• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Mew

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Pokemon_RBY_Wild_Mew.jpg

Believe it or not, Mew was not planned to be programmed in the game. It was just intended to be as a joke from one of the developers, so that only Game Freak staff members would know about and be able to obtain that pokemon. But of course, thanks to a well known glitch at Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, players soon found out about Mew too!

The glitch itself though, was pretty tricky.. you'd have to battle this trainer with a slowpoke, then fly to Lavender towards a gambler, BUT you're not supposed to battle the gamer - you're supposed to take one step towards him, then press start immediately to fly. Soon you'd have to go back to Lavender where the start menu 'pops up', then when you close iit, Mew will be encountered. But there's also a lot of different versions of this method with different trainers and locations.

Or.. something like that, I don't really remember that much, but, it was a glitch! Haha. Once you've gotten mew, you'll find out that Mew can learn every single move in the entire game, making it.. versatile, to say the least!

In any case, did you ever obtain Mew, or knew about Mew during your playthrough of Pokemon Blue and Red? What do you think of this mysterious 151th pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2021
    I'm gonna try it for the first time today. Is it difficult to catch like early in the game? Does it have the catch rate of Mewtwo or the birds?

EDIT: Man, it's funny you posted this today since today is the first time I ever tried this glitch. Mew was easier to catch than Abra was hahaha

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've never captured Mew but I have defeated it alot of times with my Mewtwo. Apparently, my Mewtwo was stronger than all of the boys from school who had a Mew and I remember my level 100 Mewtwo defeated a level 150 Mew.

Years
  • I saw Mew as a legend and never really gave much thought to the truck glitch, since I assumed it was just a made-up story. THEN I tried it for the first time in Yellow when it came out for VC last year and whoa did that feel awesome. Using Mew on my team for the first time, yas <3

Years
  • I remember stumbling upon a video on how to catch Mew after I discovered Youtube. I ended up catching Mew successfully using the glitch, and added it to the party. I loved using it on my team, it's pretty powerful.

Years
  • I knew about Mew when I was young, but never tried to do the glitch, even though I learned some background about it. Like why is it exactly THAT trainer or how to use same glitch to get any Pokemon at any level.
    I feel like doing the glitch and getting Mew would ruin the run for me.

Guest123_x1

The first time I got Mew was in my Virtual Console playing of Yellow a few months ago, using the Mew glitch. I nicknamed it 'Illegal' since I know that Mew glitch Pokémon can't be transported over to Pokémon Bank.

I had heard about Mew early on in my time doing Pokémon, mainly through the first movie. I remember all the gaming magazines saying that it could only be obtained legally through Nintendo-sponsored events.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    So you know the rumor where near the SS Anne there was a truck, and if you could move it mew was underneath. There's an Easter egg to do with this in S/M and US/UM. There are tons of unmovable trucks everywhere. Probs a bit useless here's a unown. :t201-h:

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    I did the Mew glitch last time I played Yellow all the way through a few years ago. It was a little time consuming because it was drug out over so many stages of the game, but it at least mixed up the playthrough and made it more interesting.

Back