Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

Old July 15th, 2017 (6:55 PM).
^ is celebrating something special today

Basically what the title says. Please do not try to harass other forum users because you think differently from them, otherwise I might have request to close the topic.

Anyway, here are things that I personally find to be overrated:

Bisharp - Don't like Bisharp, sorry. Never had the patience to evolve one, and never found it strong enough to make up for that. Yet everyone seems to like it. I mean, I don't hate it, I just don't think it deserves the praise it gets lol.

Noivern - I just find it to be.....blah. I mean, nothing wrong with it, but again, I've never understood why it's praised so much.

Kommo-o - It's sad, really. I was really looking forward to seeing a Dragon/Fighting mon, but it ended up not being as interesting as I expected. It isn't terrible, sure, but it really isn't particularly great either. And why is it part Fighting anyway? It looks more Steel or Psychic than Fighting.

Brionne - Look, I used to really like this thing okay? But then Primarina got reavealled and everyone said it was a downgrade from this fat blue thing. Is that so? Now, I just find it to be an awkward middle stage between Primarina being badass/cute and Popplio being cute. I do not like this thing.

Banette - Also doesn't deserve the praise it gets. I've always found it to be laughably weak and it's backstory doesn't impress me. Of course it's mega fixes things by being really good and useful in battle, but I've never liked using the mon itself.

Now for the underated mons:

90% inanimate objects - I mean, don't get me wrong animal mons are great too, but sometimes they are just simply what they are based off and nothing else(cough cough Rattata cough cough) which I consider to be worse. I think inanimate object designs aren't that bad, most of them are creative or useful to me. Most of the inanimate object mons I don't care for isn't because of theire designs. There is, of course, one single inanimate object I just can't stand for being one, but thats another story.

Palossand - The pre evo is a massive pain to raise sure, but once you get past that, this thing is worth it. Monstrous defenses, great offenses, makes use of it's STABs well, and surprisingly decent coverage. Also my favourite Ground mon.

Crabombinable - I can see why some people might not like it, but I personally like how adorkably derpy it is :D.

And that's all I can think of for now, will probably add more if I can think of more. I apologise in advance to anybody who got offended here, I tried to be civil.

-----
    I'm not in a Nuzrun mood right now but you can feel free to check out my Nuzrun stuff nevertheless.
    -----
    Ash is obnoxious, hideous, a bad character, and the worst trainer. I will do anything to murder him.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:16 AM).

Rogue of Void

Nature: Sassy
    Overrated: Ultra Beasts. Sure, they are useful in competition, but most of their design look lazy to me, and don't seem to fit in the Pokémon universe at all

Underrated: Litwick line. I agree with the above for innanimate objects. I don't like a lot of them but the Litwick line to me is mysterious, creepy, has good typing and awesome colouring both Shiny and Non-Shiny.

jakejanedirkcalliope
    but i think u mean batterwitch thugs
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:42 AM).

Nature: Hardy
      Overrated: Greninja. I mean, it's a cool 'Mon, but there's no reason why it had to be so privileged over Chesnaught and Delphox.

Underrated: Trubbish/Garbodor, but there is a small, but dedicated fanclub for the line!!
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:12 AM).

dorks

• Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
      Overrated - Greninja & Charizard. Said this before but I just don't see the hype of these two and there are many other starters that are much better imo.

Underrated - Vanillite line is my favourite of the Unova Pokémon yet I see so much dislike towards it just because of what the design is based off. It is such a useful Ice-type for any team and when using it in my White Playthrough it helped me out in so many tricky situations.
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:51 AM).
      Queen Lily of Edenia

Nature: Gentle
        Overrated

Luxray - It's got a solid design but is nothing special in battle. I used it recently and it was underwhelming to say the least.

Flygon - It's unfortunate that Dragon/Ground got overshadowed by Garchomp but Flygon has always struck me as a middle evolution.

Lucario - Lucario is a cool Pokemon and very useful in battle but is overexposed.

Zoroark - So many great Pokemon in Gen 5 and they chose to highlight this. At least Zorua is cute.

Underrated

Vileplume - A cute Pokemon which was very useful in my Grass Monotypes. Outshining more highlighted Pokemon like Venusaur and Roserade.

Mandibuzz - A great defensive Pokemon.

Misdreavus - There's more to Ghost Pokemon than the Gengar line.

Current Game - Pokemon Pearl Nuzlocke (2/8)
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:20 PM).
        Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.

Nature: Naive
          Charizard - Cannot be denied, though it is arguably one of the most popular of all,
          Game Freak takes use of that fact. With two Mega Evolutions instead of one, for example.
          I love Charizard myself, but yeah, it should not get that much credit.

Mewtwo - I never felt something for Mewtwo. I don't think he is the best Pokémon of all, either.
          And it has two Mega Evolutions as well.

Lugia - I think it is overall more favoured than Ho-Oh. Personally, I disagree on it.
          Lugia is cool, but I think Ho-Oh's design is much more striking and is overall one of my favorite legendaries.

Lucario - I like Lucario a lot, but so does GF. It is probably their favorite Pokémon seeing
          how many roles it gets in the games and anime. Even so, I also feel Lucario gets a bit of undeserved
          backlash from fans. Lucario has two sides to my view. It is overrated and overhated.

Garchomp - Here's one I just don't get it's popularity. Yeah, competitively it is strong,
          but its design just does not strike me.
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:46 AM).
          Charity?...

Nature: Quiet

Pidgey is probably in the top 10 of most underrated Pokemon of Kanto. But they will always have my #2 spot on my favorites yo.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:47 AM).
            the pretender
            • Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
            I feel like Lucario is somewhat overrated. I think it's an interesting Pokemon but I don't see why so many people love its design or power so much. I feel like Lucario is often chosen as a good fighting type yet there are other good fighting types in Sinnoh in the form of Pokemon like Medicham, Gallade or even Machamp which are more overlooked. I've also never liked its design that much or found it cool. I can appreciate its steel/fighting typing though - that's definitely cool for sure.

As for underrated Pokemon, I feel like a lot of Pokemon deserve more love! Stunfisk is often overlooked and seen as useless but I actually love its design. It looks like a squished pancake to me and whilst that doesn't sound very appealing, I think its design is cute. It also looks unfortunate to the point where you can't help but feel bad for poor Stunfisk. Its electric / ground typing is also one of the more interesting typings, in my opinion! Other pokemon I find really underrated are Rampardos, Drampa, Swalot and Trubbish for different reasons.
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:02 AM).
            • Gold Tier

It's hard to argue against Greninja for overrated and Trubbish/Garbodor for underrated.

Greninja became very popular very fast and I kind of understand why. It's a cool concept (I mean it is a freaking ninja) like Decidueye were I think the designers probably knew they were on to something popular from an early stage. The issue for me though is that it doesn't actually look cool from my perspective, in this case very much unlike Decidueye were the execution is flawless and it instantly became one of my favourites. Throw in me not watching the anime and being a big Delphox fan and Greninja has never had a chance to grow on me.

I think a lot of TCG players appreciate Garbodor for its various useful cards over the years, but other Pokémon fans still hate on it as one of the poor Gen 5 designs. Imo it's one of the better Gen 5 designs, which isn't saying much but still. I'd direct my ire for Gen V designs at 'mons like Stunfisk and Basculin rather than Garbodor.

I feel like those two are pretty obvious so some less obvious considerations.

Overrated
            Aegislash - I don't hate pokémon based on inanimate objects, in fact some are my faves, but there's really just no personality here. I don't think it would be half as popular if it wasn't good competitively. It's literally just a sword and shield.

Kyogre - Initially I didn't think this guy was too popular, but recently I've seen a lot of people express a liking for it. Plus reddit recently had a mega-survey which contained various questions on the franchise, in one of them Kyogre was somehow voted more popular than Groudon. Once again, this is me basing an answer almost entirely on design but Kyogre is ugly af. Groudon comes across as a menacing legendary, Kyogre is just a bigger version of the numerous bad water-type designs we have had.

Underrated
            Goldeen - I love its gormless expression, I think I've been a fan ever since I saw it splashing around in the pokémon center in an early anime episode. It loses its appeal when it evolves into Seaking though

Shroomish - I don't think anyone hates this little guy, but he doesn't get much love either. Once again it's a personality thing and I love his permanently angry expression. Again it loses the appeal when it evolve, but Breloom is okay too. Shroomish is definitely our best mushroom/funghi based pokémon.
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:19 AM).
            Charmander!

As a guy that really likes Charmander and its evolutions, as well as picking it as a starter in all the games that allowed me to, I have to agree on Charizard getting a little too much attention.
              I mean, two mega evolutions? All he needed was charizardite x.
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:31 PM).

pleasecome
              home;;

• Platinum Tier
              • GTGet-Together Event Management

Nature: Quiet
              Agreeing with most people in that Charizard gets a bit too much attention. What makes it so much more special than Blastoise or Venusaur?

Hard wind blows as the night is born
              And the dark feels so safe
              My body yearns for that need to start
              Cause it's too hard to wait
              We're going out tonight with something to prove
              Take to the streets and let our demons loose
              Put your hands up
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:33 PM).
              What a bother

Nature: Calm
                I believe Weavile is underrated. Sure, it gets a lot of flak for how easy it is to take down from a competitive standpoint, but I've always thought it was a great evolution for Sneasel. I always felt like Sneasel needed an evolution, so I was excited when we got one in gen IV. I think it's design is great and was the perfect evolution for Sneasel.

You serious, bruh?
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:58 PM).
                Charmander!

I think mainly because "fire breathing dragon" but it has always been a popular image in Pokemon because in the main games Charizard was right on the cover and also was pretty popular in the anime.
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:20 PM).
                  barely iconic
                  • Social Media
                  • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
                  The Drifloon line is p underrated, yes It does have a ton of weaknesses and it doesn't have the greatest move pool, but the Drifblim Ace in Platnium is crazy strong and it's p good in game once its on a roll.
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:26 PM).

Nature: Jolly
                    Overrated: Mewtwo because of his theme of power.

Underrated: Kyurem. People underate White Kyurem and Black Kyurem to start with, but a whole lot of the people who like Kyurem's formes like White Kyurem or Black Kyurem better. I seriously think Kyurem is underrated.

My 12 favorite Characters are Charizard, Mewtwo, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, Arceus Normal Type, Samurott, Scolipede, Virizion, Reshiram, Kyurem, Salazzle, Lunala, Ultra Lunala and Necrozma.
                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:11 PM).
                    H for hamazing
                    • Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
                    Every Pokémon in the Smash roster, except Pikachu (it's the mascot, so yeah) and Ivysaur is ovverrated. Some other Generation I Pokémon, and maybe Zoroark, too.

As for underrated, there are hell lot of them. Trubbish, Garbodor, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe... Sucks to see people hating on Generation V simply because of the Pokémon designs.
                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:57 PM).

I never used a Huntail, but it's derpy design drew me in. I wish I could evolve my Clamperl in Emerald, but I don't think I have what I need to evolve it. :(

Overrated mons? I have a list....basically, I agree with everyone's opinion here on the overrated.
                      Old 3 Days Ago (6:10 PM).

The ones who are more popular than they should be are.
                        Charizard: It's good in competitive and has a good design, yes, but Venusaur is better, and for the type combination, there is Moltres.
                        Kyogre: This legendary is not even close to as good as Groudon or Rayquaza, and there are much better water legendaries like Palkia.
                        Mewtwo: Probably my least favorite legendary. It has a uninteresting design, and Mew is better.
                        The ones that are not very popular but should be:
                        Dedenne: It is cute, and has a unique type. It isn't the best copetitevley, but its cute!
                        Leafeon: My favorite eevee evolution. It is cute, and okay competitevley.
                        Others are Gorebyss, Manectric, Lycanroc, Glaceon, Woobat, Deerling, Diancie,, and Keldeo.
                        Quick Reply

Sponsored Links