• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Voltorb Flip: Yay or Nay?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 11, 2015
I didn't like this very much either, but it was better than just picking up coins in the Game Corner like in Platinum...

Years
I love Voltorb Flip. It's a fun, strategic game that I could play for hours. I may be one of the few people that prefers Voltorb Flip over the slot machines that they had in previous games.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
I like it, I think it is better then slots, with slots it's luck. And if I ever have a stomach ache I lay down on my stomach and play Voltorb Flip for a while

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I only got SS recently and I just got to Goldenrod and tbh I really like Voltorb Flip. When we were younger, me and my sister had an old timey computer with games like solitaire, yatzee, and minesweeper on it, so I thought a pokemon minesweeper game would suck at first, because I suck at that game. But this was a really nice touch actually, and has becoem really addicting.....
Even my 7 year old brother saw me playing and begged to let him play, saying it was better than slots. I suppose slots in Diamond, Sapphire and Yellow can keep me entertained when I want to play slots anyway. ^^

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'm not quite fond at Voltorb Flip, because for me, it seems like it's challenging, even at the first levels, because it requires some logic, and it takes time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It certainly is more fun than the Slots, that's for sure. At least it makes you feel like being skill based and while it still requires a little bit of luck it's not nearly as annoying as completely relying on an RNG. If you have a little bit of patience, getting coins is far more easier and faster this way.

Years
That is true, I find it to be more interesting than the slots that every game prior had. Even though RSE had the roulette, i'd still rather play this than that, because the chance of getting more coins is more practical.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
I think that this is better and not so frustrating as slots. It's not so hard in my opinion and I can get to lv 5-7 game in no time.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
On behalf of my continent, I can only apologise.

It has such a lousy payout. I would be able to tolerate Voltorb Flip if they still had the facility where you could spend money to BUY coins. OR they could have reduced the prices of the prizes to better reflect the game's payout, cos I think they were still geared towards slot machines.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Japanese version have slot machine and I loves slot machine more than Pico-Sweeper hybrid. It's just ridiculously boring. I know about the international legality that Gamefreak went to stop gambling addiction and they replace the good ol slot with something more annoying when picross and minesweeper put into a big blender of failure.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
Never appealed to me. Tried it a few times and thought "I'm wasting my time here, I should be training" and gave up. I pretty much flew through SS the first time I played it so all the early in-game bonuses made no effect.

Years
I've tried to play it many times, and every time, I couldn't get myself to like it. In my opinion, I find it rather complicated and tedious, trying to not get a Voltorb card. Well, at least I tried. It would have been nice if the slot machines were there, but sadly, things had to change due to reasons that I don't exactly know.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I never got the hang of it lol. I'd always lose early in the game and I'd lose interest and move on. I would have preferred a real Game Corner in Johto like the one you can get in Kanto. With Voltorb Flip as an add-on!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I'm fine with the Voltorb Flip, but it could have been better if the slots from Japanese HearGold and SoulSilver weren't removed because of the regulations regarding gambling. :/

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
Fun as hell, but I'm not a fan of coming up with my own coins through the game as in previous games I've always been able to go up to a clerk and use my Pokemoney to buy coins, therefore real money = actual prizes without paying.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
Years
I... I didn't particularly have any luck with slots, aside for DPPt, so I didn't necessarily miss them. However, I'm TERRIBLE at Voltorb Flip. ;; There's a certain strategy to it which I just can't quite get down, despite reading about it numerous times. So I don't hate it or view it as a downgrade from the slot machines or anything like that but I'm not in love with it.

Back