• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal: Revival of the Ask PC Column

Years
  • Hello there, it's a pleasure to be able to work with the Daily Staff now. :)

Anyways, as I was flipping through the various sections of Daily, I stumbled across the Ask PC column, and notice that it had been well over a year now since the last post there. I think it's a great idea to be able to feature members of the community more as a means of outreach from us, so I was wondering what you guys would think if we could get that ball rolling again.

Now I'm not entirely sure on the theme/purpose of the original intent to the column, but I was perhaps thinking that we could perhaps go out and continue asking strings of questions like "what are your favorite features of X game" or maybe ask the users what they think of Ash Ketchum in the anime.

Maybe I have the wrong idea about Ask PC here, but I figure that it'd be a nice way we could reach out into the community, and perhaps as a way for me as well to enjoy working with y'all!

Thoughts?

Years
  • I just went back to see it, and it looked like a nice feature of Daily. We can ask questions about current events like Sun/Moon or upcoming events.

Years
  • Oh, I didn't realize Ben tried this for the YouTube channel as well.

Either way, I want to give this a shot! If turnout isn't so great, I could perhaps give it a buzz to the social media team to help promote it, or perhaps start out in some of the more active Pok?mon sections here. :)

So is this a go then?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, but that's not for Daily. =p I'm fine with turning videos into articles (as said many times before) but this was not yet something planned for Daily.
    So is this a go then?
    For it to be a go it needs approval from two other Daily staff members. I do have some things to raise first though.

Firstly, there have been a mixture of articles getting member opinions on things, so the idea isn't that new and has been done since over a year ago. (The very first articles were actually a series of articles on this to tie to the 20th anniversary). We've had a bunch of articles in this series by colours (https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2016/08/26/colourful-thoughts-whats-next-for-alola/ and see the list at the top right of it for more), but she's on leave (at least) and I guess articles written by other people may need a different name? In hindsight a less restrictive series name will be ideal in case other people write such articles...

The main thing is to decide what sort of things you want to ask members about for each article. General gaming questions? Opinion on recent news? Etc. We can do this as a separate pitch each time a new article is wanted. Then is organisation, or how to get the opinions to begin with. I know colours often PM'd people for their thoughts but I feel maybe making a discussion thread in the relevant section to get the opinions first is better as that way you're making activity for the forum at the same time as getting content for the article.

Lastly, this is quite a tangent but I feel we should revive the interview series finally. (Or Daily Expose: e.g. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2016/05/12/daily-expose-visualjae/) That article in particular got a good chunk of views and interviewing not only people on PC who make fanworks (fan games, fics, art, etc) but people outside doing neat works to do with Pokemon should be something we explore further imo. But these articles are elss about people's thoughts about x thing and more about how they make their fanwork, etc.

Years
  • I was simply looking through here, and saw the idea of perhaps bringing out a revival, since that was last updated over a year ago. Additionally, I wasn't aware that Angie had actually asked the community for thoughts in her columns like that either.

Basic questions relevant to features of the game were what I was thinking, like "What are your thoughts on Triple/Rotation battles" or maybe something along the lines of "What do you think of dodging?" in the P! Anime section.

If this seems like something that runs dry, then I guess so be it.

As for that interview series, I definitely like that idea as well. We could perhaps talk to the game devs and/or ROM hackers here on PC as well, or roleplayers, artists and/or writers too!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Now that I looked at Zach's latest link, I actually liked that series of getting the community involved and answering the questions that we ask the community as a whole.

Then again, for some articles we would ask the community for their thoughts and opinions. lol

Kinda missed it when Matt did his PC interview series on his blog. I figured it would be a great way for us to showcase the creativity and the amazingness that PC has to offer when it comes to our members. We have great people who are involved in the creative side as well as on the fandom side.

Years
  • So could I please get more thoughts on this, then? So far it only has one +1 and I really want to see this go through :(

Also, maybe to add on further to my proposal, I could perhaps start out with one of the example questions above, and then when the article gets published, I could welcome the members to suggest future questions as well, credit given. :)

Years
  • Since Angie was on leave, that's mainly why I figured I could help out with continuation of opinion pieces, really! I like the example from Ars Technica that Jake posted above as well.

So is my idea just too complicated? I've noticed that all of y'all have questions (except for gimmie), and aren't necessarily +1ing it. I'll admit that I am not the best with ideas, but I want to do my best to help get the fans involved in Daily to my best extent.

Years
  • Honestly though, my whole purpose was to perhaps continue the opinion pieces and take them over, not necessarily to try and start something new that would be redundant.

As for Daily Expose, I guess I could give that a look at and make a new thread there.

Back