• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite cross-gen evolutions

What are your favourite cross-gen evolutions?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen today
    Sometimes, a new generation would introduce an evolution to an already existing Pokemon. This is called a cross-gen evolution. For example, Onix, a Pokemon from Gen 1, gained an evolution in Gen 2, which is Steelix.

Now, what are your favourite cross-gen evolutions? (By the way, I didn't add Pikachu, Mr. Mime, etc. because they got a pre-evolution in later gens, and Eeveelutions because there's already a poll for them.)

Last edited:

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Favourite cross-gen evolutions
    This dude is the best I absolutely love Tangrowth. I think he's an amazing Pokémon with loads of potential uses in the competitive scene, a really cool design and I really loved it in the Pokémon Reborn PULSE machines.​

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • It was exciting when an existing Pokemon was given an evolution in later gens. I went for Scizor, Weavile, and Gallade.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Crobat, Steelix, Scizor, Kingdra, Roserade, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Weavile, Yanmega, Gallade, Probopass, and Froslass.

They've really done a fantastic job with designing most of the cross-gen evolutions imo.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Alright, so my favourites?

Crobat (Proved to be a massive asset to my HG and X nuzruns and is great as a whole)
    Mamoswine (Also great to use whenever I have one)
    Magmortar (Helped me deminish all sorts of tough opponents when I had one once)
    Tangrowth (I only added it to my Black 2 nuzrun team just to help out with the Water gym, but then it proved to be really good even outside the gym so it's here)
    Magnezone (Also had it in my X nuzrun and was great)

Honourable mentions go to: Steelix, Scizor, Gallade, Weavile, Porygon-Z, Togekiss, Electivire.
    Voted for all of them because why not.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • Cross-gen evolutions are one of my favorite things whenever we get a new generation, and it's something I've missed since Gen4 (no I don't count publicity stunt Sylveon). So instead of me stating my favorites (which I will do) this will just become a rant about cross-gen evolutions because I'm bored.

1) Eevee is a cool concept, but I don't really like it or it's evolutions. I'd have loved it a whole lot more if it actually got a new evolution every new region that was discovered. I get it would kind of lose it's feel after a while, but it would still be a really cool concept and something to look forward to every new generation.

2) I really like the concept of introducing Tyrogue.

3) Best thing about cross gen evos is giving life to older pokemon that had died. The main reason I love Gen4 is because it gave life back to older Pokemon that were basically useless, and yes whilst most of them still remain useless and I don't particularly like them (lickylicky and tangrowth) I still love them in a different way for giving a new light to some old pokemon.

4) I do get annoyed when people say stuff like "how can machoke be female??" etc so I get I am a little hypocritical in saying this, but I wish Gallade/Frosslass weren't cross-gens and were instead introduced in Gen 3 as gender based evos. It would make their evolution lines make a lot more sense, if female Ralts became Gardevoir/Gallade respectively, and the same for Snowrunt with Frosslass/Glailie. I'm not saying I have an issue when I see a male gardevoir, or a female glalile, but it just seems odd to me that gallade can only be male, and frosslass can only be female, yet their counterparts can be either gender. would make a lot more sense, and make them feel more counterparty if they were gender exclusives.

5) Best cross gens are Horsea line, Snorlax line, Poyrgon line,and Yanma line. Swinub line and slowpoke also flow in and out of here depending on how I feel

6) Togepi and Chansey line are in GOD TIER best cross gen evolutions.

Years
    • Seen today
    I really like the concept of introducing Tyrogue.
    Don't get me wrong, Tyrogue and Hitmontop are good in their own right, but I dislike Tyrogue's evolution method. It makes getting Hitmontop really tedious.

Best thing about cross gen evos is giving life to older pokemon that had died. The main reason I love Gen4 is because it gave life back to older Pokemon that were basically useless, and yes whilst most of them still remain useless and I don't particularly like them (lickylicky and tangrowth) I still love them in a different way for giving a new light to some old pokemon.
    I agree with you here for the most part, but I wouldn't call Tangrowth useless. It has high attacking stats and a really high Defense stat, so it can tank physical hits while dishing out a lot of damage in return. Lickilicky and Probopass are a different story, though.

Zero Break

The Horizon
    Years
  • Mine is a toss up between Scizor and Kingdra although glad to see one of them is leading the poll.

I love Crobat, Scizor, Kingdra, Gallade and Gliscor a lot.

Years
  • Generation Two had some really cool cross-gen evolutions, I hated the Zubat line but Crobat improved it significantly for me and Politoad, Sloking and Steelix are all great so I ended up voting for them four.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Voted for everything except for Crobat, Bellossom, Politoed, Slowking, and Ambipom. :P
    But if I were to pick a real favorite by a very small margin, I'd say when Porygon and Porygon2 evolve. The line itself is interesting, being made out of code and whatnot. Plus their battle animations are really fun, especially Porygon-Z.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Probopass is one of my favourite Pokemon. I didn't even like Nosepass until I sort of accidentally latched onto its evolution?? Now I love both of them a lot.

I've also come to really like Magnezone in recent years, and as a result, the rest of its line too. :D

Years
  • Kingdra is one of my favorites. Crobat will always have a special place in my heart because a shiny zubat was the first shiny I've ever gotten. The Crobat evolution is where the color really became noticeable.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My all time favorite is Steelix, but to be honest I've liked just about every cross generation evolution. That is, besides rhyperior which i pretend does not exist.

Back