• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you miss the Nintendo WFC?

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
  • It took me forever to actually try it out in the first place, because the router where I lived at the time had the right kind of encryption, but oh whoops for whatever reason this router is incompatible with the DS (it was actually on a list I found of incompatible ones), too bad for you. And no, changing the router was not an option at the time. So basically, even though I finally got a place where I could connect to it, the most I ever did was just look at things a few times, and then totally forget about it all. And even then it was just for Platinum.

So there's really not much for me to miss in the first place. I was like "eh" when they took them down.

Actually most of the routers had the option to change their encryption, so did mine. It also took me some time to figure out what was wrong, but once I did, I enjoyed every minute on the Nintendo WFC.

Years
  • Actually most of the routers had the option to change their encryption, so did mine. It also took me some time to figure out what was wrong, but once I did, I enjoyed every minute on the Nintendo WFC.
    Mine did have the right kind of encryption, or at least the option for it since I recall fiddling with things to try to get it to connect. It was just flat-out incompatible. I don't remember the exact model of that router, but I'm sure I saw it on Nintendo's site under a "we know these routers won't work" list of theirs, eh heh.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    It was so sad, and way too soon. B2W2 had only been out for a year and a half, and the online usage was still at a decent amount and imo enough to make the premature shutdown unjustified. :\

Like, if Microsoft and Sony can afford to keep their servers up for the 360 and PS3 then I'm pretty sure Nintendo could keep it up for Nintendo WFC... js.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I loved it the first time around, when I asked my mom to get me a nintendo wi-fi usb adapter, and then she was like, we can already use wi-fi, and then my stepfather sets up the router so my DS can connect to wi-fi, 'twas pretty cool.
    Spent the whole evening just browsing the GTS, and I'd browse the GTS a lot every day.

Loved when I came across my first event Pokémon on the GTS, some event Jirachi and Pokémon Colosseum Ho-Oh, I was pretty happy that I could finally get special Pokémon like that.

Nowadays though, I don't really care anymore. The excitement is over since.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    While I can see why this upsets others, I prefer to move forward. I really don't have any interest in completing the Pokedex on older games, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment of them. I can still go back and play through the story fine. As long as I still have Pokemon games that can connect to Wi-Fi and can still transfer my Pokemon up, it doesn't bother me at all. Besides, I find the Wi-Fi system of Gen IV to be less frustrating. No having to go to the GTS Station or Pokemon Centers to trade! Also, Wonder Trade is probably one of the most fun things ever to me.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • I don't have any memories for gen IV because I didn't have Nintendo Ds to play gen IV games. I was playing them on emulator. Fortunately, when Pokémon Black/White published, I bought a Nintendo DSi immediately.

4 or 5 months ago, I decided to play Pokémon White 2 all again so I deleted my game and restart. When I arrived at Castelia City and tried to global trade then saw the message that says Nintendo has shut down the online services for DS's, I was totally shocked and thought "This must be a joke". After learning from internet I felt so sadness, disappointment that I've never felt before. :(

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • I honestly really, and I mean REALLY got upset when they shut it down. For some odd reason, I will miss the Pokemon Plaza more than anything that had to do with wi-fi in the DS generations. I spent most of my time on there as a kid, and I only got to revisit it once, which was about 2 years ago. I'd do anything to revisit it at least one more time.

Years
  • My router's encryption was incompatible with the 4th Gen games, so I didn't get to use the WFC in SoulSilver. My 5th Gen games were heavily affected by the shutdown though; It's pretty much impossible to obtain more NPCs for Join Avenue now unless there are people around you who still play the games (also highly unlikely in where I live). White Forest is pretty much deserted as well due to the lack of players to connect with.

It took some getting used to playing without any WFC related features, but I don't really miss them that much nowadays.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Not really. I never had access to WFC back then even though I COULD, I just didn't know how, so I didn't really get to use it. So for me, I didn't really lose anything.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I do miss being able to use wifi on the older games. Gen IV was when I was most into Pokemon wifi (I remember spending a lot of time in summer 2007 playing and trading with people and negotiating trading deals), so wifi was a big part of those games for me. Admittedly, I hadn't touched wifi in gen IV in several years by the time they shut it down (I really could have used more time for it with gen V, though). I completed my Pokedex on Diamond a while ago, and I don't have that strong a desire to do so again (e.g., on HGSS), so the loss of wifi isn't a big deal from a completionist standpoint, but I did enjoy collecting events and such (though for the most part, fellow traders had moved on to other generations). I have two DS systems (DS and DS Lite), plus all of the gen IV games, so I can trade with myself as needed, but I do miss the flexibility that WFC provided.

That being said, I think wifi has improved a lot for Pokemon since it was introduced, and some of the features from gen IV seem obsolete now anyway (limited GTS searching, having to have the Pokemon in your party for wifi trades rather than hunting for it in your PC, etc.).

The 5th gen wifi, on the other hand, I do miss a lot, and I do feel like the end of WFC and the global link/dream elements does detract from those games in a significant way, which can't be made up for by just owning an extra DS and trading with myself.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Yes, the DS didn't support WPA encryption so only WEP or no encryption could be used.
    That's why it wasn't technically Wi-Fi, WPA (today WPA2) encryption has been one of the requirements of the Wi-Fi standard (IEEE 802.11) even before Nintendo WFC was released.

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector was technically bad as well, it was cheaper and better to buy an USB Wi-Fi adapter and set it to work as access point.

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • To be honest, I actually miss it. I met some good people through either HG or Black. And with Nintendo WFC gone and I can't afford to get a 3DS, I actually would wish they would bring it back.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I don't miss it too much. It would be nice to still have it (e.g. with the GTS otpion, or in B2W2 for Join Avenue), but luckily if I need to trade when replaying an older gen game I can trade with myself.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I really miss it. I had some of the best memories trading over Wifi throughout the DS generation. I never really did much with too trading on the 3DS because I still lack a reliable way to obtain shiny flawless Pokemon and a way to clone.

Back