• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2018
    I'm 99% sure it'll work just fine, though I've never thought about the save compatibility patch until now. Please make a backup of your vanilla FR save. I'll take a look at the compatibility patch tomorrow.

edit: I just checked the offsets of the patch, and I'm sorry to say that my Unofficial and the save compatibility patch are not compatible with each other. You're better off using either my 'official' release or RichterSnipes'.

A shame! I'll probably import into the Official version. Thank you for checking and for your work!

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2018
    I'm 99% sure it'll work just fine, though I've never thought about the save compatibility patch until now. Please make a backup of your vanilla FR save. I'll take a look at the compatibility patch tomorrow.

edit: I just checked the offsets of the patch, and I'm sorry to say that my Unofficial and the save compatibility patch are not compatible with each other. You're better off using either my 'official' release or RichterSnipes'.

Hi! I just used a dynamic offset to load the Pokecenter attendant script that supposedly fixes your save in the compatibility patch. It clears flag 22F, if 22E it then fixes the save by removing some item (removeitem 0x35 0x1, DEC_ENOTEMAT? not sure what that is), adding some fossil flags if necessary, and adding the GBSounds/Running Shoes if necessary (I don't know if this is all that's needed to actually fix a save). I compiled that into an Unofficial Throwback ROM and loaded my vanilla FR save. I was able to talk to the attendant and get the save 'fixed', and I checked that the GB Sounds item works as expected. Then I activated Mystery Events and talked to the new NPC in the pokecenter and correctly received the event items. I then walked around a bit and fought a nearby trainer. All of this worked normally, though it was quite a short test.

When you were checking the offsets, did you find any other places other than the attendant script that were in conflict? I'm not sure that's all there was to the patch. My 'imported' save seems to work fine but it might blow up later. Please bear in mind 5 days ago I didn't know ROM Hacks were a thing, I've been trying to gather information to experiment a bit since your answer but I might be spewing bs in my ignorance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    Hi! I just used a dynamic offset to load the Pokecenter attendant script that supposedly fixes your save in the compatibility patch. It clears flag 22F, if 22E it then fixes the save by removing some item (removeitem 0x35 0x1, DEC_ENOTEMAT? not sure what that is), adding some fossil flags if necessary, and adding the GBSounds/Running Shoes if necessary (I don't know if this is all that's needed to actually fix a save). I compiled that into an Unofficial Throwback ROM and loaded my vanilla FR save. I was able to talk to the attendant and get the save 'fixed', and I checked that the GB Sounds item works as expected. Then I activated Mystery Events and talked to the new NPC in the pokecenter and correctly received the event items. I then walked around a bit and fought a nearby trainer. All of this worked normally, though it was quite a short test.

When you were checking the offsets, did you find any other places other than the attendant script that were in conflict? I'm not sure that's all there was to the patch. My 'imported' save seems to work fine but it might blow up later. Please bear in mind 5 days ago I didn't know ROM Hacks where a thing, I've been trying to gather information to experiment a bit since your answer but I might be spewing bs in my ignorance.

Item 0x35 is the Old Sea Map that was available in legacy and older versions of RichterSnipes' Throwback releases. It's a good thing you talked to the event NPC at the PokeCenter after talking to the attendant, as I have brought back the Old Sea Map in my Unofficial version.

There were a lot of byte changes made after applying the save compatibility patch compared to the unmodified ROM. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what else the patch does, as I never thought to ask about it when I took over for future updates. The way I checked for changes was by comparing the patched ROM and the unmodified ROM in HxD (hex editor). My unofficial version uses the offset starting at 0x750000, and the save compatibility patch also uses 0x750000.

edit: If you were to apply the save patch to the Unofficial version, you would notice a bug where interacting with certain NPC Pokemon (such as Speary) would not work correctly.

edit2: nevermind about the custom patch, it would take an awful long time... sorry

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Really really strange bug: using Unofficial Throwback and my base addendum, choosing specifically Bulbasaur locks the game up right after the nickname prompt.

The base addendum uses no freespace (only one optional patch in that package does) nor does it do anything to the starter picking script, so it shouldn't be an overwriting issue.

EDIT: Just checked, this is only with unofficial. The new bugfixed Throwback and Richter's version does not have this bug, just unofficial. I'd go as far as to say this may possibly be the symptom of another issue, but I have no idea what.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2018
    Item 0x35 is the Old Sea Map that was available in legacy and older versions of RichterSnipes' Throwback releases. It's a good thing you talked to the event NPC at the PokeCenter after talking to the attendant, as I have brought back the Old Sea Map in my Unofficial version.

There were a lot of byte changes made after applying the save compatibility patch compared to the unmodified ROM. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what else the patch does, as I never thought to ask about it when I took over for future updates. The way I checked for changes was by comparing the patched ROM and the unmodified ROM in HxD (hex editor). My unofficial version uses the offset starting at 0x750000, and the save compatibility patch also uses 0x750000.

edit: If you were to apply the save patch to the Unofficial version, you would notice a bug where interacting with certain NPC Pokemon (such as Speary) would not work correctly.

edit2: nevermind about the custom patch, it would take an awful long time... sorry

Thank you! I ended up playing your official version with the compatibility patch and there's been no issue at all! Do you think loading this now imported save from an unofficial rom would work correctly?

Zarude

Self-Certified Comma Abuser
    Years
  • How exactly do you install this? Yes, I've used an IPS patcher and patched it to a unedited FireRed rom, but I get an error upon loading the rom. I even tried one of the individual patches, and when going past the title screen the screen was just black.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    How exactly do you install this? Yes, I've used an IPS patcher and patched it to a unedited FireRed rom, but I get an error upon loading the rom. I even tried one of the individual patches, and when going past the title screen the screen was just black.
    Are you using the correct FireRed version?

Zarude

Self-Certified Comma Abuser
    Years
  • The rom i'm using is the one from a reddit page with a bunch of Pokemon roms on it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2022
    The rom i'm using is the one from a reddit page with a bunch of Pokemon roms on it.
    Here's the link (if anyone's wondering)

I'm not a mod but I recommend you remove that reddit link before the mods do it.

Posting a roms link is a big no-no in Pokecommunity.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2018
    You must have RTC (real-time clock) on. 12:00 PM - 11:59 PM for Espeon and 12:00 AM - 11:59 AM for Umbreon.

How do you enable RTC using OpenEmu as my emulator? Is this a setting IN the game?

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2018
    I just got out of Mt. Moon, and have not seen a gen 2 pokemon yet. Is this normal?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    I am trying to find MoonStones but Clefairy seem to only have Leppa Berries is this by design? Is there another way to find MoonStones that are repeatable? Leppa Berries didn't exist in red/blue/yellow and FireRed Clefairy are not supposed to be holding anything but MoonStones (5%)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am trying to find MoonStones but Clefairy seem to only have Leppa Berries is this by design? Is there another way to find MoonStones that are repeatable? Leppa Berries didn't exist in red/blue/yellow and FireRed Clefairy are not supposed to be holding anything but MoonStones (5%)

MoonStones are still 5%. Leppa berries 50%

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    MoonStones are still 5%. Leppa berries 50%

Looks like my 10 heads in a row still hasn't hit yet

Update:
    It took like three more Clefairy (but like 30 other encounters) to get it (see screenshot)!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181129-002357.png
      Screenshot_20181129-002357.png
      134.4 KB · Views: 11
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    So while looking for a Tauros in Area 3 of the Kanto Safari Zone I have encountered three Pinsir in as many minutes and no Tauros in ten. Have the encounter tables been severely altered from both FireRed/LeafGreen and Red/Blue? Because neither table has Pinsir appearing (at all) more often than Tauros in Area 3. Is there access to a table to know which Pokemon is in which area?

Years
  • So while looking for a Tauros in Area 3 of the Kanto Safari Zone I have encountered three Pinsir in as many minutes and no Tauros in ten. Have the encounter tables been severely altered from both FireRed/LeafGreen and Red/Blue? Because neither table has Pinsir appearing (at all) more often than Tauros in Area 3. Is there access to a table to know which Pokemon is in which area?

Are you sure you were in area 3? I remember that I found those mons in the right places.
    See:
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:FireRed_and_LeafGreen_walkthrough/Section_9

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2018
    I just got out of Mt. Moon, and have not seen a gen 2 pokemon yet. Is this normal?

Back