• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lucidious89's Custom Ability Thread [Essentials v18.1]

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    I was looking to maybe get some help with an ability that mimics the effects of torment. it would need to work like damp tho with a global check so that it's always active when there is an active pokemon with this ability. it would affect allies, foes, and self. I'm calling it Full Stop. I'm mostly having trouble figuring out what section of the script to put it. any help would be appreciated

Years
    • Seen today
    I was looking to maybe get some help with an ability that mimics the effects of torment. it would need to work like damp tho with a global check so that it's always active when there is an active pokemon with this ability. it would affect allies, foes, and self. I'm calling it Full Stop. I'm mostly having trouble figuring out what section of the script to put it. any help would be appreciated
    Doesn't sound too tricky. I was able to get this working in a couple minutes. Try this:

In PokeBattle_Battle, find the line if thispkmn.effects[PBEffects::Torment] and paste this above it
    Code:
    if pbCheckGlobalAbility(:FULLSTOP)
          for i in 0...4
            if !@battlers[i].fainted?
              user=@battlers[i] if @battlers[i].hasWorkingAbility(:FULLSTOP)
              abilname=PBAbilities.getName(user.ability)
              if thismove.id==@battlers[i].lastMoveUsed
                if showMessages
                  pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1}'s {2} prevents the use of the same move twice in a row!",user.pbThis,abilname))
                end
                return false
              end
            end
          end
        end

This does exactly as you described, and mimics the torment effect on all battlers as long as there's a Pokemon on the field with Full Stop. I would also probably add an entry message for this ability (like Mold Breaker has) so that the player is aware that the effect is being put into play as soon as a Pokemon with this ability is sent out.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    Doesn't sound too tricky. I was able to get this working in a couple minutes. Try this:

In PokeBattle_Battle, find the line if thispkmn.effects[PBEffects::Torment] and paste this above it
    Code:
    if pbCheckGlobalAbility(:FULLSTOP)
          for i in 0...4
            if !@battlers[i].fainted?
              user=@battlers[i] if @battlers[i].hasWorkingAbility(:FULLSTOP)
              abilname=PBAbilities.getName(user.ability)
              if thismove.id==@battlers[i].lastMoveUsed
                if showMessages
                  pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1}'s {2} prevents the use of the same move twice in a row!",user.pbThis,abilname))
                end
                return false
              end
            end
          end
        end

This does exactly as you described, and mimics the torment effect on all battlers as long as there's a Pokemon on the field with Full Stop. I would also probably add an entry message for this ability (like Mold Breaker has) so that the player is aware that the effect is being put into play as soon as a Pokemon with this ability is sent out.

I really appreciate it! I'm still learning to script and honestly idk what that "i in 0...4" stuff means... 😅 The rest of it makes sense to me and is along the same lines as what I figured I needed and what I even started to script but I wouldn't have known where to put it or to use the i in 0...4. I'll have to figure out what that actually does lol

Years
    • Seen today
    I really appreciate it! I'm still learning to script and honestly idk what that "i in 0...4" stuff means... 😅 The rest of it makes sense to me and is along the same lines as what I figured I needed and what I even started to script but I wouldn't have known where to put it or to use the i in 0...4. I'll have to figure out what that actually does lol
    It took me a bit to figure out too. I have no training in any of this either, i literally know what i know just from pulling things apart and trial and error.

What the "for i in x" line does, as i understand it, is that its essentially a loop that searches through a range of numbers (in this case 0 through 4), and then performs the code on each of them.

So in this case "for i in 0...4" its basically saying "for each number between 0 and four, do this code". In this case, 0 through 4 is referencing all of the potential Pokemon that may be on the field (which is 4 at once, because of double battles).

So then the code below this line runs for EACH of the potential battlers on the field. So it checks if the Pokemon is not fainted, and if it isn't, it checks if the Pokemon's currently chosen move is the same as the last move it used, and if it is, it returns the ability message and prevents that move from being selected....and then it repeats this process four times, which correlates to each Pokemon on the field.

This is more or less the gist of how this works as far as i know.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Ability: Armor Piercer
    Effect: The user's contact moves bypass the target's attempt to negate damage.
    Notes: This negates the damage negation of Protect, Detect, Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Mat Block, King's Shield, and Spiky Shield. Crafty Shied is the lone exception since it only blocks status moves and this ability only applies this effect to contact moves. This is a potentially overpowered ability, so it's best to give it to Pokemon who are otherwise underwhelming.

Suggested Users: Beedrill, Fearow, Rapidash, Heracross, Skorupi, Drapion, Escavalier, Keldeo

Example Images:
    Spoiler:

Installation:
    Spoiler:

Hey I just realized that you literally predicted and coded Urshifu's new Signature Ability, Unseen Fist, 4 years ago.

Years
    • Seen today
    I was coming up with some more custom Abilities for some fakemon ideas I had, and I figured I'd share some of them. I've included some custom moves as well, because the full potential of these Abilities are only apparent when combined with these custom move effects.

Custom Ability: Dancing Panic
    Custom Move: Magical Horn

Here's a new ability and a move that are meant to play off each other. The theme is based around a Fire/Fairy fakemon I made up a while back that draws inspiration from satyrs. Here's a pic of the designs to give you an idea of what this is intended to look like.
    Spoiler:

Custom Abilities: Grizzly Guard, Honey Frenzy
    Custom Moves: Honey Claw, Honey Snack

These moves and abilities are designed around bear Pokemon. Grizzly Guard is more or less an independent ability, but the rest are all built around a single theme involving the item Honey.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I was coming up with some more custom Abilities for some fakemon ideas I had, and I figured I'd share some of them. I've included some custom moves as well, because the full potential of these Abilities are only apparent when combined with these custom move effects.

Custom Ability: Dancing Panic
    Custom Move: Magical Horn

Here's a new ability and a move that are meant to play off each other. The theme is based around a Fire/Fairy fakemon I made up a while back that draws inspiration from satyrs. Here's a pic of the designs to give you an idea of what this is intended to look like.
    Spoiler:

Custom Abilities: Grizzly Guard, Honey Frenzy
    Custom Moves: Honey Claw, Honey Snack

These moves and abilities are designed around bear Pokemon. Grizzly Guard is more or less an independent ability, but the rest are all built around a single theme involving the item Honey.
    Spoiler:

These are some cool moves/abilities! I especially like the dancer ones. One small suggestion I have for Revelation Dance so that its effect is changed like all the other moves would be to make it instead based on the user's secondary type (if applicable).

On a different note, doesn't Grizzly Guard seem really powerful (maybe a little too much)? Follow Me is already a very powerful move in doubles, and to be able to have that effect without using a turn is quite a bit more powerful. Assuming this ability is available for the player in your game and you allow healing items in battle, you could just keep healing the Pokemon with Grizzly Guard and have the other Pokemon set up as much as it wants and then sweep. It also doesn't help that all of these Pokemon have other ways to stall out the opponent (keep in mind that ALL of these Pokemon have access to Protect, Substitute, Endure, & Rest). Also, Bewear gets healing moves like Drain Punch and Pain Split, and using Wide Guard on it (along with Protect) would allow for so many free turns. Maybe you should make it so the ability only activates when the Pokemon with the ability uses a damaging move? Or maybe make it so it only redirects attacks away from Pokemon that share a type with it? Even with either of these restrictions individually, I think it would still be a VERY powerful ability in doubles, but maybe it would be a bit more balanced if both of these conditions must be met?

Years
    • Seen today
    These are some cool moves/abilities! I especially like the dancer ones. One small suggestion I have for Revelation Dance so that its effect is changed like all the other moves would be to make it instead based on the user's secondary type (if applicable).

On a different note, doesn't Grizzly Guard seem really powerful (maybe a little too much)? Follow Me is already a very powerful move in doubles, and to be able to have that effect without using a turn is quite a bit more powerful. Assuming this ability is available for the player in your game and you allow healing items in battle, you could just keep healing the Pokemon with Grizzly Guard and have the other Pokemon set up as much as it wants and then sweep. It also doesn't help that all of these Pokemon have other ways to stall out the opponent (keep in mind that ALL of these Pokemon have access to Protect, Substitute, Endure, & Rest). Also, Bewear gets healing moves like Drain Punch and Pain Split, and using Wide Guard on it (along with Protect) would allow for so many free turns. Maybe you should make it so the ability only activates when the Pokemon with the ability uses a damaging move? Or maybe make it so it only redirects attacks away from Pokemon that share a type with it? Even with either of these restrictions individually, I think it would still be a VERY powerful ability in doubles, but maybe it would be a bit more balanced if both of these conditions must be met?

You bring up a lot of good points that I've put some thought into.

My idea for Revelation Dance was to make it so that it is always treated as a Normal-type move, rather than changing types like it normally would. I decided not to include it mostly because of the fact that Revelation Dance isn't included in Essentials by default, so then I'd have to first give instructions on how to add Revelation Dance before I could explain what changes you'd need to make so that it works with Dancing Panic. That's too many steps to add to the instructions for a single move that only a single Pokemon can use, for an effect that isn't even that drastic. Feel free to implement it on your own though.

Grizzly Guard is a powerful ability indeed, which is why its meant to have a very limited distribution. It does have its limitations though, which I outlined in my post. It ONLY activates on the opponent's single-target non-status moves, and ONLY activates when the user's partner is the targeted Pokemon. So Grizzly Guard doesn't have all the advantages of Follow Me. For example, in the main series, a move like Beat Up used on your partner (to activate something like Justified) would be redirected with Follow Me, locking down the strategy. Grizzly Guard will not redirect this move, because the target wasn't the user's partner. Also you have moves like Thunder Wave, Spore, etc. that are status moves which would be redirected by Follow Me, but aren't redirected by Grizzly Guard. In addition, Grizzly Guard won't activate if the user OR its partner are under the effects of Protect that turn, which prevents a lot of situations where you could cheese this ability. This ability is also ignored by Pokemon with Mold Breaker, which is a weakness that Follow Me doesn't have (along with all its normal weaknesses, like Stalwart/Sleep/etc). It's still definitely a good ability with some major combo potential, but I don't think its outright broken if its distributed conservatively.

Also something to consider is that the best users of Follow Me tend to be support-oriented Pokemon that have the means to set up its partner. The suggested Pokemon I listed aren't really known for their supportive roles, and tbh they probably want to utilize the Attack boost portion of the ability much more so than the redirection part. Then you also have to consider that Beartic and Pangoro are super weak to Rock Slide and Dazzling Gleam, respectively (two very common spread moves which would ignore this ability), and Bewear would need to give up its Fluffy ability to utilize this (significantly weakening its bulk), and Ursaring just sucks in general, so...

Yeah. Not saying this ability can't be too good. It definitely has potential to require some nerfs. It's just hard to judge in a bubble. The only things you brought up where I think I might make some changes are in regards to Substitute and Wide Guard. I think Substitute could definitely be abused for some degenerate play here, and it actually doesn't make much sense for the ability anyway. I mean, how can you be bodyguarding your partner if you yourself are hiding behind something else? And why would your partner NEED protecting if they're already being shielded by the Substitute? So yeah, in the case of Substitute, I think the ability shouldn't trigger if either the user or partner have a Sub up (the same way the ability won't trigger if either the user or partner used Protect). I think this same logic applies to Wide Guard as well. So those are the two points you brought up that I think are worth addressing.

As for things like Endure, I think those are fine. Endure immediately dies to sand or literally any form of passive damage. So it's sort of a one-trick pony that only really does something cool for one turn and you have to give up a whole moveslot for. Rest isn't a big deal either since the ability doesn't trigger if the user is asleep. Again, you could do some Chesto shenanigans or something to get extra mileage out of this, but if you gotta waste a held item slot just for that one tactic, I don't see that as a huge deal. I think the BIGGER threat is actually the partner being able to use Heal Pulse on the user each turn, making them into a regenerating meat shield for themselves. But then you're basically just stuck with just 1 attack each turn vs. your opponent's 2 (since the partner basically has to click Heal Pulse every turn). So I still actually don't see this as too broken.

As for abusing the tactic to heal with items during in-game battles - sure, I guess. There's a million ways to abuse items in-game, so I'm not super concerned with that. Especially since this is a doubles-only tactic, which tends to be a much rarer format for in-game play.

Years
    • Seen today

I updated the Grizzly Guard ability after going over what you said. I made it so that it no longer activates when:

• The opponent uses a spread move.
    • The opponent uses a status move.
    • The opponent has Mold Breaker.
    • The opponent has Stalwart.
    • The user or its partner are out of range (Fly, Dig, Dive, etc).
    • The user or its partner used Protect.
      [*]The user or its partner used a Protect variant (Spiky Shield, King's Shield).
      [*]The user's side of the field is under the effects of Wide Guard, Quick Guard, or Mat Block.
      [*]The user or its partner are behind a Substitute.
      [*]The user has less than 25% of its total HP remaining.
      [*]The user's level is 10 or more levels lower than its partner's.

The bolded items are the new additions I implemented. Spiky/King's Shield should have already been there to begin with, I simply forgot about them. I decided to just add every Protect-like move to the list of exceptions for the sake of consistency. The only one I omitted was Crafty Shield, since that only blocks status moves, which this ability already fails against anyway. And Substitute I added for the reasons I stated in my previous post.

I also made it so that this ability now fails if the user's HP is below 25%. This solves both Endure and Focus Sash from being abused by this ability, as well as making it a little less easy to abuse in-game, since the user's HP needs to be maintained and essentially has a timer before it will begin to fail.

The last bullet is mostly just for balancing the ability's use in-game. Now you cant, for instance, just throw out a Level 20 Ursaring with this ability to eat up a hit for your Level 100 Mewtwo while you heal up. The user will need to be within a reasonable level range of its partner to protect them. This also just makes sense thematically, since it doesn't make much sense that a weakling Pokemon would be bodyguarding something way stronger than itself.

In addition to all this, I also fixed a bug while going back to make these adjustments. Before, this ability would activate even if the user targeted its own partner. Meaning that the user's own attacks would be redirected to itself (lol) if the user targeted its partner with an attack. I fixed this, so now this will no longer occur.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2023
    Looks like this is the place where people posts their custom abilities. Here one mine I like to share.

Ability: Adaptation
    Effect: Changes the Pokémon's type to the foe's move before getting attack.
    Notes: It's the opposite of Protean. I copied that code and swap it around. What this ability does is when your opponent is about to attack, your Pokémon will change it's type according to that attack move. So if a Normal-type Pokémon is about to get hit by a Fighting-type move, it will change its type into Fighting-type. But be careful, if your opponent use a Ghost or Dragon-type moves, it'll change into that and it'll be super-effective. I pair this ability with Revelation Dance (or something similar).

in PokeBattle_Battler look for this:
    Spoiler:

And below all of that Paste this:
    Spoiler:

HeroesFightingFear

"The Champion of Alon"
    Years
  • Question.
    Does this work for the Wildfire ability I mentioned before?
    Code:
    if user.hasWorkingAbility(:WILDFIRE,true) && isConst?(thismove.type,PBTypes,:FIRE)
                 target.pbBurn(nil,false)
                PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Wildfire")
                target.pbPoison(user,_INTL("{1}'s {2} burned {3}!",user.pbThis,
                   PBAbilities.getName(user.ability),target.pbThis(true)))
              end
            end

HeroesFightingFear

"The Champion of Alon"
    Years
  • Woops. Think I fixed it.
    Code:
    if user.hasWorkingAbility(:WILDFIRE,true) && isConst?(thismove.type,PBTypes,:FIRE)
                 target.pbCanBurn?(nil,false)
                PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Wildfire")
                target.pbBurn(user,_INTL("{1}'s {2} burned {3}!",user.pbThis,
                   PBAbilities.getName(user.ability),target.pbThis(true)))
              end
            end

HeroesFightingFear

"The Champion of Alon"
    Years
  • Question, does this look right? I used the Auto Reflect code from earlier as a base.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Question, does this look right? I used the Auto Reflect code from earlier as a base.
    Spoiler:

Looks fine at a glance. Test it out.

HeroesFightingFear

"The Champion of Alon"
    Years
  • Looks fine at a glance. Test it out.

Well, my game starts up, and if it was a bad code, it likely wouldn't like with the previous one I tried, which was burn/paralysis variations of Poison Touch. I think I managed to do something on my own for once (well, somewhat at least).
    I also re-implemented birthsigns into my project (had to start from scratch), and nothing's gone wrong this time. If anything, my previous knowledge makes me able to execute it somewhat better

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2022
    These abilities are incredible, but I would like them to also be in the style of Pokemon Essentials v18, yes are different code :3

Years
    • Seen today
    These abilities are incredible, but I would like them to also be in the style of Pokemon Essentials v18, yes are different code :3

I plan on updating every ability ive posted in this thread with v18 equivalents at some point. But its not a high priority for me, as I still have to update both Birthsigns and Dynamax before I even get to that, which are huge projects that I havent even started yet.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Might be a bit of a mega post here but wanted to share some of my abilities (plus example pokemons) do note it is going off v16/17 (As i feel those will be compatible) but v18 apparently has different code so cant help there, also instead of calling actual lines i'll call "under intimidate..." etc. as my lines will be completely different. anyway here we go.

Night Gust-
    Whips up a Tailwind for your Pokemon
    Examples; Rayquaza, Cottonee, Whismicott, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Fearow.
    Spoiler:
    Agile Target-
    Speed is doubled for the first 5 turns.
    Examples; Yanma, Yanmega, Ninjask, Flygon, Rowlet, Dartix, Decidueye.
    Spoiler:
    Ancient Shell/Firmly Rooted.
    Cannot Switch out, but heals every turn.
    Examples for Ancient Shell; Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Groudon, Druddigon, Copperajah.
    Examples for Firmly Rooted; Tangela, Tangrowth, Zygarde, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume.
    Spoiler:
    Riptide-
    Gives priority to a physical move, does half damage to Flying and Normal types.
    Examples: Carvanha, Sharpedo, Keldeo, Corphish, Crawdaunt
    Spoiler:
    Mutual-
    Raises its defense if its partner is a flying type, and raises their attack.
    Examples: Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Cufant, Copperajah, Tauros, Miltank, Bouffalant.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2022
    I plan on updating every ability ive posted in this thread with v18 equivalents at some point. But its not a high priority for me, as I still have to update both Birthsigns and Dynamax before I even get to that, which are huge projects that I havent even started yet.

Wow, you are incredible and don't worry, give everything to achieve your priorities first, and in advance I thank you that you have a great knowledge in scripting skills, you are great :3😃😄

Back