• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series

Years
  • I propose that we have a chat dedicated to all things related to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series-from sharing Wonder Mail Codes to discussing the main story; it'll be great! Those games have interesting mechanics and fun moments that I believe are overshadowed by the main core series. I'm not saying I dislike the core series but I do believe other games outside of the general form should have their time in the sun! Some of them are really great and in my opinion, have amazing reply value! And you can still find most of these games! :D

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I really want to get back into PMD sometime! I've never finished the second games. Maybe once I've done most of the post-game stuff for Sun. I'm really nostalgic about PMD haha, it's been a while.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Yes!! How could you not love PMD?

*If you haven't played any of the PMD series yet, you have to play Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky ! imo they're the most iconic ones out of the whole series :)

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • Explorers of Time was one of the best gaming experiences that I will ever have, period. It's a shame that the main series games can cast such a big shadow on the Mystery Dungeon series sometimes.

What were your favorites out of the games? I'd place the second set of games (Time, Darkness, Sky) as #1.
    Super Mystery Dungeon had much better mechanics and balancing, and the story was great, but not on par with my Explorers of Time. Plus as a musician, the second set of games has the best music of any Pokemon game, main series or not (my opinion, of course.)

SirBoglor

Years
  • One of the biggest criticisms I have of Super Mystery Dungeon though, is that evolutions mean nothing. Evolving your Pokemon is really a master of aesthetic and even then it isn't strictly necessary because you can befriend just about every Gen IV Pokemon there is. I dunno, I just miss the times when evolving your Pokemon actually influenced their stats.

IQ abilities are also cool things that I wish made a comeback in Super Mystery Dungeon, but sadly not (as far as I can remember, anyway).

Yeah, I really miss IQ tactics. It gave friendly AI lots of customization that wasn't present in the other games. Should the 7th gen mystery dungeon game (if there is one) release, I hope that they re-add this feature.

Mystaldi

Spinda Master
    Years
  • I absolutely love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, so much that I actually speedrun Blue / Red Rescue Team! There is so much about the games that keep me coming back to them: the soundtrack is diverse and simply amazing, there are a wide array of play styles, and there is so much to do and complete within the games. It's overall just a great experience. If anyone for some reason would be interested in speedruns for the games, let me know haha. :)

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • My favorite entry in the series will forever be a tie between Explorers of Sky and Red Rescue Team. They both made me sob like a baby and I always go back to replay them time and time again. The character development, the story, everything is just so amazing in those two stories. I hate how underrated they are.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Mystery Dungeon games are pretty fun!

I've played at least one from each series (or generation) and generally I've enjoyed them. Gates to Infinity wasn't as engaging as I'd liked it to be but I didn't hate it. Super Mystery Dungeon is one I'm still progressing through but I'm having a lot of fun with. Red and Blue editions were fun, the storyline was decent and I have some good memories with those games. Explorers of Time/Space/Sky is just on another level, though. Not many games make me emotional, but that storyline with those characters really touched me and I just think they did an excellent job with that. It's been years since I've played through Explorers of Sky but I still have strong memories of that game and I'd really like to replay it through so I can appreciate it a little more.

SirBoglor

Years
  • To kick off some interesting discussion other than how we feel about the PMD games: how do you guys feel about monster houses?

Monster houses have given me some of the most stressful, yet rewarding strategy experiences in a game.

You know what I'm talking about. You're going through a long dungeon, and you've under-prepared your inventory. You only have so many reviver seeds to go around, and you find yourself growing scarcer and scarcer on supplies as you ascend each floor. You wonder, "when is this dungeon going to end?" Just as you find yourself close to your goal, disaster. You see that heart-sinking text.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series
    What do you do? What can you do? You find yourself surrounded, and all of a sudden every move counts. Who do you target, what items can you use, which way do you run? Doing any of these can be the difference between getting knocked out, or surviving another turn.

In the older games, I had a strong love-hate relationship with them. It all depended on whether or not I was in the mood for a challenge. Super Mystery Dungeon, though? I just viewed them as free exp. points. Idk, it just felt so much easier. It could be due to move tutoring giving you easy access to moves like heat wave and discharge. Still a wonderful challenge in the earlier parts of the story, though.

SkySilvally

♡ Worry's only wasted time ♡
    Years
  • I adore these games *.*
    I actually have two copies each of BRT, EOT, and EOS so I can keep multiple saves.

Not to mention BRT was my first Pokemon game ever.

The story in these games is just a million times better than the main series (well BW(2) and SM were ok but...). Grovyle remains one of my favorite Pokemon because of them <3

The Explorers set is by far the peak the series IMO.
    Gates was meh and SMD let me down with the weird "only one per species and no nicknames" recruitment system, even though I still liked it overall.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Yeah, the PMD series has always been my fav spin off series. EOS is definitely my favourite of them all. I found it to have the best plot, and I just think it's a great game in general. My least fav PMD I've played is probably SMD. I still liked it, just not as much as the others.

Or maybe it's because I'm biased and I thought '15 was a bad year for games

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
    Years
  • I bought SMD together with Moon 23rd nov and I don't like SMD at all! The feeling I had with BRT & EoT were so emo that I still fully remember playing the games like 10 years ago. SMD is just way too difficult imo (like too difficult for kids under 10 I would think) and I'm not a fan of the 3D concept.

Years
  • I personally really liked the story SMD, and twist from the usual was a nice surprise. Didn't make me cry anywhere near as hard as the first two did though. but i do agree it felt way easier in comparison to the other games, and i rarely encountered any monster houses which is a shame because i loved the challenge of those. The few i did encounter felt...lame my AI companions felt it was appropriate to just move spam things like heat wave which kind of sucked actually because the challenge of it was just completely gone. Though i stopped playing once i beat the game...i dunno i just got instantly bored whenever i tried to play a minute of the post game content.
    I struggled to play GTI, the story felt incredibly short in comparison to the rest of the series and the content itself, i felt, had been far too simplified for my tastes (like they had aimed for a completely younger generation of players and had forgotten about their existing fans) not to mention they didn't even have the personality quiz at the beginning, made me instantly sad xD

Now i'm in the mood to go and replay EOS...

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • @Blue; I actually got it for a bargain for like I think 20 bucks? Maybe 15 at this local game shop where I used to live so I got lucky.

As for monster houses, funnily enough I encountered one earlier today when I was playing EoS and I just barely managed to beat it but I lost two of my team members :c ah well, I still got through it. I remember encountering a bunch in red rescue team and constantly getting frustrated.

Also for GtI, I actually haven't finished it? I just wasn't feeling it as much as the other entries in the series. SMD I actually liked a hell of a lot and finished it in like 2 days and cried. It's my 3rd favorite in the entry unless you count my tie with RRT and EoS as one then it's my 2nd fave lol.

I just really love this spinoff series so much. I actually just started replaying EoS yesterday. I'm a skitty named Luna and my partner is a Shinx named Electro. I feel such a strong connection to them for some reason so I actually drew them lol..I could show anyone if you wanted to see it I guess. It's not very good but shrug. Anyways! I just..really love this series <3

SirBoglor

Years
  • Do you guys think there might be a Gen VII Mystery Dungeon? I really hope so!! Imagine a Mystery Dungeon game with SM-style graphics and it'd be SOOO amazing. @__@

I think that it depends on if they want to. I don't know about you guys but didn't SMD feel like they were trying to conclude the series? There was so much "the ultimate, complete Mystery Dungeon experience" going on with the marketing. But that may be just me.

Not only am I hopeful for a gen VII game, but I'm also curious if it could release on the Switch. SMD's graphics were pretty much on par (if not a little worse) with SM's in my opinion, so I don't think that they can make a game look too much better on the 3DS. Plus, seeing a Switch release would get me very, very hyped.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Aw, I hope Gen VII Mystery Dungeon has a remember story like what they had with Explorers of the Sky... Or else nothing can really top those games, as well deserved they should be!

Other than that, I do hope they just have one in general, with new features, and comfortable gameplay! But at the back of my mind, I hope they do something a bit more mature or dark with the games. ;v; Well, arguably they had been, but, I feel like they're missing a bit more... oomph.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • If there is a Gen 7 Mystery Dungeon, it better be on the switch because it'll look soooooooooooooooo beautiful on the switch.

Back