• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you remember your original game winning teams? (Gen 1-5 Era)

bez850

Professional Amateur
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    For the vast majority of us, we have been playing pokemon for a couple decades. We have learned how to use all the different mechanics, type pairings, competitive playing, and now co-op and Tera types are on their way too!

With that being said, our first video game triumphs in this series weren't all competitive. They also weren't all pokemon we consider our favorites, or even used in battle (more or less, I'm generalizing).

So I want to see who remembers their first teams!!! I happen to have a card collection book with my teams in them because I used to get a card for every championship team I had when I was a kid! (Johto counts as the battle against red not the elite 4.)

f7a83f31-ac5e-4ac1-a4b9-0fe69fc84c87.png
    ebd0464a-e26e-4541-93dc-8406ffebffe0.png
    4f71119f-7157-40b3-9470-9564632d0b20.png
    fcf5d997-0b26-40db-9eab-50da3f16bd98.png
    1b6eedf3-d10f-414b-8fd2-9cfbcad61cfd.png

I made those on the pokecharms site, just Google trainer card maker of you want to make your own but tell me your teams from back in the day in the comments down below!!!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Those were all long enough ago for me that I can't really remember what the first teams were, especially since in most cases I can't even boot the game up to look--everything up through Gen 6 has been beaten at least twice, so the original teams aren't even there anymore. Can remember bits and pieces, but not much else.

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Those were all long enough ago for me that I can't really remember what the first teams were, especially since in most cases I can't even boot the game up to look--everything up through Gen 6 has been beaten at least twice, so the original teams aren't even there anymore. Can remember bits and pieces, but not much else.

That's fair, when I was younger I got the cards to match my team. I recently found that particular card book, and my ds and Gameboy sp in my storage this week, that's where I got the idea to make the post!

Years
  • I do remember quite a few of my teams.

Yellow
    pikachu-color.png
    venusaur-color.png
    charizard-color.png
    blastoise-color.png
    pidgeot-color.png
    nidoqueen-color.png

Crystal
    meganium.png
    noctowl.png
    ampharos.png
    magmar.png
    quagsire.png
    hitmonchan.png

Sapphire
    swampert.png
    dustox.png
    gardevoir.png
    hariyama.png
    torkoal.png
    tropius.png

Black
    emboar.gif
    simisage.gif
    musharna.gif
    zebstrika.gif
    seismitoad.gif
    bisharp.gif
    druddigon.gif

White 2
    samurott.gif
    audino.gif
    beartic.gif
    ferrothorn.gif
    golurk.gif
    galvantula.gif

Y
    greninja.gif
    snorlax.gif
    charizard.gif
    lucario.gif
    meowstic-f.gif
    yveltal.gif

Alpha Sapphire
    swampert.gif
    donphan.gif
    skarmory.gif
    mightyena.gif
    dusclops.gif
    glalie.gif

Sun
    decidueye.gif
    ninetales-alola.gif
    snorlax.gif
    mudsdale.gif
    wishiwashi.gif
    salazzle.gif

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I do remember quite a few of my teams.

Yellow
    pikachu-color.png
    venusaur-color.png
    charizard-color.png
    blastoise-color.png
    pidgeot-color.png
    nidoqueen-color.png

Crystal
    meganium.png
    noctowl.png
    ampharos.png
    magmar.png
    quagsire.png
    hitmonchan.png

Sapphire
    swampert.png
    dustox.png
    gardevoir.png
    hariyama.png
    torkoal.png
    tropius.png

Black
    emboar.gif
    simisage.gif
    musharna.gif
    zebstrika.gif
    seismitoad.gif
    bisharp.gif
    druddigon.gif

White 2
    samurott.gif
    audino.gif
    beartic.gif
    ferrothorn.gif
    golurk.gif
    galvantula.gif

Y
    greninja.gif
    snorlax.gif
    charizard.gif
    lucario.gif
    meowstic-f.gif
    yveltal.gif

Alpha Sapphire
    swampert.gif
    donphan.gif
    skarmory.gif
    mightyena.gif
    dusclops.gif
    glalie.gif

Sun
    decidueye.gif
    ninetales-alola.gif
    snorlax.gif
    mudsdale.gif
    wishiwashi.gif
    salazzle.gif

I actually ran that same exact team for yellow, except with Nidoking! But I wasn't sure if it was my first playthrough I counted it as not.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hard to remember in the old gens because I played through them several times so my memories of the teams are a bit mixed up. But these are more or less my first teams in each region/gen:

Kanto (Red):
    Charizard, Poliwrath, Raichu, Pidgeot, Haunter, idr

Johto (Gold):
    Typhlosion, Ampharos, Xatu, Umbreon, idr, idr.

Hoenn (Sapphire):
    Sceptile, Manectric, Swalot, Torkoal, Donphan, idr.

Kanto (Leaf Green):
    Nidoqueen is all I remember...

Sinnoh (Platinum):
    Torterra, Gastrodon, Probopass, Rapidash, Froslass, no 6th.

Johto (Heart Gold):
    Typhlosion, Togetic, Victreebel, Forretress, Lapras, Raikou

Unova (Black):
    Serperior, Crustle, Gothitelle, Eelektross, idr.

Alola (Ultra Moon):
    Decidueye, Mudsdale, Salazzle, Ampharos, Tyrantrum, Alolan Ninetales.

Black 2, Y, Sun, Omega Ruby, Shield, and Shining Pearl first teams in my signature.

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Hard to remember in the old gens because I played through them several times so my memories of the teams are a bit mixed up. But these are more or less my first teams in each region/gen:

Kanto (Red):
    Charizard, Poliwrath, Raichu, Pidgeot, Haunter, idr

Johto (Gold):
    Typhlosion, Ampharos, Xatu, Umbreon, idr, idr.

Hoenn (Sapphire):
    Sceptile, Manectric, Swalot, Torkoal, Donphan, idr.

Kanto (Leaf Green):
    Nidoqueen is all I remember...

Sinnoh (Platinum):
    Torterra, Gastrodon, Probopass, Rapidash, Froslass, no 6th.

Johto (Heart Gold):
    Typhlosion, Togetic, Victreebel, Forretress, Lapras, Raikou

Unova (Black):
    Serperior, Crustle, Gothitelle, Eelektross, idr.

Alola (Ultra Moon):
    Decidueye, Mudsdale, Salazzle, Ampharos, Tyrantrum, Alolan Ninetales.

Black 2, Y, Sun, Omega Ruby, Shield, and Shining Pearl first teams in my signature.

You have atleast one of my top 5 from each gen in your teams:

Gen 1: Poliwrath/Pidgeot
    Gen 2: typhlosion/umbreon
    Gen3: manectrike
    Gen 4: frosslass
    Gen 5: gothitelle

That's awesome!!

Years
  • Well I was a bit late to the party when it comes to the games, I didn't know they existed until much later since Nintendo products were very hard to find where I lived and not very popular or even known to most people around me. On top of that pretty much nobody knew or talked about any Nintendo games other than Super Mario so for most of my childhood I knew Pokemon only as a cartoon/anime. So my Pokemon teams only go back to late Gen 4 and early Gen 5 days (about 10 to 12 years ago) and I remember most of them.

SoulSilver: It was my first and oldest completed game so I don't really remember my full team but I do remember most of the Pokemon I used. I'm 100% sure I had Feraligatr, Noctowl, Arcanine and Magneton. I'm like 60% to 70% sure I had a Kadabra/Alakazam as well and I can't remember my last one at all.

I also replayed the game just before I had to sell it so I could get a 3DS before Gen 6 came out but I only beat Lance and one Gym in Kanto (Lt. Surge) so I never got to Red this time around, that team was Typhlosion, Vileplume, Poliwrath, Tauros, Dragonair (wasn't able to evolve it before selling the game) and I don't remember the 6th Pokemon once again.

Platinum: It was my least favorite out of my first 3 Pokemon games (others being SoulSilver and Black) so I played it the least and never actually completed it before selling it with my other two games to be able to buy 3DS and Y. I think I only got up to the Crasher Wake and didn't play much after defeating him. My team was Torterra, Staraptor, Floatzel, Houndoom and (maybe) Croagunk. I also remember planning to have Raichu as my last Pokemon but I never got to the Trophy Garden to catch a Pikachu.

I was finally able to buy Platinum again at the end of 2021 so my first completed Platinum run was from earlier this year. The team was: Empoleon, Roserade, Kazza the Alakazam, Ambipom, Gliscor and Froslass.

Black: Gen 5 is my favorite generation of Pokemon even today and I remember everything about my first journey through Unova. My team was Samurott, Excadrill, Leavanny, Darmanitan, Galvantula and Tornadus/Sawk.

I caught roaming Tornadus just before challenging the Elite 4 because I only had 5 Pokemon on my team at the time but I wanted a full team for the Pokemon League. Then after beating the E4, N and Ghetsis and starting to go through the post-game I felt it was "cheap" that I was using a Legendary so I boxed Tornadus and I caught a high level Sawk instead and used him as my 6th Pokemon for the rest of the post-game, E4 rematches and Cynthia fight.

Black 2: It's my favorite game (along with White 2) and one of my favorite teams I ever had came from this first playthrough of Black 2.

The team: Serperior, Lucario, Arcanine, Crustle, Jolteon and Lapras.

I also used Grimer/Muk from 3rd Gym all the way up to almost the 7th Gym when I could finally catch a Lapras to use against Drayden.

Other teams: By now I played every game from every generation so far but all of those playthroughs were done in the last 10 or so years so these teams aren't that old. I'll just quickly list the couple of the oldest ones.

LeafGreen: Venusaur, Fearow, Butterfree and can't remember the rest

FireRed: Charizard, Primeape, Raichu, Dugtrio, Vaporeon and Snorlax

Crystal: Feraligatr, Growlithe (couldn't find the Fire Stone), Parasect, Sudowoodo, Red Gyarados and Suicune

Last edited:

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I played Silver first and I was like 5 or 6, so I mostly solo'd with Typhlosion and then threw the legendaries I caught (Lugia & Entei) and the red Gyarados in too, but still mostly just used Typhlosion.

I then went on to play Blue afterward and I remember that team was more varied and balanced (I actually used them all a lot), I had Blastoise, Pigeot, Gengar & Victreebell.

My first run through Ruby I had Swampert, Slaking, Mightyena, Salamence & Groudon.

Diamond was Luxray, Infernape, Staraptor, Drifblim & Hippowdon.

White I had Serperior, Musharna, Excadrill, Bisharp & two I didn't use as much Swanna & Sawsbuck.

I've since played through them all numerous times with a bunch of different teams, but I always remember the first team I beat the games with as a kid.

I guess I hardly ever had a full team of 6 saving that last spot(s) for the HM slave(s).

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Well I was a bit late to the party when it comes to the games, I didn't know they existed until much later since Nintendo products were very hard to find where I lived and not very popular or even known to most people around me. On top of that pretty much nobody knew or talked about any Nintendo games other than Super Mario so for most of my childhood I knew Pokemon only as a cartoon/anime. So my Pokemon teams only go back to late Gen 4 and early Gen 5 days (about 10 to 12 years ago) and I remember most of them.

SoulSilver: It was my first and oldest completed game so I don't really remember my full team but I do remember most of the Pokemon I used. I'm 100% sure I had Feraligatr, Noctowl, Arcanine and Magneton. I'm like 60% to 70% sure I had a Kadabra/Alakazam as well and I can't remember my last one at all.

I also replayed the game just before I had to sell it so I could get a 3DS before Gen 6 came out but I only beat Lance and one Gym in Kanto (Lt. Surge) so I never got to Red this time around, that team was Typhlosion, Vileplume, Poliwrath, Tauros, Dragonair (wasn't able to evolve it before selling the game) and I don't remember the 6th Pokemon once again.

Platinum: It was my least favorite out of my first 3 Pokemon games (others being SoulSilver and Black) so I played it the least and never actually completed it before selling it with my other two games to be able to buy 3DS and Y. I think I only got up to the Crasher Wake and didn't play much after defeating him. My team was Torterra, Staraptor, Floatzel, Houndoom and (maybe) Croagunk. I also remember planning to have Raichu as my last Pokemon but I never got to the Trophy Garden to catch a Pikachu.

I was finally able to buy Platinum again at the end of 2021 so my first completed Platinum run was from earlier this year. The team was: Empoleon, Roserade, Kazza the Alakazam, Ambipom, Gliscor and Froslass.

Black: Gen 5 is my favorite generation of Pokemon even today and I remember everything about my first journey through Unova. My team was Samurott, Excadrill, Leavanny, Darmanitan, Galvantula and Tornadus/Sawk.

I caught roaming Tornadus just before challenging the Elite 4 because I only had 5 Pokemon on my team at the time but I wanted a full team for the Pokemon League. Then after beating the E4, N and Ghetsis and starting to go through the post-game I felt it was "cheap" that I was using a Legendary so I boxed Tornadus and I caught a high level Sawk instead and used him as my 6th Pokemon for the rest of the post-game, E4 rematches and Cynthia fight.

Black 2: It's my favorite game (along with White 2) and one of my favorite teams I ever had came from this first playthrough of Black 2.

The team: Serperior, Lucario, Arcanine, Crustle, Jolteon and Lapras.

I also used Grimer/Muk from 3rd Gym all the way up to almost the 7th Gym when I could finally catch a Lapras to use against Drayden.

Other teams: By now I played every game from every generation so far but all of those playthroughs were done in the last 10 or so years so these teams aren't that old. I'll just quickly list the couple of the oldest ones.

LeafGreen: Venusaur, Fearow, Butterfree and can't remember the rest

FireRed: Charizard, Primeape, Raichu, Dugtrio, Vaporeon and Snorlax

Crystal: Feraligatr, Growlithe (couldn't find the Fire Stone), Parasect, Sudowoodo, Red Gyarados and Suicune

Better late than never though! Sick teams!

Years
  • Mine is a little boring in early gens. Let's see...

RB: Blastoise
    Yellow: Pikachu
    GSC: Typhlosion
    DPPt: Empoleon

Yep, I used just the starter as a kid for the longest time since it was easier to level one Pokémon than more haha. From BW onwards I started using more and...forgot what I used! :D; But I can remember some of them, so I'll list those out.

BW: Samurott, Victini, Cinccino, Chandelure, Mienshao, Excadrill
    BW2: Serperior, Zebstrika, Volcarona

I really wish I could remember more. But my memory for this is not so great. :(

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Mine is a little boring in early gens. Let's see...

RB: Blastoise
    Yellow: Pikachu
    GSC: Typhlosion
    DPPt: Empoleon

Yep, I used just the starter as a kid for the longest time since it was easier to level one Pokémon than more haha. From BW onwards I started using more and...forgot what I used! :D; But I can remember some of them, so I'll list those out.

BW: Samurott, Victini, Cinccino, Chandelure, Mienshao, Excadrill
    BW2: Serperior, Zebstrika, Volcarona

I really wish I could remember more. But my memory for this is not so great. :(

I get that! If I didn't have the card book I'd have no idea! I left notes in the book and everything lol

Years
  • Ruby

Sceptile
    Pelipper
    Minun
    Camerupt
    Zangoose
    Dusclops

Sapphire

Blaziken
    Altaria
    Plusle
    Crawdaunt
    Aggron
    Swalot

Emerald

Swampert
    Swellow
    Manectric
    Torkoal
    Seviper
    Flygon

FireRed

Blastoise
    Pidgeot
    Raichu
    Arcanine
    Arbok
    Dugtrio

LeafGreen

Charizard
    Fearow
    Raichu
    Lapras
    Sandslash
    Victreebel

Colosseum

Espeon
    Umbreon
    Typhlosion
    Plusle
    Forretress
    Altaria

XD: Gale of Darkness

Jolteon
    Dewgong
    Sandslash
    Houndoom
    Ariados
    Flygon

Diamond

Torterra
    Honchkrow
    Pachirisu
    Lumineon
    Rampardos
    Weavile

Pearl

Infernape
    Chatot
    Pachirisu
    Gastrodon (East Sea)
    Drapion
    Mismagius

Platinum

Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Luxray
    Abomasnow
    Garchomp
    Spiritomb

HeartGold

Feraligatr
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Houndoom
    Sunflora
    Hitmontop

SoulSilver

Meganium
    Skarmory
    Ampharos
    Magcargo
    Politoed
    Ariados

Black

Serperior
    Swanna
    Eelektross
    Darmanitan
    Maractus
    Gigalith

White

Emboar
    Swoobat
    Galvantula
    Sawsbuck (Summer Form)
    Hydreigon
    Conkeldurr

Black 2

Samurott
    Unfezant (Male)
    Zebstrika
    Krookodile
    Haxrous
    Chandelure

White 2

Emboar
    Unfezant (Female)
    Zebstrika
    Ferrothorn
    Beartic
    Seismitoad

Last edited:

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Ruby

Sceptile
    Pelipper
    Minun
    Camerupt
    Zangoose
    Dusclops

Sapphire

Blaziken
    Altaria
    Plusle
    Crawdaunt
    Aggron
    Swalot

Emerald

Swampert
    Swellow
    Manectric
    Torkoal
    Seviper
    Flygon

FireRed

Blastoise
    Pidgeot
    Raichu
    Arcanine
    Arbok
    Dugtrio

LeafGreen

Charizard
    Fearow
    Raichu
    Lapras
    Sandslash
    Victreebel

Diamond

Torterra
    Honchkrow
    Pachirisu
    Lumineon
    Rampardos
    Weavile

Pearl

Infernape
    Chatot
    Pachirisu
    Gastrodon (East Sea)
    Drapion
    Mismagius

Platinum

Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Luxray
    Abomasnow
    Garchomp
    Spiritomb

HeartGold

Feraligatr
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Houndoom
    Sunflora
    Hitmontop

SoulSilver

Meganium
    Skarmory
    Ampharos
    Magcargo
    Politoed
    Ariados

Black

Serperior
    Swanna
    Eelektross
    Darmanitan
    Maractus
    Gigalith

White

Emboar
    Swoobat
    Galvantula
    Sawsbuck (Summer Form)
    Hydrigon
    Conkeldurr

Black 2

Samurott
    Unfezant (Male)
    Zebstrika
    Krookodile
    Haxrous
    Chandelure

White 2

Emboar
    Unfezant (Female)
    Zebstrika
    Ferrothorn
    Beartic
    Seismitoad

I love all your teams! You totally should have rocked Typhlosion but that's just me lolol just kidding

Years
  • I actually did use Typhlosion on a second playthrough of HeartGold recently and this was the team I used also added my teams from Colosseum & XD: Gale of Darkness.

Typhlosion
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Quagsire
    Jumpluff
    Ledian

Last edited:

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I actually did use Typhlosion on a second playthrough of HeartGold recently and this was the team I used also added my teams from Colosseum & XD: Gale of Darkness.

Typhlosion
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Quagsire
    Jumpluff
    Ledian

Yo! So, of all my Johto playthroughs (there are a lot, it's my favorite region) my ultimate go to team of johto exclusives is almost always:
    Typhlosion, Noctowl, Ampharos, Quagsire, Scizor, and Umbreon as my classic GO TO favorite team of all time. But now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever accomplished the HoF with that team lololol

Back