• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst cases of bad luck in Pokémon Games?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
  • Just had this rage-inducing battle on Pokémon Emerald with my Shroomish against a trainer's Tentacool:

Turn 1:
    Tentacool uses Poison Sting which does critical damage and poisons Shroomish

Shroomish then misses with Tackle

Turn 2:
    Tentacool lands Supersonic

And Shroomish then hits itself with confusion

Just thinking about that battle makes me want to ask this question: What are some of the worst, most frustrating cases of bad luck you've experienced when playing Pokémon games?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I can't tell you the specific instance, but two cases had to do with confusion and poison in a wild encounter (maybe also a Tentacool?), and another one of your typical stories of hax in Battle Tower or the like (flinch hax and questionable outspeeding via quick claw).

That said, I also got magnitude'd on the first floor in PMD DX yesterday, and also suffered being hit by Sheer Cold the first time it was used against me too. :V

Years
  • Not in battle, but I came across a shiny Paras in the Safari Zone in FireRed when I only had a single Safari Ball left. Rumour has it that Paras is still roaming around the Safari Zone to this day...

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I'm gonna have to add another post to this thread now because I have literally just missed eight Supersonics in the same battle.

EIGHT. IN. A. ROW.

Should I also mention how often my Pokémon get hit by the very first Supersonic attack used against them? I'd say its pretty often. Probably 9 out of 10 times.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • One of my randomised nuzruns: My Muk managed to survive against a Garchomp, but then die against a Swellow's Brave bird one battle later. It wasn't even a crit that did her in.

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • Doing a Nuzlocke in silver once. Was switch training my Togepi to get it to lvl 7 so that it could learn metronome and finally gain exp on its own. First use of metronome and it got self destruct. Needless to say that Nuzlocke run didn't last too long.

Years
  • My worst one was definitely when my Master Ball failed.
    I was playing a japanese edition of Pokemon Gold on my GBC (It was a bootleg cartrigde that had both Pokemon Gold and Silver inside. Yes, I was that desperate, and my father wouldn't spend more money to get me the legit spanish version). Fun thing, I did not know it was the Master Ball since I couldn't read any japanese (not that i can now), I only realized that after watching my friend playing Pokemon Crystal (the legit spanish edition) and using his Master Ball. OFC, he didn't believe me when I told him that same ball failed me on Raikou.
    Luckily, trading worked just fine eventhough my cartridge was fake and thanks to the dupe glitch my friend could give me another Master Ball, which I tried to duplicate with the Red Gyarados (since he killed his during his playthrough), losing both in the process. No internet back then, we didn't know the dupe glitch didn't work with shiny pokemon.

And talking about shiny pokemon. My first shiny was a tentacool on that same Pokemon Gold, but I didn't have any pokeballs when I encountered it so I had to forfeit it. I told my friend and he spent a whole weekend surfing in Cherrygrove City trying to find the "ultra rare silver tentacool", ofc he couldn't find it because "I was -once again- messing with him". Like I said, no internet back then, so we didn't know about the shiny mechanics.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    My pokemon attacking itself in confusion 4-5 times...it was also under the effects of Fire Spin.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Doing a Nuzlocke in silver once. Was switch training my Togepi to get it to lvl 7 so that it could learn metronome and finally gain exp on its own. First use of metronome and it got self destruct. Needless to say that Nuzlocke run didn't last too long.

No. No. No. No. It is.... such a bad luck XP

Another Nuzlocke experience here, my Gyarados was the strongest member, got killed by a critical hit by a Slaking. (I caught another magikarp though)

Also, I KO'ed the only shiny I encountered so far.

EIGHT. IN. A. ROW.

Should I also mention how often my Pokémon get hit by the very first Supersonic attack used against them? I'd say its pretty often. Probably 9 out of 10 times.

Hear hear!

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • I don't have any specific instances to go off...but what about when random pokemon JUST SO HAPPEN to hit a super-effective move on you that isn't even their type?

This never ceases to amaze me and just leave me flabbergasted every single time they pull one of these coincidentally seemingly out of nowhere...literally "what are the odds of that?!?"

To elaborate because it may seem a little complicated-when you think you're gonna have no problem with a fight and suddenly you're getting a random super effective move hit on you, that isn't even the samd type as the opposing pokemon...that you never see coming.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I encountered a shiny Lillipup early in one of playthroughs of White but because I forgot to stock on poke balls right before heading the next town, all I could do is just look at it. It still hurts to this day. 😭

Back