• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Elemental Monkeys

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I'm not a big fan of monkeys in general (whether Pokémon or not), and I didn't like the design of these in particular. That said, I used my Panpour/Simipour longer than I normally would have because I was ridiculously proud of the nickname I gave her: Artemistia. Artemia is the genus that brine shrimp belong to. Brine shrimp = sea monkeys. And "mist" is self-explanatory.

I don't remember when exactly I quit using it, but I think I made it my HM slave for a while after that.

Schizii

Always tired.
    Years
  • I chose snivy my first round in Black, so I got Panpour. I thought he was a cutie, but I never actually used him, haha. I instead just beat up the gym with my itty bitty lillipup. vuv
    I'm not a fan of taking a lot of time out to raise just one pokemon, so since my main two [Snivy and Lillipup] were over-leveled to levels 14 and 15, I just boxed it and carried on.
    I have to say though, I think Pansear is a total cutie. Its evolved form is probably my favourite, because I think Chili's a cutie and I dig the funny little posture Simisear has. xD

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • To be honest, don't like any of the 3 elemental monkeys, nor their evolved forms.

My white and my black games both times I choosed Oshawott - both times got Pansear, but I boxed it right away - never brought it out again.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I've never been a fan of monkeys or anything monkey based(and yet I play Donkey Kong), but I used them in both games. I play for plot and they're treated as "unofficial starters" who are actually decent fighters to get through the story with.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • I did actually use Pansear as part of my team... waited to evolve it until it got Crunch, which made it lag behind the rest of my team a bit, but it could still hold its own somewhat. And yeah, it was still on my team straight through the Elite Four, if memory serves. It's kind of lousy how it starts with Incinerate rather than at least Ember, but that's all right.

Pansage by far is the best of the three moveset-wise, though. Having Seed Bomb so early on lets it wreck things that aren't prepared for it.

And I haven't used Panpour much, but... I still remember Simipour wrecking me in the PWT. Hydro Pump is mean... when it manages to hit, that is.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • My starter was Oshawott and so I got Pansear . I evolved him into Simisear but ditched that thing as soon as I got Darumaka. I never liked Simisear that much. He just looked a bit too creepy.

My least favorite among the bunch is Simipour. Simipour looks a bit too girly for my taste and despite the fact that it's the best among the monkeys competitively, I'll probably never warm up to it.

I'll save the best for the last - Simisage. In my opinion Simisage has the best design. It looks like a boss. Also, Simisage is one of my main team members in my X Wedlocke.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Do not like panpour/pansage
    But seary (what I nicknamed pansear) I used him after I caught him at pinwheel forest until after the 7th gym. (Then he became useless)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I didn't use the monkeys or the starters in B/W. There were just too many good things to replace them with that worked better.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I used them for sometime until somewhere where I find other pokemon more useful than the monkeys. If I go with Oshawott, I rather go with Darumaka instead of Pansear since these monkeys are fast swiper they tend to take more hits than any of their respective type.

Years
  • I dislike those monkeys. A lot. Almost as much as Ice cream ones. I mean seriously, ugly monkeys with hideous haircuts. Monkey and Primeape compared to them are like Gyarados compared to a Metapod. No hate :D sort of xD

Years
  • I wanted to like the monkeys, but, I didn't like the designs of the evolutions. They could have been so much better design and ability wise, knowing all the cool different species of apes that could have been used as a model - imagine Simisage as a big, jungle-themed Gorilla with great physical stats. Or Simisear as a baboon or Orangutang. If they were a bit more menacing or stronger, I would have used them, no questions asked. The names are cool, though.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I really liked my Simipour the first time I played through White. It didn't actually stay in my party to the end of the game, but it gave me a lot of help early/mid game since it learned Scald naturally, which was a huge help against some of the gyms.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I got Pansear for my monkey I don't care for these three but I did keep it on my team all throughout the game. It helped me out a lot.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I used Simisear throughout story mode. :) Not very original for team-building, but I usually like to accept pokemon that are given to you or directly encountered throughout your journey (such as HGSS's Togepi egg, Red Gyarados, and the overworld Lapras at the end of the Union Cave sidequest.) I don't think the elemental monkeys designs were that good, but he's my friend so I make a special exception for him. ^^

Pinta77

I used to like them. They were like a second starter. But then when X & Y made them super common i didn't like them so much.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I only used one for the first gym and that was about the extent of it in any particular runthrough. They were kinda weak, even later on, so there wasn't a huge use for them, ya know? I feel like Paul, eh

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I got a panpour and only used it for the first gym. There were much better pokemon afterwards so I boxed it. Sadly for panpor it never got used after that :(

Back