• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Confirmed to be the Final Main 3DS Games for Pokémon

pkmin3033

Lol what a bold statement. You seem to be mistaking Nintendo with The Pokémon Company and Game Freak. Check yourself before you wreck yourself my friend.
    You honestly think they wouldn't keep making Pokemon titles on the 3DS if Nintendo weren't going to stop supporting the device within the next year or so? You buy that corporate bollocks they're spouting about doing "all they can do" with the 3DS?

...good for you, I guess. Also, if you could be less insulting, that'd be great, thanks.

Years
  • I genuinely don't get the concern, though.

We've had Pokemon handhelds for over 20 years. Pokemon has been on a handheld longer than some people on this forum have been alive. And traditionally, Pokemon has always moved on to new system after new system. From GB to GBA, from GBA to DS carts and from regular DS carts to 3DS carts. What Game Freak is doing is no different from what they've always been doing for like, ever.

Sucks for some of you that this is the end of the line, though. But don't act like you were suddenly surprised by this announcement by any means; this was obvious since.... June-ish at least?

Pokemon is going to become bigger and better than ever. I admit that I don't own a Switch myself yet, but I'm more excited than ever to own one because of the possibilities that Game Freak can achieve on the Switch in comparison to the 3DS games. Think of the new graphics, new features, things like that! It's the very reason why I always personally felt games like Pokemon Colosseum and XD on the Gamecube (of all things, really) were more immerse than their main series counterparts.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    This might end up to be my breaking point with the franchise. I'd really need to save up for it and I actually would like to see any promos and gameplay footage before I commit myself to doing that. There's probably a 1-2 year gap before that, but I'm not even excited for it. I'm genuinely sad to see the franchise leave the handheld families (because it's very unlikely NIntendo will release another handheld without a flagship like Pokémon). At least I, personally, still have a lot to do on the handheld games (playing Gen VI), and as long as they keep Wi-Fi services ongoing I will not be outraged.

I hope GameFreak won't shoot themselves in the foot either. The Switch's biggest problem at this moment is the lack of stock price, and I hope it won't end up pushing a lot of kids away from the games because their parents think a Switch is too expensive. My parents would've definitely thought that.

(It's also gonna be really weird to 'switch' back to one screen now.)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • First off..... Nintendo Switch is still a handheld gaming system.

Second, the price of a Nintendo 3DS was $249 when it first came out, then went down to $169. And the newest 3DS was $200 and still is 200. The Nintendo Switch is $300 so I fail to see a reason to complain about the price. People are buying that crap up like hot cakes. Not to mention the price will likely go down before the next pokemon game.

I will be buying a Nintendo Switch just for pokemon games, but they need to get some quantity control so it isn't so freaking hard to buy.

Also, most people will buy the Switch. They don't care about the price. It is a console. Even parents know the amount needed.

Next, why they hell would they make Pokemon games only for the newest 3DS, it is the same damn technology it just adds amibos and some other extra. When they said last 3DS game, they actually meant the LAST 3DS GAME.

And to the people saying you can't take a pokemon game series on a console, are you serious? We were able to play Ruby and Sapphire on the TV as long as we had a special adapter. How can you possibly say you can't take it seriously? I mean seriously.... Link, Mario.... they all were handhelds for the most part and they easily changed between the two for main series games, so why the hell can't pokemon?

You should have known that once the Switch started selling like hot cakes, that pokemon would eventually move to it. Especially since Switch is still a Handheld. A far more advanced handheld, but still a handheld.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2018
    Can people just shut up on the i can't get the switch because it's cost too much ? the game will be out in late 2019... it's more than enough time to save money.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I can't see parents buying their kids a switch just because "Pokemon's on Switch now".

Isn't the Switch bigger then the 3ds? This is why I had so much hurting in my wrists when I first played the 3ds, it was heavier then the gameboy advance sp and it actually hurt to hold for more then 30 minutes. This looks even heavier and bigger then it. I didn't buy the xl, the regular one was heavier alone. As if thats needed.

Oh well I have to see the games first because if they are like gen 7 I can skip.

Last edited:

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • You honestly think they wouldn't keep making Pokemon titles on the 3DS if Nintendo weren't going to stop supporting the device within the next year or so? You buy that corporate bollocks they're spouting about doing "all they can do" with the 3DS?

...good for you, I guess. Also, if you could be less insulting, that'd be great, thanks.

Oh, I'm supposed to take this toxic spatter towards Nintendo/Game Freak seriously? My bad. You said something entirely false, then used that flawed logic to insult the company entertaining you for years. So you made the first move, friend.

And what were you expecting exactly? "Hi, there's a Switch game coming in 2018 but don't worry we'll keep making Pokemon games for the 3DS that you've had for at least 4 years and doesn't even know what HD is." That's incredibly unrealistic.

The Switch is the future for Nintendo, put plainly. Just because they're moving on from the 6 year old 3DS, doesn't mean it's a corporate anti-consumer scam or whatever nonsense you keep promoting.

Last edited:

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    You honestly think they wouldn't keep making Pokemon titles on the 3DS if Nintendo weren't going to stop supporting the device within the next year or so? You buy that corporate bollocks they're spouting about doing "all they can do" with the 3DS?

I mean, they pretty much have done everything they could do with the 3DS? The hardware is six freaking years old, and it's age is clearly showing (the lag in SM was real...). It's time to move on.

I mean, I guess they could've made the next games New 3DS exclusive or something, but that wouldn't really fix too much...

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Note to all: if you can save $1 every day until the release of Pokemon Switch, you'll be able to afford a Switch. Assuming it doesn't release super early, but also assuming you buy it at full price.

Obviously for some people money is stupidly tight and there are better things they could spend $30 a month on - that's fine, you do what you need to do. But that doesn't make it a mistake on the Pokemon Company's part.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I am actually not particularly fond of the Switch; for me it doesn't feel like a true handheld (more like a regular console with handheld option) and its add-ons like the JoyPad are mad expensive. So even if I had the money I would be reluctant to buy it, really. But still, saving €1 a day is not gonna work if you 1) don't have a stable income, 2) are met with unexpected purchases and bills, which is what happens to everyone.

The only way I would buy a Switch right away is if it's gonna be a 2D Pokémon, but that would be a waste considering the graphical capabilities of the Switch. So yeah, not my thing.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • It's an issue with me that I hate on the Switch.
    Remember guys, they DID say Switch is not going to replace the 3DS, so they might move on to another console with the main game (With releasing Pokemon to both Switch and that console).
    The money isn't the issue for me-- Switch is. I hate it.

Can people just shut up on the i can't get the switch because it's cost too much ? the game will be out in late 2019... it's more than enough time to save money.

And can you shut up because not everyone live on the top of luxury like you.
    This is a forum, everyone are entitled to their opinions, this is what threads are for.
    If it doesn't appeal to you then kindly learn to respect others' voices.

Last edited:

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    It's an issue with me that I hate on the Switch.
    Remember guys, they DID say Switch is not going to replace the 3DS, so they might move on to another console with the main game (With releasing Pokemon to both Switch and that console).
    The money isn't the issue for me-- Switch is. I hate it.
    Let's be honest, they aren't gonna make a 3DS replacement. The Switch is selling well and is both a home console and a portable. There'd be no reason to make another handheld.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Let's be honest, they aren't gonna make a 3DS replacement. The Switch is selling well and is both a home console and a portable. There'd be no reason to make another handheld.

The problem is the 3DS now seems to be stagnating, because Nintendo haven't conceived a replacement for it. Not just because it's over 7 years old, but the gimmicks that came with the console, like the 3D and gyro controls, were only abused early on in the system's cycle. Now it's just a glorified DSi, which isn't helped by the fact that the 2DS is pretty much that just without 3D, so it would kinda defeat the object to require the 3D to proceed through games if you only owned a 2DS.

Well then again, there is the Switch, which is pretty much a console/handheld hybrid, but it was marketed as the successor to the Wii U, without anything being said about the 3DS, which is just...there.

pkmin3033

A 3DS successor isn't entirely out of the question, if there is sufficient interest and demand...and there will be. Don't think so? Just remember that there is still a niche market for PS Vita titles in the West, and think about how popular the 3DS is versus the PS Vita. If Nintendo have any business sense whatsoever - which they might; anti-consumer they may be, from a business standpoint a lot of their choices make sense - there will be a 3DS successor. Or, at the very least, a Switch Mini, more on par with the XL handheld sizes and at an affordable price point. That might seem like the more likely option, but then, this is Nintendo. Putting the NES/SNES Classic Mini games on the Switch Virtual Console would have seemed like a more logical move too.

What I'm most salty about is that its unlikely the Switch Pokemon game will come to the New 3DS. The New 3DS is more than capable of improving performance - it ran Hyrule Warriors at a more consistent frame rate than the Wii U. It squeezed in Xenoblade Chornicles 3D with fairly good resolution all things considered with no noticeable slowdown. It has Fire Emblem Warriors. The 3DS might be old, but the New 3DS is a pretty solid improvement. That could have at least three or four more years of life in it, and another generation of Pokemon titles. It should, in fact. There is no excuse for it not to.

I refuse to accept that it couldn't handle a Pokemon game built on the Switch too, and considering the visual upgrade likely will not be that substantial - although this does depend on the time we wait for release I would imagine - there is literally no excuse for them not to put it onto the New 3DS. Even the install base argument won't work, because it's been a while now since you could actually buy the old models, and even the standard sized 3DS has been phased out. It's industry bullshit, plain and simple.

Years
  • If there was going to be a 3DS handheld successor you would think Nintendo would've announced the such by now instead of ~* extremely colorful *~ 2DS models like they've been doing the past couple of months.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Not necessarily. Announcing it now would mean they wouldn't make as much money off those colourful 2DS models, and it might even negatively impact Switch sales on top of that...it seems unlikely, but then, I suspect part of the drive for the Switch - deliberate early stock shortages to drive later sales aside - is this perspective that it will be Nintendo's only console by the beginning of 2019 or so. The 3DS will definitely be around for at least another year - we already have several games announced for 2018 - so announcing the successor now would make little sense. Closer to the time of its outright discontinuation, perhaps. Or even as early as E3 next year, depending on what is on the cards.

Not only that, but Nintendo like to "surprise" people, so if it's anything other than a fully finalised and realised idea, they're not going to breath a word of it to anyone. That's how they've always done things. This wouldn't be any different. There have been exceptions to the rule, but by and large, when Nintendo reveal something, they're not far off from releasing it to the general public...and we sure as hell won't see a 3DS successor early next year, or probably even Winter 2018, if it even exists.

tl;dr I'd say it's too soon to rule out the possibility...especially considering its been talked about and not ruled out by those in the position to make it happen. That the Switch ISN't a successor to the 3DS throws the doors wide open, too.

Back