• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Cranidos or Shieldon?

Cranidos or Shieldon?

• Cranidos

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Shieldon

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

pkmin3033

shieldon.png

Generation IV gave us two new fossil Pokemon - Cranidos, exclusive to Diamond, and Shieldon, exclusive to Pearl. Which do you prefer, and why? Were you happy about them being version exclusive, or would you have preferred to have been given the choice between which fossil you chose?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I would definitely have preferred a choice - something they could have at least done in Platinum instead of making it dependent on your ID number (As I own Diamond and Platinum I always reset for a good trainer ID on the latter).

But I do vastly prefer Cranidos - It's not that I don't occasionally love dragging out battles with bulkier pokémon (I love Snorlax and Swampert for example) but that its' typing doesn't allow that as it has too many weaknesses.

Cranidos / Rampardos on the other hand is so much fun! I love giving it a quick Rock Polish then obliterating a Levitate user with Earthquake, and Zen Headbutt means unlike Shieldon / Bastiodon it doesn't fall to pieces in front of a Fighting-type like Barry's Infernape quite so easily.

pkmin3033

I adore Bastiodon; it's my all-time favourite Pokemon. I mean...a dinosaur bulldozer. How cool is that? Maybe it's not the most elegant or most useful Pokemon, but it's like the fulfilment of all my childhood hopes and dreams in Pokemon form. If they made a few more Pokemon like it they could combine them to make a Megazord or something...alright, maybe not.

Don't worry, Shieldon. One person, at least, thinks you're great.

Years
  • I love Cranidos and its evolution, the design always looked really cool to me, not really a fan of Shieldon though.

pkmin3033

Everyone loves Catiodon. No other fossil is cool enough to have a cat form! Sabre-toothed tiger fossil Pokemon when, Game Freak?

I was actually kinda sad that Diamond didn't have Shieldon in it...it had the best exclusives for me, save for that one Pokemon. I think I would have liked the choice as well, or better yet, the ability to find them in the Sinnoh Underground.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I really love themm both!

I guess if I'll have to choose its gonnabe Cranidos since I liked it since the beginning and sheldon only grew on me this last year. But really I love the fossile Pokemon and both are in my top 4 !

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2017
    The choice is always better, in my opinion. And I prefer Shieldon, that shield-face is so cool and unexpected, I love it! (Shieldon was also the first Shiny I hatched in Gen VI, so there's that as well...)

tumblr_o4zodrkS5x1u72a7yo1_500.png

how about now?

Shieldon/Bastiodon were already my favorite fossil 'mons from Gen IV, but now...

WHERE CAN I GET CATIODON, I WANT 12 OF THEM!!!!!1!

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years
  • I used to love Sheildon and Bastiodon. The only thing I disliked is not being able to make use of it before being blown away by an Earthquake or Close Combat...........

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I LOVE both Cranidos & Shieldon but I'm going to have to give it to Cranidos!

One of the first Pokémon Let's Plays I'd watched included a Cranidos on the player's team which I grew very fond of lol. Also, love the designs of Cranidos & Rampardos! The addition of blue makes it more appealable than the smudges of yellow on Bastiodon.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Don't really have a preference, but I do think that Cranidos' evolution is kinda lazy: Rampardos looks like an oversized Cranidos with a few extra spikes.

Years
  • This gen's fossil duo are pretty decent, as far as both design and usability go. But my vote went to Cranidos since it's the one I probably had more experience with along with being my fave design of the two.

Back