• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • A reminder that our new forum software has 2FA! It can be accessed by clicking your username and then "Password and security" from the menu. We strongly suggest not reusing passwords for your online accounts and enabling 2FA if possible.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen The Morality of Fusing Kyurem

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Warning: Story spoilers.

So I finally got around to beating Black 2. Really deep story, brilliant sequel. Like Black/White, Reshiram/Zekrom and now Kyurem willingly choose to join you. But what do they think about being combined? Zekrom begged to be saved and seperated, but that could've been because Ghetsis forced the fusion after already controlling Kyurem against its will. So is it Ghetsis they hate, or fusion altogether? Reshiram and Zekrom used to be a single Pokemon and Kyurem was born from the separation, but the DNA Splicers aren't exactly natural. They just combine Kyurem and just one of the legendary dragons. It doesn't look like restoration, more like a mutation, their combined body parts don't look even or natural. What even happens to their mind? Do they combine entities or keep both minds sharing one body? Most importantly, what do Kyurem and Reshiram/Zekrom feel about it? Are they all right with it? Is it wrong to fuse?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I haven't played gen 5 games but I think that the experience would be terrifying. To combine Pokemon in such an unnatural way would be completely immoral.

Years
If you look at Kyurem's Pokédex entry in BW2, it mentions that it awaits the missing parts of its body to be filled. And since you're not the trainer who wants to freeze Unova, I don't feel as bad about it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The origin of Kyurem and the DNA Splicers is never fully explained in B2W2. It's known that they're from around the same age, which means the fusion only happens because Kyurem is compatible with Reshiram/Zekrom, as one of the parts of the original dragon. It seems to me that the Splicers are something the ancient people of Unova created to try to rebuild the dragon, but as we all know, they're imperfect since they can only fuse two of the dragons at the same time, and one of them must be Kyurem.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I actually thought of exact words like the thread title says, 'The Morality of Fusing Kyurem'. I was disgusted by that cutscene... I know Pokemon are some data only, but that fusing cutscene just didn't feel that right, that is why I don't fuse Kyurem to Reshiram/Zekrom.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I believe it's not metamorphosis but more like... symbiosis.
Both fusion "materials" feel more complete and closer to their original form (while I would love to see the original dragon by fusing all 3 together, I'm aware that writers would have to create the original dragon and deepen the backstory about it).
I think both participants in fusion share the body in symbiotic way.

As for morality... morality solely depends on the origin of DNA Splicers. If and only if it's Ghetis' work then it would be very immoral to both Pokemon but if it's something that always existed it can't be that bad =)

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Yeah it is pretty inhumane but remember these people are an evil group of bad guys, isn't it inhumane or immoral to create a clone of a pokemon i.e. Mewtwo and didnt Team Plasma do something to Genesect.

Didn't Team Plasma purposely summon Dialga/Palkia/Giratina

Didn't Team Aqua purposely summon Kyogre

Didn't Team Magma purposely summon Groudon

Didn't Team Aqua and Magma indivertedly summon Rayquaza or anger him by doing that.

They are all very inhumane groups and they deserve more than what the player gives them.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Yeah it is pretty inhumane but remember these people are an evil group of bad guys, isn't it inhumane or immoral to create a clone of a pokemon i.e. Mewtwo and didnt Team Plasma do something to Genesect.

Didn't Team Plasma purposely summon Dialga/Palkia/Giratina

Didn't Team Aqua purposely summon Kyogre

Didn't Team Magma purposely summon Groudon

Didn't Team Aqua and Magma indivertedly summon Rayquaza or anger him by doing that.

They are all very inhumane groups and they deserve more than what the player gives them.

It was obviously inhumane when Ghetsis forced it, as he was already controlling them against their will. But now that both Kyurem and Zekrom willingly join you, what do they think when you fuse them?

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Considering that both dragons know you have the DNA splicers, and they probably know you intend to use it, they still join you. When you train White/Black Kyurem, they become happy.

My belief is that Kyurem is an empty shell like the game implies it to be, and only feels complete when fused with Reshiram or Zekrom. Both Reshiram and Zekrom both become stronger after fusion, so they probably appreciate it.

After everything is said and done, if they don't want to be fused, they really don't have to. They are legendary Pokemon, and don't need to do what they are told unlike common Pokemon. They simply choose to battle by your side, and can very likely leave if they don't feel that you are doing a great job as a trainer.

Years
As politely as I can put this, I find questioning morality in a fictional world to be futile. What if barometer of morality in Pokemon world is vastly different from our world's?

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
When I first went into this game, I was pretty psyched to use the fusing thing. But when I saw the cutscene and I realized that I had no idea what happened to Reshiram/Zekrom I was pretty upset. I don't think I've ever felt so upset over a Pokémon scene before haha. So, I don't fuse them in my game. I mean, what happens to them? Can Reshiram/Zekrom have their own consciousness or do they just become empty shells? It all just makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Years
Well, certain Pokémon fuse together to evolve e.g. Magnemite (atl eats in the descriptions) so is this different?

I did find it disheartening when it happened in game though and I was rather annoyed with Ghetsis.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
This legendary ice Pokémon waits for a hero to fill in the missing parts of its body with truth or ideals.

That is Kyurem's Pokedex description, so I'm guessing that Kyurem is very much willing to combine into one with Zekrom/Reshiram. After all, they were one from the start, isn't that the myth behind the origin of how Kyurem came into being? Kyurem seems to be nothing more than an empty shell; Reshiram and Zekrom are based on the yin-yang concept (i.e. seemingly opposing forces that are actually co-dependent), and Kyurem represents wuji, the initial void that was filled by the presence of yin-yang. Wouldn't that mean that in fact, Kyurem is actually suffering from its emptiness, and performing the fusion using the DNA Splicers, even if it is a man made item, means fulfilling Kyurem's ultimate destiny?

So no, I definitely think that simply the act of fusing Kyurem with Zekrom/Reshiram is not wrong. I don't think any of dragons rejects the fusion, but rather that they simply will not do it willingly if it is for evil purposes, such as Ghetsis's goal.

Years
That is Kyurem's Pokedex description, so I'm guessing that Kyurem is very much willing to combine into one with Zekrom/Reshiram. After all, they were one from the start, isn't that the myth behind the origin of how Kyurem came into being? Kyurem seems to be nothing more than an empty shell; Reshiram and Zekrom are based on the yin-yang concept (i.e. seemingly opposing forces that are actually co-dependent), and Kyurem represents wuji, the initial void that was filled by the presence of yin-yang. Wouldn't that mean that in fact, Kyurem is actually suffering from its emptiness, and performing the fusion using the DNA Splicers, even if it is a man made item, means fulfilling Kyurem's ultimate destiny?

So no, I definitely think that simply the act of fusing Kyurem with Zekrom/Reshiram is not wrong. I don't think any of dragons rejects the fusion, but rather that they simply will not do it willingly if it is for evil purposes, such as Ghetsis's goal.

This is pretty much exactly an unabridged saying of what I said near the top of this page, minus the whole concept of what Resiram and Zekrom are. So thank you.

Back