• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Disney buys 21st Century Fox

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    One year after the Walt Disney Co. announced the $71.3 billion merger, it's official. The deal, which closed Wednesday at 12:02 a.m. Eastern time, reshapes the media landscape and makes Disney an even greater entertainment behemoth. In bolstering its trove of characters and stories, the acquisition also puts Disney in a stronger position to take on Netflix and other streaming companies when it launches its own service, Disney+, later this year.

Disney, which already owns the Pixar, Marvel and the Star Wars brands, will now also get Deadpool and the Fox-owned Marvel characters such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four, allowing for the full Marvel family to be united. Disney also now owns former Fox television networks such as FX Networks and National Geographic Partners. Disney will also get Fox's 30 percent ownership of Hulu, giving Disney a controlling share of 60 percent.
    https://www.npr.org/2019/03/20/705009029/disney-officially-owns-21st-century-fox

Disney rn probably be like:

Wukomy8.jpg

as it inches ever closer to becoming an entertainment monoply lol

So, thoughts?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I wonder if Disney will water down Deadpool or continue to allow it to go over the edge with a r rating.

Iger has already said that R rated Deadpool movies will continue to be made.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Just waiting for the Democrat hypocrites in Congress to demand the breakup of Disney like they are with Facebook, Google and Amazon. *Rolls eyes*

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Just waiting for the Democrat hypocrites in Congress to demand the breakup of Disney like they are with Facebook, Google and Amazon. *Rolls eyes*

That's literally only one senator, Elizabeth Warren.

Years
    • Age 28
    • he/him
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    It just makes me cackle now that American Horror Story is now Disney property. LMAOOO

Years
  • Just waiting for the Democrat hypocrites in Congress to demand the breakup of Disney like they are with Facebook, Google and Amazon. *Rolls eyes*

I mean... Not really sure where you get off by saying that. This kind of breakup wouldn't be bad at all.

It just makes me cackle now that American Horror Story is now Disney property. LMAOOO

1aKgdok.jpg

saw this online

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • well ima be honest, what else is new than disney buying another company? they always are. But they need to stop because they are at this point dominating the entertainment industry and if they keep going at this rate, everything we watch is gonna have a mickey mouse stamp on it, and i honestly dont wanna see that, no matter how good the companies are that they buy.

Years
  • It feels like this is the start of a global takeover, or at the very least a very sinister movie. I'm not too bothered by either, but I do like to hear about independence when it comes to film companies and the like. Makes me feel less nervous about cross-contamination.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • I almost expect Disney to start buying people next once they run out of companies to acquire. This monopoly that they have on pretty much every major media franchise is scary.

i mean, in other franchises its going on too, like amazon, google, and even facebook. But yes, it is scary, though the companies disney owns still make pretty good stuff so im not complaining too much here.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Framing it as a monopoly does a disservice to the issue, as every fan with Mickey's hand up their personal club house will say that they don't have a monopoly and that is true. Don't get their unprecedented level of market share and corrosive influence on media confused with the term monopoly, because then that just gives them a reason to be like 'no, we just own a lot of stuff, not 51% and over of the stuff :). They're an objectively corrupt company, so they need to be confronted with the correct terminology if any sort of headway is going to be made.

Crazy to think how many people consider this move good and not an absurdly damning example of how fucked the contemporary media landscape is, simply because Disney Puts a Smile On The Faces of Children :)

Back