• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] My First Short Story: "Hope"

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • Hello! I am pretty new to this section of the forum, but I enjoy creative writing. Last year I wrote a short story (here) and quite a few poems. My usual writing consists of essays rather than storytelling, so I do not believe this story reflects my potential as a writer. In addition, I believe my writing has greatly improved recently, and as a result, I fear this story has subpar vocabulary and stylistic elements. Nevertheless, I recall being proud of this when I finished and receiving a good grade on the assignment (which did give me unwanted limitations).

I have separated the story into six short chapters and did my best to adjust the format to this medium. No worries- it is not a dense or lengthy read. I have also been debating on a name, so I just arbitrarily decided on the name "Hope." I welcome any criticism, and in fact, I encourage it! I pursue improved writing skills!

Enjoy!

Hope

Prologue

Spoiler:

I. Prison

Spoiler:

II. New Roommate

Spoiler:

III. Writing on the Floor

Spoiler:

IV. The Crime

Spoiler:

Alternative Ending

Spoiler:

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I have two very different reactions to your story depending on whether the alternate ending counts. First, let's suppose it doesn't:

You express some worry about your vocabulary and style, but on the whole I think it's okay. The main potential issue is that you include a lot of detail that is of little relevance or effect, for example which side the shorter guard is standing on. Fortunately, the sum effect of all the little details is appropriate for a narrator who's been trapped in the same room for years. It works best in the last paragraph of part II, where we get a genuine feeling for the cold, clinical monotony of the roommate's new life. For future stories, though, be sure to watch out for over-description as usually it's a liability rather than an asset. The important thing is to be deliberate about how much detail you include and how you intend it to impact the tone and story.

Here are two little stylistic things you might want to fix, though:

He takes in a deep breath, hoping to take in the smell of the overgrown grass[...]

Having "take(s) in" twice in a row doesn't read well unless there's a reason for it.

During every meal, he always sets down his tray beside him when he has finished his meal, with the plastic eating utensils and plates neatly organized on the try.

Each individual part of this sentence appears to make sense, but they don't work well together. The sentence starts with "During every meal," but nothing in the rest of the sentence describes what happens during the meal, only after. "Tray" shows up twice in an awkward way (second time misspelled, I just noticed), and this is a sign that you might be using up too much real estate with the sentence. Here's how you might reorganize things: "When he has finished his meal he always sets down his tray beside him with the plastic eating utensils and plates neatly organized on top." Notice there's only one description for when the action takes place, and the action itself has been consolidated into one clause.

There are some other little things and typos I spotted, but I'll leave you to find them. And since you said you wrote this for school last year, pardon me if you don't need these lessons anymore.

As for the "true" ending if we want to call it that--I think it's too abrupt. The main questions we have about the narrator and the roommate are answered, but their stories don't really go anywhere from there. It'd be one thing if there were burning questions still unanswered when the guards came in so that the reader feels more frustration at the injustice of it all. It might also have helped if there had been even a small prior hint that the ending was coming so the reader feels like they should have foreseen it. As it stands though the ending feels more accidental than deliberate. I had to wonder if this is where you really meant to end the story or if you were running up on the assignment deadline.

Anyway, that's how I feel about the "true" ending. Here's how I feel about the "alternative" ending (usually called "alternate," but whatever):

It's hilarious, and I love it. I literally lol'd, and I'm still grinning over it. First you see the original ending, then those extra line breaks, and then a punchline where you didn't think there'd be a punchline. I seriously love how you turned an ostensibly serious story into a stealth set-up for a joke. It works so well because you play the original ending so straight that it doesn't occur to the reader right away that there are in fact other ants. It also took away one of my original complaints which was that you didn't really need the chapter delineations and the spoiler tags when the chapters were this short; but now I don't think it'd be as funny without them.

On that note, I'd like to say welcome to FF&W! Hope to see more of your stuff here.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I have two very different reactions to your story depending on whether the alternate ending counts. First, let's suppose it doesn't:

You express some worry about your vocabulary and style, but on the whole I think it's okay. The main potential issue is that you include a lot of detail that is of little relevance or effect, for example which side the shorter guard is standing on. Fortunately, the sum effect of all the little details is appropriate for a narrator who's been trapped in the same room for years. It works best in the last paragraph of part II, where we get a genuine feeling for the cold, clinical monotony of the roommate's new life. For future stories, though, be sure to watch out for over-description as usually it's a liability rather than an asset. The important thing is to be deliberate about how much detail you include and how you intend it to impact the tone and story.

As for the "true" ending if we want to call it that--I think it's too abrupt. The main questions we have about the narrator and the roommate are answered, but their stories don't really go anywhere from there. It'd be one thing if there were burning questions still unanswered when the guards came in so that the reader feels more frustration at the injustice of it all. It might also have helped if there had been even a small prior hint that the ending was coming so the reader feels like they should have foreseen it. As it stands though the ending feels more accidental than deliberate. I had to wonder if this is where you really meant to end the story or if you were running up on the assignment deadline.

Anyway, that's how I feel about the "true" ending. Here's how I feel about the "alternative" ending (usually called "alternate," but whatever):

It's hilarious, and I love it. I literally lol'd, and I'm still grinning over it. First you see the original ending, then those extra line breaks, and then a punchline where you didn't think there'd be a punchline. I seriously love how you turned an ostensibly serious story into a stealth set-up for a joke. It works so well because you play the original ending so straight that it doesn't occur to the reader right away that there are in fact other ants. It also took away one of my original complaints which was that you didn't really need the chapter delineations and the spoiler tags when the chapters were this short; but now I don't think it'd be as funny without them.

On that note, I'd like to say welcome to FF&W! Hope to see more of your stuff here.

Thank you for the criticism!!!

To address the grammatical and spelling mistakes- I have corrected them in my writing. In particular that parallelism and mistake that was so apparent in the sentence you quoted haha. I shudder reading it now. xD I always make sure to have sentence and word-choice variety in my essays.

The emphasis on description was intentional to highlight the narrator's situation and environment. It made sense that he would have a comprehensive understanding and image of the room and guards he sees everyday. I also thought it was a good element to add to the story, which I am now aware is undesirable.

The ending was intentionally abrupt because of the assignment's length limitations, though I did want the story to be extended a bit. If you know me, I can writing is fairly irrepressible... I can write forever without ceasing. More recently I have learned to be significantly more concise and to the point (again, I write a lot of essays). However, for the sake of the story, an increase page count would have been optimal. How do I hint at an upcoming ending?

Thank you for the compliment on the alternate ending! I originally was not going to add the alternate ending because I like "bad" endings, but I am glad I did!

Now that I am reflecting more on the original ending, I was worried it was too comical for the serious story. Since when do prison guards deliberately spray pesticide throughout an entire cell for the purpose of screwing with the prisoners? You would think hatred for the prisoners would manifest in other ways. I know I did reference some brutality, but that is so inconsequential compared to an actual beating.

Years
  • I will be stuck in this never-changing, solitary cell for the rest of my life- hearing the clanging of the flap over the slit where food comes in three times a day, watching the ants mob over leftover crumbs, and witness the ever-so-slow growth of the sad mold and mildew. Only the constant dripping of water droplets from the ceiling remind me of the outside world.
    This is some good imagery here. Sights and sounds that show what it's like inside. There are other good parts, good use of imagery like the man hoping to smell the grass and flowers is another.

Overall good. Some of the more narrative sentences feel a little cumbersome. This--
    I wish I could taste the feeling of exertion and movement, which my existence as ghost is severely lacking.
    is fine. But the following sentence--
    At least I think I would be considered a ghost.
    feels like it has too many qualifiers, that is "I think" and "be considered" together feel a little redundant. I don't want to belabor the grammar points though so I'll just end by saying that it's over pretty tightly written, not meandering. Nothing feels extraneous. All of it goes to help describe the two characters' struggles, which seems to be the main theme. I would have liked to see more imagery. Sometimes it feels a little too cerebral, that is, more "telling", less "showing", but it's fine for a school piece, I think. The ending feels abrupt, not that the events can't happen suddenly, but we only get a quick few lines of what happens and little aftermath so it feels a little like it's cut off suddenly without enough payoff.

If you like the piece perhaps you could try rewriting it if you think you've improved since you wrote it. Just as an exercise, perhaps, even if you don't ever show it to anyone.

Years
  • I actually don't have any major criticisms, at least nothing stuck out to me so grandly. Iconmeanon already said the one thing I noticed at first -- too much extraneous detail -- but other than that... Nicolas said earlier that he'd be stuck in that cell hearing the food flap clanging and watching the ants mob the crumbs. Does he mean his cell? because he's dead; the guards wouldn't still be dropping trays in there. Or does he mean the others' cells? because I assumed that, being in the eliteassofcrime cell, and from some details in the story that it doesn't have bars; just a metal door.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm not a writer, but I do agree with Esper that there's a few moments where you're "telling, not showing", and as I understand it you generally want to avoid doing the former, it kinda reads better that way. One bit that stood out to me as an example of this was:
    Next his eyes look up and right to the tiny window with three steel bars -- it is tiny because the room is partially underground and the bottom of the window lines up with the dirt on the outside.
    The bolded part is very tell-y, but fuck if I know how to write it better. It's also probably just me, but using "then" instead of "next" at the beginning of the sentence sounds slightly better to me.

As for the alternate ending, I'm not sure why it needs to be an alternate ending when it's just one extra sentence, and one that imo is better to include than to not, especially considering the (tentative) title.

Still, it's pretty good though and I very much like the use of the ants as Nicolas's form of communication.

Back