• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever lost to a wild encounter?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • We've probably all been there. We're just going through the grass, or a cave, or wherever, when a wild Pokemon pops out. You probably think "Oh hey, this should be easy, it's only a wild Pokemon" and believe you can easily KO it for some free EXP, or flee. Turns out, you can't flee, and shockingly, it's completely decimating your team, or worse, you end up losing - against a wild Pokemon. The longer you've been playing, the more humiliating it can get, especially if your team can handle it.

Have any of you guys lost against a wild Pokemon? I probably might have, but I can't really remember.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • Rarely nowadays but in earlier generations yes, while poisoned trying to get to a pokecenter

Years
    • Online now
    I've had my team defeated by wild legendaries.

I could defeat them, by my focus is usually on catching them.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    They only manage to that because they hit me when I'm already almost down, aka going through a route full of annoying trainers.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    Yes, but it's typically when I'm training a bunch of weak pokemon. I'll have the exp share on and head to an area with somewhat strong pokemon, and only have 1 decent level pokemon with me so that I can train more pokemon at once. If that pokemon goes down, the other pokemon have no chance.

Years
  • Not as far as I know, I think. I believe there were a few times where I was close, but I don't recall ever outright blacking out.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • If wild legendaries count then yes. I had my entire team knocked out multiple times when I was trying to catch Rayquaza on Pok?mon Emerald.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It?s happened but usually under extreme conditions in older games. Stuck in a cave or a secluded map of some sort with a half dead team, poison taking effect, or running into trainer after trainer and then finally encountering a wild mon that I couldn?t escape from.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Yes, when I first started playing. I got lost in Rock Tunnel because I couldn't find Flash. I found my way through and then lost to the guy right in front of Lavender Town.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • No, I have never been swept by a wild Pokemon. I think you are far more likely to mess up by accidentally knocking out a pokemon that you are trying to catch, than lose to the pokemon. A wild pokemon's levels are just not going to usually be high enough to tear through an entire team. Also, even in the worst case scenario, the lead Pokemon might not be able to escape, surely somebody on the team would be fast and able to run away. The other thing is that I am a packrat. Every pokedollar I get goes to stuffing my bag with potions, repels and other useful items. I usually even have a couple of pokedolls. So changing the outcome of the battle would just be one click of a button.

Years
  • I don't think I've ever been swept by a wild Pokemon, but I do remember on more than one occasion losing at least one Pokemon versus wild Pokemon in Fire Red. I've had at least one Pokemon taken out by a Diglett or Dugtrio with Magnitude in Diglett's Cave, and have been stuck up against Wobbuffet while training weaker Pokemon in Cerulean Cave.

Plenty of legendaries have wiped out a few of my Pokemon, too (as recently as Necrozma in USUM), but I guess those aren't really the same kind of wild encounters.

Fami

Gary was here, Ash is a loser
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 21, 2018
    All the time when I was a kid. I... did not know how to play. I basically brute-forced my way through Emerald and then again through Fire Red.

Nowadays it doesn't really happen unless I'm training a full party of weaker Pokemon.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • From what I recall, yes.

I use to lose quite a bit when I was younger, but not so much now. The last time was about a month ago, but I was being stubborn by not using a potion or switching out in time. I was up against a Legendary in the Wormhole.

Years
  • Behold the Order 66 to my Jedi Order...

Spoiler:

Play Pokemon Emerald, they said. It'll be fun, they said. It was a NIGHTMARE. And I don't use capitalised letters lightly, my friends. It was a series of consecutive defeats and I still wear the scars.

Last edited:
    Back