• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your fave Ash Ketchum design?

Your fave Ash Ketchum design?

• Total voters
Years
  • I am definitely unsurprised at Sun & Moon being at the bottom on everyone's lists. It is definitely his laziest outfit design by a long shot since it's literally the exact same outfit as the game protagonist, with only minor recolours.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • It's tied between his Advanced and XY outfits... I slightly lean on the XY design Satoshi just looks so damn cool in XY.

Sun and Moon design is flexible it's emphasis is more on function than fashion, so I don't really see it winning this poll XD... Still the first screenshot of the new design didn't really emphasize how cool it can look tho.

Years
  • My favorite is definitely the one from Diamond and Pearl series. It looked the most suitable for him, the most badass.

Years
  • My favorite is definitely the one from Diamond and Pearl series. It looked the most suitable for him, the most badass.

I feel DP doesn't get enough love. It's one of the more simple ones in that it didn't override too much with bright colours, which both BW and SM emphasised on way too much.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    DP had that one yellow stripe of eyesore, yellow was previously used as an accent color to bring out the details, but looks out of place here surrounded by black to which it doesn't blend. Having another smaller stripe like the one in Advanced generation would help a lot.

Years
  • It's tied between his Advanced and XY outfits... I slightly lean on the XY design Satoshi just looks so damn cool in XY.

I feel AG was probably the most comfortable-looking one, but at the same time it's also not extremely lazy like SM (aka completely ripped from the games with barely any attempt at different accents) which would have been the only other comfortable-fitting Ash outfit contender.

Cesar11B

Frazbear
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    El mejor diseño de ash a mi parecer es el de la pelicula I Chose You

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    El mejor diseño de ash a mi parecer es el de la pelicula I Chose You
    Hey, unfortunately this is an English website - we don't speak Spanish and we don't allow people to post in other languages than English since if they did, we couldn't make sure that the text is appropriate, and the majority could not participate.

I'm very sorry, but I hope you will return if you learn some more English :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    The Original series look fit him the most and it is a classic.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Before the clean and sleek style they gave him in the XY series, my favorite was his Advance Generation outfit.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • It was a tough call for me when picking my #1 choice but I ultimately decided on Diamond and Pearl. XY was a very close 2nd, with AG, OS and BW rounding out my top 5. If you look at his AG and DP designs, they're incredibly similar in nature with the only difference being a change in his shirt/vest and a minor color change in his hat. His XY design looks to be the most mature(which is probably a sign that we wish Ash wasn't a 10 year old) and his SM design looks flat/uninspired(possibly due to a change in art design... or the fact its been 20 years and its time to put the anime out of its misery...).

Anyways DP is now getting some much deserved love.

Years
  • It was a tough call for me when picking my #1 choice but I ultimately decided on Diamond and Pearl. XY was a very close 2nd, with AG, OS and BW rounding out my top 5. If you look at his AG and DP designs, they're incredibly similar in nature with the only difference being a change in his shirt/vest and a minor color change in his hat. His XY design looks to be the most mature(which is probably a sign that we wish Ash wasn't a 10 year old) and his SM design looks flat/uninspired(possibly due to a change in art design... or the fact its been 20 years and its time to put the anime out of its misery...).

Anyways DP is now getting some much deserved love.

I admit DP was a cross between badass and simple while not being too monotone which was a problem the XY outfit had by being way too much blue. SM being uninspired is not because of the art style, but likely because it literally was copy-and-pasted from the games.

170px-Sun_Moon_Protagonist_male.png

In fact, Ash's SM outfit is literally the exact same getup that this guy is wearing. The only differences are Ash's shirt colours being inverted and the hat being red, the shorts, bag and shoes are literally unchanged. It's just so cringy when you look at it, because I hate laziness when it comes to Ash's regional outfits. I can get the climate of Alola would make sense for Ash having shorts and no gloves, but not to this extent.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I admit DP was a cross between badass and simple while not being too monotone which was a problem the XY outfit had by being way too much blue. SM being uninspired is not because of the art style, but likely because it literally was copy-and-pasted from the games.

In fact, Ash's SM outfit is literally the exact same getup that this guy is wearing. The only differences are Ash's shirt colours being inverted and the hat being red, the shorts, bag and shoes are literally unchanged. It's just so cringy when you look at it, because I hate laziness when it comes to Ash's regional outfits. I can get the climate of Alola would make sense for Ash having shorts and no gloves, but not to this extent.

Ash has always had a lot of Blue in his outfits. His original setup started it off, with AG continuing it. DP(which I voted for) was a noticeable change that brought in a bit more Black or dark Navy Blue that contrasted well with the rest of his outfit. BW brought back the Blue(albeit contrasted with a lot of white(like he's fresh to the scene again)) before the traditional Blue look being brought back in XY(which I think was to pay homage to the OS like the XY theme). Then you get SM and yeah... it's definitely similar to the game set-up. Call it a cut and paste with some color changes.

I mean if they're that lazy with SM, could you imagine what a past character would look like in the SM anime if they were to return? Almost makes you not want them to come back for just that reason alone.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I voted for original but i like his other styles. Not SM design though. They really messed up the way he looks. His facial expressions in SM is just awful to witness.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I admit DP was a cross between badass and simple while not being too monotone which was a problem the XY outfit had by being way too much blue. SM being uninspired is not because of the art style, but likely because it literally was copy-and-pasted from the games.

While SM is the most blatant case, this has basically been the deal with *all* of Ash's outfits since DP:

20060930043353%21Ash_DP_1.png
    20150906035710%21Diamond_Pearl_Lucas.png

20130911213713%21Ash_Ketchum_BW.png
    20101227152658%21Black_White_Hilbert.png

20130630151708%21Ash_XY.png
    185px-XY_Calem.png

Ever wondered why the male PCs never appear on the show outside of minor cameos? Because Ash is literally filling in their role, hence him wearing their clothes.

(As an aside, this is likely also why the male PCs themselves have looked very boring and samey since Gen 4. They're basically being designed to be new outfits for Ash, so they all have to have Ash's color scheme and be at least somewhat based on Red, if not an outright clone of him.)

Back