• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are some future things/inventions/technologies we will never live to see

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2021
    What will humans born in the 1990's like myself miss seeing that will come only in the far distant future?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Depends on how fast exactly things advance, how long each of us lives, etc

Like I could say that we won't see interstellar travel in our lifetimes, but then maybe shit suddenly gets all Mass Effect-esque and ~40 years from now we discover the secret to easy galactic travel on Mars or something

?\_(?)_/?

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • Depends on how fast exactly things advance, how long each of us lives, etc

Like I could say that we won't see interstellar travel in our lifetimes, but then maybe **** suddenly gets all Mass Effect-esque and ~40 years from now we discover the secret to easy galactic travel on Mars or something

?\_(?)_/?

That's not very unlikely, in the early 1900s it was estimated that it would have took humans around 1000 years to build a working "flying machine" (aka aircraft)... well look at us now.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Probably world peace. :P

Oh wait, but it's inventions. I think we will see interplanetary travel, but we probably won't see travel to other star systems. It sucks too, because I want to see some aliens. :(

Years
  • A society that utilizes flying cars.

Flying cars are already a thing, the problem is they cost more than a quarter of a million dollars and they look incredibly impractical to use on the road. So I suppose at the moment they're more like smaller planes than anything else. But the existence of them certainly may mean that flying cars are closer than we thought to reality, but we'll see.

Years
  • We won't live long enough to witness mankind achieve Type 1 status on the Kardeshev Scale. We're very close at 0.7+ though, nor we'll see an AI on par with "Sunny" (or was it "Sonny?") from Irobots.

Years
  • I bet you 5 imaginary dollars that we most certainly will in our lifetimes. :P

Lol :p
    I just think It's easier to create a cold and calculating AI than create one with a "soul" a sense of humour, emotions etc. I guess it's not impossible for it to happen in our lifetime either, thx to Moore's Law. At that stage they won't simply be machines anymore..

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Flying cars are already a thing, the problem is they cost more than a quarter of a million dollars and they look incredibly impractical to use on the road. So I suppose at the moment they're more like smaller planes than anything else. But the existence of them certainly may mean that flying cars are closer than we thought to reality, but we'll see.
    Why on the road? I'm taking about the real deal: flying above your head, hovering in-place and all the good shit.

Those aren't flying cars, not by a long shot. They're merely prototypes, if anything proof of concepts, nothing that'd evolve anytime soon into something that you'll see as an every day necessety to get around.

Years
  • Why on the road? I'm taking about the real deal: flying above your head, hovering in-place and all the good shit.

Those aren't flying cars, not by a long shot. They're merely prototypes, if anything proof of concepts, nothing that'd evolve anytime soon into something that you'll see as an every day necessety to get around.
    Even with flying cars, they would need to land somewhere, and it could still cause aviation as a whole to get messed up.

This is why drone flyers need to have licenses in many areas - so that they do not interfere with aviation operations at all.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Teleportation technology. Time Travel devices. Wormhole-generation devices. Force-field technology.

Last edited:
    Back