• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

end of the road son

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • not really the end of the road but like when you're replaying pokemon games, what part do you tend to lose your steam and not want to get through? i've been replaying platinum and i just hit the snowy routes and honestly dying seems like a better option rn bc i hate this place. i get burnt out in RSE after i get surf and have to head up to fortree + when i grind for that gym, i just always get so damn bored. in GSC/HGSS, i get in a lull after i finish up ecruteak bc it's just back to back gyms with little in between at that point and the level curve becomes painfully obvious at that point. and XY just starting the game is the lull. got my starter now i'm bored.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    usually around the end of the game

it's not even limited to just Pokemon really, I've noticed it happens with me for many other games too

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I don't really get bored of pokemon games. I usually enjoy the whole thing through to the end.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    yes omg you caught me. there have been so many replays of pokemon where i would get pretty far in and then just. lose steam and then never finish. i can think of at least two in which i was at the league and then just never beat it and ended up restarting at one point oop.

Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 2, 2020
    Honestly the opening portion of the games, in older ones I usually get into replays around badge 1 or 2. In newer games, definitely the first tutorial stage they just drag on and on, it's almost like a chore to play a game that I love?

Also I get weirdly bored near the middle, usually since I've got my team and the story usually lulls for a bit. If I ever feel myself getting bored I usually go out and find a pokemon I've never used before and put it on my team to shake things up. No idea if that would work for everyone 😂

Years
  • Last time I tried to do a playthrough of Sapphire, I made it all the way to Victory Road, but once I got there I'd kind of had enough, and never finished it. Usually I don't even make it that far when replaying a game, but a bit disappointed in myself that I couldn't even finish even though I was that close.

Years
  • Am I the only one that tends to lose steam right as I start the game? :s

No, really! I think the earliest parts of Pokemon games are the most difficult parts for me since oftentimes that's when I have to get really serious about level grinding and whatnot and invest more time into planning a team out. Usually by the middle or the end of the game I have somewhat of a full team and I can push on ahead since that's what motivates me, but the beginning part of the game feels rather daunting. ;_;

Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 2, 2020
    Am I the only one that tends to lose steam right as I start the game? :s

No, really! I think the earliest parts of Pokemon games are the most difficult parts for me since oftentimes that's when I have to get really serious about level grinding and whatnot and invest more time into planning a team out. Usually by the middle or the end of the game I have somewhat of a full team and I can push on ahead since that's what motivates me, but the beginning part of the game feels rather daunting. ;_;

I completely agree, especially since the newer games have longer openings (with all of S/M feeling like a tutorial :/) I find it harder and harder to replay them as time goes on

Years
  • I completely agree, especially since the newer games have longer openings (with all of S/M feeling like a tutorial :/) I find it harder and harder to replay them as time goes on

Usually after I finish the 3rd or 4th Gym or so, I have enough motivation to where I can push through the rest of the game because that's where the plot becomes kind of interesting, but prior to that (at least for me), it kind of becomes a tiring chore of going through early route trainers/Pokemon, trying to figure out which Pokemon to add to my team etc... it's mostly the team planning part that gets me.

Years
  • there are some. in (fire)red, i tend to slow down by the rock tunnel. i hate that place hahahha
    in hoenn, i also slow down after lilycove city since there's a lot of surfing by that area. in platinum, there was that period in the story where you need to go through Mt. Coronet and it smashes my motivation away. i've never liked mountainous areas in pokemon games, it's just too dark and boring idk.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Right before most game's equivalent of Victory Road.

Years
  • i've been replaying platinum and i just hit the snowy routes and honestly dying seems like a better option rn bc i hate this place

ugh some of these memories are coming back to me, my kid self used to get frustrated going through those areas ahdhfhg

Although I lovelove RSE and ORAS, getting to the eastern side of the map with all of the water/surfing/diving can be pretty boring because of how long and repetitive it is. Not so much that I'd put the game down or anything (and it doesn't bother me enough to take this gen out of my top generations list), but it's noticeably less fun than the rest of the content. :<

ice path in gsc is also boring

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I've done numerous Yellow challenge runs. What keeps me going is wanting to finish the Challenge so I suck it up and grind like mad to get it done ASAP. Otherwise if I'm doing just a regular playthough, I typically lose steam right after the 4th Gym. The reason why is because the level jump from Erika to Koga is way higher than it is in Red/Blue. His Ace in Red/Blue is a level 43 Muk. His first Pokemon in Yellow is a level 44 Venonat and ends with a level 50 Venomoth. Sabrina's Pokemon are much higher in level too, although her team has one glaring flaw that can be exploited. Blaine and Giovanni are much higher in level as well with better movesets to boot.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Almost always half way through Kanto. I do not like the region because it feels like a giant slog of trainers with not much else going on. Even the newer games feel this way. I was playing Heart Gold and made it into Kanto, after two badges into it I haven't been motivated to play. Although I love the concept of going there.

Sometimes with Emerald I get tired of playing around the Aqua Hideout.

Last edited:
    Back