• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Predict Smash 5's roster

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When Smash Bros. 5 for Switch becomes a thing, we can expect to see some more newcomers. Make some predictions to who'll be in the roster. Hell, even make predictions like Link getting his BotW outfit and finally ditching the TP clothes.

I predict Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be in alongside Shulk. I'll also predict a starter Pokémon or Ultra Beast from Sun and Ultra Sun.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Predictions for next Smash

Pokemon

Pikachu to get a costume where he is wearing Sun's default hat.
    Mewtwo and Lucario to get alternate costumes showing their shiny colourations.
    Charizard, Jigglypuff and Greninja to also return.
    Decidueye to be added to the roster meaning we have all three starter types represented.
    An Alola stage to added featuring Tapu Koko.

Mario series

Peach to get a Rosalina alternate colour scheme. (I'll still use the Fire Peach outfit though)
    Waluigi to be added. Dr Mario misses out.
    All other Mario series characters return from the last game.

Other Series

Samus gets buffed and there will be a new Metroid stage. Zero Suit Samus returns too.
    Dark Pit is cut but remains an alternate colouration for Pit.
    A Bravely Series character debuts most likely Tiz
    Wii Fit Trainer is cut.
    Bayonetta is in the game, Cloud is not.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm predicting 64 characters in total for 5mash's roster as a way to reference the N64, which the series started at. For newcomers,
    here are my top 10 predictions on who will make it in.

Wii Fit Trainer is cut.

Not gonna happen, it's usually the clone characters and third-party guests (maybe even DLC characters this time) who get the chopping block. Wii Fit Trainer is too unique to get cut as we've learned from the people who thought Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. would be cut for Sm4sh.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Who knows what Nintendo comes up for the roster. The Inkling Boy/Girl is pretty much guaranteed and probably some characters from the new FE game that's to be released next year.

I'd love to see a Paper Mario character added. Maybe something from Shin Megami Tensei too?

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Assuming everyone from Smash 4 is returning-which is assuming a lot, I know, but I need to start somewhere-here are some additions I would like to see, separated by series.

Super Mario Bros & spin-offs

I'd like to see Dixie Kong, especially after she made an appearance in the last Donkey Kong Country game. In my opinion her chances will increase further if another such game is announced close to Smash 5's release.

Another popular choice would be Waluigi, who I am surprised hasn't made the cut already. He's only in sports games if I recall correctly, but that shouldn't be a problem as a lot of those games-especially Mario Kart-are hugely popular.

And finally, there's Toad. I think he's less likely due to not really being known for fighting, and if they were going to include him they probably would have done it already. Furthermore his most recent portrayal, Captain Toad, is unable to jump, and I don't see how that would work in a Smash Bros. setting. They could of course change his moveset up in order for it to make sense, which Sakurai is known for doing. So we'll see.

Legend of Zelda

The character I most want to see, as well as the character I voted for in the Smash Poll a few years back, is Vaati. We don't have any handheld-exclusive characters yet, and he would be an excellent villain to add to the roster. In the Smash Poll I suggested that he could be able to turn people into stone, which would have an effect similar to the Pitfall. I know this one is unlikely, especially since he hasn't made an appearance in a game for years, but I can dream. xD

The more likely addition should be Impa, who like Waluigi I am surprised hasn't already been included. The only thing against her is that she didn't have much of a fighting role in Breath of Wild, leading me to speculate that if she's included her design will be based off her Hyrule Warriors appearance.

Metroid

As I've said elsewhere, they'll either add Ridley, which is unlikely at this point, or they won't add anyone at all. Metroid isn't really known for its supporting cast, so I don't expect anyone else to be included.

Fire Emblem

If Fire Emblem Warriors is any indication, they currently only really care about Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. Thus my desire to see Lyn and/or Micaiah is likely not going to happen.

When considering just the aforementioned games, my top pick would be Caeda. But that's definitely not going to happen, so I'm thinking Tiki might have a chance. We already have a dragon in Corrin though, so her chances aren't as high as Ryoma from Fates, who unlike everyone else I mentioned, I would be surprised if he didn't get included.

Star Fox

First of all, bring Wolf back. He was the only 1st party veteran(bar Pichu) who didn't return in any capacity last time around. Even Roy came back. Even Dr. Mario came back. xD

I'd also like to see Krystal, but I highly doubt it at the point in time, especially considering Star Fox's popularity is in decline, not to mention the fact that she appears to have been erased from the series' current continuity.

Kirby

Similar to Metroid, I think we'll either be seeing a Waddle Dee or nothing, and a Waddle Dee doesn't seem too likely. It did get an amiibo though, so I suppose it's possible.

Pokémon

Very hard to say, given all the options. Probably Decidueye based off his appearance in Pokkén Tournament, but I can see one of the Ultra Beasts as well.

Animal Crossing

I used to think Tom Nook would be the most likely newcomer, but now I think it'll be Isabelle due to her appearance in Mario Kart 8. But like the Waddle Dee, I think she's unlikely.

Xenoblade

Probably Cross or Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, and almost definitely Rex or Pyra from the upcoming(and marketable) Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Retro Games

I don't know much about these older games, but I do know that I want to see the Ice Climbers return. I mentioned Wolf as being the only one who didn't return in "any capacity" because Nana and Popo were programmed to be in the last game, but were scrapped due to problems on the 3DS version. That will no longer be an issue this time around, so I expect they'll be coming back.

New Series

The Inklings. Need I say more? ^_^

Third Party

Snake would be nice, but don't hold your breath with Konami. Tails and/or Knuckles would likewise be nice, but I don't expect we'll get multiple characters from a single 3rd Party series. Lloyd Irving seems to be a fan favourite from the Tales series, and I wouldn't mind seeing him included either. A Rabbid and/or Rayman also seem very likely thanks to Nintendo's new relationship with Ubisoft. And I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting someone, so I may come back later to edit him or her in. xD

However my #1 choice for a Third Party character is a former Second Party character, Banjo-Kazooie. Microsoft has even expressed interest in giving Nintendo the rights, though I still find it very unlikely unfortunately. What's more likely is Yooka-Laylee, who I would also be fine with.

Wow...I didn't think I would end up writing this much. {XD}

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd be surprised if Ice Climbers don't come back, since the Switch can support them now.

I'm still waiting for Ridley... Sylux is a more realistic choice considering that he'll supposedly have a big role in Metroid Prime 4.

Isabelle would be great too. She'll get to show her evil side since she's the real mayor and mastermind behind New Leaf. ;)

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Mipha, Daruk, Revali, and Urbosa as new smash fighters. They have pretty diverse fighting styles, too.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • For those of you who are expecting Decidueye, I'll quote what I've written from my Disquis article that I've linked on my first post:

Since Melee, Smash always introduces a new Pokémon rep from the most recent gen at the time (Melee - Gen II, Brawl - Gen IV, Sm4sh - Gen VI). There is also a pattern that the most recent gens at their time are also even-numbered gens, which is why I'm gambling for a Gen VIII Pokémon rep over a Gen VII rep like Decidueye or Lycanroc. This brings us to my question: Which of the current six Pokémon will be cut to make room for the new rep? All six reps (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja) are still relevant in both the games and anime to get cut (except for Jigglypuff who's only on the roster due to grandfather clause). Having six Pokémon reps also fits the party theme from their source material, and having seven reps would break that theming.

We'll be getting 5mash around the time Gen VIII is released on 2019 (following the 3-4 life cycle for Pokémon gens).

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Mipha, Daruk, Revali, and Urbosa as new smash fighters. They have pretty diverse fighting styles, too.

It's because like Midna, Ghirahim, and Zant, they're all one-shot characters who will not appear in anymore mainline games after BotW. It's why Ganondorf was a last-minute addition in Melee because Sakurai wasn't sure if he'll return in another Zelda game since his Ganon form is the only recurring villain back then.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • At least a few Gen 7 Pokémon. I'm thinking Decidueye and Pheremosa would make good Smash characters. As for non-Pokémon stuff, Inklings seem really likely. And maybe Shovel Knight? Not sure how likely that'd be, but it'd be really cool to see a character from an indie game show up in Smash.

Years
  • Pokemon

I would like to see Pokemon Trainer come back. I know that the fatigue mechanic didn't really made Pokemon Trainer competitively useful but I really like how unique they were(they can always re balance them anyways). It would be nice to see the Bulbasaur and Squirtle line given more attention. If they did include Pokemon Trainer again, I would like to see Leaf/Green/Blue(Jpn) as an alternate character.

I do agree with the previous comments that Decidueye would be good representation for gen 7. It would be kind of sad to see the other starters left out but I think Decidueye is one of the most popular fully evolved gen 7 Pokemon.

Other Nintendo Series

Geno would be a good option for the Mario series. For Earthbound, I think Kumatora would be a good fit but her moveset is quite similar to Ness and Lucas'. Teddy, Poo, Flint or Duster would be a good option if they want more melee based fighters from the Earthbound series.

Third Party

I think Dragon Quest characters can be a good fit for smash because a lot of their games are on Nintendo consoles and the series is popular in Japan. Although the series not nearly as popular outside of Japan, I think Smash can help generate some interest(like what happened with Fire Emblem). I think Loto/Erdrick and Princess Alena would be good candidates. They might include some DQ XI characters(Camus and Martina come to mind) especially if the 3DS version comes out outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Ninjorf

Friendo
    Years
  • When is Smash going to have an indie character? Shovel Knight would be a fantastic candidate, but if they want to pick up a character that has been on so many Nin consoles, Quote from Cavestory. Could even do the male/female thing by doing Quote and Curly.

Back