• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playgrounds for Children Who Won't Come

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
  • World-building for most people who do it is its own reward and motivation, true, but I'm sure we've all got a reason we're bringing things to this forum in particular, as opposed to any other or even just a private document file on our desktops. A lot of the time, someone's imaginative mindscapes never even see the blessing of textualization because all that effectively matters at the start is that you know it, and a lot of the time you will regardless of whether or not you write it down.

So: why PokeCommunity? What is it about the this forum that makes y'all wanna bring your ideas here? Is it to link your worlds to others, such as with original Pokemon regions, and if that's the case, why not just do that privately together? Is it to expose them to other people who might want to RP in them, and if you are, why wouldn't you drop it by the Role-Play Adoption thread? If you're telling a story of sorts with it, why wouldn't you just go to the Fanfiction libraries?

So what is it, then, dearies? I'm sure our mods-who-rule would love to hear your arguments, if indeed there are any to be made.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Well the worldbuilding subreddit is really intense. They will tear up your world, eat it, and spit it out.
    And I don't wanna keep the world all to myself, so I came here.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Okay so first of all: I LOVE public forums for creative arts. Like honestly, a place where I can post, compile, get feedback, discuss relative merits of things, show off what I have, talk to people who work in all different mediums and all kinds of genres? YES. Especially the fact that PC is a nice and kind forum, with people who are willing to say "yes, and...!" and "what if...?" instead of "no, actually..." I can discuss with people from all over the world, all different backgrounds and life experiences and knowledge banks. also pc is my home base for the entire internet and always has been so of course i bring things here lol

In regards to the original Pokémon region linkup- it started here on this forum, with World of PokéCommunity. It was something a lot of us were proud of and wanted to do more in. So why not bring that concept back? And we brought it back in public because- we want to play with everyone. We want there to be the possibility of others joining our project, playing in our worlds, seeing how we're coexisting and having fun. We want to show everyone what we have and what we can do together and find more people to do it with. :> Our little group... we're not primarily roleplayers. We don't want to hand our worlds over, because we want to use them. But we don't want to truly roleplay in them? There's a lot of stuff we want to do that doesn't fit as a roleplay, or as just a fanfiction. We're a little more experimental, and we don't really fit anywhere but here right now~

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Well the worldbuilding subreddit is really intense. They will tear up your world, eat it, and spit it out.
    And I don't wanna keep the world all to myself, so I came here.

Also Reddit formatting is a mega b*tch. I prefer forums for that constant update feel and smoother comment readability. :3

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Pretty similar to the other comments about the reddit worldbuilding community, I want to have fun with some what if ideas and casually build settings and worlds, not become the next Tolkien. Plus I just like the forum style better for worldbuilding to keep everything together, and I just prefer the PC community over the reddit one.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Because PC has great CSS capabilities, duh, what did you think? My creations deserve only the best... even though it has to endure tons of PC downtime :x

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I actually learned of worldbuilding as a hobby from PokéCommunity, so it makes sense that I start building worlds here! I knew of WoPC but I thought it was an original concept at the time; it wasn't until the last Forum Frontier, when there was such a large show of support for this forum that I started looking up worldbuilding and thought it looked pretty fun.

Years
  • Why here? Because it's the website I go to now. I know the lay of things and it's comfortable. If I frequented another forum and they opened a subforum like this I'd do it there. But I gather that we're a fairly easygoing forum compared to others so maybe this is a good place for just doing things for fun.

It's also practice for me, to keep the creative parts of my mind working. I figure if there's a place to share I can share. Seeing other people's ideas can help with my own inspiration, motivation, and so on so maybe it works that way for other people, too.

I'm not the best at keeping consistent motivation so anything that can help remind me, push me, challenge me, and so on can be useful and I'll take advantage of that.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
  • Hohoho, so it would seem that the overall answer is that PC is just a friendly place with such a wondrous place in your hearts that you wish only to give back by exposing your most passionate of works for its community to see~!

Well, that is refreshing.
    I, for one, hope very much that this test forum passes requirements so that you all can realize your goals here. Let's all try to keep things interesting to attract that sweet, sweet activity!

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • Because my friends are here, and I know they'll be honest but nice. Oh and CSS is pretty great.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Well, Raoga for one is linked to another thread on PC, so it makes sense to put it on the same site among you amazing people. :)

Also, because putting things in a thread prevents me from procrastinating too much, so that I actually go work on it.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Oh I could speak about the subject of this thread so much. I am glad to have found a discussion like this, actually.

Deep down the line, it all boils down to one thing: I am, it seems, a far better worldbuilder than am a storyteller. So if I want to have something to show, why not include the best part too?

...Of course, things are much more nuanced.

The first question is, I guess, why to share it at all?

There's not much point in keeping all the worldbuilding to myself. If I do, most of it is never going to see the light of day, much of all this is still not at all projected into a story and will likely not be in the short term. More importantly, there's no improvements if I keep it to myself - it is made only of stuff I know, and that includes errors and bad practices. Sharing some of the information, even if it is limited to with my beta readers or with other writers I consult for, provides several benefits such as logic check-ups, new ideas and who knows what much else that I'd otherwise not have available.

Then there's, who to share it with?

There's one thing, and that is that while it is my personal Pokémon verse, it's not my world alone. I work with other writers, we share ideas, we share a pool of character concepts, we have starred together in RPs, and I enjoy fandoms other than Pokémon too.

All that eventually leaves an imprint in my worldbuilding and the setting that is born from it. As I've pointed out in my thread, my 'verse is reference-rich. If I can find something cool from a videogame I like to adapt it to the world of Pokémon, I will. If another writer lets me use their character for some plots, I will -and of course they will be credited. If an artist has created a portrait of one of my characters, I'll pretty much go with that as their "canon" appearance. Et cetera. You are not alone when worldbuilding, so the result, IMO, does not benefite from being yours alone either.

Added to that, I am interested in the feedback of people who do want or have a reason to to follow my creative process. If they say I am doing something wrong, what is their basis for it? Where's the proof? Do they propose something useful instead?

And finally, I guess, why do it on PokéCommunity?

I am going to admit, this is not the first place where I am posting this, however it is the first place where it is publicly structured. Most of the information and development I have is spread across several documents, some of them in Google Docs, and all in the process. And all that is in the process of being migrated over to what will one day be the Official Suocéverse Wiki.

But it's a very long road, and in the meantime I do have some organized stuff to show to people, namely my work on the Worldbuilding June prompts. And idea that has helped me (and forced me ;-) ) to shape up and organize things and I think it's coming up nicely. Plus, it gives me a FAQ to point some reviewers and contributors to when they start asking the same questions over and over...

And of all the forums I am a member of, I chose you, Pokécommunity, for pretty much the same reasons everyone else has: the awesome CSS the friendly community!

Just kidding. It is both things. :-p

The CSS capabilities in PokéCommunity are above any other major forum in the fandom and are only second to hosting your own wiki or working in one with high enough technical work put into it, such as Bulbapedia. The choices of typography are adequate, formatting with most themes is quite sane and the custom BBCode allows us to set up anchor tags to point to relevant parts of documents.

And then the people. I spent much time in FF&W's Writer's Lounge, talking about random writing advice, and always found the community very open and willing to contribute, without forcing themselves or anyone else to bash their heads on the desk. It feels here more a hobby than a job, whereas in other places (coughredditcough) it feels like you can be ostracized for not following the standard of the One True Ring.

So yeah...

There's lots of reasons why I am here, but it mostly boils down to it's the best place to show off the best I have.

And I guess, I'll also gain something from it and other's people's work on this multiverse thing as well.

Back