• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What did you think of Team Skull?

Years
  • Considering that I was really disappointed with Team Flare in X/Y, this new group feels like a HUGE improvement. At least to me.

How about you guys?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Probably one of the best 'teams' out there. It took an interesting spin on youth delinquents who didn't have any direction in life and told it well.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I was disappointed with how they handled their major characters. Gladion has no reason to be a part of Team Skull and never once does he do anything in their name. Plumeria and Guzma are just there to battle and aren't important to the plot at all. I think it's a shame because they have solid visual designs and their battle music is great, too. The Grunts were amusing but overall the team didn't do much. I kinda wish there were more trials like the first, where some Grunts interrupt and you have to deal with them. I think that would have not only helped liven up some of the more boring trials, but also would have given an opportunity for Team Skull (grunts, admins, and all) to be more involved, if even just a little.

Years
  • To me, they were funny and dorky. But more than that, I feel that they were... actually strangely relatable? I say this because they feel more like everyday people than any previous evil team. It's probably because it's about time we've had an evil team that's comparatively about as normal as you can get being a bunch of theives and punks with no real ambition but to cause **** for people, really.

It also helps that some of the grunts say really funny stuff sometimes!

Really though, this is one of the best, if not the best evil team out there. No fancy hideout, no "taking over the world" or whatever that we've been exposed to; they just made some old town their hideout that looks all beat up like you'd expect and our duty is that we just have to metaphorically beat up some punks causing trouble around the region and that was it. It actually felt more refreshing in that manner, to be honest. I was getting kind of tired with the generic evil team with an excessively radical leader that seemed to be going theme in recent generations.

No plans for mass genocide this time.

But I agree. Considering that I have friends who used to live in Detroit, Michigan (labeled as the most dangerous city in America), this reminded me of them in a strange way.. I thought that was pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2016
    I was disappointed with how they handled their major characters. Gladion has no reason to be a part of Team Skull and never once does he do anything in their name. Plumeria and Guzma are just there to battle and aren't important to the plot at all. I think it's a shame because they have solid visual designs and their battle music is great, too. The Grunts were amusing but overall the team didn't do much. I kinda wish there were more trials like the first, where some Grunts interrupt and you have to deal with them. I think that would have not only helped liven up some of the more boring trials, but also would have given an opportunity for Team Skull (grunts, admins, and all) to be more involved, if even just a little.

Agree with this. They just didn't resonate with me they didn't make any lasting impact. They were more annoyances than anything and I really wanted to like them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    It 's pretty good since they are criminal like gang. They do graffiti, pull signs and steal. Guzma is also a gangster which makes Team Skull better than others including Team Rockets.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I do agree with you in some aspects in regards to the major characters, however I also think you're missing the general point of why they're there. Gladion doesn't seem like the type to like Team Skull at all nor does he really feel like a part of the team, however it's explained in the dialogue that he's there because Guzma likes him and he only does odd jobs for Team Skull (which I assume is the usual: cause **** and steal from people)l. He's a punk who had no real actual direction so why not do a few favors for Team Skull on the side? That's the way that I look at it, personally.

As for them being plot important? That actually depends on what you define as plot important. This is where I disagree with you in that Team Skull was pretty prelevant throughout several areas of the game. I'm actually rather confused and surprised that you think they haven't interrupted the player enough, because they have quite a bit. Have you forgotten that they're in your hair in just about every island? Even in Akala Island, where you would think they would be largely absent (and they are, for the most part), you'd still have to fight off some grunts and Plumeria before you even fight Olivia, and Ula'Ula island is where the Team Skull interference gets jacked up to 11.

Plumeria even gets her own character development moment towards the end when Guzma is in Ultra Space, so, at least to me, it's rather simple to get attached to her character at that point.

But I'm curious in what way that you'd expect them to be more involved?

Spoiler:

I do agree that Guzma could use more appearances himself, though.

For Gladion, from the very beginning he talks about being nice and not letting Pokémon get hurt for no reason. To me, I never interpreted him as a "punk" or "misguided," just "desperate for money." But it's very clear, with hints that Gladion can't pay his bills any more, and especially by Po Town, that Team Skull isn't a job that pays. The fact that Gladion doesn't actually do anything in-game in relation to Team Skull is what I don't like. He could have been a cashier at the Thrifty Megamart and nothing about his character or even where and when he appears in-game would have changed. Just one line of dialog from a nameless grunt would have to be altered a bit and that's it.

The Grunts do interrupt the player a lot, yes, but what are they doing? Stealing Berries?

I think my biggest disappointment with Team Skull is that
    Spoiler:

I think it's a shame because I actually liked that they were more low-key than numerous previous teams. If the main conflict of the story was, "Team Skull, a group of ruffians, tries to cause havoc in cities and Island Trials," I think I would have liked that a lot more, and then the major members of Team Skull would have had a purpose.

Spoiler:

But if the main conflict of the story absolutely had to stay the same, at least giving Team Skull more of a focus, more of their own sub-plot, per se (actively trying to ruin Trials as opposed to it being a one-off thing, for example), I think would have strengthened them as a Team.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    You raise some interesting points, but you're overlooking some things, I feel: If Team Skull weren't in the game, and you would've replaced them with the Aether Foundation completely, then we would've had:

Spoiler:
    spoiler time
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I can understand Rivvon's points, but I mainly loved Team Skull for their funny dialogue and the hip-hop dance movements the grunts do when they show up. Plus, I have to admit I loved Guzma as well, especially since he was quite a challenge for my team with his priority-specialized Golisopod.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • They were just fun. You couldn't take them too seriously, their dialogue was goofy and their movements were laughable. I much preferred them to Team Flare as I felt like Skull had a lot more depth to them with their characters being more memorable and distinguishable. I'd still say Team Galactic are my favourites, but I'd put Team Skull in my top 3 for villainous teams for sure!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Every time they showed up I couldn't help but to laugh at them. And then when I'd get together and play with my friend we couldn't help but to laugh at them. We couldn't take them seriously because of how gangster they were trying to be. The way they walked and stood there trying to pull gang signs it was like OMG you're trying to hard to be thugs and its funny. We just couldn't get past that.

Years
  • For me it's the music. Team Skull has a certain frequency in my ears that just clicks with me and their characters definitely play a part. I hated Guzma at first but his theme really brought it up to life. I just wish we can fight him again. > - <

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I liked them. They seemed the most real to me out of all the teams. Their members were relatable. I think it's a more common thing to see delinquent youths rather than environmental extremists or religious fanatics in your normal day to day life. Where the Aether foundation was the real mastermind, team skull has the luxury of being a bit flawed without so much hate because they're not the spotlight of the story.

I never got why exactly Plumeria was a part of team skull. I suppose it can be assumed she also never completed her trials or whatever, but she seemed to be the most intelligent out of anyone on that team. I don't remember any backstory or anything. She's just there. I also didn't exactly get why Gladion joined team skull. I came to the conclusion when he left he had no where to go and where team skull was sponsored by his mother's company he was able to be supported easily under them??

but ignoring those two points. I liked their music, i liked the idea of them, the movements were slight overkill when they're doing it for an entire conversation, but besides that enjoyable team

Years
  • Loved them. They were really entertaining to encounter, which I never found with any other 'evil' organization. Their dialogue was hilarious, as was their hand gestures. I kind of felt like each grunt had their own personality in a way as well.

Plus, their music is pretty rad.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    They were dumber than a sack of hammers and I loved them for it. They were a good source of comedic relief.

One thing that I think would have improved them is if they weren't "real" badguys. If all that Pokemon theft was actually the Aether Foundation framing them, then we could have a moment where Team Skull actually recruits you to clear their name. It would have been far more delightful if we had a time where we teamed up with Guzma because he needed us, but he'd still pretend like he's top dog. And they could have had the Team Skull Grunt outfit as a reward.

Back