• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how tech savvy are you?

Years
  • open-ended question, interpret however you'd like. do you consider yourself a fairly tech savvy person, or do you know enough to just get by with day-to-day tech use?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm like a 6.7/10 on a good day. Tech is fun and I like using it and I really enjoy coding but at the end of the day I just can't force myself to care about the latest iphone or whatever new device is coming out soon. I'm very familiar with the tech I have no but if I were to be forced to adjust to a new operating system or device I'd probably struggle more than the average person. ;w;

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • I adapt easily to whatever comes across, whether it be a new OS, a new device or w/e. Takes an hour for me to get familiar with the basics and then give it a day or 2 max before i know it inside out.

Coding however is a big 0/10, thats forbidden territory for me

Years
  • There are a lot of ways in which you could easily consider someone as tech-savvy. Chances are, if somebody fits into at least one of these points I've outlined below, then the chances are they could be someone that is good with technology, and possibly holds knowledge and/or expertise in the other points as well.

Good with mobile devices

With the rise of mobile devices and operating systems, like iOS and Android, other longer-standing operating systems like Windows could be considered as going obsolete, especially for use around the home. In this day and age, it is not uncommon at all to run across an individual that does not own a computer, and uses their cell phone for any and all personal internet use. With that in mind, these are the people you can go to when asking about what the latest app is that is trending, in addition to maybe getting help in general with how to perform certain functions on the device. While you may not really consider this technologically savvy as everyone would know when it comes to being knowledgeable about technology, it is still a skill to have in the instance that you might be assisting someone with getting their smartphone set up.

Good with software

This is for those that know which programs are good for computer operating systems like Windows, and fun utilities that everybody may not know about that are very useful. Software like CCleaner is what comes to mind here; would the average computer user know about this? That, and there are definitely individuals that would know about other free alternatives to premium software, such as what GIMP is to Photoshop. These are also the individuals that could advise others on which internet browser, antivirus software, and even operating system to use, all through personal experience in addition to going into detail about listing the pros and cons of why one piece of software may be better than another.

Good with hardware

Hardware is the brain of technology as we know it. Without hardware, there wouldn't be software. Software and operating systems have hardware requirements, and it is important to be proficient in what hardware is needed to get tasks done without struggle. One such example in being savvy when it comes to hardware is knowing the different speeds of RAM and processors, in addition to knowing the differences between what a hard drive and a solid state drive are, or even AMD versus Intel.

Good with programming

I am including this point, primarily because being proficient with programming is definitely a good indication that you are tech-savvy. However, you do not have to be good with programming to be tech-savvy, either! Programming knowledge is how software is written, and how hardware is interfaced with, or else we wouldn't have technology like computers to begin with. :P

TL;DR: Overall, I'd say I'm fairly savvy when it comes to all of these, except for programming. Although I do understand the logic behind a programming language, the syntax between languages is what I do not understand.

Years
  • personally im good with mobile devices (except iphones, i cant operate iOS to save my life) and i have the gist of the basics of computer hardware and i think that would be about it. like, don't get me wrong, i definitely would know my way around the ins and outs of a computer if you gave me time to, but im not a super into hardware like hardcore gamers are.

im still kinda sad that i've yet to build my own desktop...

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I can program a VCR. Sometimes without reading the instruction manual.

That's how awesomely savvy I am.

Other comparison points:

* I don't have to ask "is this mic / recorder on?" I know.
    * I can get a laptop up to my usual workflow and styling in about 2 hr tops after installing the base system.
    * I can reasonably explain why people should where possible use eg.: Signal instead of Whatsapp, or Startpage instead of Google.
    * I can spell URLs over the phone (in my language's equivalent of the NATO spelling).
    * I can supplant or block wifi networks at the bandwidth / RF spectrum level.
    * I can follow use case diagrams, flow diagrams, network diagrams and data transit diagrams.
    * I can explain the OSI Model levels using stuff like Oreo cookies (with or without rat tails).
    * I successfully used threat of legal action against my phone manufacturer to get them to allow me to unlock the bootloader.
    * I can social engineer people into giving me their passwords.
    * I know exactly why I shouldn't create my own programming language or operating system.
    * I once created my own "this is what the standard libs are missing" library once for a programming language I like, and still maintain it sometimes.
    * I know how to file a GDPR complain and follow the case. I just don't / can't, in general, because I'm not an EU citizen.
    * I can make puns about Javascript (okay that one is not too hard).
    * I can enter valid tar commands.

pkmin3033

I'm tech savvy enough to know where to get answers when things start to go wrong, which is good enough for me.

Years
  • im not the best at it. but i can navigate my way through most systems myself and I know the very basics so that ought to be good

Years
  • I know how to make most things work, at least. And I know how to google answers to help me with some of the things I can't make work. So perhaps fairly tech-savvy? I don't know anything if it comes down to anything related to programming, but I'm not totally clueless when it comes to knowing how to do things.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • i get into a state where i think i'm good with computers and then find myself unable to figure out how to do a basic task and have to google it. i have never once managed to sync a fork on git or clear my browser cache without googling despite them both being something i have to do pretty often.
    and dont get me started on ios

Deleted member 691924

I was big into Pokemon ROM scripting (to amuse myself) and programming (have worked with Java, C#) which was going to be my initial career path. But eh fuck it I chose art instead. Anyway, I can get around with a device and know how to Google solutions as much as your average tech support.

Years
  • I'm a fast learner, thankfully, so I tend to be pretty good. Give me something and I'll learn it in a day.

Back