• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you miss the Nintendo WFC?

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
I remember that generation 4 Pokémon games were all about the online gameplay. They had so many interesting online features, which I still miss up to today. I always felt bad about the bad that Nintendo shut the online services for the DS down.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl:
  • Fantastic double battles online
  • The GTS! (with that legendary website that shutted down in 2010)

Pokémon Platinum:
  • The Pokémon plaza

Pokémon HG/SS:
  • Compilation of the reasons above

Pokémon Black/White 1/2:
  • The new battle types were epic online...

Not to mention the online puzzles for games like Professor Layton, online matches in FIFA 11, and many other legendary things about the Nintendo WFC...

How do/did you feel when Nintendo took the services down?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Some players need the help of GTS or Wi-Fi Trade in order to complete their Generation IV games. While it is understandable they had to shut down the Wi-Fi Server, in my opinion it is still irresponsible to do so. I don't really miss it, but I find it inconvenient!

Years
I never used the wi-fi features so I don't miss it all that much, but I can understand it gets harder to complete the Pokedex without it. We all have to move forward, as they say.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Even though I started to get proper Wi-Fi connection when I'm using XY, sometimes I'm wondering what does Wi-Fi Plaza looks like in Platinum and the others since I can't get to see them live, but I guess that can't be helped.

Infinitum

Years
The Pokémon Plaza was an interesting place where you could do several mini games with other, send some sort of messages and do several other things. You had some sort of toy which went better by spending time in the plaza or winning in mini games. It was just something... I can't describe it with words.

On a related forum someone once started a private server for Nintendo WFC, I quickly went big but... I didn't last for long. I think you might still be able to make use of it, maybe if we all used that private server and then went to the plaza... epic.

Last edited by a moderator:

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
Years
I think it's kinda silly that they took away wifi compatibility for the DS games. They can still be played on the 3DS, which can support the wifi for the 3DS games, so why not for the DS games too? It'd make sense that way and allow players who are playing them for the first time or replaying them to experience those features too.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I never understood why I couldn't use my own wifi instead of the nintendo WFC lol

I feel you. It made me wonder the lack of fan-servers for DS games, until I learned that there are some encrypted data for the Nintendo Wi-Fi thing. Long story short, it's sad that the Wi-Fi for DS games no longer work.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
I feel you. It made me wonder the lack of fan-servers for DS games, until I learned that there are some encrypted data for the Nintendo Wi-Fi thing. Long story short, it's sad that the Wi-Fi for DS games no longer work.

Yeah... wow... it's kind of as sad as when they stopped selling GBA games at gamestop lol

Infinitum

Years
Yeah... wow... it's kind of as sad as when they stopped selling GBA games at gamestop lol

It's almost as sad as realizing that you can still call the number on the back of your NES for technical support after 30 years, but you can't use the online service for your DS anymore.

Infinitum

Years
Truer words have never been spoken lol

A new quote made by master Infinitum!

But yeah, Nintendo have never been the most relevant thinkers in the world. Considering that nobody probably knows about that number still being used/actually using it, while still thousands of people used the Nintendo WFC... It takes longer to find a match on modern games on Origin than it took to find a battle on Pokémon Diamond. (who was already several years released...)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I never did use the Nintendo WFC outside of battling friends locally! At the time when it was still open, my DS had always had connection problems so I wasn't able to do much internet-wise.

Some of the stuff I'd of wanted to do if I did have the connection back then though - give away pokemon, do the whole 'capture the flag' game underground and wi-fi battle. I guess it's fine since I can do that now on X/Y and ORAS but it'd of been cool to do it in fourth gen!

Infinitum

Years
I never did use the Nintendo WFC outside of battling friends locally! At the time when it was still open, my DS had always had connection problems so I wasn't able to do much internet-wise.

Some of the stuff I'd of wanted to do if I did have the connection back then though - give away pokemon, do the whole 'capture the flag' game underground and wi-fi battle. I guess it's fine since I can do that now on X/Y and ORAS but it'd of been cool to do it in fourth gen!

in 4th GEN it was something more unique, cause it were the first handheld Pokémon games to introduce online multiplayer. I really want Nintendo to bring it back, but it will never return.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
By the time I got back into Pokemon it was almost too late. But now I go online on X and Y all the time, usually once per day. I never used Wifi on my regular DS

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Wasn't the main reason, why the WFC was shut down, because of the company hosting the servers going bankrupt? At least that's what I heard.

Instead of having to go through the trouble of finding a new host that could hold the servers for an outdated gameing console, it kind of makes sense, just to move on to the next console generation (3DS).

As for the WFC itself: I never used it, which was partly because of the Router settings that needed to be changed, just so you could access the internet via DS.

Infinitum

Years
Wasn't the main reason, why the WFC was shut down, because of the company hosting the servers going bankrupt? At least that's what I heard.

Instead of having to go through the trouble of finding a new host that could hold the servers for an outdated gameing console, it kind of makes sense, just to move on to the next console generation (3DS).

As for the WFC itself: I never used it, which was partly because of the Router settings that needed to be changed, just so you could access the internet via DS.

Yes, the DS didn't support WPA encryption so only WEP or no encryption could be used. Later DS consoles (DSi and upwards supported WPA, but only for browsing/eShop and not in game Wi-fi connection). Lot's of people weren't aware of that.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wasn't able to use the WFC in gen IV until the very end. Like...I didn't get any of the wifi events except Mew (which iirc was the last gen IV wifi event) and didn't get to trade in the height of gen IV. So while I do miss the WFC, it's mostly for other games rather than DPPt/HGSS. :P

Outlier

I never had wifi access until 6th gen so I missed out on all of the events. I still play Soul Silver more than anything but it sucks knowing that I'll never be able to complete the Pokedex. : (

Years
It took me forever to actually try it out in the first place, because the router where I lived at the time had the right kind of encryption, but oh whoops for whatever reason this router is incompatible with the DS (it was actually on a list I found of incompatible ones), too bad for you. And no, changing the router was not an option at the time. So basically, even though I finally got a place where I could connect to it, the most I ever did was just look at things a few times, and then totally forget about it all. And even then it was just for Platinum.

So there's really not much for me to miss in the first place. I was like "eh" when they took them down.

Back