• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Features that need to Return

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are features you want to see return in the generation 8 games?

I want to see Challenge Mode return. Well, to be more specific, a difficulty level. There's been obvious complaints that Pokemon is "too easy", and I agree. Pokemon has gotten too easy. Back in Generation 5, in Pokemon Black2/White2 we had a difficulty setting. It has not been in any Pokemon game since & a generation later, the exp share became a key item over a hold item. I've heard that Gen 8 won't be as geared toward casual players, so this is the first feature that came into my mind that I though absolutely must make a return in Generation 8.

I also want to see the return of a mini game style location to the level of the Pokeathlon. I don't think it'll happen unless generation 8 takes place in a Greek like region, but, honestly? I really want a feature like this back. Pokemon isn't just for battling. This is really just wishful thinking, though. I don't think we'll ever get another Pokeathlon...

Years
  • There's dozens of things that I'd like to see return, but a proper Battle Frontier would definitely be at the top of the list. Things like the Battle Tree and Battle Maison are fine, but I loved all of the different options that the Frontier gave us, and I easily put an extra hundred+ hours on both Emerald and HeartGold because of it.

Oh, and I wish ball seals would come back. I know why they got rid of them, but all you really have to do is remove the alphabet ones, and then there should be no worries about bringing them back.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I would love to see the phenomena back, those patches of tall grass that move and there you find rare pokémon
    it would also be great if the hidden grotto came back, finding pokémon with hidden abilities and rare objects was sensational and aroused the instinct of exploration
    i talk spanish, and my english is... weird

Last edited:

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
    Years
  • Pokeathlon of Heartgold/soul silver with some upgraded things maybe with more wifi /wireless options to play with others.

Vs Seeker to battle trainers again But with some upgraded things. / Call rematches and other stuff similiar to Crystal/silver etc to see the text of who are calling for unexpected things.

Team rocket Jesse and james/meotwh i hope they will return in each new game.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • challenge mode returning would be great, like pala said. i would just hope it doesn't have to be unlocked bc i think that's really dumb. i should be able to choose difficulty right from the get go, not after beating it. i love replaying games, but it's not something everyone does, especially older fans that likely don't have all the free time on their hands like when we were in school and such.

also i think follow me feature should be a staple in every game. it's just super wholesome and makes me feel closer with my pokemon and i think that's a good part of the experience in pokemon games. it's an rpg so feeling more connected with my team makes it easier to slip into that role i've been given in the game.

Years
  • I know it's obvious, but I really need Pokemon following you to return. I think seeing it in LGPE was a good sign, so really hoping it comes to a main series game in gen 8.

I'd also like to see seasons from BWB2W2 come back. The different appearances throughout the year just added some uniqueness to those games. It would be even better if they added a ton of season-exclusive Pokemon so that playing through the games at different times of year makes it so that each playthrough feels different.

Another obvious one is a return to a previous region. Whether that's connecting the new gen 8 region with another region (maybe Kalos?) or 2 new regions, multiple regions in a game is something we've been waiting for for a long time.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2019
    For me I'd love them to re-introduce the PSS, the festival plaza was awful, I'd also love the Dexnav and the VS Seeker.

Years
  • Aside from most that was already said here (aside from following Pokémon, because I don't really dig that feature), I would like to see that button in HGSS that toggled running shoes. It was quite handy not to hold B for hours.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Emerald-style Battle Frontier, VS Seeker and Contests the way they were in Gen III. Unpopular opinion but I actually really liked Gen III contests!

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • I would love to see things like Vs. Seeker, DexNav, pokemon following you, rustling spots like in ORAS, and PSS return. Stuff like this makes the game so much faster. Now, going to the FP means wasting tens of minutes doing useless crap. With the Switch's capability, I think things like the PSS would be dope, especially if they offered voice chat and stuff, which it probably could. The follow feature also seems possible, especially with the advent of 3D ride pokemon and pokemon following you in LGPE also show that it is possible to make pokemon follow you. I also really want things like Pokeathalon and the PWT to return to, because they're just plain fun to do. I remember doing Pokeathalon for hours and hours. Finally, I want connecting regions again. I remember HG/SS region connection. When I first got the games, I didn't know that Kanto was there, and when they Oak sent me to Kanto, it blew my friggin mind. Really miss that kind of stuff. Also, I remember the expansive post game in older games like HG/SS, and I really want that stuff to come back too.

Years
  • rotom dex needs to return obv.

following pokemon would be a great feature, greater music would be... great, and a postgame world tournament. really loved it when i first played black 2

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • A lot of this has kinda already been stated but I'd love for the PSS to return. The system interface for the touchscreen in XY is one of my favorites to date. Following would be nice though I understand that's hard to program so I wouldn't be mad if it didn't return. I also really liked the way the dex nav in ORAS would display if you had caught all the available pokemon in an area, that was pretty neat and I'd like a similar feature to be implemented in the future. Some form of conquests would be cool and bringing back like voltorb flip would be nice since I think it skated past the no gambling rule that Europe has. Toggled running and roller blades could be cool. I always liked in XY that there were like three forms of walking at various speeds. And definitely please bring back the VS Seeker! Also battle restaurants!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • A good amount of postgame and side content (think the entralink missions and Join Avenue in B2W2). Gen 7's versions of those were poor versions sadly imo. And stuff like Battle Frontier would be really great to see again.
    Aside from most that was already said here (aside from following Pokémon, because I don't really dig that feature), I would like to see that button in HGSS that toggled running shoes. It was quite handy not to hold B for hours.
    Yes please! Arrgh I have having to hold a button to move fast.
    rotom dex needs to return obv.
    I disliked rotom dex's execution in USUM. I feel it has a lot of potential to be great, and was hoping it would be pre-SM release, but it was just too annoying and got in the way of other functions imo. I'm fine with bringing it back if they address the common complaints players had about it.

Back