• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Musicals

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • Wasn't sure whether to put this in OT or E&M, feel free to move

Have you been to any musicals? What was your favourite that you've seen? What musicals do you want to see?

I saw The Book of Mormon the other day and fuaaaa so good so funny

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My favorite musical is The Nightmare Before Christmas. I don't think a live version of it ever happened, but the cast did get together to sing songs from the movie at the Hollywood Bowl.

The only one I've seen live is Little Shop of Horrors, and I also liked that one.

Years
  • I have seen Annie Get your Gun and I have also seen an opera but I didn't know the name of it and I was just a kid when I saw it. I have also watched The Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd, and The Nightmare Before Christmas musical excerpts on Youtube.

Last edited:

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    i saw book of mormon and hamilton in nyc with my family i used 2 be a theater nerd back in the day but i dont rly care for it anymore

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • I had the chance to watch The Book of Mormon when I was in London. I regret not taking it. I've only seen The Lion King, which itself was absolutely incredible though and absolutely recommend.

High up on the list I'd like to see is Show Boat, Dreamgirls, Kinky Boots and Les Mis.

Years
  • I've only been to two professional grade musicals, both on Broadway when I was 16. Those were The Pirate Queen and Spring Awakening. I have posters for both, but Spring Awakening was better and more memorable. It was also in a more intimate theatre, too. The Pirate Queen was at what was then the Hilton Theatre while Spring Awakening was at the much more intimate Eugene O'Neill Theatre. I also have a signed poster for Spring Awakening, which I think is signed largely by the original Broadway cast.

I don't have any plans to go to any further musicals, but that's just because they're expensive.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Definitely E&M. /moves

I've only been to Chess and a few Swedish musicals. Chess was majestic. I like watching them on TV too, recently I saw Mamma Mia :) for the first time haha

Didn't much enjoy Les Mis though, it was just.... 110% singing which was pretty weird.

Years
  • Yes, I have seen quite a few musicals live on Broadway, The Lion King, The Phantom of the Opera, Chicago. Because musicals are a real passion of mine I have collected a house full of footage from live shows both historical and current courtesy of dfferent trading sites.

Picking a favorite musical is very hard. It is probably Camelot. I really like the 1980 Broadway revival Richard Harris, Meg Bursett and Richard Muenez. My favorite composer is definitely Stephen Sondheim however. His scores are so intricate and beautiful behind what would appear to be fairly simple melodies. You can really hear the influences of classical conposition heavily in his work, which is bot surprising considering that Rodger's and Hammerstein mentored him. I also love Sondheim's subtle understanding of human nature and his wit. Unfortunately, none of the movie adaptations capture the magic of his text, as often happens with the film adaptations of musicals today. No Johnny Depp Sweeney Todd for me! I'll hang back with Brian Stokes Mitchell or Len Cariou instead thanks!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Not a live musical, but I've seen The Greatest Showman this past Saturday, and I cannot get rid of the songs off my head. It's not accurate historically, but that's okay, it wasn't meant to be.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Not a live musical, but I've seen The Greatest Showman this past Saturday, and I cannot get rid of the songs off my head. It's not accurate historically, but that's okay, it wasn't meant to be.

Aw I watched this last night and it was amazing. Last week after I watched The Book of Mormon those songs were always on repeat, this week it's songs from The Greatest Showman.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Aw I watched this last night and it was amazing. Last week after I watched The Book of Mormon those songs were always on repeat, this week it's songs from The Greatest Showman.

Very addictive! Fiance and I are giving it another go next weekend actually.

Back