• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Confirmed to be the Final Main 3DS Games for Pokémon

Years
  • Whats the point of a ""3DS successor"" if the New 3DS' potential, as you imply, has barely been tapped into? It would make more sense to release Pokemon as New 3DS exclusive rather than trash it for an entirely new handheld line. What's the point of the announcement if Iwao and Ohmori could just announce that future Pokemon titles would be New 3DS exclusives, instead?

Pokemon on the 3DS line as we know it is likely done for, no matter how you try to cherrypick the news, really.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

It would make more sense, but they'd probably use the install base argument for that - I mean, Nintendo already made the mistake of not differentiating two of their systems properly with the Wii and Wii U, and the New 3DS IS the 3DS, just with a more powerful processor. That makes it capable of more, but the general public isn't going to know/care about any of that - that'd be why the number of N3DS exclusives is so thin on the ground. The 3DS line is also still haunted by the failure of its primary gimmick of 3D no matter which way you cut it, so starting afresh with a new system would make more sense there. There are plenty of very valid and plausible reasons to create a 3DS successor.

True enough, but then, a 3DS successor would not be a part of the 3DS line, would it? Really, it's a separate point from the news.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Or, at the very least, a Switch Mini
    Would 100% buy if they did this actually.

What I'm most salty about is that its unlikely the Switch Pokemon game will come to the New 3DS. The New 3DS is more than capable of improving performance - it ran Hyrule Warriors at a more consistent frame rate than the Wii U. It squeezed in Xenoblade Chornicles 3D with fairly good resolution all things considered with no noticeable slowdown. It has Fire Emblem Warriors. The 3DS might be old, but the New 3DS is a pretty solid improvement. That could have at least three or four more years of life in it, and another generation of Pokemon titles. It should, in fact. There is no excuse for it not to.
    I think too little people are aware of the N3DS' existence or what exactly it improved, so the O3DS and N3DS are a bit too similar to differentiate games between, really. The few N3DS-exclusive games seemed kinda gimmicky too, even though the improved processor is definitely something worth exploiting. Alas, I think there will not be many more N3DS-exclusive titles, and it remains unsure whether the Switch is the successor of the 3DS or if they will actually come with a new handheld system. I'd prefer a new handheld generation, just because I think it allows for creativity if the handheld and console markets are kept separate.

pkmin3033

Would 100% buy if they did this actually.
    Well, it's a popular theory amongst analysts, so who knows? I think it's fairly plausible personally, especially if the Switch will ultimately be Nintendo's only gaming platform in the future. They'll need to make that appeal to as many people as possible and, even if the Switch is designed to be portable, the fact remains that you can't carry it around in your pocket, and it IS very expensive. It needs its equivalent of the 2DS, if they're going solo with it.

I think too little people are aware of the N3DS' existence or what exactly it improved, so the O3DS and N3DS are a bit too similar to differentiate games between, really. The few N3DS-exclusive games seemed kinda gimmicky too, even though the improved processor is definitely something worth exploiting. Alas, I think there will not be many more N3DS-exclusive titles, and it remains unsure whether the Switch is the successor of the 3DS or if they will actually come with a new handheld system. I'd prefer a new handheld generation, just because I think it allows for creativity if the handheld and console markets are kept separate.
    Those differences aren't really noticeable unless you play certain games, either - have you tried playing Hyrule Warriors on an old 3DS? I have. It's painful. A lot of later 3DS titles run so much more smoothly on the N3DS, but in a way it's just a mid (or late) cycle upgrade, much the same way the PS4 Pro is to the PS4. Most people aren't going to know or care what the difference is, even though there IS a difference. It would not sit well with a lot of people if suddenly they couldn't play any 3DS games on their 3DS because it was the wrong one.

Unless Nintendo are a pack of liars - which they are, but let's not quibble - it has already been confirmed that the Switch is not a 3DS successor, and Nintendo has no interest or desire to push it as such. Honestly, with the popularity of smartphones and the complete failure on Sony's part to support the Vita (no matter what their former CEO might claim; you can't expect your device to sell if you don't put games on it) it would be phenomenally stupid of Nintendo to abandon the handheld market. No 3DS, or 3DS successor, would leave a massive gap in the market, because smartphone gaming is not a substitute or replacement for dedicated handheld gaming, and neither is the Switch. A hybrid is neither a console nor a handheld, and it doesn't fully fulfil the full potential of either market - it's too big to be a portable device in the same way the 3DS is, and it lags behind others in the market even docked. It's a Nintendo thing, yes.

But I think they still need the handheld market, and I hope they have the brains to realise they do as well. Not pushing the Switch as a 3DS successor is a good sign. But acknowledging the 3DS' dedicated install base and giving them something to move forward to - be that a successor or a proper handheld iteration of the Switch - would be better.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Those differences aren't really noticeable unless you play certain games, either - have you tried playing Hyrule Warriors on an old 3DS? I have. It's painful. A lot of later 3DS titles run so much more smoothly on the N3DS, but in a way it's just a mid (or late) cycle upgrade, much the same way the PS4 Pro is to the PS4. Most people aren't going to know or care what the difference is, even though there IS a difference. It would not sit well with a lot of people if suddenly they couldn't play any 3DS games on their 3DS because it was the wrong one.

Unless Nintendo are a pack of liars - which they are, but let's not quibble - it has already been confirmed that the Switch is not a 3DS successor, and Nintendo has no interest or desire to push it as such. Honestly, with the popularity of smartphones and the complete failure on Sony's part to support the Vita (no matter what their former CEO might claim; you can't expect your device to sell if you don't put games on it) it would be phenomenally stupid of Nintendo to abandon the handheld market. No 3DS, or 3DS successor, would leave a massive gap in the market, because smartphone gaming is not a substitute or replacement for dedicated handheld gaming, and neither is the Switch. A hybrid is neither a console nor a handheld, and it doesn't fully fulfil the full potential of either market - it's too big to be a portable device in the same way the 3DS is, and it lags behind others in the market even docked. It's a Nintendo thing, yes.

But I think they still need the handheld market, and I hope they have the brains to realise they do as well. Not pushing the Switch as a 3DS successor is a good sign. But acknowledging the 3DS' dedicated install base and giving them something to move forward to - be that a successor or a proper handheld iteration of the Switch - would be better.
    I have not played Hyrule Warriors, but I currently only own a N3DS so I've been playing Moon on that. I've heard a lot of my friends about the insane lag during double battles - while the lag is still there, it's considerably less than what I've seen happening on the O3DS and the 2DS.

I agree fully, and that's what bothers me a lot about what they're potentially gonna do: I think it's a huge waste if Nintendo would drop the handheld market as a separate market and try to converge it with their console market. The two are honestly too different and Nintendo doing this would result in the handheld market being completely empty - something unimaginable. The Switch cannot replace the 3DS fully because the console market requires an entirely different model, and bringing the two markets together would result in a loss of playerbase because they cannot adhere to the needs of both. That's why the Switch's hybrid position doesn't sit right with me. I really hope Nintendo knows better and develops a new handheld system.

Thinking about this actually made me more positive about there being a different 3DS successor. Whether Pokémon will be on there is a different question.

pkmin3033

I have not played Hyrule Warriors, but I currently only own a N3DS so I've been playing Moon on that. I've heard a lot of my friends about the insane lag during double battles - while the lag is still there, it's considerably less than what I've seen happening on the O3DS and the 2DS.

I agree fully, and that's what bothers me a lot about what they're potentially gonna do: I think it's a huge waste if Nintendo would drop the handheld market as a separate market and try to converge it with their console market. The two are honestly too different and Nintendo doing this would result in the handheld market being completely empty - something unimaginable. The Switch cannot replace the 3DS fully because the console market requires an entirely different model, and bringing the two markets together would result in a loss of playerbase because they cannot adhere to the needs of both. That's why the Switch's hybrid position doesn't sit right with me. I really hope Nintendo knows better and develops a new handheld system.

Thinking about this actually made me more positive about there being a different 3DS successor. Whether Pokémon will be on there is a different question.
    Really, you need to run the two side-by-side, or alternate regularly, to notice the difference I think. I never experienced any issues with Moon...at least in terms of performance.

I think the Switch is Nintendo's attempt to do something different, much like they did the Wii. It's working, to be sure, but it doesn't negate the fact that at its heart, the Switch is still a console first and foremost and can't take the place of a handheld system. At least, not currently. A miniaturised version would solve that problem to an extent I suppose, but a dedicated handheld system that followed in the footsteps of the 3DS would do far better at that. Either way, I can't see Nintendo abandoning the handheld market fully, and I wouldn't write it off until E3 2019 at the earliest unless someone from Nintendo states categorically there will be no 3DS successor. With their stated intention to support the handheld "through 2018 and beyond" it would make little sense to announce a successor at this stage...although not having Pokemon games on it doesn't speak much for their words, because Pokemon has always been the biggest handheld-shifter. Which is why I'd call them a pack of liars for saying they'll support it that long, missing its biggest hitting series.

I don't think it's entirely out of the question...I mean, look at Nintendo's other successful franchises. Zelda, Mario, Metroid; these all have 2D and 3D variations on handheld and console that co-exist, and both sell phenomenally well. There is no reason why Pokemon moving to the Switch should spell an end to 2D handheld titles, and why if there was a 3DS successor, it couldn't have Pokemon titles too.

This is part of what irritates me - with the N3DS an untapped resource, announcing the end of Pokemon on it is, to my mind, premature. It makes no business sense - discontinuing a series on one platform in favour of another will not boost sales, it will just mean less sales because you're excluding an audience from that experience. If this thread is any indicator, a lot of people will not be buying a Switch for Pokemon for one reason or another, and that's wasted opportunity and revenue by not having an equivalent on the N3DS.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Lets take a look at the definition of what culmination means from a quick google search:

"The highest or climactic point of something, especially as attained after a long time."

Nowhere does it mean the "last," only the highest or pinnacle of something. Gen II was considered to be the "pinnacle" of the series yet it still continued, and Gen IV was considered to be the "ultimate" in terms of competitive gameplay yet we still get new additions to the metagame in later gens.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Lets take a look at the definition of what culmination means from a quick google search:

"The highest or climactic point of something, especially as attained after a long time."

Nowhere does it mean the "last," only the highest or pinnacle of something. Gen II was considered to be the "pinnacle" of the series yet it still continued, and Gen IV was considered to be the "ultimate" in terms of competitive gameplay yet we still get new additions to the metagame in later gens.
    The exact wording of the interview doesn't really matter at this point, USUM being the last 3DS Pokémon games has pretty much been confirmed since June (which is why I'm confused as to why people are so surprised about this...).

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • Pokemon had a good run on the 3DS and we have another game coming out next month so I don't mind if the next major game is on a new system. I get the feeling it will be a Switch/N3DS exclusive if it's a typical successor with a new region, new Pokemon, and so on.

Years
  • I agree fully, and that's what bothers me a lot about what they're potentially gonna do: I think it's a huge waste if Nintendo would drop the handheld market as a separate market and try to converge it with their console market. The two are honestly too different and Nintendo doing this would result in the handheld market being completely empty - something unimaginable. The Switch cannot replace the 3DS fully because the console market requires an entirely different model, and bringing the two markets together would result in a loss of playerbase because they cannot adhere to the needs of both. That's why the Switch's hybrid position doesn't sit right with me. I really hope Nintendo knows better and develops a new handheld system.

...And then what? Nintendo develops a new handheld system that, hardware-wise, is superior to the (N)3DS and it ends up costing you almost as much as the Switch at launch anyway, so what are you really gaining here? Let's not forget that the N3DS at launch was like $250 iirc; a moderately superior system that would actually be a viable alternative to the Switch would end up costing $300 anyway. Why spend that kind of money on a DS system when you can just get a Switch? Just get a Switch Mini in that case when it becomes a thing (which it most likely will).

If this thread is any indicator, a lot of people will not be buying a Switch for Pokemon for one reason or another, and that's wasted opportunity and revenue by not having an equivalent on the N3DS.

lol a few salty posters on a pokemon forum is not representative of Nintendo's consumer base at large; if the Switch's stock is anything to go by, Nintendo has nothing to worry about and their system will continue to sell like hot cakes, especially as it approaches the holiday season.

---

I don't get it. There's so much salt in this thread for the most ridiculous reasons. Can't afford a Switch? Fine. Sucks, but gaming to the best of my knowledge was always a rather increasingly expensive hobby; unless you live under a rock, this should've been apparent the moment anyone jumped from a DS to a N3DS for the sake of Pokemon. This is literally no different.

Also, Pokemon games would be more viable candidates for New Nintendo 3DS consoles if Nintendo actually gave a shit about developing New Nintendo 3DS exclusives. I'm pretty sure the number of N3DS exclusives are less than what you can count on one hand. So yeah. it's likely not happening.

While there's a possibility of a 3DS successor... why would the announcement be made of main series Pokemon games being on the Switch months ago? Why didn't Game Freak make the announcement that they were developing their next Pokemon games on an upcoming handheld, instead (they can be perfectly vague about it)? That's why I don't entirely buy the whole "wait, Pokemon might be on the next handheld, too!", because we would've heard the such from Game Freak a while ago (either Omohri or Masuda or someone else, really).

If Pokemon games take like, one to two years or so to develop, then announcing it a few months back would've been a perfect time as a teaser to get people hyped for the next handheld. But no, that's not what happened at all. So I'm fairly skeptical of any possibility of a 3DS successor, simply because Nintendo seems to be betting all their cards on the Switch and a new handheld would just take attention from that, really.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I too doubt that Nintendo will make a new handheld, at least any time soon. I mean, they did have plans to make one but that was established as Plan B should the Switch flop, and thus far the Switch is doing great!

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I too doubt that Nintendo will make a new handheld, at least any time soon. I mean, they did have plans to make one but that was established as Plan B should the Switch flop, and thus far the Switch is doing great!
    Pretty much this. I feel like the whole "we're considering a 3DS successor" quote was pretty much meant to be taken as "if the Switch freaking tanks we'll make a 3DS successor".

The Switch is doing very well, so I honestly don't see a HDS or something like that in the near future. The Switch seems to fill the role of both home console and handheld, so at best maybe they'll release a "Switch Lite" or something.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Pretty much this. I feel like the whole "we're considering a 3DS successor" quote was pretty much meant to be taken as "if the Switch freaking tanks we'll make a 3DS successor".

The Switch is doing very well, so I honestly don't see a HDS or something like that in the near future. The Switch seems to fill the role of both home console and handheld, so at best maybe they'll release a "Switch Lite" or something.

Yup ^^. Considering that we got the relatively cheap (compared to the 3DS) 2DS at the same time XY came out, there's a chance that we might get said 'Switch Lite' by the time Gen VIII comes out :3 (interestingly, the DS Lite came out a few months before the release of Diamond and Pearl too! So a slim version of the Switch by the time of Gen VIII isn't out of the question :) ).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I still feel that the Switch is likely to not work out. Pokemon main series games on tv is something i can't take seriously and i don't think i will ever like that.

You need to remember, the Switch is a hybrid console. You can play it handheld, or you can play it on the TV, it's entirely up to you. The Switch is still rather new, Pokemon Switch isn't due out until 2018 at the earliest, that's more than enough time for price drops and savings to come into ones pocket. But even with saying that, there is such a stigma against the Switch and Pokemon - "I'm not buying a Switch just for Pokemon", "Pokemon on home console is going to flop" - but since Pokemon originated on handhelds, there's no doubt in my mind that they're going to release something akin a "Switch Mini" in the future. Essentially it would be a downgraded Nintendo Switch console (much like the 2DS, which no one expected, Nintendo just release a promo video on social media and BA<) that would be a cheaper and more affordable alternative for those who want to play a few games, like Pokemon for example. All they need to do is cut down on the size of the Switch, and remove the dock from the bundle, and you've basically got yourself a new handheld or a successor to the 3DS that can still play Switch games. Yes, the Switch is mostly marketed as a home console, and game companies never release consoles in different versions other than storage/design, but considering how flexible the Switch is, and the fact that it is a handheld, I think it's rather naive to believe that the Switch in it's current form is the definitive version until their next gen console.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • are people forgetting that the name of the system comes from the fact it can switch between a handheld and a console system? are people forgetting that in almost every advertisement for the switch there is a large portion of someone carrying the switch around... in a handheld fashion? are people forgetting that nintendo doesn't care if YOU don't want the switch, if YOU don't think it's a handheld, they're gonna market it and sell it what they want it to be? which is a handheld AND console?

I agree with the people freaking out over price though. sure it's marketed at $300 but my local gamestop in America only sells it in bundles of $500 because they don't have any. Now I'm in Kyoto, hometown of Nintendo, I pass the Nintendo building and go straight to an electronics store, and they don't have any in stock at all, much less for the suggested price. my thoughts are that before they push for something as big as Pokemon to be exclusively on the Switch, it needs to be more widely distributed (I've said this before in other threads and I don't mean to make it a thing again, sorry mods)

also we don't really have any information on the actual game, I suggest that maybe we take a chill break until USUM comes out, then we'll probably get more information. no need to freak out about potential lack of anything on the next games or how you hate the switch or anything else now.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

For crying out loud, the Switch stock issues are a deliberate marketing ploy by Nintendo to make sure later units sell. They're like a toymaker, holding back items to drive that desire for it so that it sells later when they flood the market with units. It's not that they can't make enough to meet demand, it's that they WON'T. They have ALWAYS done this with their consoles. Look at the NES and SNES Classic as very recent examples. I guarantee you that by mid-2018 you will be able to walk into any store and buy either of those. Yes, the Switch is doing very well, but the early shipments sold out so quickly because there were so few of them, and they're selling out now because that desire for it has gone up in the absence of stock.

If Nintendo had done what Sony or Microsoft had done and made sure that they had enough of a supply to meet demand from Day #1 - which is absolutely something they could do - those figures would not have seemed half as impressive, and this "out of stock everywhere!" hype and panic from consumers would not have come into effect. It's very clever - especially considering it takes time for new consoles to build up a library of games - but let's not mistake it for what it isn't, hm? Also worth noting is that its still early in the console's life, and of course sales are going to be high, because people are going to be rushing to pick them up, especially because Nintendo deliberately don't produce enough to meet demand. Whether or not this trend will continue is another matter entirely. That's far too soon to call.

I find it interesting that people don't really understand how Nintendo operate despite having seen this so many times. Why would they announce a new handheld system when they're trying to currently market the hell out of the Switch? How well the Switch is doing or not doing has no bearing whatsoever on whether the 3DS gets a successor - the interest in a successor will determine that. That will not lessen thanks to the Switch. But announcing it now if its in the works would be pure stupidity, as it will draw attention away from the Switch, which is not even a year old yet and needs an established install base before they can move onto something else. That is likely, in part, why they haven't discontinued the 3DS line yet too. But the bottom line is that Nintendo are going to want their products to meet as many hands as possible, and they will not do this through one system alone.

And acting like a dedicated handheld system cannot exist alongside the Switch? That's nonsense. The Switch does NOT plug that gap in the handheld market that would be left by the 3DS' discontinuation, hybrid bollocks or no, and if that had been the case Nintendo would have marketed the Switch as a replacement for the 3DS from the get-go, which they are not doing. The intention to support the 3DS alongside the Switch is there (although I will freely admit that Nintendo may be saying that to just drive 2DS XL sales; they're certainly not above such scummy tactics) and logically, if they can support the 3DS alongside the Switch, they could support a different handheld in the future. Once the Switch has an established install base and a library of titles behind it, I would fully expect them to do just that. But introducing two new systems in such a short space of time is extremely risky...and costly for consumers, too.

One more key thing, too - money. That's all Nintendo care about, and the more systems they have out there, the more money they're going to make. The NES and SNES Classic are a thing, and you would have thought that they would have put those on the Switch VC, which I think they've left alone thus far because they're relying on other tactics to shift units...like not releasing enough of those units to push up demand. They should have stopped supporting the 3DS by now - or at least not stated intentions to support it beyond 2018 - if the Switch is their main focus. Even if the Switch continues to do well, it will not be enough for Nintendo.

And the install base for the 3DS is gigantic. There is definitely more than enough interest in handheld gaming because the 3DS is STILL selling units, despite all this whining that the hardware is ancient and it's time to "move on" and whatever else people bitter and impatient to be done with it are saying. Maybe there won't be a successor, but acting like the Switch would be sufficient is both illogical from a business perspective and would be so unlike Nintendo that, to me, it seems foolish to discount the possibility entirely. They're already disproving this by continuing to support the 3DS and releasing garbage like the NES and SNES Classic. Nintendo are not Sony and Microsoft - they will not pin all of their hopes on a single device no matter how well it sells. They haven't done that since before the Gameboy was released.

As for Pokemon - it's a system seller. One of their biggest. Announcing a new handheld system right now will lead people to the inevitable conclusion that this will be the new home for Pokemon - although I can't see why, as every other franchise they have has a 2D and 3D iteration - and will drive interest in it down in the long term, which will be bad for sales, and bad for the Switch, which they are still marketing the hell out of. Announce a new handheld now, consumers will put off buying a Switch, under the assumption that the new handheld will be cheaper and, in all likelihood, backwards compatible with their existing library of titles. That's a fairly safe assumption to make because Nintendo handhelds have ALWAYS been backwards compatible. For a while their consoles were as well. Announcing it now is a bad decision. But ruling it out for a future event because they haven't announced it now? Jumping the gun, I think.

Either way, let's not mistake this announcement or the Switch's current performance as an indicator that it will be Nintendo's only system in the future, and the sole home of Pokemon titles, because there is nowhere near enough information to support that, and looking at it historically Nintendo have always had two systems on the market, and there is no reason for that to change. They OWN the handheld market. The 3DS cannot last forever, unfortunately - especially if it will no longer have Pokemon titles on it - and splitting the install base by supporting the New 3DS only going forward will piss a lot of people off and confuse others. Let's see what 2018 and 2019 bring. If we haven't had a successor announced by the end of 2019, I'll believe one isn't coming. Until then...who knows.

Also, yes, these things cost too much and it is phenomenally unfair to the consumer. Especially considering Nintendo games rarely if ever drop in price, and sometimes even INCREASE in price as time goes on. They've mitigated that somewhat with the 3DS with the Nintendo Selects line of games, but even on online websites there isn't a huge difference between the RRP of a Nintendo game and the price they charge for one. That Nintendo are showing increasing susceptibility to exploitative schemes like season passes and outrageously priced downloadable content - and then there's locking things behind Amiibo figures; don't even get me started on that - is only more worrying for the future. People have a right to complain about prices.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I was pretty much expecting this to be the case once they'd announced that a Switch title was in the works for 2018/2019. I think USUM will be a great swansong for the 3DS era, a nice way to wrap up what has been a great generation.

Years
  • For crying out loud, the Switch stock issues are a deliberate marketing ploy

ok let's try not to have the tinfoil hat on a bit too tightly, yeah? cause obviously there's no such thing as high consumer demand that Nintendo didn't see coming, especially after the failure of the Wii U, which is interesting considering you never considered this point throughout your entire argument.

I find it interesting that people don't really understand how Nintendo operate despite having seen this so many times. Why would they announce a new handheld system when they're trying to currently market the hell out of the Switch?

So if they're currently marketing the hell out of the Switch (and will seem to do so for the foreseeable future), how the flippity hell are they going to introduce a new handheld at any point in the future, considering doing so would detract from their console sales? Why get a Wii U when the 3DS is a superior game console in literally every way including being SIGNIFICANTLY more portable? Have you even noticed the way Nintendo has even marketed the Switch so far? They market its portability above all else. The question then becomes "why would I purchase a new handheld system that does the same shit as the Switch when I can just get a Switch".

How well the Switch is doing or not doing has no bearing whatsoever on whether the 3DS gets a successor - the interest in a successor will determine that. That will not lessen thanks to the Switch. But announcing it now if its in the works would be pure stupidity, as it will draw attention away from the Switch, which is not even a year old yet and needs an established install base before they can move onto something else. That is likely, in part, why they haven't discontinued the 3DS line yet too. But the bottom line is that Nintendo are going to want their products to meet as many hands as possible, and they will not do this through one system alone.

... ???

How well the Switch is doing is obviously indicative of people's interest in the Switch itself. If you think about it in the business sense, why would they develop a shiny new handheld at any point in time when the Switch has generated interest and excitement not seen since Nintendo introduced the original Wii? At that point, you just take advantage of people's increased interest on the console market; not divide your consumer base and make them choose one or another, that's ridiculous. Why do you think Sony's handheld market has bombed in the West??

And acting like a dedicated handheld system cannot exist alongside the Switch? That's nonsense. The Switch does NOT plug that gap in the handheld market that would be left by the 3DS' discontinuation, hybrid bollocks or no, and if that had been the case Nintendo would have marketed the Switch as a replacement for the 3DS from the get-go, which they are not doing. The intention to support the 3DS alongside the Switch is there (although I will freely admit that Nintendo may be saying that to just drive 2DS XL sales; they're certainly not above such scummy tactics) and logically, if they can support the 3DS alongside the Switch, they could support a different handheld in the future. Once the Switch has an established install base and a library of titles behind it, I would fully expect them to do just that. But introducing two new systems in such a short space of time is extremely risky...and costly for consumers, too.

Sure a dedicated handheld system can exist alongside the Switch; it'll likely be the 3DS. Let's not forget that Pokemon, while certainly a 3DS flagship title, isn't the only title on the 3DS....

One more key thing, too - money. That's all Nintendo care about, and the more systems they have out there, the more money they're going to make.

This is only because their handhelds have historically been significantly cheaper than their consoles, making them an actual viable cost-worthy alternative for Nintendo's consoles for consumers. I mean, "supporting the 3DS from 2018 and beyond" can mean anything; they can just crap out new 2DS models every so often like they have been just to keep interest alive in their handhelds, but it'd be rather counterproductive to, again, make an entire new generation of handhelds that (lets be honest with ourselves, here) would rival the Switch in price, and Nintendo would gain nothing from it except divided interest and revenue loss.

Keep in mind that Nintendo lost $49 million when the Wii U crumbled to absolute dust. I dunno, maybe this is just me, but I'm fairly certain that they're keen on not making that mistake again by doing everything in their power to maintain interest in the Switch, which includes not introducing a new handheld.

Also, lets keep in mind that Nintendo could actually stand to lose money and find themselves in a rather disadvantageous position by introducing a separate handheld like that doesn't differentiate itself enough from the existing (N)3DS line. It'd be a smarter business tactic to capitalize on the existing (N)3DS consumer market rather than force people to buy a new handheld entirely just for the sake of supporting the Switch.

While you do have a point in regards to consumer interest, so far I've seen no data that people prefer a 3DS successor compared to the Switch. If this was the case, you'd expect the Switch to tank as a strong message to Nintendo that obviously the console market is not their strongest point as of recent and they should focus more on their handhelds, but obviously that is not the reality that we live in.

And the install base for the 3DS is gigantic. There is definitely more than enough interest in handheld gaming because the 3DS is STILL selling units, despite all this whining that the hardware is ancient and it's time to "move on" and whatever else people bitter and impatient to be done with it are saying. Maybe there won't be a successor, but acting like the Switch would be sufficient is both illogical from a business perspective and would be so unlike Nintendo that, to me, it seems foolish to discount the possibility entirely. They're already disproving this by continuing to support the 3DS and releasing garbage like the NES and SNES Classic. Nintendo are not Sony and Microsoft - they will not pin all of their hopes on a single device no matter how well it sells. They haven't done that since before the Gameboy was released.

No one made the point that Nintendo is going to kill the 3DS; it's just that Pokemon likely won't be on it anymore. That doesn't mean Nintendo can't come up with new IPs or work with devs to continue developing titles for the 3DS, so I don't really understand the meaning of that entire paragraph or what it's supposed to really refute.

As for Pokemon - it's a system seller. One of their biggest. Announcing a new handheld system right now will lead people to the inevitable conclusion that this will be the new home for Pokemon - although I can't see why, as every other franchise they have has a 2D and 3D iteration - and will drive interest in it down in the long term, which will be bad for sales, and bad for the Switch, which they are still marketing the hell out of. Announce a new handheld now, consumers will put off buying a Switch, under the assumption that the new handheld will be cheaper and, in all likelihood, backwards compatible with their existing library of titles. That's a fairly safe assumption to make because Nintendo handhelds have ALWAYS been backwards compatible. For a while their consoles were as well. Announcing it now is a bad decision. But ruling it out for a future event because they haven't announced it now? Jumping the gun, I think.

Announcing it any point would be a bad decision for reasons you've already stated. "Why should I waste my money on the Switch when there's a perfectly viable, cheaper candidate that has better quality titles on it and is more portable?" Even down the line when the Switch becomes a more established console with a larger library is no excuse for Nintendo to sit on their laurels and start utilizing resources for a new handheld generation when they could be using those same resources to further capitalize gains on the Switch, which they have utterly failed doing with the Wii U.

Either way, let's not mistake this announcement or the Switch's current performance as an indicator that it will be Nintendo's only system in the future, and the sole home of Pokemon titles, because there is nowhere near enough information to support that, and looking at it historically Nintendo have always had two systems on the market, and there is no reason for that to change. They OWN the handheld market. The 3DS cannot last forever, unfortunately - especially if it will no longer have Pokemon titles on it - and splitting the install base by supporting the New 3DS only going forward will piss a lot of people off and confuse others. Let's see what 2018 and 2019 bring. If we haven't had a successor announced by the end of 2019, I'll believe one isn't coming. Until then...who knows.

Nintendo has always had two systems in the market, and they were able to do well with those two systems simply because there was enough of a difference and it was advantageous and more economically friendly (to the best of my knowledge) to have two systems on the market and develop new games for both. Unless you count the Gamecube, up until now their consoles have never been portable and were always meant for home entertainment, which is why people bought into their handheld lines in the first place (aside from cost). Now that you have a console that's marketed towards portability, what's the incentive for consumers to purchase a new handheld that does exactly the same thing?

Saying the Switch is a replacement for the 3DS might be a bit of a stretch considering the 3DS is still doing rather well of course, but there's no real gain for making an alternative system that does nearly the exact same thing as the Switch which costs nearly as much (because it will). That would be counterproductive and Nintendo would only shoot themselves in the foot because of it.

Also, yes, these things cost too much and it is phenomenally unfair to the consumer. Especially considering Nintendo games rarely if ever drop in price, and sometimes even INCREASE in price as time goes on. They've mitigated that somewhat with the 3DS with the Nintendo Selects line of games, but even on online websites there isn't a huge difference between the RRP of a Nintendo game and the price they charge for one. That Nintendo are showing increasing susceptibility to exploitative schemes like season passes and outrageously priced downloadable content - and then there's locking things behind Amiibo figures; don't even get me started on that - is only more worrying for the future. People have a right to complain about prices.

Price is another reason why I doubt that Nintendo would create a new generation of handhelds. Again, it's likely that a new generation of handhelds would cost just about as much as the Switch itself, so why bother utilizing resources and money when Nintendo isn't going to see much gain from it relative to what they're charging consumers? The Switch itself is evident that Nintendo isn't going to keep their consoles around the $250 price forever like they've traditionally have with the Wii and the Wii U, so who's to say that they won't charge $300 for a similarly advanced handheld? If you want to talk about pricing the next generation handheld, you want to do so while keeping in mind the success of your console market at the same time and not bomb that as well.

This isn't to say that the next generation of handhelds is an impossibility. Unless I've missed something in this thread, no one is arguing that. It'd just be significantly disadvantageous compared to already supporting the (N)3DS market. Otherwise, Nintendo is going to have a tough time selling to existing N3DS/Switch owners to purchase an entirely new handheld which doesn't offer them much of what they don't already have.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm so fucking pissed right now. If Pokemon stops being portable, I won't be able to play any of the new games, so Pokemon being done w/main 3ds game really upsets me.

Back