• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Net Neutrality: Reddit comes out strong for it

Years
https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/11/22/reddit-net-neutrality-fcc-protest/

For those who browse Reddit on a daily basis, you may have noticed this morning that the site's front page was filled with posts from multitudes of subreddits urging readers to show their support for net neutrality, which could potentially be axed if FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has his way.

To sum up Ajit Pai's thoughts on net neutrality, he thinks that the FCC is "micromanaging" telecommunications providers by imposing such regulations, and that elimination of net neutrality will allow them to operate more freely and be better for the consumer. Reality check: BULLSHIT.

For those who don't know, net neutrality is what allows us to access the internet freely without any limitations on what we have access to, or how fast our connection is to said service. Without it, we would have tiered packages to services (such as social media), in addition to having to pay more to access a certain service (like Netflix) at faster speeds.

string555

Banned
Years
Lulz, how many hackers enjoy the freedom of the internet? ALL OF THEM! So what do you think said hackers would do if they actually tried to take away that freedom? It would be a war they could never win, and they would certainly be completely stupid to try and strip away that freedom. XD

string555

Banned
Years
<p>You do realize that if people enjoy the current freedom of the internet, then Net Neutrality is something that they should support? Once the current law is redacted (This was only done a few years ago, <a href="https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/923701871092441088/photo/1?" target="_blank">and other countries, such as Portugal, have already started to do this</a>), no amount of hackers will fix anything. If anything, hackers should be making themselves known right now before any of this is set in motion.</p><p>The government will do as it pleases, even if it displeases the masses. If it's more money in their pockets, they don't give a single psyduck about the consumer at the end of the day. If they can try and make money off all the people that watch a ton of Netflix by letting their ISPs charge more PURELY FOR USING NETFLIX, they will do that and profit from it, which is horribly wrong.</p><p>If anything, let's throw this into context. Imagine you download and set up an environment to build software. It's all free and all that. However, every time you go to compile, it forces you to pay $5 per build just so they can make money off every single person's internal builds and whatnot. If you're paying for a service, you should get that service to the fullest extent without any kinds of biases.</p>

I should have worded that better, what I mean is that if they keep pushing this idea of taking it away, I bet there will be more and more retaliations of different kinds from hackers. The only problem with this is that they might argue then that hackers are able to do all these attacks because of net neutrality, and that taking away that would 'greatly lessen the amount of cyberattacks' or some crap like that. So I'm not saying a retaliation is the best move, but it seems likely to happen. Either way, all I can really do is watch how it all plays out. :/

Edit: Also, on the subject of a compiler/development environment that charges you every time you compiler, the solution seems obvious. There's plenty of good programmers out there that would laugh at such a thing. It would create a big demand for development environments with free, unlimited compiles. All some good programmers have to do is create one, charge maybe $30 for it, and there you go. Even if they would not allow the sale of such software online, it would just go underground and be sold under the table. If they really tried to restrict a lot of these things that way, there is plenty of profit to be made doing underground deals like that. It might be deemed illegal, but so was alcohol in the prohibition and look at how that went. You know, "I heard Jim Bobensmicht at 405 Main Street is selling some cheap warez at his corner store. The password is 'La Resistance'." If they really remove net neutrality, I would place my bet that things will go that route until even the government officials realize the old way was better. Just my 2 cents.

btw I got some cheap warez for sale XD

Edit2: One other horrible money trap like the $5 compiler would be 'legitimate' companies giving out what is essentially ransomware. It's like "Oh, you want to encrypt your data? Cool, it's all free :D".

But then: "Oh, you want to decrypt the same data from before? Cool, that's $0.05 every 256-bit block. :D"

It's kind of funny and not funny at the same time. >:/

Last edited:
Years
https://www.scribd.com/document/353285485/Freedman-Consulting-Net-Neutrality-Poll

This finding was posted to reddit today by Steve Huffman (reddit co-founder). This goes to show you that Ajit Pai is NOT for the people.

gonna be honest here: i feel rather pessimistic.

im just genuinely worried that with a republican-majority FCC that they'll listen to "the people" lol. like... if it hasn't become abundantly clear that republicans certainly don't care about the everyday person over corporations at this point then....

Years
gonna be honest here: i feel rather pessimistic.

im just genuinely worried that with a republican-majority FCC that they'll listen to "the people" lol. like... if it hasn't become abundantly clear that republicans certainly don't care about the everyday person over corporations at this point then....
Oh I know there's no way to really stop this madness, especially with the powers at hand. However, there is still the chance that this could get overturned in court. Also, the New York Attorney General is investigating Pai and his office for fraudulent use of names to show their support towards removal of NN as well.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Not going to talk much about this beyond this:

I hope this goes to supreme court. This is beyond stupid that this guy is trying to take away something that is literally a need for not just Americans, but everyone who uses the Internet. There is literal no benefit for the people to have net neutrality taken away.

Last edited:

string555

Banned
Years
Not going to talk much about this beyond this:

I hope this goes to supreme court. This is beyond stupid that this guy is trying to take away something that is literally a need for not just Americans, but everyone who uses the Internet. There is literal no benefit for the people to have net neutrality taken away.

I think that on their end of things, taking away net neutrality takes away the 'wild west' of the internet. By limiting so many places that people can go to on the internet, it makes their jobs of analyzing crime on the web that much easier. But as I kind of hinted at before, those criminals will still be around needing to make money, so all it will end up doing is mostly pushing crime off the internet and out into the offline world, so it would be a stupid move. :/

Years
The internet is a place loads of people rely on to get their start, and if that is taken away from us, we will be extremely limited in what we can do. I absolutely hate being forced to pay for stuff like subscription services since my family are pensioners and we tend to run low all the time, and the internet has been my main form of entertainment for years.

This plan to repeal Net Neutrality shows just how many dickheaded people are in the world today, not just those toxic SJWs who want everything to change for them and them only, now this corrupted government who disrespect everyday people and only want to please the corporates.

If Net Neutrality gets killed, I have no choice but to leave this forum forever. And that will be hard to adjust to considering this is a six-year-old account I have here.

Sir Codin

Meanwhile, I'll go back to downloading anime butts like I've been doing long before Net Neutrality was even heard of. And seeing the fallout struggle to get off the ground thanks to the assload of lawsuits the FCC is about to receive. No pun intended.

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/11/22/reddit-net-neutrality-fcc-protest/
don't know, net neutrality is what allows us to access the internet freely without any limitations on what we have access to, or how fast our connection is to said service. Without it, we would have tiered packages to services (such as social media), in addition to having to pay more to access a certain service (like Netflix) at faster speeds.

I'm not super techy and stuff (and I dont have an opinion either way), but aren't tiered packages a good thing? So if I have a lower income I have the option to pay less. The Internet is being considered a necessity nowadays, so I can see how it may be beneficial to many people to not have to pay more for things that are great, but not necessary.

And Net Neutrality was implemented in 2015... why is everyone screaming apocalypse now?

Years
I'm not super techy and stuff (and I dont have an opinion either way), but aren't tiered packages a good thing? So if I have a lower income I have the option to pay less. The Internet is being considered a necessity nowadays, so I can see how it may be beneficial to many people to not have to pay more for things that are great, but not necessary.

And Net Neutrality was implemented in 2015... why is everyone screaming apocalypse now?
No this is not a good thing, because you'd be paying for these packages, in addition to your ISP's flat rate.

Years
Were these packages a thing prior to 2015? If they were, should we expect that they will be more expensive?
They were not a thing before 2015, but you do realize that the major ISPs (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc) are the ones who lobbied the FCC for removal of NN? They want to maximize profits for themselves and screw the consumer (and other businesses such as Netflix) over by forcing these consumers and companies to cough up more money to allow their traffic to flow through their routers faster, or else these services are throttled if money is not coughed up.

The regulations were enacted as a protection to the consumer before the ISPs could implement changes like what's being feared. However, with new administration who couldn't care less about the consumer and care more about the interests of business (because of the money that goes into their pockets), things like this are happening.

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
They were not a thing before 2015, but you do realize that the major ISPs (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc) are the ones who lobbied the FCC for removal of NN? They want to maximize profits for themselves and screw the consumer (and other businesses such as Netflix) over by forcing these consumers and companies to cough up more money to allow their traffic to flow through their routers faster, or else these services are throttled if money is not coughed up.

The regulations were enacted as a protection to the consumer before the ISPs could implement changes like what's being feared. However, with new administration who couldn't care less about the consumer and care more about the interests of business (because of the money that goes into their pockets), things like this are happening.

Thanks. That sounds really bad. I'm going to stay updated on this to see if my rates increase as a result...

Years
According to many organizations we might have enough votes in congress to overturn the fcc's decision, not to mention the many lawsuits from multiple states that will happen to keep the nn rules.

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
According to many organizations we might have enough votes in congress to overturn the fcc's decision, not to mention the many lawsuits from multiple states that will happen to keep the nn rules.

I read (I think USAToday) that many Republicans are even shifting to go for Net Neutrality. Considering Republicans only have a 2 person buffer in the Senate, just a few people can make a massive difference.

So basically its not all gloom and doom.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I'm pretty optimistic about congress. I knew the FCC was gonna vote to remove it, but there seems to be a good amount of bipartisan support for it in congress.

Back