• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever drastically changed your opinions on a Pokémon game since its launch?

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    If you have, which games? Why?

Personally, when ORAS came out I wasn't hyped. Hoenn was my least favourite region and had my least favourite pokémon. That was the case for 4 years until last week. Initially I played OR but recently had a random craving to play it again. I'd sold OR after beating it. So I got myself a copy of AS to play, wondering if the minor differences were enough to convince me - which to my surprise it did! My favourite pokémon from an otherwise lackluster generation were all in AS and my least favourites were in OR. Not to mention team aqua were much more enjoyable and the subtle difference really changed my opinion. Initially I thought ORAS to be my least favourite games of the last few gens (basically since gen III itself) but now I really really love them and think they gave the originals the treatment they deserve.

So what about you guys? Did you have any major changes of opinion on PKMN games? Even spinoffs and mobile games too?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Even though I had nobody to play with I used to like Go. Now though, I don't, even though my 6S works as fast as it did the day I got it, Go has become even more of a buggy mess, and takes forever to load on wi-fi, let alone 4G. Every update seems to cause a temp bug where nothing on the map loads.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Gen IV. I struggled to get into it and it took me FOREVER to beat initially because I simply wasn't interested. I'm replaying it now as part of my Fire Monotype challenge and I'm actually really enjoying it.

I think it may have had to do with it being the successor to Gen III which is without a doubt my all time favorite generation. I was probably a little bit let down at the time of release, but playing it now it's been much more enjoyable.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I use to love gen iv, now I don't. It's overrated and sluggish. It and gen vii are pokemon that I have a lot of problem with, namely for gen iv the cross gen evolutions. Ever since then people are clamoring for more evolution and GF will eventually give in and pander to those vocal people and ruin good pokemon designs just because they have weak stats instead of buffing them up in the first place. Komala, Dunsparce, Delibird and a lot more are fine as they are, they just need buffs in some way like Megas to keep up with the tier pandering of the newer generations.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I used to be so hyped for Gen VII. Then I suppose other people's opinions changed my own opinion on it.

I was also hyped for X and Y back in the day, but I didn't have a 3DS then so I was like "forget it". I guess I'm glad I didn't get it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2019
    I absolutely adored HG/SS during Gen IV, and I clocked in so much time on it, but looking back on it, I can't stand those games anymore. Everything about it is so tedious, I can't get through the game without using a few Action Replay codes.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Strangely, no. Once I've formed an opinion on the games, it usually doesn't change. Which happens quickly with Pokemon.

I thought HeartGold and SoulSilver were too hard. Then I played a few years later where I could speed up the grinding with an emulator, and it wasn't that difficult anymore.

Years
  • I remember feeling pretty meh about Emerald when it first came out, since I didn't buy into the idea of third versions like Crystal before it. Went into it not expecting much, and came out of it with a new favorite game in the series.

On the flip side, I was overly hyped for ORAS, and while they weren't bad games, I don't think they lived up to the expectations I had set for them. If they gave us Emerald's Battle Frontier, I would've clocked over 500 hours into it easily, not just 50.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I was honestly really hyped for X/Y when they were first announced, and now I absolutely detest those games. Many things about it just killed my enjoyment: ie, mega evolutions, the terrible story, stupid evil team, barely any post game, and etc. I just ended up having too many problems with it. =/

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    My relationship with the gen 2 games (and also their respective remakes) has been going up and down akin to a roller coaster. I started loving gen 2 back in the day and spend an incredible amount of time playing through Gold and Crystal, grinding like crazy, filling boxes over boxes with level 100 Pokemon.

Later on I started disliking the games mostly due to me realizing how empty the postgame (aka Kanto) was. That somewhat dragged down my enjoyment of them and likewise I somewhat started a lowkey hate towards them (especially amplyfied due to how many people seem to really love the games always pointing to how "great" their postgame is).
    It did regain quite a bit of my appreciation at the time when I started thinking about balancing and I tried to figure out how balancing was applied to gen 2. Ironically, it was the "terrible" leveling curve, the thing everyone hated, that I started really liking about the games.

My current stance:
    - gen 2 postgame = terrible
    - gen 2 balancing = awesome
    - gen 2 remakes = tried to improve a couple things, but took away some freedom/exploration options that I really liked in the originals

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Come to think of it, years back I was almost having no interests in Pok?mon gaming until I decided to buy Pok?mon Y and played it because I want to start fresh, considering I have played Pok?mon X before. Granted, my main opinion on X/Y was kinda neutral that time, but when I'm replaying the game and talking with Shauna in-game, notably on Prism Tower, I begin to rethink and started to get interested in Pok?mon gaming all over again. Since then, Pok?mon X and Y is one of my turning points in Pok?mon gaming.

On the other side though, I used to enjoy playing Pok?mon Shuffle in my 3DS a lot, but as some events come and go, I started to think that it's way too much than I could handle, so I almost never touched Pok?mon Shuffle ever again after that :frown:

I used to be hyped on Pok?mon Sun and Moon games and enjoyed them, but some certain in-game events changed my mind to the point I stopped playing it nowadays.

Last edited:
    Back