• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
I just like to take a moment of appreciation for this hack. To me this is by far the best version FireRed can get without diverging from it's original intent. It's all about the small tweaks like cutting trees for good, nature stat change display, easy to re-use repels, running indoors and running shoes from the get go. These and other changes help so much with game flow.
Congratulations to this room hacker, it's a masterpiece!

It's very hard to think of a way to improve this. The only thing I can come up with is:
- Fossils are resurrected in a much higher level. Kind of rough to have Level 5 Aerodactyl in Late Game. So you stop all the game flow to grind them to your party level. (I think level 30-35 would be far more acceptable).
- Staryu seems to be placed only on Cinnabar Island, so only late game. I would place it on either Pallet Town, Viridian City and/or Route 22 (much like Leaf Green). When it would be far more acceptable to catch it, teach it Surf and not have that much grind to reach your party's level.

I'll take a look at Staryu's locations. I won't change the fossils.

Hey tkim, can you please tell me how to evolve my eevee into an espeon?

If you have RTC enabled on your emulator/flash card, it'll behave just like it does in R/S/E. To get Espeon, level Eevee with +220 happiness from 12:00 p.m. - 11:59 p.m.

n0n

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Nice hack, however I was experiencing some light but annoying sound crackling with mGBA 0.6.2 and with some testing with the source files I found that Game Engine Optimization.ips was the culprit.

Does anybody else have this issue ? I didn't bother testing with other emulator since most of them have plenty of issue and mGBA is supposed to be the most accurate anyway.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
It's been awhile, hasn't it?

You all doing well? I hope so. I haven't worked on anything Pok?mon related since I was last here, so I don't have any updates to give on this. My work on other retro things has naturally brought me back here, if for nothing else but to pop in. Who knows, though. I skimmed through the posts here since I left, and they have given me some thoughts. Thoughts on people's reaction to my overhaul as well as tkim's branch of the hack. Thoughts on how my perception of what the hack should be might look like now that I'm a 1/2 year wiser. Plus there's apparently a new in-game clock hack? Interesting. Really makes you think about things like this...

Cutest_pikachu_gif_ever.0.gif

Have a good week, everyone!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
Hi, im pretty new romhacks and have been playing tkim's version, so i caught raikou.. Where do i find the other legendaries? i read the changelog and it says "Handling of the other two legendary beasts is now controlled by a map script in Pallet Town instead of the Hall of Fame."

mm What does that mean?xd , i keep trying to find suicune but i cant, so maybe i have to beat the E4 again?, or talk to someone? :C?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Anarchyincr the hall a fame means that you have to beat the elite four and champion to get the other two legendaries. But after defeating the elite four and champion you'll have to go to around kanto and find them like you found raikou.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
but in the changelog it says that you dont have to beat the e4 again, or thats what i understand

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Nice hack, however I was experiencing some light but annoying sound crackling with mGBA 0.6.2 and with some testing with the source files I found that Game Engine Optimization.ips was the culprit.

Does anybody else have this issue ? I didn't bother testing with other emulator since most of them have plenty of issue and mGBA is supposed to be the most accurate anyway.
You're probably right on the money.

I haven't tested Throwback on a real GBA, but it stands to reason that a hack that is optimized in the engine for lower end emulators would break in some way when introduced to a more accurate one. Stuff like this would happen a lot around ZSNES or Nesticle, for example. mGBA is better than the rest in accuracy and most likely speed now (I tend to just straight suggest it over VBA or VBA-M), and it probably wouldn't hurt to make an anti-patch for this part or else the hack is dated forever. I kinda wonder what other hacks here are in the same boat now?

If a real GBA (a 3DS doesn't count) doesn't exhibit this sound popping though, I'd say this is an obscure emulation issue that should be taken to mGBA's github.

Last edited:
Years
hi yes hello this is the best fire red QoL hack ive played love you so much xoxo
the gb sounds make me bust a fat nut everytime i hear them

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Plus there's apparently a new in-game clock hack? Interesting. Really makes you think about things like this...
It isn't a new clock hack, but a fix to the implemented RTC. The evolutions occured randomly instead of at the right times. I fixed it to simply follow R/S/E's times for evolutions.

I'll remove the optimization in an update for both official and unofficial versions.

Hi, im pretty new romhacks and have been playing tkim's version, so i caught raikou.. Where do i find the other legendaries? i read the changelog and it says "Handling of the other two legendary beasts is now controlled by a map script in Pallet Town instead of the Hall of Fame."

mm What does that mean?xd , i keep trying to find suicune but i cant, so maybe i have to beat the E4 again?, or talk to someone? :C?
Hi there, what I meant to say is that the actual releasing of the legendary beasts is handled by the map script in Pallet Town. You will still need to enter the Hall of Fame in order to set the flag that triggers the map script. (I implemented this in order to allow "re-rolling for better stats" if one isn't satisfied with the stats of the legendary beasts)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone else experience bugs when obtaining Celebi? If so, can you tell me which emulators you have used and/or if you have used cheats?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 10, 2018
A quick suggestion: would it be possible to add an IV rating to the status screen like the one Pokemon Gaia has?

For example: https://imgur.com/a/cPreTrj

I just think it looks great and is a technical improvement to the game much in the spirit of this hack.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Dec 4, 2019
Are there Pokemons Evolutions from later generations like Porygon-Z , Magmortar , mime Jr or Sylveon ? If not can u add this ?

Years
Are there Pokemons Evolutions from later generations like Porygon-Z , Magmortar , mime Jr or Sylveon ? If not can u add this ?

the point of the hack is for it to be as close to gen 1 as possible in gen 3, hence "throwback" adding cross gen evolutions just wouldnt make sense

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Pretty awesome hack. I think it came pretty close to original RBY. I think only way to be closer would be to make RBY style sprite replacement xD

I wonder. Maybe it would be worth to make separate version where pokemons stats are tweaked a bit more to 1st gen style(make SpA and SpD equal) and tweak moves like hyper beam to there gen1 glory. Might actually make throwback even more nostalgic(and broken xD)

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Unofficial Throwback v180629
and
Official Throwback v180629 release!​

Today, I'm happy to announce updates for both the Unofficial and Official versions of Throwback. Originally, I had only released updates for my 'Unofficial Throwback' in absense of RichterSnipes. This time however, I wanted to release two different versions, one of which is purely bug fixes for the official release. I provided these two updates because I felt that my unofficial version might be a bit off tangent to the theme of Throwback itself. These two versions will be available in a single archive labeled 'Pokemon Throwback.zip'.

Players that prefer RichterSnipes' version over my 'unofficial', should enjoy my 'official' update, as that update provides nothing but bug fixes for RichterSnipes' latest v170709 release. 'Unofficial Throwback' however, not only provides bug fixes, but also brings in more features albeit in a single ips patch.

Long story short, here are the main points of each version:

Pokemon Throwback v180629.zip (OFFICIAL)
- bug fix updates
- individual ips patches updated and available

Unofficial Throwback v180629.zip (UNOFFICIAL, by tkim)
- bug fix updates
- new and altered features
- single full ips patch only

Download link (also posted in the main thread topic): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NwbZIkRQl8bU5ZYThQel9uMzQ/view
Main thread topic: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7268152&postcount=1

More info on Unofficial Throwback:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
So the official Throwback download has all the fixes for the individual file parts? Thanks a lot for this!

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Official and Unofficial v180715 release!

Tiny developer-oversight fix for both versions:

[*]Fixed an error where the Vermilion Gym Guide mentioned "Bird"-type instead of the "Flying"-type.

---------------------------

Download link (also posted in the main thread topic): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NwbZIkRQl8bU5ZYThQel9uMzQ/view
Main thread topic: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7268152&postcount=1

More info on Unofficial Throwback v180715:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 12, 2019
Maybe a silly request, but can you decap the start menu? because i think it's inconsistent with the other thing because they already decapitalized except the start menu

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
RE Bird type: I actually thought that was a localization thing meant to reference Missingno's typing.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
It's a minor thing to ask, but is there a patch for the earlier title screen with both Venusaur and Charizard? It just fit so well to have both since you can get mons that were exclusive to the vanilla games in this one hack.

Last edited:
Back