• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

$$$ on Collector's Edition of Video Games

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Have you ever bought the collector's edition of a video game? If so, which ones?

I've bought two in my life time: one for Dead Space 2 and I just finished pre-ordering the collector's edition of Dark Souls 2. I really wanted to get the figurine for that game and I'm always a fan of video game art design so I'm curious to see what the art book looks like when it comes in.

I was stupid and missed my opportunity to get the collector's edition of Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2. Oh well, I'll just drop some $$ on eBay at some point or another to get it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have Zelda Collector's Edition, but that's all. Unfortunately, something's wrong with it and it won't let me play The Legend of Zelda or Zelda II correctly. The B button doesn't work properly, however it's fine on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I'm wondering if it's just a bug in my copy.

Zet

Years
  • Quite a lot. Guild Wars 2, Infamous 2, The Last of Us, Persona 4 Golden are just a few of them. I currently have the collector's editions of Infamous: Second Son, and Watchdogs pre-ordered.

Years
  • I haven't actively sought out collector's editions of video games because they're usually substantially more expensive than just the game, but I did come into ownership of a Final Fantasy XIII-2 Collector's Edition because I found it still in stock at a local GameStop over a year after the game released. I also own a used special edition of BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend as well as the limited edition release of Shin Megami Tensei IV, but those were more spur of the moment acquisitions that I lucked into rather than things I actively sought out.

If I had more disposable income, I probably would seek out more collector's editions, though.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Battlefield 3 Limited Edition. It gave me the first DLC free, which was nice :). I later bought Premium Edition, which basically gave me ALL the DLC. Plus more.

Years
  • I'm an absolute hoarder when it comes to limited/collector's editions of games, especially the games I want :D Currently I have the Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition, Bravely Default Collector's Edition, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix Limited Edition, and have already pre-ordered Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition! They are my pride and joys~ I regret not getting the Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition, extremely \:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Love collectors things, currently FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII:Lightening Returns FFXHD (pre order +getting it send over from america :D) Guild Wars 2 (hated the game tho xD) and I'm sure I have another one but I can't think of what it is right now unfortunately.

Years
  • I have a ton of collector's editions. I try to ask ahead if there are any CEs coming out beforehand so I can save ahead.

Right now my special editions consist of --
    Gears of War and Gears of War 3
    Halo 3 and 4
    Disgaea D2
    Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2
    Catherine
    Bayonetta
    Fable 3 (which was a waste looking back now)
    Fallout New Vegas

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I'm curious as to whether or not the pricing for these limited/collector's edition of games is justified. Like, if you took everything from the box (i.e. game, figurine, real game map, art book, etc.) and added up their individual retail value if they come close - or even over - the original price you bought it for.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I do have a couple of collector's edition for some games, but not enough to show off and boast about, haha.

But some of the games that I do have collector's edition for is Bravely Default, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory.

I'm curious as to whether or not the pricing for these limited/collector's edition of games is justified. Like, if you took everything from the box (i.e. game, figurine, real game map, art book, etc.) and added up their individual retail value if they come close - or even over - the original price you bought it for.
    Depends on the contents of the collector's edition. Like for example the Tales of Xillia one which was $100 as opposed to the regular $60 seemed very justified, as the figurine it came with was of decent quality, and it alone seemed to be at least $30-40; also came with a hardcover artbook, soundtrack, and DLC. But if the contents was just standard art book, soundtrack, with no figurines, I would imagine the actual pricing to be slightly lower than what you payed for.

But, again this is just conjecture on my part.

Years
  • I'm curious as to whether or not the pricing for these limited/collector's edition of games is justified. Like, if you took everything from the box (i.e. game, figurine, real game map, art book, etc.) and added up their individual retail value if they come close - or even over - the original price you bought it for.

I think they're well worth the price, to be honest. The Bravely Default Collector's Edition, for example, came with decent items and I believe it was the Deluxe Edition that included the statue; the former was $50 from Amazon, but was a total of $60 because of the Canadian taxes >>;; I was also looking at the Drakengard 3 Collector's Edition, which I would really want mainly because of the gorgeous looking artbook and poster that comes along with it. But it would be about $100 for the entire thing + shipping.

Years
  • I have quite a few Collectors or limited edition games. I like to get the ones based on rpgs or games I really like, or anything Atlus or NIS America. I missed the Hyperdimension Neptuna 2 Savior of the game industry returns limited edition and I have been kicking myself for not getting that one.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I really like Collector's Editions. If it's a series or a game I know I like, I'll usually go for it. Partially to show my support for the series and partially just for the swag. :D

• Assassin's Creed II
    • Final Fantasy XIII-2
    • Ni no Kuni
    • Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
    • Tales of Xillia
    I feel like I'm probably forgetting some because I thought I had a lot more than that but maybe not. I think the most disappointing of those was FFXIII-2's but it was a pretty small CE so I didn't mind much. Ni no Kuni's CE was really impressive (the book was gorgeous!!) but I couldn't get into the game so I do kind of regret splurging on that one... :(

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    The only collector's edition I remember buying was avp 2010. I don't tend to go for collector's editions as I'm happy with a version that comes with the dlc. Though, when the collector's edition of mgs rising came out, Raiden's figure looked insanely awesome... but I only got the normal version of the game ;_;

Years
  • I think the only collector edition I ever had was Halo Reach because it barely cost anymore than the original version by the time I'd purchased it. I'm not even a major fan of Halo and I ended up finding the game poor compared to Halo 3 so I don't own it anymore.

I've been considered the collector edition for FF XIV on the basis that it only costs £10 more and since I'd be making a major investment if I bought it any way, I might as well just go for it. Final Fantasy looks like the best series to buy them for. I tried to buy one for XIII-2 because it was really cheap, but after ordering one I was told they were out of stock and had to settle for the regular version.

Back