• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokémon Yellow - Gen. II Graphics Patch V1.1

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm tempted to start using these graphics on my hack. Any suggestion how could I implement all this without changing all I've done?
Drake, you used tools to make you hack, right?
As in, you didn't use the pokeyellow disassembly?
If you only used tools to edit a rom to make this hack, then there's no easy way to put the two hacks together.
You could always remake your hack using the pokeyellow disassembly. It's frustrating but not impossible. In 2013, I remade V1.2 of the Pokemon Red Gen II Graphics Hack (which was made entirely through hex editing) in the pokered disassembly which took me about 5 days, with many hours each day.

Although I'm not nearly as experienced as you guys, obviously. Still messing stuff up frequently. But, I got more than just Pikachu following, and she/he evolves by happiness now. Raichu can follow too. :3 But making the walking sprite change species is kind of a pain; it looks like there are two different methods for pikachu following, one indoors and one outdoors? Do you know anything about that? It's the outdoors one I'm having trouble with.
You shouldn't put yourself down. You've already done some impressive things.

What do you mean "two different methods"? I could help look into this for you.

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
Years
@Danny-E 33 Holy awesomesauce matee you finally done it!!!! I looking this improvement yellow version long time ago. Anyways before I play this my 1st question is it compatible in GBA mode!? 2nd question you intend not to include misty's portrait and sprite like you did in RED/BLUE?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Drake, you used tools to make you hack, right?
As in, you didn't use the pokeyellow disassembly?
If you only used tools to edit a rom to make this hack, then there's no easy way to put the two hacks together.
You could always remake your hack using the pokeyellow disassembly. It's frustrating but not impossible. In 2013, I remade V1.2 of the Pokemon Red Gen II Graphics Hack (which was made entirely through hex editing) in the pokered disassembly which took me about 5 days, with many hours each day.

You shouldn't put yourself down. You've already done some impressive things.

What do you mean "two different methods"? I could help look into this for you.
Ah, let's see if I can remember...
Okay, so, when I first wanted to change Pikachu's sprite, I simply looked for where it called PIKACHU_SPRITE. This led me to overworld/map_sprites.asm, and the routine LoadSpriteSetFromMapHeader and it looked like asking it to load based on a flag a different sprite should work. However when I modified it to alternatively call a Raichu sprite based on a flag, this ended up only working in some areas and not others.

I then went and looked at the sprite tables - there are a bunch of sprite tables for each outdoors map I think, and it looks like Pikachu is added to all of them. Modifying it, say replacing pikachu there with clefairy, led to being followed by that sprite in those areas instead. So my thought is that there must be two different methods for loading sprites in Yellow, based on whether you are indoors or outdoors, perhaps because outdoor sprites need to be able to change dynamically when you walk into the next area but indoor sprites do not as you only warp to new areas. I was hoping if you knew if that was the case or not. I haven't found a second routine that calls PIKACHU_SPRITE anywhere though.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
@Danny-E 33 Holy awesomesauce matee you finally done it!!!! I looking this improvement yellow version long time ago. Anyways before I play this my 1st question is it compatible in GBA mode!? 2nd question you intend not to include misty's portrait and sprite like you did in RED/BLUE?

It is not a GBA rom, but it will work on a GBA emulator that also supports GBC roms, such as VBA, as well as on a real GBA on a flashcart if the flashcart supports it.

Thanks for pointing out the Misty sprite.. Somehow I goofed. Not only did I forget to switch Misty's Yellow sprite to Misty's GSC sprite, I managed to replace it with Misty's Red/Blue sprite. I'll get this fixed and upload an update soon. Thanks for pointing it out!

Ah, let's see if I can remember...
Okay, so, when I first wanted to change Pikachu's sprite, I simply looked for where it called PIKACHU_SPRITE. This led me to overworld/map_sprites.asm, and the routine LoadSpriteSetFromMapHeader and it looked like asking it to load based on a flag a different sprite should work. However when I modified it to alternatively call a Raichu sprite based on a flag, this ended up only working in some areas and not others.

I then went and looked at the sprite tables - there are a bunch of sprite tables for each outdoors map I think, and it looks like Pikachu is added to all of them. Modifying it, say replacing pikachu there with clefairy, led to being followed by that sprite in those areas instead. So my thought is that there must be two different methods for loading sprites in Yellow, based on whether you are indoors or outdoors, perhaps because outdoor sprites need to be able to change dynamically when you walk into the next area but indoor sprites do not as you only warp to new areas. I was hoping if you knew if that was the case or not. I haven't found a second routine that calls PIKACHU_SPRITE anywhere though.

Oh right, of course.

Your assumptions are pretty much correct.
All outdoor maps are assigned a sprite set. These sprites in a sprite set are the only sprites available once the map is loaded.
Indoor maps aren't given a sprite set. Instead, they basically load sprites "on demand".

To fix outdoor maps, you should tweak the end of the "InitOutsideMapSprites:" routine in engine/overworld/map_sprites.asm
That routine currently contains these lines:
Code:
	ld c, a
	ld b, 0
	ld a, (wSpriteSetID - wSpriteSet)
	ld hl, SpriteSets
	call AddNTimes ; get sprite set offset
	ld de, wSpriteSet
	ld bc, (wSpriteSetID - wSpriteSet)
	call CopyData ; copy it to wSpriteSet
	call LoadMapSpriteTilePatterns
where register a contains the sprite set id minus 1.
After CopyData is called, [wSpriteSet] contains the value SPRITE_PIKACHU (because every single sprite set begins with SPRITE_PIKACHU).

So after the call to CopyData and before the call to LoadMapSpriteTilePatterns, you could add a few lines of code that checks to see if the player has Raichu and if so, overwrite the value at wSpriteSet with a different sprite id.

If you have any more questions on this, feel free to send me a pm or join our irc.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 14, 2018
Looks great! One question, does this hack include all 151 pokemon? I see a screen shot with a complete pokedex, but you've repeated that there's no change to story, so I'm curious...

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 29, 2021
Hey, Danny, impressive work, man. Unbelievable

I mean to ask you, I am doing a yellow hack myself, and I've went a long way, already.. story, stats, maps... but these sprites and the xp bar, nice! I was wondering maybe you could show me how to do the same changes on my rom?
I wouldn't just take your rom and re-do my changes out of it, unless you were cool with it.

Alucard1989pl

Brave Lucas
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
How can i edit Market items with MartEdit GB after this patch in clear ROM?.

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey, Danny, impressive work, man. Unbelievable

I mean to ask you, I am doing a yellow hack myself, and I've went a long way, already.. story, stats, maps... but these sprites and the xp bar, nice! I was wondering maybe you could show me how to do the same changes on my rom?
I wouldn't just take your rom and re-do my changes out of it, unless you were cool with it.
I'm really sorry for taking over a year to respond.
You can always PM me or find me on Discord and I'll gladly help you with stuff like this.

How can i edit Market items with MartEdit GB after this patch in clear ROM?.
Rather than editing the binary ROM with old tools like MartEdit GB, you should clone a copy of the source code from here: https://github.com/dannye/pokeyellow-gen-II
And then you can edit the mart items from here: https://github.com/dannye/pokeyellow-gen-II/blob/master/data/items/marts.asm

ARCEUS493ZELDA

ArcBolt27
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
i apologize if this was already asked/answered but any clue if this patch is compatible with pokemon yellow 151?

Years
i apologize if this was already asked/answered but any clue if this patch is compatible with pokemon yellow 151?

hi.

I recently registered here and I have tested the Gen 2 hack with pokemon yellow 151 in the latest version of the BGB emulator on my Win10 computer and it seemed to work.

though the only problem I found with just the yellow gen 2 graphics hack is that the game crashes (soft-locks) after entering the small beach house on Route 19 (south of Fuchsia City) where the pikachu beach surfing minigame is held. avoid going inside that small house on Route 19 and things will be okay. that game crashing problem I was able to easily reproduce on the BGB, TGB dual, VBA/VBA-M emulators on my PC. other than that, this graphics hack is great.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Was the route 19 Beach house bug ever fixed? I basically just want 151 hack and graphics hack. Every other pokemon yellow themed hack I've come across is either incomplete or glitchy.

darthbr

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
How to fix focus energy critical hit and pokemon types, like, ghost is strong against psych etc?

i have many ideas done, just those 2 waiting

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Any chances the bug at the beach house can be fixed? If not, then is it possible to just outright block entrance to the house? I can't tell you how many times I play through this and forget about the bug then lose 2 to 3 hours of progress because I only save when I'm about to close the game....

Back