• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Worst memories from GSC

Years
my worst memory is realizing shiny pokemon are average.... shinies have a 1 in a lot chance of happening when an exact set of IV is given. so why not have it happen if all IV are maxed? it has the same chance of occuring, yet it would make catching one way more special. but no, apparently they are only useful for bragging rights...

GymShorts

Snipers Get More Head
Years
By far the hardest gym battle.Once Whitney's Miltank starts using rollout it's basically who is next. Also I hated Goldenrod city as I took ages to find the squirt bottle,the very first time I played.Still think Morty is the coolest Gym leader ever and facing Red was also a cool throwback.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Whitney's miltank of course. And the doors puzzle underneath Goldenrod City really annoyed me too. Worst of all, the solution is really simple lol...

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
never even considerd whitney to be tough at all , and never though people did until i first got unto pokemon forums during gen 3, but i remember kingdra giving me trouble and the pain of catching the legendary beasts

MaSterBarth

Pokemon MaSter
Years
Larvitar being found so late in the game just annoyed me to no end in those days. I wanted to use it so bad, but getting one took like forever.

Latios360

The calm and quiet one
Years
Morty's Gym took me a good month or two to beat, not only because of the gym floor, but because it was also long before I realized what I had to do: level up and find Pokemon that can beat ghost types. Again, Silver was my first Pokemon game overall, so I was still VERY new to the games then, and therefore, had no idea what I was doing at the time but fight other Pokemon.:3c

Another was defeating the red Gyarados because again, no concept on Pokemon, Silver being my 1st game, and therefore, had no idea of what shinies were, until I became familiar with the Internet.

Last edited:

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
Years
Whitney's Miltank... enough said. And then releasing my Croconaw by accident because of the bug catching contest telling the player you couldn't compete with more than one Pokemon, so I deposited all mine into the PC and somehow released Croconaw in the process.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Trying to find Heracross for hours headbutting trees on Crystal. Never found it, I concluded the my game was bugged or something

Years
MILTANK STILL HAUNTS MY NIGHTMARES. I swear, that thing is the reason why I'm constantly over-leveled no matter what game I play because it just scarred me for life.

Also that stupid ice cavern, and then Clair, although going through the dragon cave was really cool.

Years
In Pokemon gold I ran into Suicune totally by surprise, mannaged to trap her in a whirlpool on my first turn. Things were looking good... then she jerked the rug from under me and used roar. I never saw her in game in that game and had to leave an empty seat at the table with only 2 out of the 3 legdndary dogs.

Years
Saving the game after defeating Lugia in Gold. I had nobody to trade with, so I never got one in Gen 2...

Also losing my shiny Tangela and Krabby when my Crystal cart finally died. I thought that cart was immortal...

I HATED being forced to save when switching boxes in Bill's PC since I was always afraid of losing my boxed Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Using almost all my ultra balls on Snorlax, and still couldn't catch it. In the end I had to faint it.

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
Literally came to this thread to see how many people posted about Whitney... LOL

Aside from her though, I always thought the phone calls from the NPC's were annoying. On the one hand, some of them re-battled you which was nice if you were tired of grinding on wild Pokemon or if you needed some money for whatever reason... Also swarms and that one guy who would call you back to give you water stones. So I guess a somewhat necessary evil?

Hated getting interrupted mid-game to hear how many berries the dude's Qwilfish ate or how it took down a Rattata tho. ):

Years
"Oh hey, a shiny Nidoran! Well, this is the bug catching contest and the odds are only 1/512; I'll just catch one later!"

Got away safely!

…I have no idea why I thought the odds were 1/512. I think the guide I had might have mentioned that somewhere in reference to, like, shiny Pokémon obtained a certain way, but still…
Also, I'm fairly certain the game restricts encounters in the park to only bugs during the bug-catching contest, which makes this even worse.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I want to say Miltank, but honestly I always forget where I have to get the potion for the Ampharos and lose a lot of time in this area.
Also, I don't know if it's just me but catching Sudowoodo isn't easy. It always get out of that Pokeball D:

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 23, 2019
As Pokemon Silver was the first Pokemon game I ever played, I didn't know what was a Master Ball. When Elm gave it to me I thought I could get more of them later on so I used it on a Ditto and realised in some days that I'd never get a Master Ball anymore.

Another bad memory of this game was that I began to clone Pokemon and it was going well until I did something wrong and my Lugia and Typhlosion disappeared XD I will always regret that :(

Back