• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Art & Soul: The Sequel

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024

art&soul
    the sequel

So it's been quite a while since last I was here. A lot (and I mean a lot) has happened in that span of time, including large quantities of art. I figured I'd start over with a brand new gallery since there is so much new stuff to share!

For the new folks here who are unfamiliar with me or my art, I'm a long-time artist and old PC-er that drifts back here from time to time to share what I have with the nice folks of the forums. The media I use vary wildly from traditional to digital, painting to sculpture, and occasional animation and other experimental mixes of media. The obvious constant is subject matter. I grew up enjoying nature and paleontology as much as art, as well as fantasy creatures (I don't usually do fanart anymore, and if I do, I don't post it normally, but I s'pose PC is an obscure enough place I'll let ya see it). Dragons and their ilk are an obvious staple but lately I've gone back to my love of prehistoric animals to make up for all the dinosaurs I haven't been drawing all my life.

If you are interested in my work I also have a portfolio site, an art blog, a deviantART account, and a Newgrounds account that you can check out! I'm also active on Twitter, and it's there that usually gets to see stuff first and exclusive quick doodles I sometimes don't bother to post elsewhere.

Hover over each piece for the title; click to enlarge. I have deliberately left out descriptions so as to encourage discussion :3

illustration
    Spoiler:

3D&sculpture
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler: WARNING: ARTISTIC NUDITY

pixels
    Spoiler:

paleo portraits
    Spoiler:

sketches&speedies
    Spoiler:
    fanart&fun
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    'Tis a shame there are no comments, I'm assuming everyone's just intimidated. And rightly so, I don't think I can offer any criticism. But seriously, there's some really cool stuff here (and on you dA). I'm really amazed at the texture and level of detail you achieve on these illustrations.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Haha, well thank you! :3

I think maybe there just also isn't a great deal of activity around here still? In any case I needed a fresh thread, as I have grown heaps as an artist since my last one 2 years ago. And seeing the people here and reflecting on the last decade I keep having the thought that yep, anyone can become amazing with enough time and effort, plus knowing what things you need to practice (otherwise you're just spinning your wheels). Now that I think of it, I may add a section showing hilariously old stuff I had posted here in the past in a sort of progression from the terribad to whatever point I'm at now.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    This is amazing! The problem with such amazing artwork is that you can't say much more about. It's just really ****ing incredible.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Well I certainly appreciate the sentiment! X3

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Your illustrations and pixel art is absolutely breathtaking.

The Leafeon pixel art piece is one of the best pixel art pieces I've seen to date. I can't explain what it is about it, but it just looks like it flows. It's absolutely amazing. How long do you think it took you to do that, and would you ever consider doing a Glaceon piece and having them as a set?

The first and second dragon illustrations are immense pieces of work, too. Looking at both of them makes me feel so small, I can actually feel how big the dragons are. The animated bird in the third illustration is fantastic, too, and the piece below it brings about a strange feeling of calmness. All in all, this is some excellent artwork. You should be proud of your abilities. :]

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thank you! :3

That pixel art is all far older than everything else, and most of it was actually for pixel art contests here in 2009 and 2010! Hopefully they'll bring those things back I probably won't do a Glaceon but I will probably do some more pixel art in the (maybe near?) future! As for how long it took, I can't for the life of me remember as it was over 5 years ago, but I do remember the technique. Basically I did a pencil drawing, scanned it, and then pixeled over it with Leafeon's palette from 4th gen.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    and i didn't post here yet how??

Okay, first, your art is remarkable. But you don't need me to tell you that. You already know it, don't you? You don't get that good because you don't work for it. I mean, yeah, natural talent takes the lion's share of the gradual incline to artistic achievement, but I can tell you've invested yourself beyond that point. Needless to say, your effort is paying off exponentially.

Second, I think the most remarkable part of your work isn't just the immeasurable beauty of it; but how I, as an audience member, feel so innately inspired while viewing it. I don't often find myself agape moderating these forums (not to say the artists here aren't good, but when it truly transcends that stereotypical definition), and it always comes as such a pleasant surprise for me. It makes me proud, in a real self indulgent kind of way. I really get the sense of vastness and endless possibility in your art. The feeling it gives me, viewing it, makes me want to create and evokes real emotion. In my personal opinion, that is probably the best thing you can do as an artist. It makes me feel inspired.

You are doing astounding work here.
    yo this **** be tight

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Goodness me, thank you!

Well yeah it took like more than 20 years to get this far (or like 4-5 if you count from where I started viewing my art as more than a hobby and became less nonchalant about it, but I still had a whole childhood of at least doings stuff by that point) and honestly since I spend all my time on professional-art-centric places on the internet (or as much time as I can before I am soul-crushed with envy), I am still a total noob even though I might stick way out in a humble and not-necessarily-about-art place like this. There's some truly jaw-dropping artists I first saw on here though, that I wish were still around or would post art again. I'd tell stories but I'll save that for the other thingy :D

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Bumping 'cause holy time-warp you guys, the ridiculously long retrospective has been added now! Also Happy Halloween! :D

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    That was a really interesting read. The art is really really amazing.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Here's something - first pixel art I've done in like 4 years!
    pixelsaurus_zpska5x2efy.gif

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Looks great! I have a bit of trouble figurig out it's face but it does look amazing! Is it based on your signature?

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    No, it's a different species, but they're both dinosaurs (this is Deinonychus and the one in my sig is Microraptor). The dark part on the front of the snout and the feet are naked skin, the rest is its feathers.

Thanks! :3

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Holy balls you are an amazing artist! By far some of the best art I've seen on PC.

Are you a Game Grumps fan by chance? Just got that idea by the alligator jigglin' fever picture lol.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thank you! Yeah, that is some GG fanimation, and I do indeed watch the show :3

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • Excuse me while I go spend an hour crying my soul out, from jealousy, contempt, and self dissatisfaction. ;-;

This art is truly astounding. And... that's coming from somebody who comes from a family of artists.
    I'm always on the lookout for things that can invoke a feeling and a sense of a fantasy world, that dwells gracefully on the edge of imagination and the point of being unfathomable. Such pieces as your doglike sculpture, and the second illustration shown are certainly at that point, and to be honest a little past it!

I really can't think of what to say! This is just amazing!

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thanks so much! Haha, yeah that's how I feel when I look on ArtStation at all the real pros

That's cool, art runs in my family too (just mom's side, though). I do certainly try to evoke grace and majesty in fantasy stuff, as it is my favorite part of fantasy - distilling something to its symbolicness.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    New piece in the fanart section. Also, I've finally gotten around to adding a new section for a project I started a couple months ago, Paleo Portraits!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • Your gallery is gorgeous. I checked out your site and it's just as beautiful!
    I just wanted to ask, what programs do you typically use (if you feel like telling me haha)?

Your art is very inspirational, and I enjoy your subjects! <3 I look forward to seeing more.

Back