• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What operating system(s) do you use?

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    Personally I use Windows 8.1 on my main laptop. IT runs very well and I like the Metro parts of it very well. The charms are quite helpful and hybrid boot helps make the boot up time much faster.

I use android on my phone (4.1, Huawei Y200) and tablet (4.3, Nexus 7 2012).

So what operating systems do you use? Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one? And do any of you use a linux distro?

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Ubuntu 13.10 on my desktop. My phone is running Paranoid Android 3.99 rc2 which is Android 4.3 and my tablet is the same as well.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • My computer is a Windows 7 and it's my family's computer. Kind of stinks sharing a computer but I'll deal with it till I can buy a laptop of my own. When I do get a laptop of my own, I'm most likely gonna be forced (in a way) to get Windows 8 cause there's barely any Windows 7s out there anymore (in stores that is) and Macbooks are a bit too expensive for my taste. When I had an iPod Touch I think the OS was iOS 4.2.1 since that's the highest upgrade a 2nd gen iPod Touch can go up to unfortunately.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • On the PC/Tablet side, I'm using Arch Linux, OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Windows 8.1, and Windows 7, depending on what I do.
    On my Tablet, I most likely open up Arch Linux, and preferably use the Awesome Window Manager (that's how it's called), where I can use the entire OS, using just my Keyboard.
    I only use Windows 8.1 on it when making invoices.
    My iMac runs purely OS X 10.9.
    My Mac Mini and MacBook Pro both run Windows 7, as they're my Nintendo Development Environments.

I run Android 4.3 on my Phone, and I'm looking whether I want to switch to Windows Phone 8, or to iOS 7.x, but I think it'll be Windows Phone 8.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • My laptop computer is a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC that's running Windows 7 Home Premium.

My MP3 player is a black 16GB iPod Touch (4th Generation) that's running iOS 6.1.3.

My basic slider cell phone is a Samsung Brightside that's running Brew Mobile Platform 1.0.2.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Both my laptop and my desktop run Windows 7. My server runs Windows Server 2003 SP1 (going to upgrade it sooner or later, just lazy). My tablet runs Android 4.3 Jellybean (Nexus 7!) and my iPod Touch 4G runs iOS 6.1.3.

Years
  • OS X here. I have a Windows 7 Professional partition as well but it's mostly for games and I've not logged into it for a month or two now. Parents' computer has Windows Vista.. ugh. :(

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • W7 on older laptop and W8 on the newer one. I won't update on W8.1 'cause it has Start Button.
    I'll probably update on W8.2 if it does happen and will have the choice to hide Start Button =D
    And my tablet runs Android 4.0

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Sadly I have Vista 32-bit, which is terrible, and pretty much useless for rom hacking.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    On my main computer, I'm running Ubuntu with Unity desktop environment. I used to have GNOME, but decided to dump it; I just didn't like how complicated it was. ): I may give it another try, though. Lots of changes have been made to it during the last few months, such as the merge of window title-bars and menu-bars. Click here if you want to see what I'm talking about. Looks quite beautiful, doesn't it? On my secondary computer, I have OSX Leopard installed; it's an iBook G4. I bought it years ago, and it's still in new condition. I take this computer with me whenever I go somewhere far. My parents' computer runs Windows 8, but I don't use it at all--I dislike the operating system. My phone's got Android 4.3, and iPad has the latest version of iOS. Out of these devices, I use iPad the most. I love how light it is, and its interface is just eeee. <3

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't like the Unity Desktop Environment, it's really bloated, and it feels like a Mobile Interface.
    I have used Gnome 3 on Arch Linux, it's a bit better than Unity, but it still has that Mobile Interface feeling.
    I could have switched to KDE, but it's even more bloated than Unity and Gnome 3 together.
    That's why I chose Awesome.
    Awesome is not a Desktop Environment (it's a Window Manager), and it allows me to use most Apps side-by-side (meaning I can see all Apps running in one view), it comes with 9 Desktops by default, and no Mouse is required (meaning less chance on RSI).

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Windows 8 for me. Still haven't really upgraded to 8.1 yet but I refuse to. xD I'm perfectly fine with 8.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I have some issues with my laptop and I'm probably going to have to redo my OS... Pondering if I should upgrade to 8.1 now or not haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    So what operating systems do you use?
    I've proven to be one of the more abiding users of Windows XP. My primary laptop runs Windows 95.

Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one?
    Well, that's a funny question, and depends upon what is considered to be an upgrade. For me, personally, there's nothing better than XP; but, yes, I have pondered upon what I stand to gain and lose by moving on to Windows 7 or Linux.

And do any of you use a linux distro?
    Despite my previous sentence, I don't even know the first real thing about Linux. Nor where to start learning, if there's anyone willing to help with that...

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm running Windows XP on my computer, and much like Cassino, if I had to upgrade I wouldn't mind going with Windows 7 (don't really like the Windows 8 on my sister's laptop), but I'm still a fan of XP. It wouldn't surprise me if I have to upgrade in the near future though, as my computer's getting pretty old at this point. I'm also running iOS 6.1.3 on my iPod Touch, which is the final update available for it.

Back