• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

shiny hunting. patience.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    how do you have the patience to shiny hunt? having just recently started, it is TOUGH, and my shiny luck is totally ass too. anyone have tips on keeping patience up?any horror stories of stupid long shiny hunts?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It really depends on what method you're doing. Something like SRing or just running around in the grass can be easy to handle by just watching videos or something while doing it. Something more complicated like SOS or dexnaving, it is just a matter of being patient; the shiny will come eventually.

One of my worst hunts was horde hunting on Kalos Route 7. With Shiny Charm, it's about ~1/130 chance of a shiny in a horde, but it took me over 1000 hordes before I got a shiny. Started thinking my charm wasn't working. Luckily it was a Roselia horde, which is 5%.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I find it best to Shiny-hunt while simultaneously doing something else, like leveling-up or filling your 'Dex. That way, even if you don't find a Shiny, you've at least accomplished something. When I'm eager to find a non-specific Shiny, sometimes I'll restart a game and play through in hope of randomly finding one.

My longest Shiny-hunt lasted close to a year: Headbutting in HGSS for a Shiny Burmy (male). Nearly every day for 10 months, wielding two systems at once, I would try to achieve at least 100 Burmy encounters (over 200 encounters counting Exeggcute). (If I'm doing my math right, that's close to 69k encounters total.) I found two Shiny Exeggcute and was thinking about giving up if I got another one or a Shiny female Burmy, but the male finally showed up one day when I was watching TV while playing only one system. This hunt was particularly painful since I wasn't accomplishing any other in-game tasks while doing it, but BLUE MOTHIM!

All hope is not lost, however! Some of my Shiny-hunts were completed pretty quickly. I think it was the day I chose Mt. Silver Cave as my level-up spot in VC Gold, hoping for a Shiny Misdreavus or Quagsire during the process, that I found a Shiny Misdreavus. I also got a Shiny Porygon in Platinum after less than a dozen soft-resets (accidentally) and a Shiny Lickitung in HGSS the same day I learned the Repel Trick. I even got a Shiny Squirtle after 6 SRs, but not until switching to HGSS (I'd tried for close to a month in LeafGreen).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I only shiny hunt during short bursts. Doing it extensively, I feel, is only going to lead to burnout. Basically, if I'm not successful the first time around, I take a break and come back to make another attempt.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I usually only do it when I want a certain shiny and most of mine have come from SOS or Hordes.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I personally like long hunts, after I finished all the method hunts I was left with either breeding and Pokeradar or 5% hordes and random encounters.

I don't have shiny charm but I chose the latter. Most hunts take about 1-2 months to complete.

I've done 19 full odds hunts since Nov 2017 with shinies found, including 3 fossil resets.

My horror story would be my 6th masuda method hunt for a Nidoran female. I gave up after 3500 eggs and eventually found the female in a horde after 26 phases including 1 5% Starly. That one took about a year.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I wish I had the patience to properly shiny hunt. I've tried chaining for multiple Pokemon in pretty much every game that you can do it in, but if I don't find what I'm looking for in about an hour, I generally give up. If I keep going, I'm sure I'd finally run into a shiny sooner or later, but until then I'll just keep my fingers crossed to find something in a random encounter.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    Idk was just doing it on OR and found my first shiny ever in 10 years of playing. So hyped rn been wanting to see one since I first started! Lvl 19 eevee courtesy of chaining with the dexnav patience is all I can reiterate, took around 450 total sightings.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Depends on the patience and the method. I have never successfully gotten a shiny using the masuda method but i've gotten on shiny (so far) from SRing full odds. I'm currently trying to SR for a shiny piplup on Platinum and currently on a 1000 SRs. Got a feeling that I have a long way to go before actually achieving said shiny.

Most of the shinies that I had hunted for are from the friend safari. I remember getting three shiny pidgeys trying to find the right shiny pidgey to use for a team, hahah. I also SOS chained two shinies (growlithe and vulpix) and I've gotten one shiny though hordes (vanillite). I gotta say that I do want to delve more into shiny hunting so once i get shiny piplup ill probably be moving onto a different shiny hunt.

Back