• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourites

Years
  • I always enjoy threads like these because they're a great way to pick up recommendations. Plus, it's just interesting seeing what other people enjoy and why.

So, what are your 5-10 favourite games? Feel free to elaborate as much or as little on why as you want.

Years
  • I always prefer single player games to multi player games, I place 999 as a .5 because I personally think it's just a visual novel with some extremely basic puzzles that are just there to further give you more visual novel segments but in case people really consider it a proper game; then that's where it is. A lot of these games I haven't played in a long time but I've replayed a number of them multiple times and got 100% on them all so I'm pretty confident in their position.

1) Metroid Prime
    2) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    3) Yoshi's Woolly World
    3.5) 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    4) Luigi's Mansion 3
    5) Sonic Generations
    6) Xenoblade Chronicles X
    7) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    8) Stella Glow
    9) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    10) Doom (2016)

Doom is pretty recent for me but it reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime except more emphasis on the first person shooter side, without falling into the trappings of all the first person shooters I didn't enjoy. I haven't actually got all the collectibles yet but I'm going to do that in a few days time when I have the spare time. Extremely enjoyable and unabashedly aggressive. I used to play a lot of JRPG's but I don't really anymore, they still make up half of the list. The only thing missing is that I'd place the entire Etrian Odyssey series high on the list but no single EO game stands out for me from the rest, but I think all of them are extremely good games despite that and I'd place it second behind Xenoblade for my favourite series overall.

Years
  • Omg.. I wish I could name 5-10, but it's hard to remember all the games I loved over the years ;o; but the two I can remember are rune factory 4 and Pokémon bw.

rf4...was just perfect in many ways. The story and characters really captured me. They had great personalities that made me laugh a lot. I really got attached to that world and was so happy when it was ported to switch so I could relive those memories again. It will have a special place in my heart forever. ❤️

and Pokémon bw was just perfect. a dark/serious story I hadn't expected to see from Pokémon, but of course in a good way. the music in gen5 was some of my favorite ever, and it also introduced many of my favorite mons (whimsicott, cinccino, audino, mienshao, serperior among others). I think this was when my love for Pokémon was at its peak.

ohhhh and as I typed this I remembered trickster online, an mmo I played in high school. omg I met so many great people here and it was a such strong influence on my teenage years. cute characters, memorable and iconic art style, and a small company that was quite involved with their player base. downside was the game was quite p2w... probably one of the most p2w games out there. some equipment slots only could be filled by cash shop gear since it didn't exist in game, and almost all the in-game equipment overall was very weak compared to what you could buy with real money :catsad: still, I loved this game and met many friends there.

Years
  • top 10 games of all time in no particular order would be like...

1. Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2 - Grimoire of the Rift
    2. Pokemon Platinum
    3. Persona 3 FES
    4. Persona 5
    5. Fire Emblem - Radiant Dawn
    6. Ni No Kuni
    7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of the Sky
    8. Octopath Traveler
    9. Bravely Default
    10. Fire Emblem - Thracia 776

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    1. Paper Mario (N64)
    2. Bully (PS2 Version). Less content, but it has a more gritty art style which fits the game better than the colorful scholarship versions.
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    4. Super Mario Sunshine
    5. Grand Theft Auto 5
    6. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
    7. Bioshock: Infinite
    8. Fallout 3
    9. Skyrim...did not like this game a couple years ago. Recently went back and it grew on me massively.
    10. Xenoblade: Definitive Edition

Years
  • 1. The Last of Us
    2. Final Fantasy X
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    4. Final Fantasy IX
    5. Detroit: Become Human
    6. OneShot
    7. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl/Platinum
    8. Pokemon Sword & Shield
    9. To the Moon
    10. A Plague Tale: Innocence

By and large, I love games with characters, worlds and stories that captivate me. When I play games, I'm not really looking for a huge challenge, I'm looking to get lost in the experience. I'm not at all surprised that almost everything on my list is very story and character driven. Even the "two" Pokemon games are the one with the most interesting lore/world and the one with both an immersive world and great character writing. I considered other games that were not as story heavy that I really liked such as Party Hard and Civ 5/6 but in the end narrative experience wins out.

Interestingly enough; FFVI, FFIX, Detroit, To the Moon and A Plague Tale are all games I played for the first time this year - although I'd watched through Detroit before. Makes me glad I've been making more of a point to actually play games this year haha.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I'm going to group a couple together. There have been a bunch of games over the years.

1. Golden Sun + Golden Sun TLA
    2. Radiant Historia (both the original and Perfect Chronology)
    3. Final Fantasy 6 + Chrono Trigger
    4. Xenoblade 2
    5. Terranigma
    6. Xenogears
    7. Pokemon Blue
    8. Rudra no Hiho (Treasure of the Rudras)
    9. Xenoblade 1 (Definitive Edition)
    10. TES 3: Morrowind

It gets a little blurry at the end. I've probably forgotten a good number of games I really like.

Years
  • This will be hard, since every time I do list like this, I always remember another game that I think should be on the list. So, let's see:

1) Gothic - I love the whole series (except for that abominations of Gothic 3 addon and Arcania), but Gothic was one of the first game I've bought with my own money and loved it so much that right after finishing it, I raced to the shop and got Gothic 2.

2) Kingdom Come: Deliverance - I've been waiting for this game for over 8 years. And it was worth it. I think this game and Gothic could probably be ranked at 1.

3) Heroes of Might & Magic IV - I can't even count the sheer amount of hours I put in this game. I've played through almost every skirmish from the base game and both expansions.

4) The Witcher and Dragon Age: Origins - I'm putting both here, because there was a time when I used to run these games back to back. I know Witcher didn't age that well, but the atmosphere is top notch that next entries couldn't replicate. And it's basically same with DA:O. Newer Dragon Age games couldn't live up to the original.

5) Amnesia: The Dark Descent - This is still one of the best horror game in my opinion.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • My top 5 favourite games:
    1. Rayman 2 (Action)
    2. Guild Wars (MMORPG)
    3. Jumpstart 3rd Grade (Education)
    4. Pokemon White 2 (RPG)
    5. Heavy Rain (Adventure)

User Anon 1848

2. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
    3. Tekken 5
    4: Dragon Ball Fighterz
    5: GTA IV
    6. Batman: Arkham City
    7. Pokemon Soul Silver
    8. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    10. Super Metroid

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    10. Even The Ocean - This short, artsy 2D platformer might be my favorite from Analgesic Productions. I loved how the world building was implemented into the gameplay. The prerendered backgrounds were stunning as well.

9. Elite Beat Agents - Seeing a Japanese studio create such a wonderful ode to American pop culture is certainly rare. While most would be turned off by the short song list, each one contains an interactive story. If you fail, the character you're helping will fail as well. Oh, the things I'd do for a sequel.

8. Pokémon Black and White 2 - I miss when Pokémon games had so much content in the postgame. Whether you wanted to battle in the PWT, develop a mall, or create "movies," there was always something new to do in this game.

7. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - The noir setting is brought to life by this gruff localization. I can't think of another point and click adventure game that truly took me to another era.

6. Earthbound - Charming is the only word I can think of to describe this game. The cartoony art style, corny jokes, and distinct music are simply delightful.

5. The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64 version) - The game's dark atmosphere left quite an impression on me as a kid. While some people thought the time limit was stressful, I found it to be a great incentive to keep going. If only the 3DS remake didn't eliminate the game's atmosphere and difficulty.

4. Trails In The Sky Second Chapter - As great as the first game is, the second entry really is something else. The constantly escalating plot, larger soundtrack, and party customization make this an ideal sequel.

3. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 - While this game only has a fan translation, it is still a worthwhile entry. Everything that makes Ace Attorney great is present here in spades.

2. Persona 5 Royal - A stunning user interface, catchy soundtrack, engaging, and fast paced battle system kept me entertained for well over 125 hours (not counting later playthroughs).

1. Shovel Knight - An excellent platformer that pays tribute to numerous classics while outdoing all of them.

pkmin3033

Overdue to post in this topic...and cursing that I have to pick only 10, because 15 would have given me much more breathing room. xD

10. Resonance of Fate. A game that was released in the shadow of FFXIII and largely forgotten about as a result, it is nonetheless one of my favourite PS3 games, both for its unique battle system, merciless difficulty spikes, and steampunk setting, which was relatively uncommon for the time. The story wasn't much to speak of, but the interaction between the three main characters was great, and that counts for a lot sometimes.

9. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I lost 500 hours to this game over about 2 months on the 3DS, then another 200 or so on the Switch in less than a month. It's the only game asides from FFXIV that I have been able to play for longer than 12 hours in a single day. The difference? I LOVE this game. The online multiplayer makes it so engaging, the monster variety is obscene, the hunting styles make it so, SO much more fun than any other Monster Hunter title – seriously, when you can Adept Evade through anything, it's very satisfying, and Aerial style makes mounting so much easier – and the music is top-notch; with most major monsters having their own themes, making their hunts feel special. The additional monsters in Generations Ultimate gave it some additional value, but the main plus for that release was transmog. This is without doubt the definitive Monster Hunter experience...and will probably remain so for some time to come.

8. Baten Kaitos: Neverending Wings and the Lost Ocean. This game still stands out to me for its card-based battle system, which was surprisingly complex. It was ridiculously difficult at points – the trio still give me nightmares – and the plot was confusing, but I owe this game a lot. I joined my first internet forum because of this game! I would love to play the second, or get this remastered for Switch. For its time this game also had beautiful visuals, and some of Sakuraba's best soundtrack...which is saying something, because Sakuraba's music sounds very similar after you've played every Tales title.

7. Hyrule Warriors. This is a love letter to a franchise that has been with me since early childhood, and it's filled with everything you could ask for. The sheer variety in characters was incredible, the maps were taken straight from Zelda games, the music was a brilliant rock album remix of classic Zelda titles, and there was just So. Much. Content. It took me 240 hours to clear the Adventure Mode maps, and I never got bored with it; each one felt like a mini dungeon in and of itself with the item cards they needed, and despite starting life out on the Wii U, it feels just as polished on the Switch. The story mode is nothing to write home about, but who plays Zelda for story? This is exactly what a Warriors spinoff should look like.

6. Final Fantasy VIII. I feel so bad putting this on here ahead of FFXII and FF Tactics: War of the Lions - which are both better games, and I know this - but FFVIII has and always will hold a special place in my favourites, for being the first FF I really got into. The plot is a train wreck, but it's an anime kind of train wreck, which means you either love it or hate it...and personally, I love it. The cast is entertaining, the music is the best Final Fantasy has ever been – whilst there ARE better tracks in other games, none are this consistently excellent – and then there's Triple Triad, which is good enough to be a game by itself. I've probably spent more time playing Triple Triad than I have the rest of the game! But despite the gameplay bumps, the rigours of time, and the release of games with a better narrative, I find myself coming back to FFVIII time and again, and when I think of my favourite titles, I always reserve a spot for it.

5. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. I have never been a huge fan of the Ys series – I enjoyed Memories of Celceta well enough I suppose, but the earlier titles never really captivated me, because Adol just isn't interesting – but this game was something else. Finding the castaways and building a relationship with them to discover their backstory, learning more about Dana and the circumstances surrounding the destruction of her civilisation, and just uncovering every square inch of the map for 100% completion, was extremely addicting. The combat was absolutely brilliant, too. I'm definitely a fan if the next games are going to be like this one.

4. NieR. I knew I was going to like this game from the first teaser trailer Square Enix shared...then the teaser website went up with Blu Bird playing in the background and holy shit I fell in love hard for this game. It didn't disappoint, giving me a delightfully complex and heartbreaking narrative connected to one of my favourite PS2 games of all time - Drakengard - and the greatest video game soundtrack ever composed, bar none. NieR is over a decade old and I still listen to the OST almost every day; nothing compares, not even the sequel. There are no words to describe how excited I am for the remastered version of Replicant, which never made it outside of Japan...not that I minded, because I find the father/daughter dynamic to be more interesting, but damn me if I don't want to experience this again with a full re-recorded soundtrack. NieR is just one of those games that gets it right in every department that matters (for me that's soundtrack, narrative, and characterisation) and is just classic Yoko Taro - dark and disturbing but with some real emotion and thought put into it.

3. Disgaea 4. Delightful political satire, an excellent lead in Valvatorez, surprisingly good character development arcs for all of the main cast – whilst Fuka and Desco never hit the same highs as Etna and Flonne, they still played well off one another – and a fantastic postgame. Disgaea 4 is the pinnacle of the series and the pinnacle of the SRPG genre. I spent 120 hours platting the Vita version and loved every second of it. Disgaea 5 was a horrific step backwards from this, and it's easily the best the series has ever been.

2. Tales of Berseria. Where do I even begin with this game? When I heard this was a prequel to Zestiria, which is one of the worst Tales titles I have ever played – right alongside Vesperia and Abyss – I was initially put off. The "emotion over reason" theme was something that made me very doubtful it would be particularly good either, because that is in direct opposition to my own thought processes: I have always been someone who prefers to think things through logically, and outright suppress emotions wherever I can. I was expecting a bleeding heart, preachy game with a weak-willed protagonist who was basically a Milla Maxwell palette swap in fanservice clothing. I was fully prepared to hate this game, and I put it off for months when it was released to play Horizon: Zero Dawn.

...god, it's so nice to be wrong sometimes. Berseria is a masterpiece in storytelling; an emotion tale about revenge on par with Xenoblade for its character development and story twists. Any one of the party members could easily be seen as an antagonist; indeed, they actively play that role in the game's world. They're utterly detestable, selfish people. But the way they interact with one another is so genuine that it's difficult not to like all of them, and even to sympathise with them. Watching them butt heads is extremely entertaining, and they all get their own personal redemption arcs even as they are swept up in Velvet's quest...well, if you can call killing your opposite "redemption" I suppose. But it's hard not to root for them or see their perspective. This game also does the impossible: it makes Tales of Zestiria better. With a backstory like this, replaying that game with that context makes it seem so much more meaningful.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles. I suspect that anyone who saw me post in this topic would know this would be #1, and really, can you blame me? Xenoblade Chronicles is a masterpiece, the perfect blend of engaging storytelling, gameplay, and exploration. The use of foreshadowing in this game to tease you into what is coming whilst simultaneously keeping you in the dark is nothing short of genius, as the visions will lead you into believing things will happen a certain way, only to discover that they are part of a greater event that you could never have predicted...and it keeps this up for over 60 hours. Excluding sidequests. Everything about this game is new and exciting (or was at the time of release) and for me, this did something extremely important: it revitalised my interest in video games, when I was convinced that I'd seen it all. Xenoblade Chronicles is my new gold standard for JRPGs and for storytelling in video games, and it seems unlikely that it will be surpassed for years to come...not if XC2 is any indicator, anyway. I hesitate to call it the perfect game, because all things could stand to be improved, and honestly whilst Berseria made Zestiria better, XC2 and Future Connected have both made this game worse, but judging it on its individual merits I still think it stands head and shoulders above everything else.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • In no particular order:

1. Fallout: New Vegas
    2. Metal Gear Solid 2
    3. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
    4. Super Mario Sunshine
    5. Pokemon Crystal
    6. Pokemon SoulSilver
    7. Old School RuneScape
    8. The Simpsons: Hit and Run