• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The U.S Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I think saying that the US has more mass shootings than any country, period, is an exaggeration. There's some very dangerous third world and developing countries. I think if you narrowed the list to solely first world nations you would have a stronger argument.

Years
  • Here is what is needed to repeal the second amendment.

A two-thirds (super majority) vote of members present—if a quorum exists—in both the Senate and the House of Representatives of the United States Congress; or

A majority vote of states at a national convention called by Congress called at the request of the legislatures of at least two-thirds (at present 34) of the states. (This method has never been used.)

Neither of which would ever be reached to repeal the second amendment, and even if it were, there is still a great likely hood it would spark a coup or a civil war, which the gun owners would more than likely win.

That's why it's important to raise the awareness of the issue still. Again, I'm aware that America might NOT be the kind of hellhole media would make it to be. Regardless, it's still puts me on the edge. Sorry USA but I'm certainly skipping you over Canada any day now.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • not to be rude or anything, but you do realize, it only feels like its a lot more shootings because of the news is now available to everyone and whatnot.
    And if you are blaming, any of you, blaming violent video games on some or all of these shootings, please give me evidence, because from everything i heard or read, there is no evidence that supports this theory, in fact all research is the opposite. Forgive me if none of you have, i was very lazy to read this whole thread, but a lot of people blame violent video games so i went ahead and threw that in there.
    I do agree, shootings is an issue, but im wondering what the government is doing to take care of this.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • One incredible irony I see in this issue is that Alan Dershowitz - a known ally of Donald Trump - has supported the abolishing of the 2nd Amendment in the past, claiming it has "no place in modern society". However, he also opposes using the Courts to do so, claiming it would make the Constitution as a whole more mutable. He has said, "Foolish liberals who are trying to read the Second Amendment out of the Constitution by claiming it's not an individual right or that it's too much of a public safety hazard don't see the danger in the big picture. They're courting disaster by encouraging others to use the same means to eliminate portions of the Constitution they don't like."

Of course, Dershowitz has also argued that torture of terrorism suspects should be permitted with a judge's approval and that cruelty to animals should be excused if done in a way that humanity benefits, so IMOHO, his stance on anything is questionable.

Last edited:
    Years
  • One incredible irony I see in this issue is that Alan Dershowitz - a known ally of Donald Trump - has supported the abolishing of the 2nd Amendment in the past, claiming it has "no place in modern society". However, he also opposes using the Courts to do so, claiming it would make the Constitution as a whole more mutable. He has said, "Foolish liberals who are trying to read the Second Amendment out of the Constitution by claiming it's not an individual right or that it's too much of a public safety hazard don't see the danger in the big picture. They're courting disaster by encouraging others to use the same means to eliminate portions of the Constitution they don't like."

Of course, Dershowitz has also argued that torture of terrorism suspects should be permitted with a judge's approval and that cruelty to animals should be excused if done in a way that humanity benefits, so IMOHO, his stance on anything is questionable.

He is right, using the court system to erase a constitutional amendment would be disastrous, and would put all of the bill of rights under the whim of the judiciary. Luckily the Supreme Court has so far done a lot to empower the second amendment and actually expand it's powers.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • I live in Japan, of course I am not a gun owner, nor does it matter if I am one or not.

Yes, that was kind of why I asked. I found your opinion odd for someone who lives in a place gun control advocates often reference to support their case.

Years
  • Yes, that was kind of why I asked. I found your opinion odd for someone who lives in a place gun control advocates often reference to support their case.

Just because I personally have decided to live in Japan that does not change my political views on issues. I do think more gun control is needed in the US, it is rather peaceful in that you do not have to worry about a car back firing being a gun shot. However I understand why the Second Amendment was created and the need for it.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • And, why is that?

ALT, my brother is a teacher at a school in the same general location of Sandy Hook. I remember only too well the panic my own family went through that day before the actual school was confirmed. And the rage we felt at Alex Jones and the others claiming it was a "false flag operation" with "crisis actors".

Even worse, the NRA has now put Oliver North, a man who by all rights should have been tried for treason and thrown in the slammer, in charge of themselves.

As much as I despise Dershowitz, he has a point when he says it has "no place in modern society".

Years
  • And, why is that?

ALT, my brother is a teacher at a school in the same general location of Sandy Hook. I remember only too well the panic my own family went through that day before the actual school was confirmed. And the rage we felt at Alex Jones and the others claiming it was a "false flag operation" with "crisis actors".

Even worse, the NRA has now put Oliver North, a man who by all rights should have been tried for treason and thrown in the slammer, in charge of themselves.

As much as I despise Dershowitz, he has a point when he says it has "no place in modern society".

As terrible as Sandy Hook was, the 2nd Amendment is above all else an emergency release, a stop gap to prevent the US Government from becoming as tyrannical as the government the founders fought against. If the people were ever to need to turn against the government they would have some sort of weaponry to fight against the military and take down the government.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • ALT, you really think a group of armed citizens could ever stand up to the National Guard?

I can relate numerous groups and individuals who have called the U.S. Government "tyrannical" and tried to stand up to them, and it never ends well for any of them.

I'll even name a few: Timothy McVeigh, the Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Panthers, Weather Underground, Dylan Roof, the Bundy clan, and most recently, this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coast-...-list-prominent-democrats-domestic-terrorist/

Each and every time, these revolutionaries were fed up with "American imperialism" or "America overstepping its bounds", and it always ended with them branded as terrorists, for good reason, ending up dead or in jail.

Years
  • ALT, you really think a group of armed citizens could ever stand up to the National Guard?

I can relate numerous groups and individuals who have called the U.S. Government "tyrannical" and tried to stand up to them, and it never ends well for any of them.

I'll even name a few: Timothy McVeigh, the Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Panthers, Weather Underground, Dylan Roof, the Bundy clan, and most recently, this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coast-...-list-prominent-democrats-domestic-terrorist/

Each and every time, these revolutionaries were fed up with "American imperialism" or "America overstepping its bounds", and it always ended with them branded as terrorists, for good reason, ending up dead or in jail.

They did and in such a situation you would need a large number of organized people rising up, something that you tend to see in actual dictatorships. Could they stand against the military? That all depends on the tactics used, many modern day militaries have trouble with insurgent and guerrilla warfare tactics. Iraq for example. So yes I do think a well armed coordinated citizenry that is attempting to overthrow the government would be able to take on the military and win, as envisioned by the founding fathers when they wrote the second amendment. Hell they won largely using similar tactics.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • ALT, I could state a lot of reasons why the Revolutionary War was a success (like say, we were fighting on our own "turf" while the enemy had an ocean between them and their own government, with limited communication, we had aid from the French, Britain was on the brink of economic collapse because they were also at war with Spain, and most of it all this was the result of a monarch believed by most modern historians to be insane). I could also remind you that in 1776, the most powerful firearm could fire once every five minutes at most, while modern ones can fire a hundred per minute. I could also remind you that Iraq was a costly disaster that left the country in horrible shape.

But your grasp of modern logistics is kinda... Well, bad.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    not to be rude or anything, but you do realize, it only feels like its a lot more shootings because of the news is now available to everyone and whatnot.

I do agree, shootings is an issue, but im wondering what the government is doing to take care of this.
    I think I posted a link earlier where the media has guidelines about how to play shooting stories to generate publicity. It's the ad revenue they get.

I think saying that the US has more mass shootings than any country, period, is an exaggeration. There's some very dangerous third world and developing countries. I think if you narrowed the list to solely first world nations you would have a stronger argument.
    I disagree on narrowing the list. It makes it easier to mislead the general public on gun deaths. If I removed five cities from the US gun death stats, the US would plummet down the gun death list.

That's why it's important to raise the awareness of the issue still. Again, I'm aware that America might NOT be the kind of hellhole media would make it to be. Regardless, it's still puts me on the edge. Sorry USA but I'm certainly skipping you over Canada any day now.
    You fear a minuscule risk. Lightning is a bigger risk in some areas.

Yes, that was kind of why I asked. I found your opinion odd for someone who lives in a place gun control advocates often reference to support their case.

Do you think someone outside of the US can't have an opinion on gun control?

ALT, you really think a group of armed citizens could ever stand up to the National Guard?
    http://monsterhunternation.com/2018...ete-says-congressman-who-wants-to-nuke-omaha/

Yes.
    You assume primarily that most of the military would support the killing of US citizens. Hate to break it to you, but the military is the biggest supporter of the 2nd and polls very high in supporting conservatives.

Individuals never win against groups. And it kind of looks like Bundy won since all charges got dismissed.

So the gov't fails to notice a racist with murderous intent in one of its groups and this is a reason to support more gun control?

ALT, I could state a lot of reasons why the Revolutionary War was a success (like say, we were fighting on our own "turf" while the enemy had an ocean between them and their own government, with limited communication, we had aid from the French, Britain was on the brink of economic collapse because they were also at war with Spain, and most of it all this was the result of a monarch believed by most modern historians to be insane). I could also remind you that in 1776, the most powerful firearm could fire once every five minutes at most, while modern ones can fire a hundred per minute. I could also remind you that Iraq was a costly disaster that left the country in horrible shape.
    Once every five minutes at most? Wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_infantry_weapons_in_the_American_Revolution

Up to 4 rounds per minute depending on which type.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    tbh, as much as we'd like to believe that one side in a hypothetical US government vs US citizens conflict will totally smoke the other, I get the feeling that chances are that it'd end up more like being a long ass stalemate where one side would eventually win, but with a lot of dead people on both sides

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    M, So you just intend to ignore everything else?

Man that's hilarious. The attempts to portray an article about Dems targeting gun owners as an attempt to get some crazy to target pelosi and gifford is just amusing.

tbh, as much as we'd like to believe that one side in a hypothetical US government vs US citizens conflict will totally smoke the other, I get the feeling that chances are that it'd end up more like being a long ass stalemate where one side would eventually win, but with a lot of dead people on both sides
    I don't think it'd be that long but it would probably result in a lot of deaths.

Last edited:

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • I think I posted a link earlier where the media has guidelines about how to play shooting stories to generate publicity. It's the ad revenue they get.
    how to play, you mean how they tell it, how many they can do, or how repeated they can be. Because im sure the guidelines doesnt cover each area of it. Think about it though, when we didnt have as much news as we do now, they shootings only actually was told about through family, friends, and people in that area, now the whole world can know of it. Since we got news, government and what not have been getting angry and annoyed and trying to fix it since they see more of it and can see it everywhere. when in fact, its probably been about the same number of shootings per year or so. Its honestly interesting to think about how with the increase of availability of news the more gun control and shoots are taking place. Now dont quote me on it of its probably been the same amount every year (about for a reason, gives it some range since i know it probably did change) but just think about that and read some reports of timelines of shootings. Again, dont quote me on this.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Okay, LDS, I'll address all your concerns in order:

I think I posted a link earlier where the media has guidelines about how to play shooting stories to generate publicity. It's the ad revenue they get.

Yes, the media does that with everything. It's part of why they're the media.

I disagree on narrowing the list. It makes it easier to mislead the general public on gun deaths. If I removed five cities from the US gun death stats, the US would plummet down the gun death list.

I hear that a lot. The point is moot, because you are not allowed to remove any U.S. cities when calculating gun deaths in the U.S.

You fear a minuscule risk. Lightning is a bigger risk in some areas.

Really? Death by firearms is the 10th leading cause of death in this country, meaning the odds against it happening is 1 in 300. The odds
    of being struck by lightning is roughly 1 in 249,550.

You assume primarily that most of the military would support the killing of US citizens.

I do not. Don't put words in my mouth. BUT if the government did indeed become the tyrannical force that would make such a militia necessary, the President would indeed order such an act.

Oh, and you actually linked to a science fiction author to prove your point?

Individuals never win against groups. And it kind of looks like Bundy won since all charges got dismissed.

First of all, your claim only helps my case. Nobody ever seems able to put together a large enough group.

Aside from the 12 who plead guilty. Oh, and there was LaVoy Finicum's death. Kind of throws a wrench into the claim that the government won't fire upon civilians.

What about the others I mentioned?

So the gov't fails to notice a racist with murderous intent in one of its groups and this is a reason to support more gun control?

Uhm, yes.

Once every five minutes at most? Wrong.

Fine. I will concede that some weapons back then could fire 4 times a minute. However, a modern assault rifle still fires 45 times faster than that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back