• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Metapod vs. Metapod. Have you done it? Did you win?
Nope but maybe I might.

Years
It's about time I comment on this thread.

I believe I've done it at some point back in the day in Red/Blue. My Metapod that knew Tackle against a wild Metapod, which only ever seems to know Harden. We defeated it, but it took a while because of all the Hardening. xD

Yellow eyes or white eyes: which looks better on Metapod? Would you prefer a different eye colour altogether?
I don't think I've ever seen a Metapod with yellow eyes? I like white eyes more.

Does anyone remember the "Rock Harden" minigame in the first Pokemon Stadium? A lot of my memories regarding Metapod/Kakuna are associated with that minigame. ^_^
Spoiler:

Other than that, Metapod has been used a lot in dumb inappropriate jokes with the "Harden" move. :P

Years
tumblr_nt5d0pJvcn1rc3jkko8_500.gif

The greatest battle in the history of Poké-kind!

I have a few times. I generally catch a Caterpie first and then evolve it, so at least it knows Tackle. They aren't the most fun battles to have, but at least I haven't lost one yet, haha.

Yellow eyes or white eyes: which looks better on Metapod? Would you prefer a different eye colour altogether?
Not that I really have a preference, but I guess the off-white/yellow eyes suit Metapod better.

pkmin3033

392 - INFERNAPE

240px-392Infernape.png

"It tosses its enemies around with agility. It uses all its limbs to fight in its own unique style."

Happy Chinese New Year, folks! Celebrating the Year of the Monkey, today's Pokemon of the Day is Infernape! The second of three Fire/Fighting starters (and sparking a lot of ire amongst fans because of it) Infernape is the fully evolved form of Chimchar, first introduced in Generation IV. Infernape is perhaps best known for its prominent role in Ash's team in the Sinnoh saga, working its way up from an abused Chimchar under the control of Paul to ultimately defeat his Electivire and win Ash the match. It also featured as Elite Four Flint's signature Pokemon - defeating Ash's Infernape spectacularly in the process - and briefly in The Rise of Darkrai.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Infernape! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What did you think of Ash's Infernape in the anime? Were you satisfied with its development as a character, or were there things you would have changed?
  • Did it bother you that Infernape was a Fire/Fighting type, the same as Blaziken? If so, did this put you off choosing Chimchar as your starter?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
What did you think of Ash's Infernape in the anime? Were you satisfied with its development as a character, or were there things you would have changed?
My Infernape was way better than Ash's but I really liked how Ash actually evolved Infernape. I think the character was pretty good, not any better or worse than the others. Personally, I kind of hoped that Ash's Infernape might return some day, but that's something I've been saying for a lot of his Pokemon. Perhaps in a cameo? ;)

Did it bother you that Infernape was a Fire/Fighting type, the same as Blaziken? If so, did this put you off choosing Chimchar as your starter?
no

Okay okay. No, I thought Infernape's typing was great, and I didn't see it detracting from Blaziken at all. I knew right from the start that I wanted Chimchar, but I didn't necessarily pick it because of it's typing. I just thought the fire monkey was kinda cool, certainly a bit cooler than Turtwig. Now, comparing this to Emboar, which I didn't pick because I liked a different starter and not because of typing.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Infernape, huh? I don't really care that much for this pokémon, really. I don't find the design of it all that great first of all, and if we're talking Fire/Fighting then I'm going Blaziken without a second thought. Sure, Ash's Infernape might be awesome, but I felt like they spent a tad too much time developing its character, taking away from some of Ash's other pokémon sometimes. That's really all I have to say about it, I didn't really use it much (Turtwig all the way) so I don't have much experience with it.

blue

gucci
Years
Infernape is one of the starters I'm not such a fan of. I can't really say much about it since I've never been motivated to use one properly before, but I'd probably say the Chimchar line is my least favourite of all the starters.

Did it bother you that Infernape was a Fire/Fighting type, the same as Blaziken?

I think they could have taken a different turn in the typing for Infernape, perhaps Fire/Dark-type would have been better suited to it. Not helped by the fact that we would soon get yet another Fire/Fighting starter in the next generation.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
What did you think of Ash's Infernape in the anime? Were you satisfied with its development as a character, or were there things you would have changed?
I didn't see the whole thing but it was decent I guess.

Did it bother you that Infernape was a Fire/Fighting type, the same as Blaziken?
Nope, I joined in Plat onwards, so it never bothered me.

If I joined, like say, earlier, I still won't be bothered because it was only really the 2nd time.

Years
Infernape

I did not watch the anime, so I'll decline from the question related to it.

Not really, that dual-typing only got stale for me once it appeared a third time in Gen 5. Either way, I always use the fire starter first in every generation.

A lot of people don't like the Chimchar line for some reason, but I still like it more than, say... the Tepig line. *The cries of my White version Emboar can be heard in the distance.* x'D

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Infernape was easily the strongest Pokemon Ash had at the time and it was during the Sinnoh arc which had him actually evolving a lot of his Pokemon. Definitely a decent Pokemon in the competitive scene and it looks pretty cool is well.

Not really since it was only the second time and he was more about his fists while Blaziken was about those kicks. However Emboar was definitely the one too many.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Did it bother you that Infernape was a Fire/Fighting type, the same as Blaziken? If so, did this put you off choosing Chimchar as your starter?

For some reason I ALWAYS chose the Fire starter when first playing a game of a Generation (except Fennekin, because I have no 3DS). I wasn't really put off, and it's just OK.

pkmin3033

143 - SNORLAX

143Snorlax.png

"Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful."

All your pancakes are belong to Snorlax! The heaviest Normal-type Pokemon (and only outweighed by Avalugg and a few Legendary Pokemon) Snorlax is infamous for its voracious appetite and sleeping habits. It eats. It sleeps. It eats again. It sleeps again, usually inconveniently blocking the trainer's path, prompting a fetch quest for a Poke Flute. Introduced in the first generation – blocking the road both times – Snorlax would later receive a pre-evolution in the slightly more active Munchlax in Generation IV. In the anime it has mostly featured asleep or eating, although after capturing one that terrorised the Orange Islands, Ash later used it in battle to great effect in the Battle Frontier arc especially.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Snorlax! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How long did it take you to figure out how to get past Snorlax in R/B/Y? Did you use it once you had captured it...or did you make both of them faint?
  • Who is lazier: Slaking, or Snorlax?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Who is lazier: Slaking, or Snorlax?

Ladies and gentlemen, the newest lazy-off!

Game-wise, Slaking would be lazier, due to the fact that it has Truant as an ability. Also, its FR, LG, D, P, PT, HG, SS, B, W, X, and Y Dex entries say it's the laziest Pokémon in the world. Even its Ruby entry implies it only eats grass in its reach, and has no choice but to move to another spot.

Meanwhile, Snorlax wakes up only to eat. Rarely it exercises. It eats a LOT before going to sleep again. Also it doesn't care if Pokémon or humans bounce on its belly. Also it has a terrible speed compared to Slaking's which is a shocking 100. It also gets lazier once it gets fatter.

So...naturally, Slaking would be more lazy.

Last edited:

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 23, 2021
tgoykw said it best about the laziest.
I don't know why I couldn't attempt to catch the sleeping Snorlax in RBY. I mean sleeping pokemon are easier to catch. Why would I want to wake it up? Was my character just being nice, and not trying to capture it, and then Snorlax attacked then red liked Snorlax's attitude, and let it on his team?

The thing in Gen 1 I didn't get was the pain in the butt thirsty guards. I didn't know I needed to buy water.

Years
How long did it take you to figure out how to get past Snorlax in R/B/Y? Did you use it once you had captured it...or did you make both of them faint?
Knowing how careless I was as a child, I think I made at least one of the Snorlaxes faint. I don't think it took me too long to figure out what to do.

Probably Slaking, since it's an evolution of a sloth-like Pokemon?

I love Snorlax since it reminds me of my father. When I was a kid, Dad used to mimic Snorlax's cry from the anime and he says he relates to Snorlax since he loves sleeping and eating, and he snores loudly when he sleeps. xD

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Sawsbuck
crxSaIl.png

Sawsbuck is a really cool Pokémon. I like its design, and I like the multiple forms they implemented for it. Like Helioptile and Litleo's families, the Normal typing gives them access to scary STAB moves like Hyper Voice. Can't say I've ever used it in battle, but I do in fact have a (Spring) Deerling in AlphaSapphire from White. Spring and Summer are tired for my favorite forms, but Summer takes the cake for me because it was the month I was born in. If the different forms had unique moves (and I can completely understand why they don't), here's what I'd give them:

Summer: Leaf Blade (I dunno? It already knows Solar Beam regularly, plus it's physical and works with Grass typing)
Autumn: Leaf Storm (also Grass STAB)
Winter: Blizzard
Spring: Razor Wind (cause spring is windy, also because it works with the Normal typing)

THUNDURUS
gBcLla0.png

Eh...I don't have many good memories with the Weather Trio. I despised their designs when BW came out, and they still leave a bad taste in my mouth today. Yeah, they look like powerful, intimidating beasts, but they're just...ugly. Landorus and Tornadus' Therian forms look even worse. Thundurus' actually looks kinda badass. Thundurus are still waiting to be caught by me in my W file, I may go do that someday, or just get the one in AS.

Metapod
XJ2yv6g.png

I have a kind of respect for Metapod and the other cocoon Pokémon, for their neat designs and their outright silly portrayal in Pokémon media and reputation in the fandom, and I respect it for being such a trooper. :P I haven't done a Meta v Meta before, but it sounds like it'd be pretty hilarious. While I love green and yellow together, I think light blue complements Metapod's shade of lime-green than yellow.

You go, Metapod!

tumblr_moc8ccGM3K1s5w5v6o1_500.gif

Infernape
KU5fnHC.png

Ah, now I've some good memories with Infernape. For both Diamond and Platinum (the former of which I lost a little in between DP and Platinum came out), as always, I picked the Fire starter, Chimchar. In the latter, at least, he eventually evolved into an Infernape, and I remember him being one of my most-used Pokémon throughout the game, including in contests. Like my previous generation Blaziken, he eventually learned moves Fire Blast, Cut (I always thought my starters Cut...needless to say, I do not anymore), and Hyper Beam. I've since moved him up to my Gen 6 games. ^^

I don't really mind its typing, but it is nice to get some variation once in a while. I love its design and colors, I think the overall look of the Chimchar evolutionary line progressed quite nicely. Its got nice stats as well- equal Atk and Sp. Atk complement its Fighting and Fire typing, respectively. As for Ash's Infernape, I think I stopped frequently watching the anime a little after or before it evolved into Monferno, because I don't remember that much of it. I did like it as a Chimchar though, and I felt bad about how it was treated by Paul prior to its ownership by Ash.

Snorlax
KGvy52h.png

As iconic of a Pokémon Snorlax is, I don't recall ever using him in battle. I really like him though. He's silly, he's got some darn good competitive potential, and I'll never forget his appearances in Smash Bros. and the anime. I liked the callback to the original games with having a Snorlax block the Route 7/Rivière Walk bridge in Kalos. I caught it, and haven't done anything with it yet. I'll be definitely looking forward to encountering the ones(s?) in RBY when they come out on the 3DS in a couple weeks!

pkmin3033

250 - HO-OH

600px-250Ho-Oh.png

"It possesses seven-colored wings. It is said that those who see Ho-Oh are promised an eternal happiness."

It's Sacred Ash Wednesday, so our Pokemon of the Day is Ho-Oh! The mascot Legendary of Pokemon Gold and its remake, HeartGold, much like the phoenix it resembles, Ho-Oh has the ability to revive the dead, which it is said to have done with the three Pokemon which are now the Legendary Beasts. Whilst it has never appeared in the anime or the movies in any significant plot-enhancing role, Ho-Oh is noteworthy for being the first Generation II Pokemon to be revealed, having been seen by Ash at the end of the very first episode, and was the first Legendary Pokemon to feature in the anime.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Ho-Oh! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What did you think the Ho-Oh in the first episode of the anime was?
  • If Ho-Oh and Lugia were to get into a serious battle, who do you think would win?
  • Was Ho-Oh's design a factor in which Generation II/Generation IV remake you chose?

Back to randomness tomorrow! For the moment~

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
What did you think the Ho-Oh in the first episode of the anime was?
I just thought it was some Pokemon that was eventually going to be revealed. I didn't really pay much thought to whether or not it was from one Generation or another. I also didn't really think about the theory revolving around it and Ash never aging.

If Ho-Oh and Lugia were to get into a serious battle, who do you think would win?
A serious battle? I'm still going to be biased and say Lugia would win. I kind of like Lugia better, but I think Ho-Oh is definitely an amazing bird. Anyone would be foolish to pass one up.

Was Ho-Oh's design a factor in which Generation II/Generation IV remake you chose?
No. I always went for Silver/Soul Silver.

blue

gucci
Years
Snorlax is probably my least favourite Pokemon of all, something about how it looks just irritates me.

How long did it take you to figure out how to get past Snorlax in R/B/Y?

Initially it took me a while, I think I only figured out how to do it once one of my friends had done it.

Slaking. It has truant as an ability meaning basically it just slacks off for one turn.

Years
What did you think the Ho-Oh in the first episode of the anime was?
Honestly, I don't remember noticing Ho-Oh initially when I watched the first episode of the anime. I think it's cool it made such an early appearance, however.

If Ho-Oh and Lugia were to get into a serious battle, who do you think would win?
I don't know anything about battles... But Lugia needs to watch out, probably. Even though it has high defense, it has a lot of weaknesses, too. I imagine the battle could go either way depending on movesets/strategy.

Was Ho-Oh's design a factor in which Generation II/Generation IV remake you chose?
I didn't get to play Gold and Silver the first time around, but I did like Lugia as a child, probably due to the Pokemon 2000 movie. I ended up picking Soul Silver back in 2010. As I've grown older, I've come to appreciate Ho-Oh a lot more. It's the guardian of the Johto legendary trio, it has an awesome battle theme, and it looks majestic as heck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back