• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2017
    @Buffel Saft : I have a problem: If I want to build the revised folder to a CIA, the console works, but the new CIA file is not to be found! Need help!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    @Buffel Saft : I have a problem: If I want to build the revised folder to a CIA, the console works, but the new CIA file is not to be found! Need help!

Is this the 3DS hacking toolkit or 3ds simple cia converter that's not working for you? You could try using the "CFW installation guide" on my google drive instead of the one included with the download, as it uses a different tool that might work better for you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Did you change any of the script or dialogue? If so which ones?

I haven't changed any scripts, as there's no way easy way to edit them yet. I did change the dialogue of two NPCs who hand out different TMs due to the TM changes, though.

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
    Years
  • Hey, if I wanted to use Wilting Y as a base for my own public hack, would that be permissible? Full credit and a link back to this thread would be supplied.
    I haven't really started anything yet, I want to clear this with you before I do anything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hey, if I wanted to use Wilting Y as a base for my own public hack, would that be permissible? Full credit and a link back to this thread would be supplied.
    I haven't really started anything yet, I want to clear this with you before I do anything.

Yeah, I have no problem with that. Thanks for asking for permission first! I look forward to seeing what you do with Wilting Y.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I know I said I wasn't going to release any more updates for EXWY, but Luma's new patching feature makes it so easy to test things I couldn't help it. Here's a quick overview of version 2.0:

• Download folders are now set up for use with Luma CFW's game patching feature. Those of you using Luma can just drag and drop to install the game, provided that you already have X or Y
    • Pokemon changes from Sun and Moon have been added to the rebalanced and insanity versions (Drought Torkoal, Jump Kick Dodrio, etc.)
    • Insanity now has actual effort put into it; I've gone through almost every trainer in the game and made a lot of changes. Several gym leaders have entirely new teams and gimmicks
    • Fixed a minor oversight (Sceptile was still pure grass-type)
    • Changed a few more Pokemon
    Full details are available in the changelog and documents. Enjoy!

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2018
    Any way (or plans) to make this patch work with the newest 1.5 version?
    By the way, stupid question, but can I still play online without having the latest version?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Any way (or plans) to make this patch work with the newest 1.5 version?
    By the way, stupid question, but can I still play online without having the latest version?

A few people have tried to get the hack working with 1.5, but from what I understand no one got it working perfectly. However, MightyBirdy managed to make a 1.1 update that spoofs the 1.5 update, which should let you go online (I keep forgetting to upload this, I'll get it updated and uploaded today), but at the cost of losing a few of the mod's features.

You can't go online without being on the latest version, and I wouldn't recommend going online with the hack anyway - even some of the Pokemon in the legal version will show up as hacked, due to having incorrect met locations, or having their hidden ability without having the HA flag set (this is because the only viable way to make hidden abilities available in XY was to replace regular abilities with them).

Also, for anyone having trouble with Wilting Y, I'm aware there are a few problems with the download pack and will have a fix up ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience!

EDIT: The fix for WY is up, it should be working now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2018
    You can't go online without being on the latest version, and I wouldn't recommend going online with the hack anyway - even some of the Pokemon in the legal version will show up as hacked, due to having incorrect met locations, or having their hidden ability without having the HA flag set (this is because the only viable way to make hidden abilities available in XY was to replace regular abilities with them).

I see, I just thought that the whole point of existing these "legal" (or "legit" in the case of Rutile Ruby) versions of ROM hacks in general was to not spoil the main features and mechanics of the game, so that we could still enjoy the online features.

Sooo if I understood you correctly I might as well just use the "chaotic" version of the hack, so to speak, since all you get is a modified "Single player" experience anyway.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I see, I just thought that the whole point of existing these "legal" (or "legit" in the case of Rutile Ruby) versions of ROM hacks in general was to not spoil the main features and mechanics of the game, so that we could still enjoy the online features.

Sooo if I understood you correctly I might as well just use the "chaotic" version of the hack, so to speak, since all you get is a modified "Single player" experience anyway.

That's understandable, though I don't think I've seen any ROM hacks other than Dio Vento's that bothered to keep the Pokemon you catch legal for online use. The legal versions were made so that people who don't like Pokemon changes would have the option to play the hacks without them, but still have access to hidden abilities, egg moves and transfer-only moves.

This does get brought up pretty often though, I'll see if I can get an online-friendly version built out of MightyBirdy's .cias. Bear in mind you'd have to breed all of the Pokemon you want to use to make them legal, though.

EDIT: I've just uploaded an extra version of the hacks that can be used online. The level curve will be atrocious until you get the exp share, but other than that there shouldn't be any problems with it. I'll most likely fix it at some point, but I need a bit of break from ROM hacking for a few days.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2022
    Sorry if you answered this already, but I can't find a solution to my issue.

I want to install Wilting Y since I have a legal physical copy of the game, but for some reason when I start a new game, I'm not seeing the edits of the game at all. I deleted the update off of my DS before erasing the saved data on my game, and it's not working.

There's one thing I noticed is that in the hans folder, in the Wilting Y download, I noticed the icon's names are Eternal X. Does that matter if I use Wilting Y? Does it affect installation? I'm trying to use the Legal patch if it helps any.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Sorry if you answered this already, but I can't find a solution to my issue.

I want to install Wilting Y since I have a legal physical copy of the game, but for some reason when I start a new game, I'm not seeing the edits of the game at all. I deleted the update off of my DS before erasing the saved data on my game, and it's not working.

There's one thing I noticed is that in the hans folder, in the Wilting Y download, I noticed the icon's names are Eternal X. Does that matter if I use Wilting Y? Does it affect installation? I'm trying to use the Legal patch if it helps any.

The icon names definitely shouldn't have been Eternal X, that's probably why it wasn't working. The icons are tied to a shortcut that uses the base game's title ID to work, so the icons for X won't work with Y. It looks like I incorrectly replaced a few folders while making the 2.0 update, so the shortcuts for Y were replaced with the ones for X. I've just uploaded a fixed version now; re-downloading and reinstalling should fix the problem. Sorry for the hassle!

Thanks for letting me know about this. I haven't had to update the hans files in quite a while, so I just assumed they were still working, and probably wouldn't ever have noticed they weren't otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2022
    No problem. And I did confirm that my issue was with the missing Wilting Y Han files. I copied it over from the rebalanced folders and it's working now.

I'm loving the hack so far. Thanks for making XYBtons more fun.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Aw man, I wish I knew how to play these things. This looks fun lol
    If you have a 3DS that hasn't been updated to 11.4, you can follow one of the links in the OP to get it set up to play the game; XY still doesn't work on the 3DS emulator as far as I know, so playing on the actual console is the only way to do it for now.

How to Play:

Download the game files from the link above, then follow one of the included installation guides. If you have Luma custom firmware, I highly recommend using the Quick Install guide; this is a simple drag-and-drop process, and doesn't require you to build anything.
    If you don't have custom firmware, you can either head over to https://3ds.guide/ to get Luma set up, or play via the homebrew channel and HANS, which you can find out about here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/. Note that your firmware version may be unable to run homebrew if you've kept it up-to-date.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2021
    Hey Buffel. I'm glad to see you're still responding to comments. First of all I just want to say that this is a great mod. What I really like are ability capsules, which just simply gives much more options for party building. What I like even more is how you moved most of the TMs before the Elite Four. And what I like most is how you document everything.

I do have a few suggestions about movesets. These are not bugs, but merely my own opinions.
    • You definitely made Farfetch'd more fun. However, the typing change means it lost a guaranteed crit STAB in Slash. The only increased crit Fighting move is Karate Chop, and with 50 BP, a guaranteed crit is just the same as normal Brick Break. If you changed Karate Chop to 70 BP and well as adding increased crit to Aerial Ace (which equates to a one-turn Fly that never misses), then that's perfect!
    • Flareon is definitely much better with the increased speed. But Flare Blitz sort of overpowers everything else Flareon learns. For example, Flareon learns Ground and Rock moves, but STAB Flare Blitz is more damage than super-effective Dig and Strength! I would go all in with the recoil and give it moves like Head Smash and Jump Kick.
    • I love how you introduced punches as TMs, but is it possible to add more? Pokemon XY doesn't have ORAS's move tutors, and having Beedrill learning Drill Run in XY for example would be pretty dope. Even though it learns Drill Run in ORAS, you can't even capture Weedle in ORAS until very late into the game as a hidden Pokemon!
    • Other ORAS tutor moves that could make great TMs are Bounce, Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Aqua Tail, Dragon Pulse, Seed Bomb, Heat Wave, Earth Power (so you don't have to add them as level up moves), and Outrage.
    • Some of the old signature moves like Octazooka and Rolling Kick/Triple Kick are quite outdated in terms of feasibility. A buff to these moves would be wonderful!

And finally, I like how Wailord is huge in the documentation. Nice.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hey Buffel. I'm glad to see you're still responding to comments. First of all I just want to say that this is a great mod. What I really like are ability capsules, which just simply gives much more options for party building. What I like even more is how you moved most of the TMs before the Elite Four. And what I like most is how you document everything.

I do have a few suggestions about movesets. These are not bugs, but merely my own opinions.
    • You definitely made Farfetch'd more fun. However, the typing change means it lost a guaranteed crit STAB in Slash. The only increased crit Fighting move is Karate Chop, and with 50 BP, a guaranteed crit is just the same as normal Brick Break. If you changed Karate Chop to 70 BP and well as adding increased crit to Aerial Ace (which equates to a one-turn Fly that never misses), then that's perfect!
    • Flareon is definitely much better with the increased speed. But Flare Blitz sort of overpowers everything else Flareon learns. For example, Flareon learns Ground and Rock moves, but STAB Flare Blitz is more damage than super-effective Dig and Strength! I would go all in with the recoil and give it moves like Head Smash and Jump Kick.
    • I love how you introduced punches as TMs, but is it possible to add more? Pokemon XY doesn't have ORAS's move tutors, and having Beedrill learning Drill Run in XY for example would be pretty dope. Even though it learns Drill Run in ORAS, you can't even capture Weedle in ORAS until very late into the game as a hidden Pokemon!
    • Other ORAS tutor moves that could make great TMs are Bounce, Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Aqua Tail, Dragon Pulse, Seed Bomb, Heat Wave, Earth Power (so you don't have to add them as level up moves), and Outrage.
    • Some of the old signature moves like Octazooka and Rolling Kick/Triple Kick are quite outdated in terms of feasibility. A buff to these moves would be wonderful!

And finally, I like how Wailord is huge in the documentation. Nice.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post this. It's always nice to get feedback that isn't a bug report (though I do appreciate those too), and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the mod.
    I'll try to address each of your bullet points individually:

• Farfetch'd can actually score a critical 100% of the time with any move, as long as you have it hold a Stick and its ability is Super Luck; this combination raises its critical stage to +3, which is the same stage you get from something like Focus Energy + Scope Lens. The idea was that you'd have to choose either free attack boosts from Defiant, or guaranteed crits from Super Luck. That said, I do like the idea of Karate Chop being upgraded to a Slash clone. There's a good chance I'll add that to the game some time.
    • I could definitely give Flareon some more moves to work with. Jump Kick sounds like a good idea, though I'd probably give it to Eevee so that Leafeon learns it too, and go with Stone Edge over Head Smash.
    • As for the TMs, unfortunately the only way to add new ones is to replace the existing ones. It's technically possible to expand the TM list, but it would be very difficult, and giving them to the player without a script editor would be just as hard. I'd love to do it, but I just don't have the skills to do so in a 3DS game. Most of the useful tutor moves should be available by leveling up or from the move reminder, though, so you still have access to them (including Drill Run Beedrill).
    • Buffing the old signature moves is a good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Good to know someone appreciates the giant Wailord! It's a shame it wasn't huge in the games too.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Yeah, I have no problem with that. Thanks for asking for permission first! I look forward to seeing what you do with Wilting Y.

Hey, I love your hack and am also really interested in using it as a base. I'm still learning how to ROM hack 3ds games as I haven't really been involved in anything related to ROM hacking for around 5 years now. Do you have any software you'd recommend to get started? I've already gotten what is listed in the credits.

Back