• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lucidious89's Custom Ability Thread [Essentials v18.1]

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I have created some new abilities for my game (wow I have more than I thought), and I thought I'd share some of the more interesting ones:

Second Wind: Heals the Pokemon for 25% of its maximum HP whenever it takes a hit that drops its HP below half.

Bodyguard: Redirects attacks of Pokemon moving after the Pokemon with this ability at the Pokemon with this ability.

Motivation: When the Pokemon knocks out a Pokemon, attacks another opposing Pokemon with the same attack.

Confidence: When entering battle, raises Defense of allies by 2 stages.

Combustion: Whenever the Pokemon takes a fatal hit, it deals a 50 power Normal physical attack to all adjacent Pokemon.

Life Force: Heals 1/32 max HP of the Pokemon at the end of each turn.

Medic: Heals 1/8 max HP (of the Pokemon with this ability) to an ally at the end of each turn.

Power Nap: When taking a hit that knocks the Pokemon below 25% HP, it falls asleep (for 2 turns) and restores 75% HP if it isn't already sleeping.

Sequence: Raises a random stat one stage for each Pokemon on the field that shares a type with it when entering combat.

Shackle: Wide Guard as an ability.

Sponge: When attacked by an ally, restores the amount of damage that would've been dealt.

Thrust: When the user moves after the target, 50% chance to make the target switch out if the move makes contact.

Vanguard: When in play, the Pokemon that moves first each turn deals 5/4 damage.

Crusher: When the Pokemon's HP is above the target's HP, attacks against the target deal 5/4 damage.

Quip: Reduces a random stat by one stage on a target when hitting it with a sound-based move.

Overlord: 50% chance to raise attack 1 stage when hit with a contact move.

Sneak Attack: When hitting with a Critical hit, causes the target to flinch. (Guaranteed crits don't activate this ability)

Flame Spiral: When a Fire attack is used by the Pokemon, the target(s) receive extra damage equal to the Pokemon's Special Attack/4.

Dual Wield: When using a multi-hit move, the attack is always a Critical hit.

Attentive: Moves that would usually require a cooldown don't, and two-turn moves hit on the first turn.

Merciful Heart: When using a move on yourself or an ally, a random stat of an ally increases one stage.

Pure Lethality: When the user switches in without an item, raises a random stat sharply.

Last Bullets: Deals more damage the less PP the user has left. ( multiplier=(1+(1-pp/totalpp)/2) )

Alphabetization: Signature ability of Unown, has a different effect for each form (effect for each form listed in spoiler)
    Spoiler:

I would appreciate feedback on abilities that seem really broken if people feel inclined. I have already coded most of these abilities, so if you want to implement some of these into your game and you're having trouble, I can explain what I did.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    So I've been fairly bored and in a creative slump. If anyone has ideas for some interesting and unique abilities (or items I guess), I'd be willing to take a crack at making them. Please be something actually original and not just something like "raises stats if X" or something that could be made by copying an existing ability.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I'd love an ability that's the opposite of Technician, called "Predator" that gives a boost if the Pokemon moves first :)

This is similar to my Vanguard ability (do you mean opposite of Analytic?), except the damage boost is only given to the Pokemon with the ability. Paste this code below Analytic in Pokebattle_Move:
    Spoiler:
    You can also implement this in the Pokebattle_AI script so the AI acknowledges the damage boost. Find '# Analytic' and paste the following code below it:
    Spoiler:
    Remember to add the ability in the PBS file as well.

HeroesFightingFear

"The Champion of Alon"
    Years
  • Now here's an ability that's the exact opposite of Mummy, and quite a gimmicky idea.
    Skill Thief - Whenever a Pokemon that has this Ability is hit by direct contact, it copies the foe's Ability.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    I have created some new abilities for my game (wow I have more than I thought), and I thought I'd share some of the more interesting ones:

Second Wind: Heals the Pokemon for 25% of its maximum HP whenever it takes a hit that drops its HP below half.

Bodyguard: Redirects attacks of Pokemon moving after the Pokemon with this ability at the Pokemon with this ability.

Motivation: When the Pokemon knocks out a Pokemon, attacks another opposing Pokemon with the same attack.

Confidence: When entering battle, raises Defense of allies by 2 stages.

Combustion: Whenever the Pokemon takes a fatal hit, it deals a 50 power Normal physical attack to all adjacent Pokemon.

Life Force: Heals 1/32 max HP of the Pokemon at the end of each turn.

Medic: Heals 1/8 max HP (of the Pokemon with this ability) to an ally at the end of each turn.

Power Nap: When taking a hit that knocks the Pokemon below 25% HP, it falls asleep (for 2 turns) and restores 75% HP if it isn't already sleeping.

Sequence: Raises a random stat one stage for each Pokemon on the field that shares a type with it when entering combat.

Shackle: Wide Guard as an ability.

Sponge: When attacked by an ally, restores the amount of damage that would've been dealt.

Thrust: When the user moves after the target, 50% chance to make the target switch out if the move makes contact.

Vanguard: When in play, the Pokemon that moves first each turn deals 5/4 damage.

Crusher: When the Pokemon's HP is above the target's HP, attacks against the target deal 5/4 damage.

Quip: Reduces a random stat by one stage on a target when hitting it with a sound-based move.

Overlord: 50% chance to raise attack 1 stage when hit with a contact move.

Sneak Attack: When hitting with a Critical hit, causes the target to flinch. (Not sure what to do about moves that always crit)

Flame Spiral: When a Fire attack is used by the Pokemon, the target(s) receive extra damage equal to the Pokemon's Special Attack.

Dual Wield: When using a multi-hit move, the attack is always a Critical hit.

Attentive: Moves that would usually require a cooldown don't, and two-turn moves hit on the first turn.

Merciful Heart: When using a move on yourself or an ally, a random stat of an ally increases one stage.

Pure Lethality: When the user switches in without an item, raises a random stat sharply.

Last Bullets: Deals more damage the less PP the user has left. ( multiplier=(1+(1-pp/totalpp)/2) )

Alphabetization: Signature ability of Unown, has a different effect for each form (effect for each form listed in spoiler)
    Spoiler:

I would appreciate feedback on abilities that seem really broken if people feel inclined. I have already coded most of these abilities, so if you want to implement some of these into your game and you're having trouble, I can explain what I did.

I really like some of these abilities and a few of them are actually very similar/the same to a couple of abilities I've come up with. I will say a couple do strike me as broken tho lol um flame spiral, if I understand that correctly, does a set SECOND damage that is a number equivalent of the users SpA stat? Like if my spa stat at level 100 is 328 (basically base 100 spa with 252 Evs and modest nature for example) it deals an additional 328 damage to the opponent? IF I'm understanding that correctly, that's enough damage to p much ohko anything on its own lol most Pokemon don't even have that much HP. I think Sneak Attack has the potential to be broken, as I'm sure you already know with Auto-Crit moves, that's essentially Auto-Flinch as well. Balancing that, you could make moves that crit have a chance to flinch? Or just not give it to anything that learns auto-crit moves I suppose lol or only give it to really slow Pokemon, but trick room is an option with this last one, so it requires some setting up but could be, in the right hands/conditions, just as annoying. And lastly I love the idea of an ability for the Unowns that activates different effects. And ik the Unown get literally one move and have poop for stats but most of those effects are just outright broken. Like Vanish. Nothing will ever hit that lol and it's automatic, no condition whatsoever. I love the idea but from both a competitive and in-game pov it just feels un-fun. I wouldn't want to face Unown ever

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I put it in a game that already had EBS as a test

Yeah I don't have EBS and I don't plan on having it, because I run some scripts that do not work on EBS as far as I am aware. Is it difficult to adapt to vanilla Essentials?

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I really like some of these abilities and a few of them are actually very similar/the same to a couple of abilities I've come up with. I will say a couple do strike me as broken tho lol um flame spiral, if I understand that correctly, does a set SECOND damage that is a number equivalent of the users SpA stat? Like if my spa stat at level 100 is 328 (basically base 100 spa with 252 Evs and modest nature for example) it deals an additional 328 damage to the opponent? IF I'm understanding that correctly, that's enough damage to p much ohko anything on its own lol most Pokemon don't even have that much HP. I think Sneak Attack has the potential to be broken, as I'm sure you already know with Auto-Crit moves, that's essentially Auto-Flinch as well. Balancing that, you could make moves that crit have a chance to flinch? Or just not give it to anything that learns auto-crit moves I suppose lol or only give it to really slow Pokemon, but trick room is an option with this last one, so it requires some setting up but could be, in the right hands/conditions, just as annoying. And lastly I love the idea of an ability for the Unowns that activates different effects. And ik the Unown get literally one move and have poop for stats but most of those effects are just outright broken. Like Vanish. Nothing will ever hit that lol and it's automatic, no condition whatsoever. I love the idea but from both a competitive and in-game pov it just feels un-fun. I wouldn't want to face Unown ever

Ah, yes. I think I realized that Flame Spiral was broken, and when I coded it I forgot to write how I changed it in this document. It should actually deal damage equal to the user's SpAtk/4. I recoded Sneak Attack so that it wouldn't activate if the user's Critical Hit ratio is greater than or equal to 3 or if an auto-crit move is used, because yeah, it would be pretty broken if there was a 100% flinch chance. I feel like Vanish isn't quite so broken because Unown will usually die from one attack (2 at the most) and with +6 evasion there's still a 1 in 3 chance (iirc) of an attack hitting, so on average, it will only get like 2-5 turns to attack, which considering Unown's Special Attack, isn't enough to knock out more than like 1 (or maybe 2) Pokemon. With Bear, it will probably survive 2-3 turns, but deals double damage and crits, so I'd say it's a fair trade off. I agree that many of Alphabetization's variations are gimmicky, but I'm trying to make Unown at least somewhat viable, though I probably won't make it available to too many trainers in my game. Unown's presence will also be mostly isolated to 1 small part of the story so people who find it frustrating won't have to deal with it too much. Thanks for your feedback!

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    Ah, yes. I think I realized that Flame Spiral was broken, and when I coded it I forgot to write how I changed it in this document. It should actually deal damage equal to the user's SpAtk/4. I recoded Sneak Attack so that it wouldn't activate if the user's Critical Hit ratio is greater than or equal to 3 or if an auto-crit move is used, because yeah, it would be pretty broken if there was a 100% flinch chance. I feel like Vanish isn't quite so broken because Unown will usually die from one attack (2 at the most) and with +6 evasion there's still a 1 in 3 chance (iirc) of an attack hitting, so on average, it will only get like 2-5 turns to attack, which considering Unown's Special Attack, isn't enough to knock out more than like 1 (or maybe 2) Pokemon. With Bear, it will probably survive 2-3 turns, but deals double damage and crits, so I'd say it's a fair trade off. I agree that many of Alphabetization's variations are gimmicky, but I'm trying to make Unown at least somewhat viable, though I probably won't make it available to too many trainers in my game. Unown's presence will also be mostly isolated to 1 small part of the story so people who find it frustrating won't have to deal with it too much. Thanks for your feedback!

Absolutely! And I see, I definitely find those edits to Flame Spiral and Sneak Attack make a lot more sense lol and yeah, in game I suppose it's a give and take imo on the Alphabetize ability effects. If it's pertaining to a small part of the story. I would definitely be interested in testing that ability out and seeing how it could work in a strictly competitive setting. I can say just by principal it would probably be banned 😂 anything pertaining to evasion in general is usually just illegal cuz it /typically/ makes a Pokemon untouchable, which makes for very brainless, annoying matches where you're just hoping to land a hit and your opponent is just smacking you around in the meantime. But I do really like the idea of the separate effects for each form

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2021
    I haven't been in the community for a while, but I will try to solve the problem you are having with my ability. She doesn't need EBS, I don't use it myself. I would like to know if you have created a new Eevee, it is a ability I did for a special Eevee, and if you want to use it in normal Eevee you need to use eeveelutions as forms of it, or give the ability to all eeveelutions and then modify the code (it would be like the battle evolution code you have here in the community.) I had no problem with the code and I want to try to understand what happened to those who had problems, since one of the users managed to use it without any problem.

If something is wrong, it is the translator's fault, but I hope he did not translate it wrong. Haha

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    As far as I can see no. But I still get the error. A NoMethodError about an undefined method "hasWorkingAbility". Which is odd. Am I overlooking something?

In which script section did you place the ability?

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    So I've been fairly bored and in a creative slump. If anyone has ideas for some interesting and unique abilities (or items I guess), I'd be willing to take a crack at making them. Please be something actually original and not just something like "raises stats if X" or something that could be made by copying an existing ability.

Conductor - Steel Type moves become Electric against Water Types

I feel like if I didn't want it to be a specific type, it would be fairly simple to implement. id just need a 2x damage multiplier for when the pokemon with this ability uses a steel type move and the opponent is a water type but I want it to, for instance, not work against water/ground types because ground types are immune to electric

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    Powder Shield

Effect: Protects this Pokemon from Fire-Type attacks and Deals damage to the opponent.
    Notes: This ability makes the user immune to opposing fire type attacks and deals recoil damage to the opponent for 1/4 total HP. This is basically the ability version of the move Powder

Suggested Users: Vileplume, Parasect, Bulbasaur Line, Venomoth, Vivillon, Butterfree, p much most bug or grass types that use Powder moves or have spore and such

Installation:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Conductor - Steel Type moves become Electric against Water Types

I feel like if I didn't want it to be a specific type, it would be fairly simple to implement. id just need a 2x damage multiplier for when the pokemon with this ability uses a steel type move and the opponent is a water type but I want it to, for instance, not work against water/ground types because ground types are immune to electric

I mean, you could just copy Aerilate/Pixilate/etc and just make an ability that turns the move Electric when a Steel type move is used and the opponent is Water. That way the typing of the move will literally become Electric, and thus has all the effectiveness of an Electric move, and thus be negated by Water/Ground types.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    I mean, you could just copy Aerilate/Pixilate/etc and just make an ability that turns the move Electric when a Steel type move is used and the opponent is Water. That way the typing of the move will literally become Electric, and thus has all the effectiveness of an Electric move, and thus be negated by Water/Ground types.

OH SHOOT I feel like I should have realized that lmao much appreciated

Back