• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Another one of those "Windows/Mac/Linux" comparison threads

Preferred OS?

• Total voters

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • Reviving this...let's see if people still prefer the same OS or if anyone has any different opinions about it. :P

Simple questions, really. Which Operating System do you prefer? Why do you prefer it & what is it that you like about it? Which OS do you like the least?

I don't want to start a rivalry or anything, just a discussion regarding everyone's opinions towards their preferred OS. Discuss away!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've always used Windows as my main OS, but after giving OS X around a week of non-stop use, thanks to not having the installation media for Windows 7 ready when I wiped my MacBook Air, I find OS X to be just as good as Windows.

Windows still has an edge when it comes to running applications and games, especially when you consider that games generally run faster in Windows.

Years
  • I have only really used Windows just because that is what i'm most comfortable with, and it runs games a bit faster than other OS's. Linux is nice but not for me. Now, I have only really used Mac's OS when I was borrowing my brother's Mac, so I don't know too much about it, but from I could see, it was the most user friendly OS. Linux and Mac are nice, yet Windows has just a bit more...err....STUFF'...yeah...

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • My preferred OS is OS X. I've used it for years and I'm very eel versed in it. I do tend to run windows in virtual machines, but for me the simplicity of OS X just can't be beat.

Years
  • This is a very difficult decision for me to decide upon, but I chose Windows only because it's the OS platform that I have the most experience with. If I could chose a second one, I would say Linux because I can work with most builds of a Linux-based OS since they're free and open-sourced.

Also, I do have experience with Mac OSX as well, kinda. This past year, I've edited videos for TV production class using Final Cut Pro, and usually I can learn how to use a new OS fairly easily and quickly. ;)

Years
  • I've still yet to fully try out OSX so I'll be leaving that out of my comparison, but I prefer Linux. It just seems to work so much better with my computer than Windows does. Admittedly my computer right now is a netbook so that could be swaying my opinion, but Linux has allowed my computer to do things that I couldn't do with Windows. For example, I often play minecraft and on my Windows partition I run at about 9fps on a good day but when I switch over to my Linux partition I can get a comfortable 20fps out of it.
    There's also the whole open sourced and free thing. I honestly doubt I would've tried out Linux if it weren't free. The same would apply to windows had I not been brought up on it.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've still yet to fully try out OSX so I'll be leaving that out of my comparison, but I prefer Linux. It just seems to work so much better with my computer than Windows does. Admittedly my computer right now is a netbook so that could be swaying my opinion, but Linux has allowed my computer to do things that I couldn't do with Windows. For example, I often play minecraft and on my Windows partition I run at about 9fps on a good day but when I switch over to my Linux partition I can get a comfortable 20fps out of it.
    There's also the whole open sourced and free thing. I honestly doubt I would've tried out Linux if it weren't free. The same would apply to windows had I not been brought up on it.

Ever tried out running Windows 7 for a change? Despite what you might think of it, it actually runs on netbooks pretty well.

Years
  • Ever tried out running Windows 7 for a change? Despite what you might think of it, it actually runs on netbooks pretty well.

Windows 7 was the original OS for this netbook. I tried both the starter edition it came with and upgraded it to premium and both of those lagged compared to the Linux distro I'm using now.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021

Windows 7 was the original OS for this netbook. I tried both the starter edition it came with and upgraded it to premium and both of those lagged compared to the Linux distro I'm using now.

Since the laptop shipped with it preinstalled, why not try starting it over from a blank slate? Chances are it's OEM crapware.

I actually managed to give new life to an anemic 2007 laptop by replacing Vista with 7 and not XP.

Netbooks usually have anemic CPUs, so I would strongly recommend you not to use Google Chrome when browsing the web with a netbook. Use IE9 or FF instead for the chance that Direct2D works on the GPU.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Ever tried out running Windows 7 for a change? Despite what you might think of it, it actually runs on netbooks pretty well.
    Windows 7 runs okay on netbooks with a little more beef in their CPU. You know, those 1.9 - 2.1 GHz ones that have just started to spring up. Other than that David is right, Windows 7 is pretty pathetic (trust me, I've seen it) on a netbook. As for myself, I'll go right ahead and say Linux - I enjoy the feeling of freedom, and there's just so much more you can do with it. Windows 7, for the first time since Windows XP, is usable, but I don't like it. As for OS X it seems really good, but I haven't really seen enough of it to make a fair decision.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021

Windows 7 runs okay on netbooks with a little more beef in their CPU. You know, those 1.9 - 2.1 GHz ones that have just started to spring up. Other than that David is right, Windows 7 is pretty pathetic (trust me, I've seen it) on a netbook. As for myself, I'll go right ahead and say Linux - I enjoy the feeling of freedom, and there's just so much more you can do with it. Windows 7, for the first time since Windows XP, is usable, but I don't like it. As for OS X it seems really good, but I haven't really seen enough of it to make a fair decision.

I've always wondered how the app compatiblity situation is in Linux. Although Linux is pretty light in general, it isn't the most efficient kernel around. When your computer is multithreaded, the NT kernel has an edge - it was designed for multi-processor processing since the beginning.

Going with Linux on a netbook is fine, but you might find the overhead of using a virtualization layer to run Windows apps a chore. I prefer native solutions for the most part, and to be frank, I could never see using a Linux machine for any reasonable amount of time as long as the apps aren't there. There's a reason why I find OS X to be fine...

Years
  • I've always loved Windows and Windows XP only. No reason in specific, it just floats my boat the most. I suppose I really love the design of it and how easy it is to use. For me XP is in fact more user friendly than MAC and Windows 7 as I have given those a try as well and my least favorite OS would be MAC cause I simply didn't like it >.>'

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Mac OS X please! But anything pre-Leopard, I'll have to go with Windows.

I don't like Linux all that much.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I haven't used Linux much. I've mostly just VM'd it in Windows while programming for assignments for schools and messed up somewhere so I couldn't change the resolution of it so that did not go very well and tarnished my opinion of it. My brother tosses linux on my netbook while he was borrowing it recently, though, and I've been meaning to give it a try more natively since then. Just haven't gotten around to it. I think now that I've been using UNIX more actively I'll come around no problem.

So the debate for me is between OSX and Windows and I have to say that I prefer Windows by a landslide. I probably use OSX more because it's on the MBP I inherited from my roommate and I tend to use the laptop more because it lets me actually socialize with my roommates (my desktop is in my room in the basement :P). The only thing I really like about it is the gestures and everything else frustrates me to no end. I just can't really get the hang of it, I never know where anything is, and I find it hangs or freezes on me a lot more than any other OS I've used except Windows ME. I don't find the OS intuitive at all and so many things just bother me about it. A lot of things are smaller issues like my dislike for the way the Japanese IME parses things in OSX and other things still are issues with Macs themselves than OSX (though I think it's still kind of a fair issue because it's technically illegal to install OSX on anything that isn't a Mac...).

My favourite OS is Windows 7. I love everything about it and find it much easier to be (generally) productive in it. Everything is very intuitive for me and I've never had a problem with it. It even ran really well on my netbook when I still used it. :P Better than XP did, to be honest. (And my netbook was not very impressive specs-wise, iirc.)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I've used a bit of Linux for school in a computer. I don't remember what variant it was. It was okay. Seemed a bit clunky and not that user friendly. Some stuff would pop up on the screen and I would be unable close it. Also found it difficult to navigate and launch programs. And it would shut off at random. Not fun.

I hated Windows 7 at first, but I've ... adjusted as I use it more. It's fine. I prefer XP to 7 I don't like 7's UI. Even when not using the transparency effect. Nothing is where you think it should be and everything is bulk (in size, XP visually is bulkier but slimmer in size) Didn't use Vista.

I love my Mac. Super intuitive and user friendly. Biggest complaint is that if you have a Windows niche app you want to run, you're out of luck trying to find an alternative. Turning to Wine is just clunky at best. Mac is better than Windows for me... until you get to something that Mac doesn't do. :\ Then you're wishing for Windows XD

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Wow, I can't believe I am the first, to say this but my favorite is Windows Vista. I have XP Professional, XP Home, vista home premium, vista 8, and 7, installed on a variety of my computers. My favorite by far is vista, though I might be a lone wolf.

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • Personally I've used Windows XP, Vista, 7,Linux Ubuntu and Isadora and Mac OS X. Windows 7 has been my favourite so far since it's been able to do what I need my computer to do. Gaming !
    WINE is quite nice on Linux for running windows applications but it never seemed to work for me when it came to installing games.
    I like the look and feel of OS X since I've tried it out and some of the mac only software is pretty neat such as Iphoto.
    Windows 7 is my main O/S strictly for gaming and it does what I need my computer to do. It's a big step up from Windows XP which was my usuall O/S since I didn't want Vista.
    I'm surprised that NarutoActor said her favourite O/S is Vista since I've never really liked it myself. I always felt it was too heavy on the RAM usage, with clunky start ups and such. Also the benefit of DirectX 10 from 9 didn't seem like a massive improvement (which vista offered).

Depending on the Netbook I wouldn't exactly advise using Windows 7 and I'd just stick with Windows XP.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I've only ever used Windows regularly, so when I say that I prefer Windows to Mac or Linux, I'm speaking out of inexperience with the other two. I've never used Linux and the times I've had with Mac OS weren't the best, to say the least. Besides, there are a ton of programs I use which are exclusive to Windows.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Mac OS X is my favourite. It drops some compatibility against Windows and doesn't game as well but, for my uses, I don't see any drawbacks of it otherwise. I've always found I can just work with it quicker and more comfortably. In my experience, Windows has a tendency to behave oddly on occasion for no clear reason - an issue I never experienced under OS X. Usually it's just minor hiccups but they're really annoying. However, OS X does have a huge grating issue for me. My favourite release of it, Leopard, is lacking in the App Store application which is key for getting some of the things I use all the time. Fortunately, Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion are both wonderful, although I wouldn't spend long on a Mac running Lion, which I found to show the same issues as Windows with erratic behaviour at times.

On the Windows side of things, though, since I do have a sizeable Windows partition on my machine, XP is my favourite Windows OS. While it's not as pretty as Windows 7 is, I think it beats it in most other ways tbh. It's always seemed simpler, lighter, and more stable than Windows 7. For the sake of covering all of the OSs I've used, I think Vista is a joke.

As for Linux, I couldn't comment because I haven't used it very much.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2014
    Well, for me, I'd say Windows. Kinda because I've used it for many years and it's never let me down. And...many people just use Windows anyway, so I'd follow. For Mac OS X, I can't say a thing. I've almost never used it. And it's really expensive (it must be in an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air) Plus, you can't install it into a regular PC. For Linux, I've tried Ubuntu once. It was pretty great. It's light and it came bundled with lots of stuff...It already has the stuff that you'd actually have to download/buy yourself. And it's free as well. But still, not many software support it. If I get a notebook, I may as well install Ubuntu...I have no money to buy another Windows 7 OS. But if it came bundled with it (Windows), I'll just go with it. But I guess I'll always try to find the cheapest notebook.

Back