handed out. Two of which had some pretty difficult requirements.

I feel like it'll be later, after we do something specific.

Official nintendo of Europe says we will get them early on via twitter

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    Totally changes my team plans!!! ...

I think now I'll do Chespin, Squirtle, and Torchic. @_@..

2nd playthrough I will probably to Fennekin, Bulbasaur, and I'll use a wild water Pokemon (unless there is another DLC starter, like Totodile or Mudkip!!).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Perhaps it will require us to do something, but I think it'll be story related. I don't think they'll announce the starter's being given to us if they're post game as they've never done this before for the already mentioned Johto starters post game in Emerald, and the Kanto and Hoenn starters post game in HgSs. Also considering the fact that we have four rivals two sets of starters for in story would actually make a lot of sense.

They have done that to Keldeo though. Big event info for Keldo, turned into Download event that you couldn't get full access for the in game event until later despite having him. They did that with Mewtwo during the Demo which everyone now sees as just for the Demo where the Professor gave you Mewtwo. When mewtwo was first shown with a new form there were people who were swearing that mewtwo will be available in game, or given to you. Neither of which have been confirmed yet either.

So they've advertised before games with Pokemon that you don't tend to get until much later if not Post game before. They did advertise the Starters in 4th Gen games. I remembered seeing those pop up for HG/SS though I don't know if it ever sparked this kinda response, though it did cause a small "Hoenn update" spam in various places then.

When they were still coming out my friend even knew about the Lati event...though how he found anything about dragons out I'll never know...

Official nintendo of Europe says we will get them early on via twitter

US twitter only says that they're back in X and Y with a link going to Youtube. Can you link the Europe twitter?

Right now after taking longer look at the page and the video...seems just like a regular advertisement for Mega Pokemon. Officially it doesn't say to take them with you through the Kalos region. It just says that they are available once again. I mean I'm surprised no one has jumped down and said Kanto Remakes confirmed...even as a joke. Seems like something related to Kanto is coming up at least with the Pallet Town First and Third Gen lab screen shots. I doubt there is another trip to Kanto...at this point I don't even want to think about another game set. There is a lot of awkward hype for Kanto right now though.

Last edited:
    Back