• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scenario XI - Heir, Apparently

Years
  • What would you do?
    A fun little discussion here in Pokémon General where you discuss what you would do in certain scenarios!

What is this about?
    These are simply about hypothetical scenarios that would occur to you if you were in the Pokemon World (or not!). This is pretty much the entire premise of WWYD (What Would You Do); that is, what would you do in a given scenario? Remember that there are no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts!
    Can I suggest some scenarios, too?
    Of course you can! In fact, we highly encourage you to! Feel free to PM your ideas to colours or Brendino!
    What would you do in this scenario?
    A fairly skilled Pokemon trainer, you've recently come home for some rest and relaxation after a long journey around the region. You just finished participating in the regional championship, and while you were a bit disappointed in the result, you still finished in the top 10, which is your best result yet! You know that you can do better next year though, and plan to start training as soon as you can.

After visiting your friends and family, you decide to make a stop at your local Pokemon gym, where you spent many hours learning battle techniques from your mentor, the Gym Leader. After a big welcome and a warm congratuations, the mood suddenly becomes a bit more serious, when they let you in on some big news. Having been the leader for many years, they've decided to retire, and they want to leave the Gym in the hands of the best trainer they know- you!

It's a huge honor to have the position gifted to you, and something that you've always dreamed of since you caught your first Pokemon. But becoming the Gym Leader means putting a halt to your journey to look after the Gym, even though you feel your best years are ahead of you. But if you pass on the position now, it might not be available to you when you're finally ready to take over. So, with a big decision at hand...

What would you do?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Decline the position and continue training for the championship. It would feel like a waste to let go of that journey to settle down as a Gym Leader, with little chance of ever improving my skills as a trainer (except by those who can defeat me). I'd need to prove myself to myself first.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    hmm take the gym leader position for a certain duration of time. i think there are valuable things i would learn from being a leader. having people coming to challenge me regularly to continue their journey would put me in the other sides shoes.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I'd take it because I'd enjoy being a gym leader. I could train my skills and eventually find a successor and move on to the championship.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Normally I'd just go why the fuck would anyone want me of all people to take over their Gym Leader position, I suck....but this scenario implies that this is some sort of crazy parallel universe where I somehow actually have skills at something, so:

Kind of depends on how long I've been journeying prior to this moment and how close exactly I was to claiming the championship. If I'd been traveling around for many a year and/or was more at the bottom part of top 10 after several attempts, I think I'd be more inclined to finally settle down and take the position--it was a good ride and the position of Gym Leader is still quite an honor and, small children steamrolling gyms in the games aside, still a station that implies that you're strong.

If I hadn't been traveling around for super long, and/or was pretty close to getting 1st instead, like say 2nd-4th, I might decline the offer. Still much of the world to see, still much to do, and winning the championship seems much more feasible. Can't really do all that when you're a Gym Leader.

Last edited:

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
    Years
  • I would do it for my passion, that's being a Gym Leader.
    Then, i would close the Gym for awhile and going to Championships.
    If i can hit the top 3, my gym programme is stopped.
    Buf i can't do that, i would resort to be a leader.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since I've already traveled and trained quite a bit, I'd probably take the position and make the most of it :D It would be a different sort of adventure, with loads of... Responsibilities... oh my, maybe not.

pkmin3033

Well, from one dream to the next. I'd take the Gym Leader job and turn it into a replica of Castlevania...complete with death traps, relics required to open doors, and hosts of willing servants to do my bidding. I'd just sit around on my throne all day drinking expensive wine and throwing the glass on the floor when I'm finished.

To save on expenses, I'd charge people to enter to recoup the cost such an undertaking would require.

A fixed place of living and regular income is much more valuable than travel experience, and it's always best to quit whilst you're ahead.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Accept, of course. I don't see why I can't accept and still aim for next year. Once the regional championship rolls around again, I can just get permission to close the Gym for a while, then reopen after it finishes. In the meantime, Gym trainers and challengers can either train amongst themselves, or watch my battles.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I would accept. Being a gym leader doesnt mean that my pokemon wont become stronger in preparation to challenge the league sometime in the future. It would also give me the experience of a leader to allow me to potentially predict my opponents in the regional championships. And who says I cant leave the gym for a week or so to participate in the championships?

Years
  • I would reject it. My ambitions are my purpose to live, my dream are my everything. I have never wished to be a gvm leader. So, why to accept it? But i was given a responsibility to be a gvm leader and one should not deny his responsibility. In this case i will take core of both responsibility and my dream. Anyway i will do it even i it will caused me my expensive time.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I would probably take the position of being a gym leader. I'm not really that ambitious of a competitive battler but having the knowledge and experience that I have to make it into the top 10 means I've probably gained a reputation as a great battler which would probably attract a lot of people who are interested in battling me which might also grow the reputation of both the gym I work in as well as the town that my gym is located in.
    Owning a gym itself would be really cool for multiple reasons.

First off, it's a building that I'm allowed to use at my disposal and change its design and purpose to fit whatever interests I have so long as it provides some form of challenge to trainers while they battle their way through the building. I would probably use the building to further my interests in breeding and researching pokemon when I'm not busy using it to train other pokemon trainers.

Plus owning and leading a gym is probably an incredibly profitable business. If I stuck to being a competitive battler trying to aim for the top, It would probably cost me a lot of money, spending money on items as well as paying out prize money. However owning a gym where lots of newbie trainers come to practice and frequently lose would net me a pretty impressive profit which would probably help me further my goals in keeping the gym renovated, paying for my personal interests alongside of managing the gym, and would also probably allow me to donate a fair share of money to keeping the town in good shape as well.

The connections you get as a gym leader seem extremely beneficial as well. I always got the impression that the gym leaders all know each other very well as well as they are pretty well connected with the pokemon league and tend to know the champion pretty well. These seem like pretty useful connections to have as well as it seems like they're all part of a very supportive community that are very good at helping one another out when another is in need. They also seem like they reach out to one another to provide each other good opportunities such as recommending one another to move out from being a gym leader and instead becoming part of the actual league, or even sometimes calling out to one another to help solve major problems going on in their region. It just seems like a great supportive community to be a part of.

Years
    • Seen today
    I would do the same thing Blue does. Become gym leader and never be at the gym

astraling

just a sad little dingus in a chip bag
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2018
    I would continue training for the championship, but accept the title of Gym Leader. When the time comes to battle for the championship, the gym will be closed.

As Gym Leaders don't often use their actual (likely somewhat varied and definitely much more powerful) teams against challengers, my championship team could train against powerful wilds or spar with each other while I ran the gym. The gym itself would be closed on weekends, when I would join and supervise them.

Back